Holly Explains It or not... | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Holly Explains It or not...

Reaction Score
You think Geno will use this somewhere in his next locker room speech before the game? Warning the team to not look past their next opponent? Geno has been preaching this all season, but it bares repeating none the less. The Tennessee players admitted to allowing a cancer in their locker room that could never exist in UConn's. Hopefully they will learn from this over site, and play through it.
That admission was embarrassing for the entire program.

Since last season, I have been convinced that Tennessee has a severe locker room problem. Not that Warlick is a great coach, but I really believe there is something going on in the locker room, among the players, that she cant get under control.

Reaction Score
That was very painful to watch; a broken woman with a broken team. Extremely tough time for Vol fans, I'm sure. I'm sure it's time to clean house of coaching staff, rescind a number of scholarships, and start fresh with the new crop of players coming in.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I think Geno will use this all week before the game if we get matched up with Tennessee in the tourney - heh heh. (If that does happen I just hope we set a tournament record for MOV - No Mercy!!!!)

If they do put Tennessee in the Bridgeport Region, it would have to be in the first two rounds (the second game as an 8/9 seed). I don't believe Tennessee will advance beyond the second round. If they can't beat an un-ranked Alabama team that's 5-11 in conference play, how are they going to beat a higher seed with a +.500 record?

According to Charlie Creme's "Bracketology " bracket, the #7 seed (which is what they are currently projected to be), in the BP region would be in the bottom part of the bracket, along with the #2, 10 & 15 seeds. I doubt very seriously if they would meet UConn under those conditions. They would have to defeat the #10, #2 & #3 seeds on neutral courts to qualify to meet UConn in a great 8 match-up in the Bridgeport regional final. Not impossible, but highly unlikely.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
If they do put Tennessee in the Bridgeport Region, it would have to be in the first two rounds (the second game as an 8/9 seed). I don't believe Tennessee will advance beyond the second round. If they can't beat an un-ranked Alabama team that's 5-11 in conference play, how are they going to beat a higher seed with a +.500 record?

According to Charlie Creme's "Bracketology " bracket, the #7 seed (which is what they are currently projected to be), in the BP region would be in the bottom part of the bracket, along with the #2, 10 & 15 seeds. I doubt very seriously if they would meet UConn under those conditions. They would have to defeat the #10, #2 & #3 seeds on neutral courts to qualify to meet UConn in a great 8 match-up in the Bridgeport regional final. Not impossible, but highly unlikely.
One clarification. The Vols would play the #2 seed on the #2 seed's home court.

Reaction Score
If the highly ranked class has the same lack of fire in their bellies, then they will get the same results. I don't think it's a coincidence that Tennessee and UConn don't seem to get into many head-to-head recruiting battles anymore. They might both be on the early 12-15 schools considered by top players, but when the coaches and players narrow things down to their finalists, Tennessee and UConn candidate lists don't seem to overlap much. They appear to be looking for different things.

This times 1000% The real secret to UConn is quality of recruits. Not just high caliber talent, High caliber character.

arty155

Post Poster
Reaction Score
The LVs have fallen hard and every season it seems to get worse.... .
upload_2017-3-3_13-12-58.png

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
One clarification. The Vols would play the #2 seed on the #2 seed's home court.

You're right, I stand corrected. That's a game I don't think they would win.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
You're right, I stand corrected. That's a game I don't think they would win.
The thing is, the really good teams are the only ones they actually try to beat. There is a ton of talent on the LV squad and it beat Stanford, ND, South Carolina, and Miss State, the last two games on the road. The LV players would probably love to play UConn and and would be really up for the game.

University of Tennessee Official Athletic Site - Women's Basketball

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The LV players would probably love to play UConn and and would be really up for the game.

A bridge too far for the Vols.

I think the loss yesterday shows that there is far more going on with the Vols than simply inconsistent play. TN is broken. They have a problem in the locker room. The players aren't listening to Holly and they certainly are not motivated by her.

Reaction Score
"Warlick's New Contract Is Worth $665,000" by Fleser, Dan - News Sentinel, October 3, 2015 | Online Research Library: Questia

I still think there's too much money remaining on Holly's contract for them to fire her. According to this article her contract runs thru March of 2019. That means she has 2 years at 665K remaining. UT would need to write a check for 1.33 million to get rid of her. I'm guessing their brand new AD isn't going to do that. At the end of next year they may consider firing her and writing a 665K check. The other problem they'll have is that their fans are going to want a big name. So in addition to paying Holly, they're going to need to write a big check to attract an already successful coach. Also football is priority 1 thru 10 at UT, if they happened to have an extra few million lying around, they'll use it for football.

In summary, I'm skeptical that UT has any appetite to fire a coach that has had some success at a high cost and replace them at an even higher cost.

Reaction Score
If I'm one of the young talented recruits who committed to Tennessee, I would seriously question whether not I should play ball there.

Reaction Score
The thing is, the really good teams are the only ones they actually try to beat. There is a ton of talent on the LV squad and it beat Stanford, ND, South Carolina, and Miss State, the last two games on the road. The LV players would probably love to play UConn and and would be really up for the game.

Yes, they would be up for a game vs. UConn. After one of their recent wins over a top team (ND?) it was reported that they were chanting in their locker room, "We want UConn" ! It's almost enough to make me say, "Bring it on!" Likely that they will be "up" for their tournament appearance, but how long that will last, who knows??? They havent shown a lot of staying power yet. It's unlikely they will play UConn early unless they somehow land an 8 or 9 slot in Bridgeport, which most people who know better than me say wont happen. (All this waiting and thinking about the possibilities has me edgy!)

Reaction Score
Yes, they would be up for a game vs. UConn. After one of their recent wins over a top team (ND?) it was reported that they were chanting in their locker room, "We want UConn" ! It's almost enough to make me say, "Bring it on!" Likely that they will be "up" for their tournament appearance, but how long that will last, who knows??? They havent shown a lot of staying power yet. It's unlikely they will play UConn early unless they somehow land an 8 or 9 slot in Bridgeport, which most people who know better than me say wont happen. (All this waiting and thinking about the possibilities has me edgy!)
They'll be "up" until somebody punches them in the mouth. Then they'll be "down". And out.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
They'll be "up" until somebody punches them in the mouth. Then they'll be "down". And out.
Punches them figuratively, of course.

Reaction Score
"Warlick's New Contract Is Worth $665,000" by Fleser, Dan - News Sentinel, October 3, 2015 | Online Research Library: Questia

I still think there's too much money remaining on Holly's contract for them to fire her. According to this article her contract runs thru March of 2019. That means she has 2 years at 665K remaining. UT would need to write a check for 1.33 million to get rid of her. I'm guessing their brand new AD isn't going to do that. At the end of next year they may consider firing her and writing a 665K check. The other problem they'll have is that their fans are going to want a big name. So in addition to paying Holly, they're going to need to write a big check to attract an already successful coach. Also football is priority 1 thru 10 at UT, if they happened to have an extra few million lying around, they'll use it for football.

In summary, I'm skeptical that UT has any appetite to fire a coach that has had some success at a high cost and replace them at an even higher cost.

Compared with their football revenues, I'm guessing that a mill and change is nothing to UT.

Reaction Score
The majority of the Volnation blog's entries were telling Holly to hit the bricks. The minority loyalists were asking for another year with the number one recruiting class. The sober few did mention the new AD and Holly's contract as stumbling blocks for any immediate coaching change. Until Tennessee loses in the tournament, they will remain a dangerous opponent. The players will decide which team shows up.

Reaction Score
Raoul‏ @Raoul_000 51m51 minutes ago
Are there Vols fans who really think a new AD will fire a coach w/ #1 incoming recruiting class? Also—ever heard of addition by subtraction?
What does that mean? Is he saying Tennessee will only get better if Deshields leaves or if or changes to the staff are made. I still stand by thoughts that Warlick is a great ambassador for Tennessee, but an awful coach and teacher.

Reaction Score
What does that mean? Is he saying Tennessee will only get better if Deshields leaves or if or changes to the staff are made. I still stand by thoughts that Warlick is a great ambassador for Tennessee, but an awful coach and teacher.

I assume he's saying she's not going anywhere with that incoming class and that the team should just be better by shedding some bad seeds.........I guess DD is always the first person to consider based on her reputation although from what I've seen of her this year, she's been on her best behavior......

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
We've been watching his show for 3 or 4 seasons now and it's getting old.
The team loses games it should win and wins games it should lose.

Holly forgot to recruit last year and they had zero takers.

Blaming DeShields is folly.
It's the coach's job to manage personalities.

Holly is a mediocre coach at best, as has been on display on numerous occasions.
Her press conferences are painful; she has a half dozen platitudes which she trots out endlessly.
Her command of the King's English and rational thought is extremely limited.
And a typical refrain is..."I don't know, if I did, I would fix it."

And so the ball is in the new AD's court (and he has other problems as well).
She may very well get to ruin the fine class she has recruited for next season.
But the knives are out and her tenure would seem to be in some jeopardy.

I for one, would like to see her out and an exciting new hire lead the team back to relevance.

Think Becky Hammon.

Reaction Score
We've been watching his show for 3 or 4 seasons now and it's getting old.
The team loses games it should win and wins games it should lose.

Holly forgot to recruit last year and they had zero takers.

Blaming DeShields is folly.
It's the coach's job to manage personalities.

Holly is a mediocre coach at best, as has been on display on numerous occasions.
Her press conferences are painful; she has a half dozen platitudes which she trots out endlessly.
Her command of the King's English and rational thought is extremely limited.
And a typical refrain is..."I don't know, if I did, I would fix it."

And so the ball is in the new AD's court (and he has other problems as well).
She may very well get to ruin the fine class she has recruited for next season.
But the knives are out and her tenure would seem to be in some jeopardy.

I for one, would like to see her out and an exciting new hire lead the team back to relevance.

Think Becky Hammon.

Good lord, man, what did Becky Hammon ever do to you? I wouldn't wish this job on my ex-wife's evil stepmother. Okay, I would but that's not the point. Sweet Becky Hammon, sheesh.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
It's hard to believe they can't afford it. They're in a P5 conference and are one of the big time football revenue generators. Heck, we figured out a way to pay a 2.4 million buyout to our useless football coach, and we don't have anything remotely close to their resources. 1.3 million ought to be loose change for them. My guess is they haven't yet decided they want to fire her.

UT has had a lot of financial problems. As noted, there is the Title IX lawsuit and they are paying several previous FB and MBB coaches.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom