Hole in schedule | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Hole in schedule

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
"3-4 was a smaller issue in a huge mess." But, It's still significant enough, in terms of revenue, to fill the date. The recent APR related "request" estimated revenue loss as $125K (for the 4 recommended) per game representing attendance of 10-12K; depending on venue and opponent. Even at .5 to .75 normal Rent attendance the amount is probably large; especially when one considers that the Athletic Dept. will probably not benefit financially from the 2013 Tourny and just "ate" $2.0 million plus in Fiesta Bowl tickets.

ARGH. It's not a 3-4 (where you play three home games and four road games every year). It's a 3-4, 4-3 where one year you play three home and four road and the next year you reverse it. There is zero evidence that the missing slot, home one year and road the next, couldn't be filled with a home and home with a CUSA or MAC opponent so that you balanced your home game. Yes, the opponent would not presumably be as strong.

It was an issue. It was not a material problem.

Reaction Score
ARGH. It's not a 3-4 (where you play three home games and four road games every year). It's a 3-4, 4-3 where one year you play three home and four road and the next year you reverse it. There is zero evidence that the missing slot, home one year and road the next, couldn't be filled with a home and home with a CUSA or MAC opponent so that you balanced your home game. Yes, the opponent would not presumably be as strong.

It was an issue. It was not a material problem.

You uninformed ignoramous.

Didn't you read Carl's link?

Reaction Score
You uninformed ignoramous.

Didn't you read Carl's link?

I swear to you, I typed in "Obviously I'm uninformed" at the end of my post, but then deleted it to not raise any unnecessary trouble. And, in fairness, because Carl seems a decent guy and my guess is he'll regret having typed that later in the day.

Reaction Score
to get back on topic, when you consider that our upcoming schedule for the next few years is likely to be an uncertain mess at this point i doubt we'll be replacing WVU with anyone that will require a return commitment. how many OOC games will we even have in 2013? i hope i'm wrong, but if we insist on another home game, which we should, a local or new england 1AA team seems the likely replacement. it'd be nice if the B12 were required to give us teams to pay as some kind of penance, but that's pretty wishful thinking

Reaction Score
It's pretty much down to this:

Best case - Boise comes in early for 2012 and simply replaces WVU on the schedule.

Second choice - The league adjusts the schedule so that every team has 3 home and 3 road conference games and we get one road game with a bigger name opponent.

Last choice - We end up with an FCS school at home.

Reaction Score
I'm tired of putting up so much info, and having people ignore it.

The wikipedia link,...i understand wikipedia is a joke of a reference, but it's the quickest way I can find to compare full listings of 1-A conference/independants standings on a yearly basis. If you can find a better link, to be able to scan through and see the listings of all the programs and their standings year by year, please post it. I"d be glad to see it.

Did you even look though? The change that has occurred in the intercollegiate landscape since 1990 is unbelievable. All of it has been centered around the 1-A college football bowl system, which exists because the lack of a true playoff system to determine a national champion since the 1800s, which in turn allowed for the existence of so many independant football programs over the years, right up until 1990, when television revenue became so important to college football, much like the NFL changed dramatically in the 1960s with television revenue (Al Davis recently passed, HUGELY instrumental), college football has been influenced by it too. Where the NFL has playoffs and a super bowl though, and has seen the league actually go through geographic changes that make sense, the college football world has the BCS and the current mess.

The closer we get to a true playoff, the more chaos there will be, because in a true playoff system, the current structure of the collegiate landscape of 121 division 1-A programs, is ludicrous.

UConn is lucky to be part of it. As much as I've wanted a split from the big east, I am no completely in support of the big east, as they've demonstrated that they finally understand all of it.

That was the problem with the SWC, prior to its breaking up probably all the schools save Baylor and Rice were seemingly always on probation. Back then, probation meant no TV. No TV, No national interest, better recruits go somewhere else. Their champion could not compete with other conference's champion/Indies in bowl games, (no national championship consideration)their bowl(Cotton) became second tier... collective corruption was as much to blame as anything else. Only an opinion.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
It's pretty much down to this:

Best case - Boise comes in early for 2012 and simply replaces WVU on the schedule.

Second choice - The league adjusts the schedule so that every team has 3 home and 3 road conference games and we get one road game with a bigger name opponent.

Last choice - We end up with an FCS school at home.
I'm getting really tired of agreeing with all of your posts.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
I'm getting really tired of agreeing with all of your posts.

this ain't no love story, its the freaking boneyard

trying to remember that gold rush quote...

Reaction Score
That was the problem with the SWC, prior to its breaking up probably all the schools save Baylor and Rice were seemingly always on probation. Back then, probation meant no TV. No TV, No national interest, better recruits go somewhere else. Their champion could not compete with other conference's champion/Indies in bowl games, (no national championship consideration)their bowl(Cotton) became second tier... collective corruption was as much to blame as anything else. Only an opinion.

Is that you toner?

never mind.

Gotta wonder what would have happened to college football had the rulings in 1983 been different, and if people in charge of these conferences today had any clue about it all.

Reaction Score
I swear to you, I typed in "Obviously I'm uninformed" at the end of my post, but then deleted it to not raise any unnecessary trouble. And, in fairness, because Carl seems a decent guy and my guess is he'll regret having typed that later in the day.

Thanks BL.

Not sure if you've ever read about it, maybe you have, maybe you haven't. But as an attorney, you can probably deal with writing better than I can. I can't figure out how to read legal documents.

Here's is Supreme Court Justice White's dissent from an important case involving the NCAA and college football in 1984.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/r/201...2/National-Politics/Graphics/JUSTICEWHITE.pdf

Here's what I think is the actual case.
http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/scripts/getcase.pl?court=us&vol=468&invol=85

Everything that's happening right now around college football, and the corruption you see Justice White (a heisman trophy candidate) predicted.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
So, UConn after less than a decade of FBS football is beyond playing a national program for exposure? Not only that, but the better long term success of the football team is to wax some FCS team at home?

The big boy programs and their fans barely even recognize UConn Football. Playing a FCS team at home does nothing to help with that.

College football is a good ol boys club that is a huge popularity contest. The only way you even can get respect or get notice is to play and beat teams already in the club.

Beating Fordham by 45 points on a game only watched in CT does nothing for that.

Go to Florida State and beat the Seminoles? People care about that. That means something to fans and pundits.

You win your way into the 'club'. Ask Utah, Boise State, TCU and even West Virginia.

Clearly we need the exposure and respect for our football program, just look at us being left behind in this latest round of expansion if you need further proof.

That's fine fan perspective, but I'm telling you that that's not how you plan for long term success of a football program. We are beyond the play anywhere for exposure stage. Well beyond it. Believe it or not. Probably don't believe it.

But yes, in the place of a full new conference member taking WVU's slots, I would rather see a 1-AA opponent come in for a 1-time game to Rentschler for 2012, than play an away game.

Reaction Score
So, UConn after less than a decade of FBS football is beyond playing a national program for exposure? Not only that, but the better long term success of the football team is to wax some FCS team at home?

The big boy programs and their fans barely even recognize UConn Football. Playing a FCS team at home does nothing to help with that.

College football is a good ol boys club that is a huge popularity contest. The only way you even can get respect or get notice is to play and beat teams already in the club.

Beating Fordham by 45 points on a game only watched in CT does nothing for that.

Go to Florida State and beat the Seminoles? People care about that. That means something to fans and pundits.

You win your way into the 'club'. Ask Utah, Boise State, TCU and even West Virginia.

Clearly we need the exposure and respect for our football program, just look at us being left behind in this latest round of expansion if you need further proof.

BL - if you're not familiar with the law case I referenced above. Oklahoma Board of Regents v. NCAA. Check it out. Learn about it, read Justice White's dissent.

Then read what this kid wrote above what I"m writing right now.

The NCAA could have done things differently with broadcasting through the years. There was definite favoritism and exclusion throughout the years. It didn't have to come to this, but what's happened since the 80s, is that an entire generation of Americans has grown up watching college football, and intercollegiate sports in general, since the late 1980s, and been exposed to an environment of intercollegiate athletics business around television broadcasting, that has created a fan outlook on intercollegiate athletic competition .....welll......that makes me feel ill.

I don't want UConn to go down that road with our fans. I want UConn fans, forever, to tune into UConn sports programming....to watch...UCONN.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Carl, you are like some crazy but well meaning Uncle.

Linking to a 15 page PDF decision from 1984 for some reference reading on a fan board is, well... nuts. Not as nuts as the fact that I skimmed it, but I digress.

I humbly suggest lifting your head up out of ancient history and dealing with the here and now. I know that those that don't learn history are doomed to repeat it. But my dad also told me that "Experience is a dear school, but a fool learns in no other."

That all said, I'm firmly with CHB and HuskyFanDan. Let's schedule the biggest fish we can and let's stick it to em. To be the best you've got to beat the best. It's that simple. We don't need to delve in to ancient history to conclude on that.

Reaction Score
And if we go play some OOC big fish and get waxed the PP haters will have another reason to complain about him. Win win.

Reaction Score
Is that you toner?

never mind.

Gotta wonder what would have happened to college football had the rulings in 1983 been different, and if people in charge of these conferences today had any clue about it all.

Why, yes it is. When using my surname, please use capital letters, I have an award named after me!

Reaction Score
Carl, you are like some crazy but well meaning Uncle.

Linking to a 15 page PDF decision from 1984 for some reference reading on a fan board is, well... nuts. Not as nuts as the fact that I skimmed it, but I digress.

I humbly suggest lifting your head up out of ancient history and dealing with the here and now. I know that those that don't learn history are doomed to repeat it. But my dad also told me that "Experience is a dear school, but a fool learns in no other."

That all said, I'm firmly with CHB and HuskyFanDan. Let's schedule the biggest fish we can and let's stick it to em. To be the best you've got to beat the best. It's that simple. We don't need to delve in to ancient history to conclude on that.

Trust me, if you don't know your history, you're doomed to make stupid mistakes that can be, and should be preventable. There is no reason whatsover to schedule an away game with anyone, without a return home game.

Understanding the intercollegiate sports landscape, is of absolute paramount importance to the future of the University of Connecticut.

The deregulation of college football broadcasting that was controlled by the NCAA up until 1984, is a monumental point in history of intercollegiate athletics in these united states. The contracts at that time ran on 4 year cycles, it's no surprise that by 1990, with every single university in the country looking for the best deal they could get in broadcasting, that the intercollegiate landscape has been in turmoil ever since.

There has been no stability in the intercollegiate conference functioning ever since - most definitely - predictably so indeed, as the lack of a true post season format based on competition on the field and conference championships does not exist. The BCS aint it, and it never will be, even if they try to use the word 'playoff'.

Understanding why this is so, and how it has happened, what kind of moves have happened over the years across the country,in the past 25 years, and how the big east conference fits into it, is of paramount importance. Maybe the new athletic director is reading, and I hope somebody's aware of it all up there high in the offices in Storrs.

The only position of strength that any single university, or coalition/league/conference of universities can have in this landscape, is two fold.

#1, a thriving fan base, and economic stable endowments and resources - people that actually buy the tickets, contribute money to the school, and buy the merchandies. That means you need coaches that can recruit, and build winning teams, and play lots of home games, and beat whomever you line up against to compete for championships. The big east tournament in MSG with the NY media behind it. A championship football game in NYC with the NY media behind it.

&

#2. - and this is what history since 1984 shows - is...CONTROL OVER YOUR OWN BROADCASTING RIGHTS.....

The worst thing that can be done, is that any university, or conference, submit to complete control of broadcasting rights to any single media enterprise. Hathaway did something close to this, with UConn media rights, and he's gone.

The contracts will be up shortly. The big east conference, is in a position of strength and stability for one single reason only. The entire conference has finally committed to the importance of stability in football. With the strength and diversity of the basketball conference, combined with teh football conference, the worst possible thing that the Big East can do in the future, is sign over all media rights to single broadcasting company.

I look forward to the future, the future at UConn is bright.

Reaction Score
Back to the topic.

We currently have 5 home, and 6 away games. If we don't schedule another home game, and play 7 games away this year? The athletic department should get dropped from UCONN. Completely. Start using the athletic facilities for something else. Clear enough?

That said. The discussion of playing an away game, this year against any opponent, even with a home game in return - is moot.

But - for dicsussion sake, there is absolutely no legitimate reason after filling the 2012 schedule with another home game, that is open b/c of WVU's move out of conference......moving forward from here, there is no legitimate reason to schedule an away game against any opponent in the country, without a home game in return.

Reaction Score
You do realize that if we don't get another member to join for 2012, the league won't allow teams play 4 road conf games and only 2 home ones, right? I mean I don't even think Marinate is that dumb. But then again this is the same league that just added Memphis, so no level of stupidity is off the table.

While I tend to agree we shouldn't, as general practice, schedule a road game without a return visit, I'd make a few exceptions to that rule. If we followed the Spackler Rule we never would've played, never mind beat, ND in South Bend.

Also, did you really just say that you hoped our AD and the higher ups at UConn are reading your posts?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Just a reminder, the last time UConn FB played a team twice in the same year, that team went on to win the National Championship.

Reaction Score
right now we need another home game. As far as big East games, I'd make Syracuse and Pitt go on the road any time their is a need to shift a game. So if UCONN needs another home conference game, the Syracuse game currently set to be at Syracuse gets changed to a UCONN home game. Rutgers needs another home game, the Pitt game at Pitt gets moved to a rutgers home game. Pitt & Syracuse don't have any home games, tough luck, as.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Just a reminder, the last time UConn FB played a team twice in the same year, that team went on to win the National Championship.
And we played UMass that year......

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Rutgers just signed for a home and home with Arkansas. Rutgers! We can't do something similar?

Reaction Score

You win your way into the club, for sure. But the way you do it is by winning. Lots of games. Soemhow the idea that Boise State had all these signature wins has become gospel...problem is it just isn't true. For the most part, they played non-conference games against middle of the road PAC 10 teams. boise became boise on the basis of one game, the Fiesta Bowl against Oklahoma. Utah was similar...they played UCLA and Arizona, not USC and Southern Cal. West Virginia is a totally different situation with a totally different history. They have been ranked at least once in every decade since the 1950s. Twice went into a bowl game unbeated, Florida in 1993 and Notre Dame in 1988. West Virginia has been a borderline national program for at least decades so they have much more acceptance. But the bottom line with all these teams isn't that they regularly beat big names, it is that they regulary beat the teams they play. If uCONN had goes 11-1 regular season next year, it won't matter who the 11 are, and not much who the 1 is. They will be ranked and ranked high. The trick is to do it again and then do it again after that. And to win your bowl game. That is a must. Doesn't matter if its the Rose Bowl or the Pinstripe Bowl. You need to win. and you can't lose to non-BCS teams in bowls. But bottom line is that you need to just win games. At the end of the day 11-1 is 11-1. And that is what gets you in the "club."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom