Hockey Arena Groundbreaking/Progress | Page 14 | The Boneyard

Hockey Arena Groundbreaking/Progress

Reaction Score
Lol exactly, that is what college athletics is all about, playing 30 minutes off campus. That’s why there isn’t a school in the nation that actually plays their sports on campus.
But UConn has a totally singular dynamic. And a good one with the capital city where there has been substantial investment in a branch campus and there‘s also the Law and Health schools to consider. UConn has a main campus but is also more regional than other similar institutions. It works for them, and has for a very long time. That isn’t going to change, so embrace the uniqueness and enjoy it for what it is.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
But UConn has a totally singular dynamic. And a good one with the capital city where there has been substantial investment in a branch campus and there‘s also the Law and Health schools to consider. UConn has a main campus but is also more regional than other similar institutions. It works for them, and has for a very long time. That isn’t going to change, so embrace the uniqueness and enjoy it for what it is.
Ahh, exactly! That’s why every institution in the country plays it’s games on the branch campuses and not the main campus. It’s so obvious now that you’ve explained it!

Reaction Score
Ahh, exactly! That’s why every institution in the country plays it’s games on the branch campuses and not the main campus. It’s so obvious now that you’ve explained it!
Perhaps I need to define to word ”regional” for you as well…

Were you one of those against UConn hockey playing a couple of games in Bridgeport in the early hockey east years too? The Huskies are a state brand and can work anywhere in state. Kudos to their marketing teams for realizing that and doing what’s best for their programs.

CL82

Reaction Score
The Huskies are a state brand and can work anywhere in state.
So, the last time I looked Storrs was in state. Thus the Huskies “can work” there.

Well, that makes sense to me. Thank you for explaining it.

Reaction Score
The current average attendance of a UConn hockey game is 3,000. That's because they get 5 or 6 thousand from time to time at the XL Center. It's also 400 more than the capacity of the new arena. So if UConn want to remain as one of the higher attendance teams in college hockey they need to play in Hartford against some of the bigger draws.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
The funny thing is that even in it’s current condition, the XL is a much better arena than almost every one is college hockey - far from decrepit and has great sight lines. They even make the effort to mic up the band, which is far superior to almost every experience I’ve had in a dozen arenas.
I can’t with this. Delusion. Pure delusion.

Where else have you been, just Merrimack?

zls44

Reaction Score
Perhaps I need to define to word ”regional” for you as well…

Were you one of those against UConn hockey playing a couple of games in Bridgeport in the early hockey east years too? The Huskies are a state brand and can work anywhere in state. Kudos to their marketing teams for realizing that and doing what’s best for their programs.

The Bridgeport games were a complete disaster. Nobody went.

Reaction Score
I can’t with this. Delusion. Pure delusion.

Where else have you been, just Merrimack?

Only BU’s Agannis arena seemed significantly snazzier. Seriously what are you drinking? Too many Husky hops for ya? The XL stacks up favorably to all of them. Like you said it’s just too big, so fewer games there will be the perfect setup for the marketing office to concentrate on group sales, hopefully enough to make that place rock. While I’m all for improvements, plenty of MHoC fans really love the XL - are you seriously in denial of that fact?

Maybe the question is, what the heck do you look for in a barn.? Specifically what is it that makes the experience in a venue for you, because most times as compared to other college rinks, the XL has MORE, not less to offer at an event, all with great sightlines and sound.

Reaction Score
The Bridgeport games were a complete disaster. Nobody went.

Actually about 1400 did. Saw a great game vs Maine there and would not otherwise be in Bridgeport, but it was neat to see them play in a new sp@ce, It was worth the experiment. That’s still more than SHU draws there and until recently it’s their “home” and that shows there is a regional identity with this team, which should always at the very least include Hartford.

zls44

Reaction Score
Actually about 1400 did. Saw a great game vs Maine there and would not otherwise be in Bridgeport, but it was neat to see them play in a new sp@ce, It was worth the experiment. That’s still more than SHU draws there and until recently it’s their “home” and that shows there is a regional identity with this team, which should always at the very least include Hartford.

I was there. That number is a complete lie. There were 500 people there. Max.

zls44

Reaction Score
Only BU’s Agannis arena seemed significantly snazzier. Seriously what are you drinking? Too many Husky hops for ya? The XL stacks up favorably to all of them. Like you said it’s just too big, so fewer games there will be the perfect setup for the marketing office to concentrate on group sales, hopefully enough to make that place rock. While I’m all for improvements, plenty of MHoC fans really love the XL - are you seriously in denial of that fact?

Maybe the question is, what the heck do you look for in a barn.? Specifically what is it that makes the experience in a venue for you, because most times as compared to other college rinks, the XL has MORE, not less to offer at an event, all with great sightlines and sound.

The only thing the XL offers MORE of is empty dead space. The ice plant (not the pipes, the plant, which is what actually matters) is from 1979. It sucks. The ice surface is horrendous due to the constant basketball changeovers.

Also? The sound sucks. The food sucks. The atmosphere sucks. The parking sucks. The video production sucks. The scoreboard sucks.

Saying “plenty of MHoc fans really love the XL” is a statement not based on any fact. Nobody believes that except a deluded 5 or 6. Tops. Nobody likes the place. It stinks.

You have clearly never been to a single other college hockey facility. Not one. It shows. It is worse than everywhere besides Merrimack.

I want a college rink for a college team. The XL isn’t that. It never has been and never will be. It is too big, too outdated, too old.

It is worse than Agganis. It is worse than Conte. It is worse than Schneider. It is worse than Alfond. It is worse than Gutterson. It is worse than the Whitt. It is worse than Tsongas. It is worse than the Mullins Center. It is worse than Matthews.

Stop settling for less. Demand more. Your money and your time is valuable. Act like it.

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The current average attendance of a UConn hockey game is 3,000. That's because they get 5 or 6 thousand from time to time at the XL Center. It's also 400 more than the capacity of the new arena. So if UConn want to remain as one of the higher attendance teams in college hockey they need to play in Hartford against some of the bigger draws.
Exactly as intended when they built an on campus arena that is at least 1500 seats too small. It’s not like the state would fund it if meant no games at XL.

CL82

Reaction Score
Maybe the question is, what the heck do you look for in a barn.? Specifically what is it that makes the experience in a venue for you, because most times as compared to other college rinks, the XL has MORE, not less
The scent of fryer grease?

Reaction Score
I gotta say as a season ticket holder at the XL for the last 8 years I’m amazed at the vitriol.

I go there to watch a hockey game and drink a few beers. The parking is fine, the beer lines are fine, the pisser is fine. The product has been great. I don’t go there demanding state of the art everything.

Are the people most livid right now the people who don’t have season tix and are blocked from the new arena for the next 5 games (outside of going to stub hub, etc.).

A hockey season ticket is incredibly cheap. It’s the best value of anything the UConn athletic department offers. If you don’t have one and are on the fence, jump in.

Last edited:

zls44

Reaction Score
I have had season tickets for a decade. I hate the old building because it holds the programs back (MBB, WBB, MH). I hate the new one because it’s settling for less to prop up the terrible old building.

Totally agree on the value of men’s hockey season tickets. People should jump in. Guess what? If they do, they will receive ZERO tickets to the new place this year. That’s stupid. Just admit it’s stupid!

Asking for enough people to be able to fit in the new $70m arena isn’t asking for Italian granite and marble. It’s not some outrageous request! Have enough seats is asking for too much?

I don’t understand why people settle for less. I want excellence from UConn. The athletic department preaches excellence. You and I pay prices that demand excellence. I want a better experience for everyone.

I guess you want less.

Last edited:

zls44

Reaction Score
Exactly as intended when they built an on campus arena that is at least 1500 seats too small. It’s not like the state would fund it if meant no games at XL.

Why wouldn’t they? Explain the logic. This has never been challenged, only asserted.

It is long past time for UConn to call the CRDAs bluff. The terms of the XL Center are an anchor. Go public with them and nobody will disagree.

These. Are. Not. Common. Arena. Agreements. Anyone. Else. Does.

Reaction Score
zls44…. Why so bitter?
You make XL out to be the worst place of all time. Yeah, it’s old and the food choices suck but parking is a snap, it’s easy to get to for much of the state’s population, the sound system is great, the sight lines are great and when 3500-4000 people show up it rocks pretty well. It isn’t anywhere near as bad as you make it out to be.
Regarding Toscano, you’re letting the perfect be the enemy of the good. The new arena is 500-1000 seats too small, everybody who’s honest knows that’s the case. But guess what, there’s no going back. It is what it is. Let’s see what happens down the road. Gample got enlarged after it was built. There’s room for more seats in this place too.
50 years ago UConn hockey was outdoors in a dome shaped wind tunnel, blackberry brandy and a warming hut to fight off the elements and nothing but students and a few parents at the games. I was there. I’m a UConn grad and a long time season ticket holder who can’t wait to see 4 games on my old campus in a brand spankin’ new hockey rink.
Please get over your anger. Embrace the new place, it’s as good as it’s gonna get . If you can’t do that then go to Quinnipiac or Sacred Heart for perfect hockey venues.

Reaction Score
The new arena will be just perfect as an on campus facility. The locker rooms, training facilities, players lounge are first Class. Let remember that players, coaches, and UConn students are what really matter. They’re all going to really love the new on campus facility.

CL82

Reaction Score
Embrace the new place, it’s as good as it’s gonna get .
I don’t know, I think we can do better for a mantra for UConn athletics then “it’s as good as it’s gonna get.”

Reaction Score
I don’t know, I think we can do better for a mantra for UConn athletics then “it’s as good as it’s gonna get.”
I think all of the complainers are going to be pleasantly surprised when they visit the new arena in person. Will be surprised if they are not.

CL82

Reaction Score
I think all of the complainers are going to be pleasantly surprised when they visit the new arena in person. Will be surprised if they are not.
I do too. The people who can’t get tickets won’t get to experience that though.

Give it a season or two of selling out and they will add seats. I suspect that was always the plan.

Reaction Score

Give it a season or two of selling out and they will add seats. I suspect that was always the plan.
I hope you are right.

Reaction Score

It’s college hockey. The big ticket games (BC, BU) will sell out. The arena will not sell out ( once the newness of the arena wears off) for the majority of teams UConn plays.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom