Hole in schedule | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Hole in schedule

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
carl the 3-4 conf stack thing is annoying, yes. but it is not the reason that teams left like u said in the 1st page. it was $$, stability and the bball schools. those were the 3 issues. 3-4 was a smaller issue in a huge mess.

do we need a home game next year? yea we do. right now were 5-6 h/a right? but if bosie isn't put into wvus spot then i don't see why we should settle for others. we have ncst at home and while thats not in conf, its a bcs game. with no fcs game thats the easy add, but its just a filler. why not say hey, since this year is so screwed up already why dont we do something and even though it makes our home stck not so great this year, it will pay off with team x visiting 5 years from now...

this program needs some balls. not every year can be a nice stack for the home fans when your trying to get to the next level. if the b10 called today and asked us to join but next year we have to play 11 road games and we could only play 1 fcs team at home, i wouldn't even think twice about syaing yes. sometimes you have to go for it longterm instead of just play it safe. this league is going to be here, there not going to say ahh let uconn go to the mac we dont want them any more. were safe at this level. so lets try to make it to the next one and playing more big time games than not helps that cause.

Reaction Score
Carl, stop talking down to everyone. Seriously.....wikipedia links to Divison 1-A football?

Douchey.

I'm tired of putting up so much info, and having people ignore it.

The wikipedia link,...i understand wikipedia is a joke of a reference, but it's the quickest way I can find to compare full listings of 1-A conference/independants standings on a yearly basis. If you can find a better link, to be able to scan through and see the listings of all the programs and their standings year by year, please post it. I"d be glad to see it.

Did you even look though? The change that has occurred in the intercollegiate landscape since 1990 is unbelievable. All of it has been centered around the 1-A college football bowl system, which exists because the lack of a true playoff system to determine a national champion since the 1800s, which in turn allowed for the existence of so many independant football programs over the years, right up until 1990, when television revenue became so important to college football, much like the NFL changed dramatically in the 1960s with television revenue (Al Davis recently passed, HUGELY instrumental), college football has been influenced by it too. Where the NFL has playoffs and a super bowl though, and has seen the league actually go through geographic changes that make sense, the college football world has the BCS and the current mess.

The closer we get to a true playoff, the more chaos there will be, because in a true playoff system, the current structure of the collegiate landscape of 121 division 1-A programs, is ludicrous.

UConn is lucky to be part of it. As much as I've wanted a split from the big east, I am no completely in support of the big east, as they've demonstrated that they finally understand all of it.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
you play the tough road game now carl to get the return later. your doing a nice thing by filling there schedule and they reward u with a return visit. just like the michigan series. eventually a relationship forms and now our bball and fball teams play alot. you have to reach out and try these things if u ever want schools like that to care about uconn football. we got tenn on that type of series by using our bball programs. a school depprate for a bcs ooc game like fsu will pay well and return the game down the line. plus that game will be on espn saturday afternoon etc...

oh and what happens if PP catches lightning in a bottle with whitmer and our new transfer wr's. lets say we got ourselves a really good team and not just average/good expectations floating around here. then u look at the schedule and see that we have 3 acc teams to go knock heads with. who knows what happens but were trying...unlike other schools(ruty cough)

Reaction Score
carl the 3-4 conf stack thing is annoying, yes. but it is not the reason that teams left like u said in the 1st page. it was $$, stability and the bball schools. those were the 3 issues. 3-4 was a smaller issue in a huge mess.

do we need a home game next year? yea we do. right now were 5-6 h/a right? but if bosie isn't put into wvus spot then i don't see why we should settle for others. we have ncst at home and while thats not in conf, its a bcs game. with no fcs game thats the easy add, but its just a filler. why not say hey, since this year is so screwed up already why dont we do something and even though it makes our home stck not so great this year, it will pay off with team x visiting 5 years from now...

this program needs some balls. not every year can be a nice stack for the home fans when your trying to get to the next level. if the b10 called today and asked us to join but next year we have to play 11 road games and we could only play 1 fcs team at home, i wouldn't even think twice about syaing yes. sometimes you have to go for it longterm instead of just play it safe. this league is going to be here, there not going to say ahh let uconn go to the mac we dont want them any more. were safe at this level. so lets try to make it to the next one and playing more big time games than not helps that cause.

Nope. Football is the reason that every single one of the programs, that has been part of the big east, and then left......has left. Football. Basketball (up until 2011) is the reason that any athletic department sponsoring football, has ever been part of the big east.

Stability? There is no stability in the intercollegiate landscape. There has been no stability since 1990. The big 10 is the most stable conference, because they had the foresight to grab onto the television market powers and keep it internal early on.

The 3-4 scheduling arrangement was not a problem prior to 1995 for anyone. Because there were enough independant teams in the country for any program that wanted at least 7 home games a year, to get 7 home games. It's no secret that the top programs in teh country regularly play 7 and 8 game home seasons.

Scheduling 3/4 in the current college landscapte with only 4-5 independants was a major, major headache, and source of lost potential revenue.

Brains and balls kid.

Your most important weapon is your brain.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
i give up. but i would rather toss away $50 for a usual saturday @ the rent(my costs) vs fordham this year and instead grill some grub and watch uconn @ fsu on tv this fall with my buddys at a friends house. to each his/her own. my thing is one bad year of scheduling now(while eveyrthing is a mess anyway) will lead to a great 1 later or u can have a ugly one now anyway(extra home game but its a fcs team), with nothing to look forward to later(no return game from a fsu/ok). why look at ugly now when u can look at something this program has never seen before(@fsu) and then get something great back later. i see ppl just being stubburn on getting one extra party day out of next fall. if thats the case then go call your friends up for the fsu game and do your thing. come over my house(if your female).:D

go pups 2night, we need to turn our season around on the court!

Reaction Score
to each his/her own. my thing is one bad year of scheduling now(while eveyrthing is a mess anyway) will lead to a great 1 later or u can have a ugly one now anyway(extra home game but its a fcs team), with nothing to look forward to later(no return game from a fsu/ok). why look at ugly now when u can look at something this program has never seen before(@fsu) and then get something great back later. i see ppl just being stubburn on getting one extra party day out of next fall. if thats the case then go call your friends up for the fsu game and do your thing. come over my house(if your female).:D

It's a reasonable position, but don't assume that we'll get a return game. We wouldn't exactly be negotiating from a position of leverage.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
thats the whole point though, u do this now to get something the further helps the program in the future.

i think we need to revist it for a sec.
right now for 2012 we play umass/ncst/buffalo at home and md/wm away
we play cincy and pitt at home with a home open slot becuase of wvu
we play cuse/usf/ruty/lville away.

if the BE can't fill the wvu spot with a team then it becomes a ooc game grab. having 8 teams was important to keeping the bcs bid until now when the bcs bid stuff will be dead sometime next week. if the BE fills the slot with a team then thats it, were all set. but if they don't they will then(they have to) balance the schedule. so they will flop a leaving team (lville or cuse) so that the whole league plays 3 home and away instead of 4 and 2. common sense(yes i know marinate .....i hate hime 2).

now we would have
home-umass/ncst/buff/pitt/cincy/cuse
away-md/wm/usf/lville/ruty
that leaves us with 1 open slot. the easy way out is a 7th home game vs a fcs team or we can grow some balls......
for argument sake of our 6 home game there, 5 of them will sell well with buffalo being a ? to attendance. so its not like we need a home game for more tix sold, we will do just fine $$ wise off those 6. plus if we land a @ fsu type game, on top of a return game sometime down the road, the payout will be nice for us to help build this program...

Reaction Score
wait Dan you're not even a UConn alum and you do all this work regarding recruiting and stuff? Good God man that takes some zeal. Hats off to you.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
wait Dan you're not even a UConn alum and you do all this work regarding recruiting and stuff? Good God man that takes some zeal. Hats off to you.

thanks but i don't really do much. like ive said its just a couple quick easy hashtag searches on twitter and all the info comes up. i follow that stuff so its something that i enjoy to do. i gte more info from that then any rivals/scout payment 95% of the time, rarely do i ask for what those sites say... this board was really lacking content so i started posting it all here for every1 to see but more importantly get excited about it and also start doing it(my hope atleast) and some are now. the local kids stuff is different. i have contact will some of them so i like to make those aware on here of whats going on somewhat. now i have to hope that some here stop chasing away some new posters/long time lurkers with there usual banter...and no uconn is not on my resume.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I agree with HuskyFanDan. I have season tickets and I would much rather have 6 home games to go to and have a road or neutral site test vs an elite program than have to sink money into a FCS or MAC game.

Reaction Score
I think that if FSU would give us a return game we would play them. You have to look at it from FSU's side though, why would they want to schedule us and make a trip up to East Hartford in a few years? I don't think they have a large alumni base up here, and it is not a fertile recruiting area. From their perspective why would they want to play up here? They have nothing to gain doing so.
That has made scheduling tough over the years. It is not easy to get upper level BCS teams to play a 1 and 1 with us because there is very little for them to gain.

Reaction Score
I think that if FSU would give us a return game we would play them. You have to look at it from FSU's side though, why would they want to schedule us and make a trip up to East Hartford in a few years? I don't think they have a large alumni base up here, and it is not a fertile recruiting area. From their perspective why would they want to play up here? They have nothing to gain doing so.
That has made scheduling tough over the years. It is not easy to get upper level BCS teams to play a 1 and 1 with us because there is very little for them to gain.

Fortunately, we have more leverage than just our football program to make scheduling deals, and that leverage is called 'basketball'. There's no doubt in my mind that the Michigan and Tennessee football agreements, at the very least, were sweetened by packaging a men's basketball series together with them.

It's not something that will make football schedulers seek us out, but being able to guarantee two high profile and likely to be nationally televised (read: money-producing) basketball games could tip the scales in our favor once in a while.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
I cannot believe I'm getting LOL responses for being excited about having seasons with at least 4 home games regularly for conference opponents.

That's because that's not why people think you're an idiot (again). IF you seriously think the below is true, you're beyond help. I can name about 5 better reasons before having a coffee! Apparently the red wasn't clear enough:

The 8 team minimum, and 3 and 4 rotation, is one of the biggest reasons, why the football leadership, that's wanted to leave this conference for so long, has wanted to leave the conference

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
bluewhitekid-fsu's 2012 schedule is in a mess. they have a wvu game now gone and the rest of there schedule is set. they need a bcs ooc game at any cost. they think(hype machine as usual down there) they have a shot at a bcs bowl(ship) this year and yet they won't ranking wise without a extra bcs team to boost the #'s(the more ooc they play bcs wise the better for making up from a weak acc-they have usf/fl already on). its a perfect spot for us with the opeining to get a series. its a weird year that something like this is possible so late, thats why i'm talking about it.

kingdobbs-very true. bball no doubt helps things and i like the fact thats its more than just a fball game or 2 instead we form nice little relationships. one day if we ever need to go indy for fball or bball(hope not ever) then its good to know we can do things with brand name schools.

Reaction Score
I'm tired of putting up so much info, and having people ignore it.

The wikipedia link,...i understand wikipedia is a joke of a reference, but it's the quickest way I can find to compare full listings of 1-A conference/independants standings on a yearly basis. If you can find a better link, to be able to scan through and see the listings of all the programs and their standings year by year, please post it. I"d be glad to see it.

Did you even look though? The change that has occurred in the intercollegiate landscape since 1990 is unbelievable. All of it has been centered around the 1-A college football bowl system, which exists because the lack of a true playoff system to determine a national champion since the 1800s, which in turn allowed for the existence of so many independant football programs over the years, right up until 1990, when television revenue became so important to college football, much like the NFL changed dramatically in the 1960s with television revenue (Al Davis recently passed, HUGELY instrumental), college football has been influenced by it too. Where the NFL has playoffs and a super bowl though, and has seen the league actually go through geographic changes that make sense, the college football world has the BCS and the current mess.

The closer we get to a true playoff, the more chaos there will be, because in a true playoff system, the current structure of the collegiate landscape of 121 division 1-A programs, is ludicrous.

UConn is lucky to be part of it. As much as I've wanted a split from the big east, I am no completely in support of the big east, as they've demonstrated that they finally understand all of it.

I say with all sincerity.

If you just accepted that other well informed people can legitimately disagree with you instead of concluding that anyone who does disagree doesn't understand college football and needs to be educated by you.........you wouldn't be given the hard time that you sometimes get from others on this board.

Reaction Score
That's because that's not why people think you're an idiot (again). IF you seriously think the below is true, you're beyond help. I can name about 5 better reasons before having a coffee! Apparently the red wasn't clear enough:

The 8 team minimum, and 3 and 4 rotation, is one of the biggest reasons, why the football leadership, that's wanted to leave this conference for so long, has wanted to leave the conference

Yeah. I'm beyond help. So was the Southwest Conference, and the Big 8 conference in 1995, two conferences that had existed in complete stability and harmony until the mid 1990s, in the cental and southern U.S. since the 1900s, 80+ years of existence each.

They fell apart, and rolled into the Big 12 conference when they were stuck with 3/4 scheduling and didn't have the independants anymore to fill out their schedules. And the big east ignored what the scheduling was doing to football schools other than Notre Dame since day 1 in 1992, and look where it's gotten us.

But yeah, you go ahead and believe whatever ESPN tells you is the reason the big east has lost football schools over the years.

Reaction Score
I say with all sincerity.

If you just accepted that other well informed people can legitimately disagree with you instead of concluding that anyone who does disagree doesn't understand college football and needs to be educated by you.........you wouldn't be given the hard time that you sometimes get from others on this board.

I don't have a problem with disagreement. I have a problem with disagreement, that comes from ignorance or misinformation.

Reaction Score
I agree with HuskyFanDan. I have season tickets and I would much rather have 6 home games to go to and have a road or neutral site test vs an elite program than have to sink money into a FCS or MAC game.

That's fine fan perspective, but I'm telling you that that's not how you plan for long term success of a football program. We are beyond the play anywhere for exposure stage. Well beyond it. Believe it or not. Probably don't believe it.

There is absolutely no reason for UConn to schedule a BCS/division 1-A opponent for an away game, without a home game in return. There is no reason anymore to trade a 2 away, for 1 home either. Fans may enjoy watching playing a national profile, highly ranked team on television when we are on the road, but that game, without a return on the schedule, does very little to help the program at this point.

Things were different, right up until 2010, when not even every one of the uconn football home games was available on TV to our local audience in CT, let alone the northeast.

We have a home game to fill on our schedule right now. I cannot believe that anyone would rather have 5 home games and 7 away this season. I hope no one is suggesting that. The best scenario right now, is to find a single program that will take all 7 of West Virginia's slots in the schedule. Remains to be seen what happens.

But yes, in the place of a full new conference member taking WVU's slots, I would rather see a 1-AA opponent come in for a 1-time game to Rentschler for 2012, than play an away game.

It will further help our chances of winning a conference title, and making a post season appearance.

Reaction Score

I don't think they would want a series with UConn either, but trust me, they would have no problem getting 10-15k fans at the game. They had at least that many at BCU this past fall.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
this thread needs some
images

Reaction Score
That's fine fan perspective, but I'm telling you that that's not how you plan for long term success of a football program. We are beyond the play anywhere for exposure stage. Well beyond it. Believe it or not. Probably don't believe it.

There is absolutely no reason for UConn to schedule a BCS/division 1-A opponent for an away game, without a home game in return. There is no reason anymore to trade a 2 away, for 1 home either. Fans may enjoy watching playing a national profile, highly ranked team on television when we are on the road, but that game, without a return on the schedule, does very little to help the program at this point.

Things were different, right up until 2010, when not even every one of the uconn football home games was available on TV to our local audience in CT, let alone the northeast.

We have a home game to fill on our schedule right now. I cannot believe that anyone would rather have 5 home games and 7 away this season. I hope no one is suggesting that. The best scenario right now, is to find a single program that will take all 7 of West Virginia's slots in the schedule. Remains to be seen what happens.

But yes, in the place of a full new conference member taking WVU's slots, I would rather see a 1-AA opponent come in for a 1-time game to Rentschler for 2012, than play an away game.

It will further help our chances of winning a conference title, and making a post season appearance.

I agree with much of that, with the lone exception being nuetral site games in Foxboro or the Meadowlands.

We are on SNY, we can capitalize on that and supplement that exposure with an occasional game against a national program at the Meadowlands. If we were to play BCU every year, I would be fine with it being at Foxboro every year and splitting the ticket allotment, gate, everything, 50/50.

Generally, you're right, but there are a few exceptions where it makes sense to do a neutral site game (not a home game at a neutral venue, that's a different scenario).

Reaction Score

"3-4 was a smaller issue in a huge mess." But, It's still significant enough, in terms of revenue, to fill the date. The recent APR related "request" estimated revenue loss as $125K (for the 4 recommended) per game representing attendance of 10-12K; depending on venue and opponent. Even at .5 to .75 normal Rent attendance the amount is probably large; especially when one considers that the Athletic Dept. will probably not benefit financially from the 2013 Tourny and just "ate" $2.0 million plus in Fiesta Bowl tickets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom