Highlights from Summer workouts | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Highlights from Summer workouts

Reaction Score
Every highlight video is giving me likely unrealistic expectations for Akok & Hawkins….they both just pop

Reaction Score
Hawkins can jump. Nice little left hand finish. All these videos (and his game film) show a pretty high and loose handle for a 2G. Pairing him with a 3 that can handle it like Andre would be ideal.

Hopefully Andre continue to work on that straight line drive... need that bad if he isn't gonna be a shooter.

Cole is the heart and soul of the team.

Reaction Score
Love these videos! Lotta serious players here, how could we not be good? I do think Hurley can pull a team together a la the chemistry, the brotherhood, and the focus on winning.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
If Akok can get quicker with his footwork and movements he'll be a monster

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Hawkins is going to push Gaffney to his best otherwise Hawkins will be taking his place

Reaction Score
Cole looks ready to muscle his way to a few more makes this year. Needed strength? Check!

Reaction Score
There is really nothing to base this level of optimism on right now.
Akok & Hawkins have arguably the most NBA projectable skill sets on the team. They’re bothering guys with 1 + skill and size.
Guys like Akok always seem to find a roster spot somewhere. Stretch 4 & elite shot blocker. If he hits 35% of his 3’s and blocks 2+ per game, it’d be almost criminal for him to not at least declare for feedback.
Hawkins- prototype 3&D

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Akok & Hawkins have arguably the most NBA projectable skill sets on the team. They’re bothering guys with 1 + skill and size.
Guys like Akok always seem to find a roster spot somewhere. Stretch 4 & elite shot blocker. If he hits 35% of his 3’s and blocks 2+ per game, it’d be almost criminal for him to not at least declare for feedback.
Hawkins- prototype 3&D
I'm basing it on his talent and what I think he can show in a full healthy season.
But what is this based on? Some practice mixtapes and a high school recruiting ranking? The last time Akok played he wasn't anywhere near making the NBA. It's just quite a strong prediction to make based on the available evidence.

Reaction Score
But what is this based on? Some practice mixtapes and a high school recruiting ranking? The last time Akok played he wasn't anywhere near making the NBA. It's just quite a strong prediction to make based on the available evidence.
i told you, his talent and what I think he can show in a full healthy season.

He was the most dynamic rim protector I saw in college as a freshman. I think he'll show he has a pretty good three point shot, will be a monster rim protector and show versatility. I thought he would be a two and done before his injury, I still think could be a two and done.

Reaction Score

He was the most dynamic rim protector I saw in college as a freshman. I think he'll show he has a pretty good three point shot, will be a monster rim protector and show versatility. I thought he would be a two and done before his injury, I still think could be a two and done.
^this. I think you’re (@Huskyforlife) frankly incorrect by saying Akok was “wasn’t anywhere near” making the NBA as a freshman. Pre-injury, I am fairly confident that Bouk wasn’t the only player that NBA scouts were coming to watch at our games.

Reaction Score

I was not going to post on this thread only because these are summer work out highlights however please let these kids play a few games to see where they are at. These clips are only showing you what they want to show and to pique the fans interest. Akok has the talent/tools to be an NBA player, I really don't see him going after this year even if he has a very good year. NBA teams need to be assured that his injury is nonobstructive. (one of my favorite players on roster) one more year after this season. As far as Hawkins he needs to adjust to the college game, yes! he is very talented and hoping that coach Hurley gives him the same or longer leash than Bouknight when he was a freshman. Hopefully we can see them live and that they can experience UConn nation up close and personal. Let them play some games.....

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I've heard the two standouts from practice this year are Akok (back to his normal self and hitting 3's extremely well) + Hawkins (good shooter, can get a bucket). Might need to temper your expectations on Diggins and Springs contributing meaningfully this year however.

Great news about Akok and Hawkins. Disappointed to hear about Sool. I love his attitude.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
That’s not true. Plenty of people including Dick Vitale (obviously not a UConn homer) in a nationally televised game said he was going to be the next husky drafted based on his play out of the gates as a freshman.

Before Bouk took the floor, he looked like clearly the most talented and best nba prospect on the team. If he’s back to full health and has improved a few things there’s no reason to think he’s doesn’t have a decent shot at being drafted.

Reaction Score
Having snapped your achilles is a big barrier to being drafted. Akok is also now older than most 1st round prospects because of the loss of a year. He'd need a massive year of production

And Hawkins may need to adjust to the college game but he also doesn't need to put up the same kind of #s because he'll only be 19 at the draft. 12-14 points on 40% from deep with solid defense would get him in the 1st round. Tough, but not nearly such an uphill battle imo

Spring and Diggins seeing little opportunity for minutes isn't surprising. I'd imagine Johnson is a candidate to be in for spot minutes as well because Whaley and Sanogo are obviously talented + we will need to go small at times depending on matchups or if multiple of Andre, Polley, Martin are playing well.

Reaction Score
That’s not true. Plenty of people including Dick Vitale (obviously not a UConn homer) in a nationally televised game said he was going to be the next husky drafted based on his play out of the gates as a freshman.

That's a tough example. I'm not a Vitale hater like other people but he's handed a couple talking points and he repeats them. He said the same thing about Ajou Deng. He's not saying that based on the scouting he's done.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score

Guess we'll agree to disagree. He played 24 games before his injury(Very good sample), averaged 6-6-3 and frankly was an offensive liability most games. He shot 2 3s per game on 26%, and hasn't played more than 1 meaningful game since that injury. We know he has talent, but I'd like to see him hit 35% before even dreaming about the NBA. He isnt in high school anymore.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score

Before Bouk took the floor, he looked like clearly the most talented and best nba prospect on the team. If he’s back to full health and has improved a few things there’s no reason to think he’s doesn’t have a decent shot at being drafted.
Akok was having the best game of his career up to that point as a former borderline 5 star. At one point I think he scored on 3 straight possessions. I remember saying he might be a one and done after that game. Then we played out the rest of the season.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom