Holly Explains It or not... | The Boneyard

Holly Explains It or not...

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I feel for Holly. How do you coach someone out of this mindset?

Q. Jordan, losing to Alabama two straight times in the regular season, you would think the team would come in here really ready to play, yet you looked lethargic from the outset. How do you explain that?
JORDAN REYNOLDS: I think we were just overlooking this team. We didn't think we had to come out here and play to the best of our ability because we came off a very good win.

Q. Mercedes, can you put into words how frustrating it is for this team to beat some of the teams you beat this year, then to bow out in the first round of the tournament.
MERCEDES RUSSELL: It's obviously very frustrating because our play is so up-and-down. Sometimes we play so good, then we come back against a team like Alabama. We think it's okay to not play our best. That really hurt us at times.

ASAP Sports Transcripts - Basketball - 2017 - SOUTHEASTERN CONFERENCE WOMEN'S BASKETBALL TOURNAMENT - March 2 - Holly Warlick - Jordan Reynolds - Mercedes Russell

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
You've got problems when your players think they just have to show up for a guaranteed W against a team they had already lost to. I'm trying to imagine what Geno would do if one of his players said anything remotely close to that. What I'm imagining is not pretty.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Its a real sad situation at Tennessee. Players thinking its okay to overlook an opponent and not give it their best. Then the coach saying we prepared as we have for all our games. Never going to contend for an SEC title or a National Championship with those attitudes.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Players and Holly aren't on the Same Page. It would appear Players don't believe what the Coaches are saying or ignoring them. They won't make a change of the Head Coach, but they should.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
I think they'll get to the Elite 8 again, depending on matchups, and Holly will be there at least 5 more years. Unless they get stuck in Uconn's bracket as an 8 seed, which I would love....

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Wow!!! That explains the losses. They were looking past them....Georgia, Ole Miss, Alabama, etc....

Wow!

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
This is a very sad situation. Holly looked like she really wanted to cry.

UConnNick,
Geno would have done what he did in the Notre Dame game. "They are kicking your _ _ _ out there, if you don't want to play, take off the _ _ _ _ _ _ _ uniform". The players for UConn know, they do not look pass an opponent. They do not take anything or anyone for granted.

There is something wrong with Tennessee, and it need to be fixed ASAP.

Reaction Score

Q. Jordan, losing to Alabama two straight times in the regular season, you would think the team would come in here really ready to play, yet you looked lethargic from the outset. How do you explain that?
JORDAN REYNOLDS: I think we were just overlooking this team. We didn't think we had to come out here and play to the best of our ability because we came off a very good win.

Q. Mercedes, can you put into words how frustrating it is for this team to beat some of the teams you beat this year, then to bow out in the first round of the tournament.
MERCEDES RUSSELL: It's obviously very frustrating because our play is so up-and-down. Sometimes we play so good, then we come back against a team like Alabama. We think it's okay to not play our best. That really hurt us at times.

ASAP Sports Transcripts - Basketball - 2017 - SOUTHEASTERN CONFERENCE WOMEN'S BASKETBALL TOURNAMENT - March 2 - Holly Warlick - Jordan Reynolds - Mercedes Russell
I'd say do your homework and don't recruit them in the first place. I wonder how many kids with this mindset Pat Summitt let into her program or let stay. I'd think close to zero. And Warlick learned nothing from her in all those years. Pathetic.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
It was extremely uncomfortable for me watching her and the two players for the first minute. Holly looks so uncomfortable and lost as to what just happened. While I hear she loves Tennessee and can clearly recruit players, she is not capable of coaching team ball or accountability-the players or her own. The real sad news is she has two more years on her contract ($650,000 per year) and they can't afford to buy her out.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
You think Geno will use this somewhere in his next locker room speech before the game? Warning the team to not look past their next opponent? Geno has been preaching this all season, but it bares repeating none the less. The Tennessee players admitted to allowing a cancer in their locker room that could never exist in UConn's. Hopefully they will learn from this over site, and play through it.
That admission was embarrassing for the entire program.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
It's funny that word - "Overlooking" people. I happen to think that for the first time in many years some of the higher ranked teams were overlooking TENN. That's a big part of why they beat those teams. Of course thy have tons of talent and are capable, but I really don't think any of those teams they beat come out with the same mind-set if they face them in the tournament. I'd like to see a re-match of Tenn with Notre Dame for example.

Reaction Score
If the highly ranked class has the same lack of fire in their bellies, then they will get the same results. I don't think it's a coincidence that Tennessee and UConn don't seem to get into many head-to-head recruiting battles anymore. They might both be on the early 12-15 schools considered by top players, but when the coaches and players narrow things down to their finalists, Tennessee and UConn candidate lists don't seem to overlap much. They appear to be looking for different things.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Most Tennessee teams were not great on the offensive end, but Pat focused on defense and rebounding, while pushing the players very hard. In a sense, they were over-achievers. Since Pat left, under-achieving has been the norm. This year's team is a highly erratic enigma.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
It was extremely uncomfortable for me watching her and the two players for the first minute. Holly looks so uncomfortable and lost as to what just happened. While I hear she loves Tennessee and can clearly recruit players, she is not capable of coaching team ball or accountability-the players or her own. The real sad news is she has two more years on her contract ($650,000 per year) and they can't afford to buy her out.

It's hard to believe they can't afford it. They're in a P5 conference and are one of the big time football revenue generators. Heck, we figured out a way to pay a 2.4 million buyout to our useless football coach, and we don't have anything remotely close to their resources. 1.3 million ought to be loose change for them. My guess is they haven't yet decided they want to fire her.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
It's hard to believe they can't afford it. They're in a P5 conference and are one of the big time football revenue generators. Heck, we figured out a way to pay a 2.4 million buyout to our useless football coach, and we don't have anything remotely close to their resources. 1.3 million ought to be loose change for them. My guess is they haven't yet decided they want to fire her.
There mess is from the resulting Title IV lawsuit when they merged the Men's and Women's Athl Dept and the fact they had to buyout 2 football coaches and at least 1 if not 2 Men's Basketball coaches. It out there in the nether world of the internet for you to peruse.

In fact, as most of us monitor WCBB, most will note that NO SCHOOLS buyout the Women's team coaches due to budgetary concerns. They will fire the coach "with cause" to not have to Pay- Swoopes, Connie Yori, Jody Adams (Witchita St). Most just let the contract expire. Assistants are usually on a one year basis.

Reaction Score

Of course one could say that they were coached into that mindset. A noticeable let up.....maybe practices are not as hard on the days leading up to certain teams.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
This is nothing new for Tenn. It goes back to when UConn got verbals from Caroline Doty Maya Moore and EDD. It start then and Pat was coaching. The LVs have fallen hard and every season it seems to get worse. It used to be you could out talent teams the LVs have proven with all their talent they cant. IMO it has something to do with big egos with some players. The effort is not there. Team ball is not there. To much one on one and a lack and discipline to play defense. What is need is a strong disciplinarian to coach this team. It can only be the coach's way not the players way. You cant be afraid to sit stars if theyre not playing the game the way the coaches want them to play and the minute they slack off bench them. Hey you either change your players or you change your players. You can lose with your non starters just as well as you can lose with your starters.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom