Hire Brad Stevens NOW!!!!!!!! | The Boneyard

Hire Brad Stevens NOW!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
No, I'm not serious.

Definitely feel Ollie deserves a 3-4 yr contract.

But some jackasssseryy moron would've started this thread with serious intents so I figured I'd beat him to it.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
OK - I'll go there.

I love Ollie and the UConn tradition he brings and really hope he is a hall of fame coach. But if you are the CEO of a business which is UConn Hoops (and it is a business) and you have a chance to get Stevens in April/May, you are a bad CEO if you don't go there.

I'll get roasted for this, but I'll take Stevens all day long right now. If you can't get him, I have no problem going with Ollie long term.

Reaction Score
Let's play this one out.

1) If you go after and get Stevens, you cut ties with Calhoun, Ollie, Allen, Moore, Freeman, Kemba, Okafor, Hamilton, Donyell and every other legacy who, from time to time, adds something to the program. They simply will not push their way into Brad Steven's program. The apron strings are cut.

2) Why don't you feel that Ollie can be equivalent to Brad Stevens....or better?

I think Brad Stevens took some overachievers to a spot that no one thought was possible. I don't think that automatically qualifies him to take over Jim Calhoun's UConn program.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
can we please until at least january, have no more threads about ollies contract or any other coaches unless there is an actual article relating to ollie and his contract

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I like Stevens a lot, and I know there are many here who prefer him (and many others) to Ollie. I know you're not one of them Chin, but I don't see him wanting to come here in any event. And I don't think he's a good fit for us, or for the Northeast.

Something about some of those Midwestern folks that just works best in the Midwest. He seems like one of them.

I remember the first time I met Michael Hogan soon after he became President of UConn. I said that night that he wouldn't last long here. Good enough guy--and obviously good at his job--but he just didn't fit.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
OK - I'll go there.

I love Ollie and the UConn tradition he brings and really hope he is a hall of fame coach. But if you are the CEO of a business which is UConn Hoops (and it is a business) and you have a chance to get Stevens in April/May, you are a bad CEO if you don't go there.

I'll get roasted for this, but I'll take Stevens all day long right now. If you can't get him, I have no problem going with Ollie long term.
Not roasting you. Everyone has their opinions. Mine is that this is a very simplistic and grossly misguided analysis of the situation that displays a very fundamental misunderstanding of just about every aspect of it.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Let's play this one out.

1) If you go after and get Stevens, you cut ties with Calhoun, Ollie, Allen, Moore, Freeman, Kemba, Okafor, Hamilton, Donyell and every other legacy who, from time to time, adds something to the program. They simply will not push their way into Brad Steven's program. The apron strings are cut.

2) Why don't you feel that Ollie can be equivalent to Brad Stevens....or better?

I think Brad Stevens took some overachievers to a spot that no one thought was possible. I don't think that automatically qualifies him to take over Jim Calhoun's UConn program.

1) You might piss of the former coach a bit and you lose some traditional ties, but those men are UConn kids. Are you going to stop being a UConn fan if they hire someone else? They aren't going to stop being UConn guys. I think you're saying you can't get them on the bench if Ollie isn't the coach, if I'm wrong in that thought, sorry, but if that's what you're saying, if any of them are the right person for the position some time down the road, they aren't going to walk away because someone like Stevens is the coach.

2) Ollie might be the next great coach of all time and he might be the next coach following a hall of famer who doesn't cut it. There are far more examples of the latter than the former. He could be better. History shows us that it's unlikely. Don't get me wrong, I hope he is all that and wins 700+ games over the next 35 years and delivers multiple national championships. I'm not saying he can't be better, I just know one guy is already pretty damn good and less of a gamble - much less.

3) You didn't have three, but I'm adding it. UConn is one of the three best bball programs over the last 20 years. You cannot make the next head coach an emotional/sentimental hire. While we all want Ollie to be great (I really do - I'm not rooting against the guy), the chances of that being reality are not really good. If someone like Stevens is there for the taking, you give your program the better potential to continue to be great instead of hoping the other guy will be great. Over achieving once might be a fluke. Over achieving twice suggests the guy knows what he is doing at the highest level with lessor talent. That sounds a lot more like Calhoun to me than Ollie does.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Not roasting you. Everyone has their opinions. Mine is that this is a very simplistic and grossly misguided analysis of the situation that displays a very fundamental misunderstanding of just about every aspect of it.
That may be the most confident post of vagueness ever seen here. Tell me why it's simplistic or misguided or a misunderstanding. I have no problem having an intelligent debate of different opinions about things but I have to have something to work with.

Reaction Score
Guys like Brad Stevens and Shaka Smart are quality coaches, and seem like nice dudes.

But they're not right for the Huskies. They just don't seem like big program guys. Brad Stevens' theme song after the 2011 National Championship game was "Call Me Maybe". No one did.

He's doing well for Butler, he should stick with it and maybe pull a Jimmy C.

Reaction Score
I'm actually with jleves here - I love the fact that Ollie's getting a shot, and so far he's done a phenominal job, but if there is any gray area, you have to go with the sure thing, IMO. Now that doesn't mean Ollie won't prove himself as more of a sure thing as the season progresses, but as of right now he's still an unproven commodity. Brad Stevens has taken teams consisting mainly of two and three star recruits to National Championships, and today he just took a (mostly) completely different group of players and spanked Williams and his crew of McDonald's All-Amercians upside the head. Personally, I think Stevens would jump at the opportunity to coach at UConn, but it's all dependent on their conference affliation come this Spring. I'm not sure Stevens or Smart wants to run the risk of coaching in a mid-major type conference again.

If hiring a Stevens or Smart means possibly cutting off connections with our alumni, I think that's a shame. But I can't imagine that's going to happen. This program still is, and will always be, Calhoun's baby, regardless of who's coaching. Whether he accepts it as such with somebody from outside the program, I'm not sure. But I don't think you want to run the risk of signing a guy to a three year deal when we don't know whether or not he can, you know, actually coach. I'm not saying this is or isn't the case with Ollie, but it's not out of the question that he could suck and set this program back. With an outsider, you more or less know what you're getting. That's why I like the one year contract - even if you set your program back a year or two in terms of recruiting, you give yourself a year to in all lilihood make the biggets decision in the history of your program. That, to me, is bigger than whether Brandon Austin or Jordan Bell decides to play his ball at Providence or UConn next season.

Reaction Score
The important reality of the situation is that Ollie has deep ties to the program and even after one year on the job i think it will be a very difficult decision to simply replace him. Although i wasn't so optimistic to begin with, it is clear to me that he could be a good coach; he surrounds himself with capable people and can motivate players. What the future holds with KO is a question mark, but one that demands an answer. It seems to me that JC made one last choice that may impact UConn basketball possibly for the next couple of decades. As a fan I can't help but hope and trust in Calhoun one last time and I definitely can't deny the uplifting and inspirational way in which KO conducts himself(i mean seriously he could probably get me to try to run through a wall). However, if it was my job to make a decision on who would be the next head coach i would see limiting myself to one person(that would need no courting and could be hired at any time, and had very little experience) as shooting myself in the foot.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
1) You might piss of the former coach a bit and you lose some traditional ties, but those men are UConn kids. Are you going to stop being a UConn fan if they hire someone else? They aren't going to stop being UConn guys.

That's what bothers me about this entire kerfluffle. Reading quotes like the ones from Donny Marshall leads me to believe that the old players don't see themselves as "UConn guys". Theysee themselves as "Calhoun guys". Not the same thing.

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
Don't know about hiring Stephens over Ollie.....

But some of Ollie's time would definitely be well spent reviewing Butler game tape.

They are a decidedly overmatched team, when they are facing someone like North Carolina. And yet they have poise and they manage to execute a well planned offense to get their guys good shots.

Couple that sort of approach with our talent pool and we will win a larger number of games in the conference portion of our season.

Reaction Score
if the alumni stopped supported the program if Ollie is tossed aside after one year I wouldn't blame them one bit.

Reaction Score
Also helps that they have guys who can make shots. Our offense would look alot better if Tyler could make a 15fter, the one thing that he was supposed to be able to do coming out of HS.

Don't know about hiring Stephens over Ollie.....

But some of Ollie's time would definitely be well spent reviewing Butler game tape.

They are a decidedly overmatched team, when they are facing someone like North Carolina. And yet they have poise and they manage to execute a well planned offense to get their guys good shots.

Couple that sort of approach with our talent pool and we will win a larger number of games in the conference portion of our season.

Reactions: caw
Reaction Score
Anyone who thinks Ollie shoudn't get long term(3+yrs) contract should STFU.

Give him the contract....these kids like him, recruits "seem" to like him, see what he can do without hands tied in recruiting.

If he sucks fire him after 2 years....what is the problem, why alienate coach & former players. If he can't cut it then it will be obvious and no one will be pissed. It's not rocket science Mr. AD, give the guy a contract and get on with it!

caw

Reaction Score
Also helps that they have guys who can make shots. Our offense would look alot better if Tyler could make a 15fter, the one thing that he was supposed to be able to do coming out of HS.

I love Stevens and this was a great win for Butler, but really the above is correct. Heck, just have Daniels and Calhoun catch the ball on 2 fastbreak passes in the NM game and Ollie may be 5-0.

Reaction Score
I think Williams has shown he can't coach, getting down by 18 at the half and losing to a team that needed a fling 3 to beat Marq. by one. He should be fired. Replace him with Butler coach.

Reaction Score
That's what bothers me about this entire kerfluffle. Reading quotes like the ones from Donny Marshall leads me to believe that the old players don't see themselves as "UConn guys". Theysee themselves as "Calhoun guys". Not the same thing.
I'd go a step further and say that about a huge percentage of our fans. they aren't really UConn fans. they are Calhoun fans. Much like political scientists now see the election of G H W Bush as "Ronald Reagan's 3rd term" many of our fans see the appointment of Ollie as Jim Calhoun's 3rd term. And for that matter, if Calhoun had proposed that the seat in the 3rd row of section 105 be named the head coach to succeed him, we'd be reading the same weepy paeans to that chair that we now read to Ollie. he's done a "great job" despite the fact that his team got taken to ot by a middle of the pack team from one of the weakest conferences in the country and lost to a mid-major from a decidedly average mid-major conference.

Reaction Score
But I don't think you want to run the risk of signing a guy to a three year deal when we don't know whether or not he can, you know, actually coach. I'm not saying this is or isn't the case with Ollie, but it's not out of the question that he could suck and set this program back. With an outsider, you more or less know what you're getting. That's why I like the one year contract - even if you set your program back a year or two in terms of recruiting, you give yourself a year to in all lilihood make the biggets decision in the history of your program. That, to me, is bigger than whether Brandon Austin or Jordan Bell decides to play his ball at Providence or UConn next season.

It all comes down to money. They could have signed Ollie to a 3 yr deal. That would help him with recruiting. And, if he should suck, you can still fire or "buy him out" before the deal is up. Warde could still quietly shop for a more proven coach. But the 1 year try-out saves the university the $$$ they'd have to pay Ollie should they let him go before the end of the contract term. I don't know if being a state university in a crappy economy put more pressure on them to do this, but the savings as opposed to Calhoun's contract surely could've funded a year or two's worth of lost money on KO if he had to be let go.

I'm very happy with what Ollie has done so far. My main criticism is that we could have kept JC happy by hiring Ollie, still conducted a search, and not completely undermine recruiting in the process.

caw

Reaction Score
I think Williams has shown he can't coach, getting down by 18 at the half and losing to a team that needed a fling 3 to beat Marq. by one. He should be fired. Replace him with Butler coach.

Coaches that have sucked this year:

• Williams - lost to unranked Butler, was never in the game, obvious failure of a coach
  • Howland - lost to Georgetown team, struggled against Georgia
  • Izzo - lost to an undermanned, unranked UConn team with a first year coach (with no head coaching experience)
  • Stevens - lost to a Xavier team by 15, Xavier had no returning starters and only 8 scholarship players.
  • Calipari - he exists
  • Self - lost to MSU, who had just lost to UConn and flown thousands of miles
  • Gottfried - Lost to an unranked OKSt team, blown out
  • Drew - Well everyone knew he couldn't coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads