Highlights from Summer workouts | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Highlights from Summer workouts

Reaction Score
Somebody steps on a foot and someone else gets two quick fouls ---and suddenly--- all that depth disappears for the evening.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Somebody steps on a foot and someone else gets two quick fouls ---and suddenly--- all that depth disappears for the evening.
why are you the way that you are GIF

Reaction Score
Nobody has earned anything, nobody on the team has even won a tournament game. The best players who give them the best chance of winning will play the most.
SJ, So going into the season you don't believe Whaley has earned his weight yet? This kid has done nothing but prove people wrong year in and year out since his freshman year and you make that comment, puzzling? I strongly believe he's on the starting side, tournament or no tournament, Whaley is one of our better players.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Between Akok, Whaley, Sanogo, Springs, and Johnson, somebody is going to end up on the outside looking in at PT. Gonna be a battle for PT in practice--I'm sure those guys are feeling it every day.
Talk about a great environment for Samson to learn and develop for when his time comes. Could not ask for a better group of talent and leaders.

Reaction Score
Between Akok, Whaley, Sanogo, Springs, and Johnson, somebody is going to end up on the outside looking in at PT. Gonna be a battle for PT in practice--I'm sure those guys are feeling it every day.
You betcha.

“It’s very competitive. It’s a battle every single day,” Akok said. “Everybody in the frontcourt is trying to prove themselves. Between me, Zay (Isaiah Whaley), Adama, Samson (Johnson). It’s a battle. We’re trying to kill each other every single day. That’s how it is.”

Reaction Score
TOGGLE NAVIGATION Top 100 Camp

Top 100 2020 Logo

THIS IS WHERE IT ALL BEGINS​

About Top 100 Camp​

The NBPA’s Top 100 High School Basketball Camp is regarded as the premier basketball event available to elite high school athletes. Since its inception in 1994, over 300 players have gone on to successful careers in the NBA. The Top 100 Camp emphasizes character, education, and skill development as the core principles necessary to maximize a player’s potential.

Mentoring​

The Top 100 Camp provides each camper the unique opportunity to be mentored by NBA players, Former NBA Players, High School Coaches and various experts who provide a level of support that is unmatched as each camper move toward their NBA goal.

Training​

Top 100 Campers have opportunity to work with experts who help them create their own personal workout routine. Top 100 Campers learn key training tips and techniques from some of the best conditioning and training experts the industry has to offer.

NBA Coaching​

Meet, Learn and be coached by current and former NBA players. Top 100 Campers learn key fundamentals from over 30 current and former NBA players as they coach games, run practices, and conduct skill development stations.

Elite Competition​

Play Against The Best! Top 100 Camp features the best players in the USA.

Selection Process​

Renowned coach and NBA veteran John Lucas serves as the Top 100 Scouting Consultant for the NBPA’S Top 100 Camp. Regarded as a tremendous resource for basketball training and youth development, John Lucas Enterprises is responsible for securing the country’s Elite High School Basketball Talent for the camp.

“Within the basketball community, the Top 100 High School Basketball Camp is regarded as the premier basketball event available to elite high school athletes. During the Top 100 Camp’s 27 year history, approximately 2,400 campers have attended and over 300 have gone on to successful careers in the NBA.”​

—PURVIS SHORT, CHIEF OF PLAYER PROGRAMS

TOP 100 CAMP​

SOCIAL​

© 2021 Top 100 Camp
f

Reaction Score
SJ, So going into the season you don't believe Whaley has earned his weight yet? This kid has done nothing but prove people wrong year in and year out since his freshman year and you make that comment, puzzling? I strongly believe he's on the starting side, tournament or no tournament, Whaley is one of our better players.
Nobody has earned anything from what they did before, the players who play the best this upcoming season and give the team the best chance to win will play.

Reaction Score
Nobody has earned anything from what they did before, the players who play the best this upcoming season and give the team the best chance to win will play.
Ok then, your opinion but like Husky429 said "Whaley didn't stay a 5th year to come off the bench." He has been nothing short of exemplary.

Reaction Score
If we play as up & down as we have the ability too, I don’t think minutes will be an issue. 3 man rotation of Whaley, Akok & Sanogo will allow us to always have a 5 on the floor while managing minutes

Reaction Score
I think springs and Johnson will get the less mins but I’m just speculating. I think akok is gonna be a monster by January

Reaction Score
Ok then, your opinion but like Husky429 said "Whaley didn't stay a 5th year to come off the bench." He has been nothing short of exemplary.
Whaley is my favorite uconn player and I think he will. start and sanogo definitely will start but there could be a scenario where akok starts over Whaley for spacing purposes. Our spacing has sucked under Hurley and honestly has been bad long before him. Whaley will probably average close to 30 mpg regardless. It may depend on who is better at shooting and spacing the floor between akok and Whaley. Thankfully Whaley is such a team guy that I don’t think it would cause an internal problem.

Reaction Score
Whaley is my favorite uconn player and I think he will. start and sanogo definitely will start but there could be a scenario where akok starts over Whaley for spacing purposes. Our spacing has sucked under Hurley and honestly has been bad long before him. Whaley will probably average close to 30 mpg regardless. It may depend on who is better at shooting and spacing the floor between akok and Whaley. Thankfully Whaley is such a team guy that I don’t think it would cause an internal problem.
Yes, that goes with out saying regarding game situations where one starts over the other. Spacing has been a problem for us but Whaley has improved that a bit with his improved out side shot. Akok, by mid December as long as all goes well with his Achilles can really be a force to be reckoned with. Really Springs and Johnson should be implemented well too. Again like some of us have been saying " nice problem to have"

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yes, that goes with out saying regarding game situations where one starts over the other. Spacing has been a problem for us but Whaley has improved that a bit with his improved out side shot. Akok, by mid December as long as all goes well with his Achilles can really be a force to be reckoned with. Really Springs and Johnson should be implemented well too. Again like some of us have been saying " nice problem to have"

Whaley shot better from deep past year than Akok did his freshman season. 35% vs 26%. (1.0 vs 1.8 attempts)

Characterizing Akok as a good shooter is a stretch. He has the potential to be, but IMO Whaley is closer to it

Reaction Score
Whaley shot better from deep past year than Akok did his freshman season. 35% vs 26%. (1.0 vs 1.8 attempts)

Characterizing Akok as a good shooter is a stretch. He has the potential to be, but IMO Whaley is closer to it
With a full off-season of workouts and, more than likely, working on his 3pt shot. Do you think that Whaley could up his percentage to 37-38% on slightly higher volume? That would keep defenses honest and improve spacing.

Psolo12

Future Doctor of Law
Reaction Score
A big man rotation with Sanogo, Whaley, and Akok taking up a majority of the minutes is all we need to know. Who starts is meaningless and whoever is contributing the most that game will finish it. No need to worry about who's starting, it's an extremely positive thing to have 3 bigs who can contribute in a big way.

Reaction Score

That Hawkins drive is impressive as hell. I like the kid already

Breakdown by scene

1. Tyrese Martin good energy vibes
2. Hawkins with a WHOA 1v1 move/finish. I had him typecast as a spot up shooter. If he's doing that stuff, here for it.
3. Tyrese Martin with a classic Tyrese Martin "run toward the hoop, misread the defense and use an unnecessary move creating a charge/turnover. My least favorite part of his game - he overcooks all his moves. Just get an angle and go strong dude. You are 6'7 with bounce just elevate and tomahawk on Rahsool. JFC.
4. Akok with a sweet drive and dish. Porkchop travelled on teh pump fake. Get your balance and go up strong (see the theme here?)
5. Sweet dish from Adama to Tyrese on the oop!
6. Nice drive/dish by polley (classic polley move). Another soft- finish by porkchop - that aint gonna get it done.
7. Gaffney with the sweet pump fake, step back 3. If he adds that to his game with composure it will be big for us. Need shooting. Also Gaffney looks like a beast. Say what you want about his game(tentative, loose handle, not dynamic) but he clearly works hard as hell much respect need program guys like Gaff.
8. RJ hits a spot up 25 footer - I'm of the opinion that he should be firing like Steph Curry. like 8 attempts/game, he plays so much better when he's gunning. He can hit them so the threat opens up and stresses the defense, plus its basically a long pass to our bigs who should absolutely be a top 10 offensive rebounding team again.

Reaction Score

That Hawkins drive is impressive as hell. I like the kid already

Ready for the season to get going already. Nice to see Hawkins flashing again in practice. It’s a really interesting roster composition, but I think it can all work if they play to their strengths. Biggest question I have is how much can they improve their close to the rim shot percentage? They were awful in that category last year. Modest improvements there from guys like Martin and Whaley would go a long way. Especially Martin, he can be a 13-15 PPG guy with improvements near the rim and utilizing jump stops more vs his drag euro steps he often gets blocked on. Attack the rim with more force! The team can be super physical and aggressive, I hope we see that this season.

Psolo12

Future Doctor of Law
Reaction Score
Is there a chance Hawkins is a day 1 starter?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom