Hole in schedule | The Boneyard

Hole in schedule

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
In case I've missed it. Any idea who we will fill the void of WV.

It looks like Nebraska, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas A & M, Missouri and Arkansas all have openings.

Reaction Score
Don't see much of a chance any of those teams come to East Hartford this year. It'll likely be an FCS team whether we like it or not.

Reaction Score

It looks like Nebraska, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas A & M, Missouri and Arkansas all have openings.

You willing to go to any of those places in exchange for a home game? Because they aren't coming here.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
According to Yahoo sports, we have all been granted an early release from the Big East and replaced all former Big 12 teams in the Big 12. So maybe the schedule will be exactly the same as it was originally planned except the bowl tie ins will be different. Looks like Manuel is already making a difference in the athletic department.
6881440973_4f569a8b5b_m.jpg

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
According to Yahoo sports, we have all been granted an early release from the Big East and replaced all former Big 12 teams in the Big 12. So maybe the schedule will be exactly the same as it was originally planned except the bowl tie ins will be different. Looks like Manuel is already making a difference in the athletic department.
Salvation at last!

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

I'm sure this was all figured out before the Big East agreed to settle, right? Right?

Reaction Score
It has to be Boise. My guess is Boise is now playing hardball with the Big East, they will probably ask the league to pay their increased travel costs next year and waive their entrance fee, the league has probably responded by saying are you nuts? and Boise's response would be are you desperate?

Could the Big East then move to another school (Houston, UCF) that would also fill the hoops void?

BTW wouldn't it be great if the Big East could use the 20 million to buy two teams next year so we can move to an 8 game conference schedule. I would love to see Buffalo replaced by a conference game.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I'm sure this was all figured out before the Big East agreed to settle, right? Right?

LOL

Stop demanding logical solutions.Providence didn't need an extra game, theres no reason anyone else should.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
i'm pretty mad that even cuse got into the b12. cusa all over again.

Reaction Score
It has to be Boise. My guess is Boise is now playing hardball with the Big East, they will probably ask the league to pay their increased travel costs next year and waive their entrance fee, the league has probably responded by saying are you nuts? and Boise's response would be are you desperate?

Could the Big East then move to another school (Houston, UCF) that would also fill the hoops void?

BTW wouldn't it be great if the Big East could use the 20 million to buy two teams next year so we can move to an 8 game conference schedule. I would love to see Buffalo replaced by a conference game.

If you look at the actual schedules, West Virginia played their 3 home and 4 away rotation of the big east schedule in 2011, and would have played a 4 home/ 3 away big east schedule in 2012.

That means, that whomever comes in for 2012, ......IF another program comes in for 2012 and assumes West Virginia's slot in the scheduling............there's actually a pretty good incentive for a program to do that, because it presents the opportunity to immediately schedule another home game for that program for the 2012 season, since WVU has only 3 away slots for the season, and whatever program comes in, will be able to swap a previously scheduled away game from the previous conference, for a newly scheduled out of conference, home game.

What it all comes down to, is money. As always.

I wouldn't be surprised, in coming days, to find out that the big east has something up their sleeve that will be announced in short time when the big east 2012 schedules officially come out.

Reaction Score
BTW - with an 11 team big east conference, won't it be nice to have at least 4 conference games at home a year from now on. The 8 team minimum, and 3 and 4 rotation, is one of the biggest reasons, why the football leadership, that's wanted to leave this conference for so long, has wanted to leave the conference. We're the unlucky ones in 2012, being on our 3 home/ 4 away rotation.

The rest of the big east football programs that are on their 4/3 year of scheduling, will never have another football season with only 3 home games, in-conference.

Reaction Score
BTW - with an 11 team big east conference, won't it be nice to have at least 4 conference games at home a year from now on. The 8 team minimum, and 3 and 4 rotation, is one of the biggest reasons, why the football leadership, that's wanted to leave this conference for so long, has wanted to leave the conference. We're the unlucky ones in 2012, being on our 3 home/ 4 away rotation.

The rest of the big east football programs that are on their 4/3 year of scheduling, will never have another football season with only 3 home games, in-conference.

LOL!

Reaction Score
LOL!

Not sure if you really think I'm joking or not. Having only 3 conference home games a year, is a big ducking deal. A big $$$$ deal. The big east is the only conference in the country that's forced football programs into that kind of scheduling since 1995. The frigging big 8 conference and SWC conferences died and rolled into the new big 12 when there weren't enough independants to fill out a home schedule anymore.

It's a big ducking deal.

Reaction Score
First, there's no way Buffalo gets replaced-- for obvious reasons. Secondly, I see our new AD trying to atttract one of the bigger names into the Rent. Don't count out a surprise team. This is a man with Michigan sensibilities, who only stopped off in Buffalo to aquire his bonafides as a head man. He's used to thinking big.

Reaction Score
You know, I think I'll write a history book about the BCS and 1-A football. Just got to find an editor. So many people are clueless.

The BCS promotes itself as a system that was created to ensure that the national champion in football, is really the national champion. That's what it's designed to do.

In reality, the system was created, because division 1-A athletic conferences in the United States have been in complete disarray since 1990, and yup - you know who - Joe Paterno - got the ball rolling.

THe commissioners of the conferences, that had the schools with the most money to spend (and lose) got together, and created the Bowl alliance system, and the whole concept of Automatic Qualifiers developed out of it, becuase so many programs have moved.

CHeck it out.

Follow this link - look at the conference standings following the 1990 season. Trace conference standings through to 2001. Just need to click on the year forward or back at the top right of the wikipedia page. Watch the movement.

It's frigging unreal. THe big east conference non-football members, and their leader - Mike Tranghese, despised what was happening around football. But they were willing to take a seat at the table at the same time. Lucky for us, at UConn, because we'd be 1-AA program still right now.

I'm trying to educate you people on college football. We're part of this thing now, the big boys. have been for awhile.
Pay attention.

There were 26 independant 1-A football programs in 1990. 5 of them were ranked in the top 25.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1990_NCAA_Division_I-A_football_season

Reaction Score
I cannot believe I'm getting LOL responses for being excited about having seasons with at least 4 home games regularly for conference opponents.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
when our schedule looks something like
@ruty
memphis
@bosie
ucf
@usf
sdsu
@cincy
navy
@uh
smu

there isn't much to be excited about. i would rather just go collect pay checks @ big time schools and give them hell on the road.

Reaction Score
when our schedule looks something like
@ruty
memphis
@bosie
ucf
@usf
sdsu
@cincy
navy
@uh
smu

there isn't much to be excited about. i would rather just go collect pay checks @ big time schools and give them hell on the road.

I like your attitude kid. I like the way you follow the young players, the current players. But in all due respect, you have a ton to learn about college football.

Start with this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1979_NCAA_Division_I-A_football_season

Take the next 10 minutes to scan through year by year up to 2010, and look at the conference standings at the end of each season. Track the changes. Look at the number of conferences that played 6 or 7 game conference schedules over the years, while there were more than 25 independants to go around the country and fill out home schedules for everyone. Look what happened to the landscape in the 1990s. Correlate it to the BCS and this AQ status that exists, and you'll realize that UConn - is frigging lucky, to be at the table, and why the rest of the long term conferences that have been existence that compromise BCS-AQ - despise the Big East.

The only reason the big east has a seat at the table, is because in the 1990s, the independants with the most clout, joined the big east, because they're basketball programs were already there. Those programs are all now gone, and the only reason we (the big east) continue to be part of it, is because when they wrote the original plan, they forgot to write in any sort of clause for removing any of the original founding members.

I think it's time for everybody to stop crapping on the big east and get behind the University of Connecticut. We are part of this thing going forward.

It stinks that the world has come to the point where UConn football, is going to be regularly scheduling who we will be scheduling, rather than the traditional northeastern 1-A football programs historically. But you don't chagne the past, you only affect the future.

But if you're really excited about playing an away game, anywhere, over a home game? Time to re-evaluate priorities.

One of the few things, well many things, that I've found myself on the minority end of the stick over the years, being a UConn football guy, is our stance on scheduling Notre Dame, and refusing to play a neutral site.

Home games, are where it's at kid. Home games.

I completely agree, that the opponent, and quality of opponent is a big deal. For me personally, I go to see the Huskies, not the opponent, but I compeltely understand the attention for the public that scheduling a team like - Michigan - at our hosue brings.

The more important thing, is that we start putting a number between 1-25 in front of our name, on a regular basis when it comes to scheduling.

We start competiting as a regular program up in the top 25, and it will not matter who's on the schedule.

and yes - having only 3 home conference games a year, every other year for the past 20 years, has been a major contributor to the unhappiness of football members in this conference.

LOL.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Not a season ticket holder, eh? Why not?
so you would rather play umass/buffalo/fordham at home instead of umass/buffalo at home and fsu/ok or others for a ooc road game. if its the difference between 7 and 8 games at home? your that big on the extra layup at home? playing a tough road games is better exposure for our team, ppl think of our program more highly and eventually respect comes with some wins which means better series agreements.

i think our fans show up well most of the time for games, but i bet not many of them go ah shucks, we only gets # home games this year becuase instead of thumping the out of fordham were going to be on national tv @ michigan saturday afternoon.

edit- and while the tix are not in my name, i am a there most weekends minus last year(grad school). my family has had tix for years now and i used to make the short ride with freinds from school down 91 to the rent on weekends. and as soon as i finish school im prob going to be getting my own seats with another group. so please don't big time me. for a bunch of ct boys that didn't goto uconn, my freinds and i enjoy our uconn fball.

Reaction Score
Don't see much of a chance any of those teams come to East Hartford this year. It'll likely be an FCS team whether we like it or not.

I agree that none of them would come to east hartford this year but if the BE doesnt find a replacement for WVU then I would imagine they would move one of our other conference games so everyone plays 3 home and 3 away conference games, giving us the same number of home games as planned for with WVU. That means we have a slot open to play an away game in return for a future game at the rent. This is more likely to happen with a school like FSU rather than Oklahoma

Reaction Score
so you would rather play umass/buffalo/fordham at home instead of umass/buffalo at home and fsu/ok or others for a ooc road game. if its the difference between 7 and 8 games at home? your that big on the extra layup at home? playing a tough road games is better exposure for our team, ppl think of our program more highly and eventually respect comes with some wins which means better series agreements.

i think our fans show up well most of the time for games, but i bet not many of them go ah shucks, we only gets # home games this year becuase instead of thumping the **** out of fordham were going to be on national tv @ michigan saturday afternoon.

Again, I love your enthusiam about UConn football.

We lose West Virginia at home on the schedule this year. We'll need to replace them. We are much better off in the future, having 4 home conference games a year, than alternating 3 and 4, yes - even in this conference we have set up going forward. I'd prefer to have a northeastern based football conference, but that isn't the way the deck was stacked for UConn. We get to play coast to coast instead.

It just makes it that more important that we win, and start showing up in the schedules in the fall with the ranking b/w 1-25 in front of our name, and that goes back to recruiting......what you follow well.

No one is going to argue that playing Fordham at home with no television audience, is more valueable than playing Michigan in the big house when it comes to public exposure.

Reaction Score

i think our fans show up well most of the time for games, but i bet not many of them go ah shucks, we only gets # home games this year becuase instead of thumping the **** out of fordham were going to be on national tv @ michigan saturday afternoon.

edit- and while the tix are not in my name, i am a there most weekends minus last year(grad school). my family has had tix for years now and i used to make the short ride with freinds from school down 91 to the rent on weekends. and as soon as i finish school im prob going to be getting my own seats with another group. so please don't big time me. for a bunch of ct boys that didn't goto uconn, my freinds and i enjoy our uconn fball.

BTW: not sure if this was answered by anyone else, but to me - the answer to that bold - is yes. With the stipulation that our home games are being broadcast adequately, and that we would not have a return game from on eof those 'others'.

The local broadcasting being adequate, was not the case up until 2010, and the scheudling that was done through the 2000s, was entirely about going anywhere to play anyone for public exposure for a program that was less than a decade old in the BCS era.

Your brand of thinking with scheduling, forgive me....is "small time".

and yes, I'm completely serious. Agreeing to one time scheduling of away games against a fellow BCS program, is absolutely small time thinking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom