Hockey Arena Groundbreaking/Progress | Page 16 | The Boneyard

Hockey Arena Groundbreaking/Progress

Reaction Score
I sit near, and have sat near Farmington Valley fans, and both groups told me they will not be making the trip to Storrs. Since some folks are older (including me), it is understandable that they don't want to make the trip. Doesn't make them bad fans at all. I consider myself a very loyal hockey fan, but I didn't even consider going to Fenway. Lousy views, and the cold I can do without. I'm usually up for a UConn road trip - I've been to Ireland with hockey, Arizona with baseball, and several football bowls and women's final fours. But as I get older, I have to think about it a bit more. Just the way it is, for me.
I am certain there are many loyal fans who are in the same boat. I' m (or at least feel) two days older than dirt and know what you're talking about. I consider myself loyal, but I have sons who love HE hockey and provide the transportation which is especially helpful post game! This admittedly is a huge factor in my steady attendance at games. Frankly, don't know what I would do without it.

Reaction Score
Forr those wodering how SHU built an extra 1,000 seats for similar money, the answer is they didn't. Now that tickets are on sale you can see their seating chart at: https://www.ticketmaster.com/sacred...connecticut-01-20-2023/event/1D005D6AB4D61617

The lower bowl seats 2,650 with another 250 upstairs for a total of 2,900. That includes what appears on the seating chart to be a drink rail row (at a premium price) that wasn't on the videos (perhaps they hadn't been installed yet) so SRO may be limited, making it unlikely they'll reach 3,600 even with standing room. The bottom line is that their $70M (originally announced at $60M pre-construction) rink is only marginally bigger if at all compared to UConn's $70M rink. Everyone was hit with the massive construction cost increases since the pandemic started 3 years ago.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Forr those wodering how SHU built an extra 1,000 seats for similar money, the answer is they didn't. Now that tickets are on sale you can see their seating chart at: https://www.ticketmaster.com/sacred...connecticut-01-20-2023/event/1D005D6AB4D61617

The lower bowl seats 2,650 with another 250 upstairs for a total of 2,900. That includes what appears on the seating chart to be a drink rail row (at a premium price) that wasn't on the videos (perhaps they hadn't been installed yet) so SRO may be limited, making it unlikely they'll reach 3,600 even with standing room. The bottom line is that their $70M (originally announced at $60M pre-construction) rink is only marginally bigger if at all compared to UConn's $70M rink. Everyone was hit with the massive construction cost increases since the pandemic started 3 years ago.
It would also be interesting to see what amenities it has for the team. Despite its limited seating capacity, Toscano is a first class facility for players. In any event, I suspect within a year or two we will expand to get it to 3000 seats. The room appears to be there.

Reaction Score
Does anybody know what time doors open Saturday?

Reaction Score
Dan Connolly saying UConn will not play more than 3 or 4 games a season at XL.

All postseason games will be played at Storrs.

Season ticket packages will include Storrs and Hartford.

Reaction Score

I can't see them only doing 3/4 games in Hartford

Reaction Score

That seems like a massive course correction. I'd always been let to believe it would be a 50/50 split like for basketball.

Reaction Score
Let’s see what terms the CRDA offers now. Could be a negotiating ploy. Smart idea by UConn if so.
Idk. There may be more money in Storrs unless they give an unbelievable deal.

Reaction Score
It would also be interesting to see what amenities it has for the team. Despite its limited seating capacity, Toscano is a first class facility for players. In any event, I suspect within a year or two we will expand to get it to 3000 seats. The room appears to be there.
I doubt either school skimped on player amentiies. Here's a video featuring the SHU coaches showing off Martire's features:

I think that's far more important in recruiting than seating capacity. As long as they can get comps for family, gfs, etc. the players are satisfied. They want to know that they have the tools to develop at a high level, win and move on to the pros. Remember that virtually all of these guys are coming from junior teams that overwhelmingly draw 1K-2K per game (and sometimes less) in small barns. Give the players a competitive environment, good facilities and the knowledge that pro scouts are sitting in nice comfortable seats at every game and recruiting will be fine. I doubt many think or care that my school's **** is bigger than yours because our rink is bigger.

CL82

Reaction Score
I doubt either school skimped on player amentiies. Here's a video featuring the SHU coaches showing off Martire's features:

I think that's far more important in recruiting than seating capacity. As long as they can get comps for family, gfs, etc. the players are satisfied. They want to know that they have the tools to develop at a high level, win and move on to the pros. Remember that virtually all of these guys are coming from junior teams that overwhelmingly draw 1K-2K per game (and sometimes less) in small barns. Give the players a competitive environment, good facilities and the knowledge that pro scouts are sitting in nice comfortable seats at every game and recruiting will be fine. I doubt many think or care that my school's **** is bigger than yours because our rink is bigger.

Thanks, I hadn’t seen that. That is a very nice barn.

CL82

Reaction Score
Has the façade been finished on the front of the building?

Reaction Score

You counted every single circle in the seating chart? (respect if you did, just curious)

Reaction Score
The bottom line is that their $70M (originally announced at $60M pre-construction) rink is only marginally bigger if at all compared to UConn's $70M rink. Everyone was hit with the massive construction cost increases since the pandemic started 3 years ago.

Up to $75m in this piece…

Reaction Score

"Tickets for Saturday’s opener are already sold out, filling the roughly 4,000 seats that the arena can hold."

Per the article that Husky Medic just posted so unless they are lying in the papers, not sure your math is right.

Reaction Score
"Tickets for Saturday’s opener are already sold out, filling the roughly 4,000 seats that the arena can hold."

Per the article that Husky Medic just posted so unless they are lying in the papers, not sure your math is right.
Define “roughly” ;)

Reaction Score
One complaint about the SHU rink is that it looks like the netting goes around the whole rink not just the two ends

Reaction Score
You counted every single circle in the seating chart? (respect if you did, just curious)
I actually did. It's not that hard. When you point at the end of a row the site tells you the number of seats in it so rectangular blocks are quick to calculate and some of the section configurations are replicated around the rink. The corner sections have a different number of seats in each row so it's a bit more work. IIRC I think I got 2648 for the lower bowl including what appears to be a drink rail row that I still haven't seen in the videos (the rail is there but no seats). I wondered if those might be ticketed SRO locations behind the rail but they are actually charging a premium for them so I have to believe they are going to put in seats or stools. I didn't get tickets for their opener but I hope to make it to a game before the end of the season to see the final result.

Reaction Score
Did I miss a seating chart? I could not find online either. Of course I may just not be opening correct link.

Reaction Score
Did I miss a seating chart? I could not find online either. Of course I may just not be opening correct link.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom