Holly Warlick set to receive contract extension | The Boneyard

Holly Warlick set to receive contract extension

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
giphy.gif

All joking aside, she deserves it. I know some LVol fans delusionally think they should be FF locks almost every year, but the fact is that she's been recruiting gangbusters and the administration really needs to see what she can do with the plethora of talent she's amassed recently.

Frankly I think making occasional elite 8 or sweet 16 appearances should pretty much guarantee her extensions even beyond that...

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
If she gets a one year extension, then the extension is insignificant. If the plan is for Holly to coach next season, she needs the extension for recruiting purposes. Her current contract expires at the end of next season. If the extension is for multiple years, then the buyout clause is the critical, as she could still be let go if the buyout clause is reasonable.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score

Couldn't happen to a nicer woman. Congrats Holly! :cool:

Best news I've heard all day. Why stop at 3 years though?

At first, I looked at my calendar to see if today was April 1st or April 10th.

But after the initial "huh," I'm thinking along the lines of Orangutan's shades and Coco's "more than three years." Holly brings in great talent and promise every year, is generally in good spirits and wears her heart on her sleeve in those late-March moments.

But what comes of it, year-in and year-out? Some shining moments balanced by uncomfortable silences at the end of the season.

One thing I'll tell you, I won't go to VolNation for a visit for awhile. ;)

Last edited:

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
I think it's the right move. In the last couple of classes. There is very good talent. A chance to build the roster further with the next class.

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
At first, I looked at my calendar to see if this was April 1st of April 10th.

But after the initial "huh," I'm thinking along the lines of Orangutan's shades and Coco's "more than three years." Holly brings in great talent and promise every year, is generally in good spirits and wears her heart on her sleeve in those late-March moments. I will not, however, go to VolNation for a visit for awhile. ;)

Of course you won't. You're a nice guy. But I will. snicker, giggle, chortle, roll on floor, LMAO.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
All joking aside, she deserves it. I know some LVol fans delusionally think they should be FF locks almost every year, but the fact is that she's been recruiting gangbusters and the administration really needs to see what she can do with the plethora of talent she's amassed recently.

Frankly I think making occasional elite 8 or sweet 16 appearances should pretty much guarantee her extensions even beyond that...

You know it.

latest

Reaction Score
Congrats. It's what Pat would have wanted. The fans of programs like Tennessee and UConn need to get used to the idea that they aren't going to be able to win 100 games in a row or half of the championships anymore. There's simply too much talent to go around now unlike even ten years ago.

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
Congrats. It's what Pat would have wanted. The fans of programs like Tennessee and UConn need to get used to the idea that they aren't going to be able to win 100 games in a row or half of the championships anymore. There's simply too much talent to go around now unlike even ten years ago.

Killjoy.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
While I can hardly contain my joy over seeing VolNation besides themselves due to this, I disagree with many that she warranted an extension. What she didn't deserve was to be fired and to let the contract run it's course and expire next year. While I enjoy our West coast colleague, either he forgot the snark emoji :rolleyes: after his comment "she deserves it" or he's let the smog get to him. Holly has had numerous strong recruiting classes in the past, notably who just graduated in Russell and Nared, lest we forget Diamond, Te'a , Middleton, and quite a few others who were all highly regarded coming out of high school only to never improve and actually regress under her tutelage. Butch Jones could also recruit but just couldn't, you know, actually coach, and the school was able to wisely remove him. I don't know what another year with highly ranked recruits will change in her methods as this past years top class did not improve at all. Most would say Evina Westbrook devolved her skills. Annie Hayes still has no concept of logical passing or ball movement and she had significant minutes on the floor.

So yes, we can take joy in the AD not actually watching the lack of progress on the floor and rewarding a "good ole Lady Vol", the facts are she can't coach a lick and to think she will make an Elite 8 never mind a final 4 anytime soon is not logical in my assessment. Her press conferences alone should be warranted for non-extension material, never mind that with all that talent they underachieve.

Who am I to let actual "lack of coaching abilities" get in the way of my colleagues on here thinking she deserved it. Can anyone name another coach in the SEC you would take Holly over in the final minutes of tied game to see Holly out coach? Unfortunately, Old Miss fired their coach so maybe Auburn? Sad is what it really is.

Reaction Score
I'm shocked and amazed that Tennessee would give Holly any extension...........from what I understand she is a very nice person and she clearly knows how to recruit but I have never seen a coach do so little with so much............give any number of WBB coaches here roster and you can almost guarantee round of eight at a minimum..............it's got to be about the money

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
The funny thing is I am happy about this from a snarky "Well, Tennessee won't be too much of a threat as long as Holly is there" perspective AND I genuinely do think Holly seems like a good person, so good for her for getting the extension AND I think it may be the right decision for Tennessee given the situation.

Holly runs a stable program that continues (for now at least) to attract top recruits and consistently produces good results, even if they don't meet fans expectations. There's no guarantee that hiring anyone else who would be readily available would work out much better. And in the short term you could possibly drive away some of the talented kids Holly has recruited. It really might be the best move to retain Holly and hope she grows into the job.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I think it’s fortunate for HW that her good friend Phil Fulmer is sitting in the AD’s chair, and his #1 priority right now is getting football back to some kind of competitive level in the SEC. Continued mediocrity for WBB might be a better outcome than drawing more attention to the decline of WBB at TN by letting HW go.

Rocket009

Santa Cruz. CA
Reaction Score
I am overjoyed by the thought that the VolNation blowhards heads are exploding today.

I think Holly is probably as good a coach as TN can get right now. The game has changed over the last 10 years. Competition is much stronger, other schools have passed TN in organization, recruiting and coaching. They just need to adjust their expectations and they will be much happier. Be happy with 20 win seasons and a few wins in the SEC tournament each year. Win a few games in the NCAA tournament and be ecstatic.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
A move had to be made one way or another, as having only one year remaining on a coaching contract is hardly ideal when on the recruiting trail.

But, losing at home in the round of 32 is not worthy of a "pat" on the back; so, perhaps there will be no significant salary increase. And, when SC and MSU are the ones winning the SEC hardware, I can't imagine a lengthy contract extension is the right move.

Reaction Score
I am overjoyed by the thought that the VolNation blowhards heads are exploding today.

I think Holly is probably as good a coach as TN can get right now. The game has changed over the last 10 years. Competition is much stronger, other schools have passed TN in organization, recruiting and coaching. They just need to adjust their expectations and they will be much happier. Be happy with 20 win seasons and a few wins in the SEC tournament each year. Win a few games in the NCAA tournament and be ecstatic.

Not sure about the recruiting part of your statement...................they've had some of the best recruiting classes in the country over the past few years.................it just doesn't always look like it when the recruits get on the court......

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom