Holly's press conference | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Holly's press conference

Status
Not open for further replies.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Somewhat limited when you only have 9 players, (actually 10, but 1 is barely D1 level).

Summit was not great offensively but she coached the hell out of intensity and that can go a long way. But if you don’t have that, and holly ain’t no phs, then you got probs.

If there aren’t any transfers then I think this year is the trough. Losing jackson and Greene isn’t much to cry over, and horston should be good.
But here's the issue. IF Holly goes, what is the impetus for incoming freshmen to stay? The campus? The AD? Holly was the one that promised PT and a free style offense. When you watch the current players, especially Rennia Davis, what is their reason to stay? The thrill of starting over in a new system with a new coach while watching many of their current teammates flee for greener pastures? The excitement of Rocky Top? Westbrook's mother has already implied on twitter that her daughters days at Tenn are numbered. I think that there will be a virtual jail break from Tenn as current players and LOI signee's flee.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Some here will not be satisfied until they see a bonfire with salt and acid poured over the remains.

It's a mixed emotion thing for me. I do hate to see a storied program tank and I really get no pleasure seeing talented players wasting their time and possible careers because of what appears to be an incompetent coaching staff.

But I so enjoy reading the orange message boards. I revel in the orange fans misery. Does that make me a bad person? :rolleyes:

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Warlick repeats the "effort" mantra quite a bit. I've seen a few UT games over the years where they didn't really look like they were making an effort but I've seen more where there seemed to be no strategy or adjustments made if something wasn't working.

A few seasons ago when Jordan Reynolds was the LVs point guard they were notoriously bad against zone defenses. The word was out to play zone and UT could be beaten. I forgot which game it was but the LVs won the tip off and the opponent immediately played zone. Reynolds looked at Warlick like she was a deer in headlights. That was a moment I won't forget because beating a zone isn't that complicated yet this team of McDonald's All Americans didn't know how.

Over the years there have been more than a few UConn players that suffered from lack of effort. Riding the pine cured most of them.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
It's a mixed emotion thing for me. I do hate to see a storied program tank and I really get no pleasure seeing talented players wasting their time and possible careers because of what appears to be an incompetent coaching staff.

But I so enjoy reading the orange message boards. I revel in the orange fans misery. Does that make me a bad person? :rolleyes:
Nope. I feel the same. For example, I don't hate the Dallas Cowboys football team or their players. What I hate are, as Steven A. Smith says, their loud, delusional fans. Same with the Lady Vols. Many of their fans are loud, delusional, and long ago drank the sputum of a brain addled Summitt during her final days of lucidity. Watching the agony of those fans brings me pleasure. Watching the effect this has on the players and WBB saddens and angers me.

GoDawgs4

MSU and All That Too
Reaction Score
After watching Vandy’s superb play against State on Sunday, I was not surprised that they beat UT. The record may be 7-21 but that team is playing much better than that record suggests.

I know comparing scores is not a valid way to look at teams but Vandy played competitive b-ball against State for four quarters losing by 16 points. UT played competitive for 2 1/2 quarters before getting destroyed by 28 points. Both games were at State.

Vandy is going to be a handful for anybody they play the rest of the season. UT appears to have mailed it in.

Reaction Score
Every time I read about the challenges and environment at Tenn, I just think what was Horston and her family thinking? Appears so illogical.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
End of the article says it: "The program deserves better. So do the fans. " I'd like to see a relevant Tennessee again. There has been enough hair shirt and ashes to satisfy me.
Not me. Tennessee can go the way of Louisiana Tech or ODU and I'd not feel the least bit sorry for any of them. I'm actually rooting for them to turn it around a bit and make the NCAA's. I don't want Holly fahred.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
John Adams has been covering the Vols for a long time, so if he's come to this conclusion, it could carry some impact.

He does write about whether (or not) the Vols will have the money to go after a name coach. (Probably not). That is actually where most of us came down in the thread about who could be the next coach of the Lady Vols. It probably won't be a name coach. In most instances, those coaches have built their programs and have nothing to gain by trying to right the ship.

However, a very successful coach at a mid-major or non P-5 school could be affordable and bring her/his passion, philosophy and process to the position.
Katie Meier, but I'd be rooting HARD for them to get Nikki Fargas.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Not me. Tennessee can go the way of Louisiana Tech or ODU and I'd not feel the least bit sorry for any of them. I'm actually rooting for them to turn it around a bit and make the NCAA's. I don't want Holly fahred.

Hardcore @EricLA and come game time next year I suspect all my venom shall be restored; but I would wish better for the dunderheaded kids who keep showing up there!

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Katie Meier, but I'd be rooting HARD for them to get Nikki Fargas.

I think there are very few things -- maybe one -- that would make Katie Meier leave the U and Tennessee isn't one of them. She's been there 14 years, is in the school' Hall of Fame and is responsible for the largest gift made in women's basketball history at the school. And the fund is now named for her.
Miami Hurricanes announce pledge for largest gift in women's basketball program history

I think the only position that might tempt her to leave is Durham, NC, where she -- as a Duke alumni, could revitalize a sliding Duke Blue Devil program.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Hardcore @EricLA and come game time next year I suspect all my venom shall be restored; but I would wish better for the dunderheaded kids who keep showing up there!
Nothing personal against the kids who choose to go there. Holly has sold them on a family atmosphere meshed with the history and aura of the Tennessee program. She's been very successful. She took over the program in 2012. Top recruits include:

Mercedes Russell, Janah Tucker (I believe they verbaled during Pat's tenure but stayed on for Holly)
Diamond Deshields (Margo went bananas on her video when she found out about that)
Jaime Nared
T'ea Cooper
Evina Westbrook, Rennia Davis, Anastasia Hayes
Zay Green, Jaz Massengill
Jordan Horston

It's a veritable "who's who" of top players who continue to gravitate to Tennessee. Even tho she struck out in 2016, it's been gangbusters since then. And some of the players were not ranked high on HG, but were high on other services and were AA's (Kuskituah and Collins come to mind). I think you can count on one hand the programs who have recruited better than Tennessee since Holly took over, and aside from Parker, I'd argue that Holly has recruited better than Pat's last 4-6 years.

So whatever she's selling, these kids are buying. But at some point you would think they would look at the lack of results at the college level, and even more selfishly, how these players are developed for the WNBA. Russell was a former #1 recruit, was cut from her WNBA team, and signed at the last minute by Seattle.

Jaime Nared was signed by the Aces, barely made the roster, and was dead last in scoring and minutes per game. With the plethora of talent coming out this year (I think there are at least 10-15 players who can have solid pro careers), I would not be surprised to see her cut next year.

Those are 2 kids who were developed completely by Holly's coaching team. There are many good to excellent coaches out there who I think could have had both better prepared and more developed for the pro game.

My last point has to do with my "recruiting the right kids". Most Tenn fans will tell you that Deshields was a chemistry problem. Cooper was even worse and she transferred out. Hayes was dismissed from the team. That's 3 problem kids in 6 years. I'm not saying they are bad people, just not right for Tennessee, and it caused problems.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Nothing personal against the kids who choose to go there. Holly has sold them on a family atmosphere meshed with the history and aura of the Tennessee program. She's been very successful. She took over the program in 2012. Top recruits include:

Mercedes Russell, Janah Tucker (I believe they verbaled during Pat's tenure but stayed on for Holly)
Diamond Deshields (Margo went bananas on her video when she found out about that)
Jaime Nared
T'ea Cooper
Evina Westbrook, Rennia Davis, Anastasia Hayes
Zay Green, Jaz Massengill
Jordan Horston

It's a veritable "who's who" of top players who continue to gravitate to Tennessee. Even tho she struck out in 2016, it's been gangbusters since then. And some of the players were not ranked high on HG, but were high on other services and were AA's (Kuskituah and Collins come to mind). I think you can count on one hand the programs who have recruited better than Tennessee since Holly took over, and aside from Parker, I'd argue that Holly has recruited better than Pat's last 4-6 years.

So whatever she's selling, these kids are buying. But at some point you would think they would look at the lack of results at the college level, and even more selfishly, how these players are developed for the WNBA. Russell was a former #1 recruit, was cut from her WNBA team, and signed at the last minute by Seattle.

Jaime Nared was signed by the Aces, barely made the roster, and was dead last in scoring and minutes per game. With the plethora of talent coming out this year (I think there are at least 10-15 players who can have solid pro careers), I would not be surprised to see her cut next year.

Those are 2 kids who were developed completely by Holly's coaching team. There are many good to excellent coaches out there who I think could have had both better prepared and more developed for the pro game.

My last point has to do with my "recruiting the right kids". Most Tenn fans will tell you that Deshields was a chemistry problem. Cooper was even worse and she transferred out. Hayes was dismissed from the team. That's 3 problem kids in 6 years. I'm not saying they are bad people, just not right for Tennessee, and it caused problems.

Russell sits all but unused at the end of Seattle's bench; or sat. Mercedes Russell WNBA Stats | Basketball-Reference.com Doubt she comes out of camp this year.

I did call the players who by apple buy over statistics "dunderheads" and there is the whole survival of the species appeal to your argument favoring Holly's unending longevity as Tenn coach. ;)

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
You got casseroles! Went to private school I guess.
I would not say private. Catholic schools for 12 years. Bunch of stuff thrown together and cooked. Casserole or not? You tell me. If you get it wrong the nuns will whack you!

Reaction Score
I used to "hate" TN, then I used to dislike TN and now I just feel sorry for TN :)
Those high school AA's that go there to be under coached and under perform probably deserve it as it's not a secret that TN does not have a real offense and no real understanding of defense.
True, Sad and not so true. Under coached: True. No real offense or defense, SAD. The kids deserve it: Not true. I have no knowledge of what any UT kid went there for. I ASSUME they went hearing and seduced into the past glory of the Vols or another great sales pitch. It is widely assumed Holly is very good recruiter.
Each kid that goes to Uconn, ND, Ms St, Louisville, OR U Tenn deserve the best training and education available. Be it basketball or academics. They should get the best (available at that school) instructions, facilities, coaches, Profs/Instructors they are due that.
The kids put in extraordinary hours of practices, weight rooms, conditioning before going to classes. Geno often throws around these kids get 50,000 each year in education, etc. I won't make a guess of how many hours in getting ready for the game and games are given or classroom study time'; it must be exceptional. How much is that time worth?? The entertain ment we get each year is worth millions. Take the highest rated TV show 2 times a week must have a budget of 20 to 60 million. These kids are certainly worth near that. And SO ARE HOLLY's kids. Don't berate them for the failure of UT to protect them or Holly to teach them.

Reaction Score
Which is the conclusion that many on the LV board have come to. A passionate and successful coach from a mid major.
How many LV boards are out there? I’m wondering if I should be checking out somewhere more interesting/less delusional than Volnation. I thought the SBN site was better before all the WBB regulars left, but that was several years ago.

Not willing to spend money to get oast a paywall, though.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Don't berate them for the failure of UT to protect them or Holly to teach them.

I don't see berating, but maybe it is semantics, because after what 7 or 8 years of Holly and certainly for all those who signed up for the last few years, the slightest attention to her record would have advised them to stay away, but they took no heed. Not them. Not their AAU coaches. Not their parents.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I'd actually like a new coach to come in and turn the program around.
albeit with the same players.
Demonstrate how misguided their loyalty to Holly and Pat's memory was.
It would be great...er..useful to have another important woman's franchise.
I've been pushing Becky Hammon, a personal fav.

Reaction Score
I would not say private. Catholic schools for 12 years. Bunch of stuff thrown together and cooked. Casserole or not? You tell me. If you get it wrong the nuns will whack you!
I went to Catholic Schools too, a long time ago. If we got it wrong it was do it over, and over, rote. Father Taylor was the boogie man. Get called into his office then he and the boys talked basketball or baseball, never saw a girl get called into his sanctuary. Only once did I see any one struck by a Nun a boy who truly deserved it. He was struck once on the palm of his hand. A relative, in a school in Eastern Ct, was Mother Superior: all she had to do was look over her glasses and the school trembled; never raised a stick or hand.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I'd actually like a new coach to come in and turn the program around. albeit with the same players. Demonstrate how misguided their loyalty to Holly and Pat's memory was. It would be great...er..useful to have another important woman's franchise. I've been pushing Becky Hammon, a personal fav.
Just say no...! ;)

Reaction Score
I’ll admit I don’t watch Tennessee much because the last two years have been appalling to say the least. That said, I’ve seen/heard nothing to indicate Holly Warlick is deserving of much praise. She seems like a great person, but as a coach she seems less than stellar. Her constant talk of “they need to dig deep” and “they know what they need to do now they just have to do it” make me question her (and every other coach that spouts comments like these ad nauseam) abilities. Talk about how the offense is stalling because there are a couple players hogging the ball and thinking they need to do it all themselves. Talk about how there’s a lack of ANY intensity on the defensive end. Talk about what you’re going to do to get your players motivated. YOU are the coach Holly. That means YOU are responsible for demanding the most of your team. If they aren’t willing to give you what you’re asking for, there are plenty of seats next to you on the bench during the games. I’m baffled by coaches that can’t say something meaningful and always blame everything on “lack of heart/soul/grit/etc.” Talk X’s and O’s or admit you don’t know. I understand that effort is hugely important in sports, but even giving 100% of your effort doesn’t mean a thing if players aren’t playing team ball in a team sport.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Stubborn to a fault and choosing to ignore what she has done to the legacy PHS left. A great person doesn't do that.
But a completely ignorant, un-self aware person does do that! Voila-“Holly” :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom