Here's why i think UCONN could lose 12 games this year... | The Boneyard

Here's why i think UCONN could lose 12 games this year...

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
i have it on good authority that an alien invasion is imminent and the entire team will be body snatched and replaced with replicas. Unfortunately, the replicas come from the planet Frozone, which is similar to our Arctic continent, and sadly, they have never played a day of basketball in their lives. Geno will certainly do his level best to whip them into shape, but as a result, they will lose 12 regular season games this year.

Now, on the outside chance that this invasion does NOT take place, then we will be "stuck" with the team as it stands now. ;)

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Har, har, hardy, har har!!

Olde Coach

Rip, Olde Coach
Reaction Score
i have it on good authority that an alien invasion is imminent and the entire team will be body snatched and replaced with replicas. Unfortunately, the replicas come from the planet Frozone, which is similar to our Arctic continent, and sadly, they have never played a day of basketball in their lives. Geno will certainly do his level best to whip them into shape, but as a result, they will lose 12 regular season games this year.

Now, on the outside chance that this invasion does NOT take place, then we will be "stuck" with the team as it stands now. ;)

Eric, you need to edit the thread topic.

It should read "will lose AT LEAST 12 games."

P.S. FWIW : I am very happy with being STUCK right where we are now.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Eric, you need to edit the thread topic.

It should read "will lose AT LEAST 12 games."

P.S. FWIW : I am very happy with being STUCK right where we are now.
sorry about that lol. i tried but once the post is made, i can change the guts, but not the title of the thread...

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
Jeez, Loo-weez. What does that say 'bout the state of WCBB, if Geno can take a dozen or so Frozonians and win 25 games! I know, I know: if wasn't fer the gosh-darn officiating, it'd been 28!:mad:

Reaction Score
I don't care if they loose 12 games, as long as they win the LAST one...:)

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
man u guys came up with some clever responses. i had a fun time making up that post lol...

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I don't care if they loose 12 games, as long as they win the LAST one...:)
If they lose 12 games they may not have a chance to win the last one. :(

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
and some of you gave me a bunch for my 195-0 Eric can I take a million dollar life insurance policy out on you?????????????? LOL

grizz36

Misabe Mukwa
Reaction Score

I have a reliable source that says UCONN will lose both games to the Univ of Elbonia this year.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Dude, I think you meant the Antarctic continent. You know, the really cold place with ants.

The Arctic is just ice floes. Ask Icebear about the ice and JS about the floes. :)

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Are we going to start a thread mocking everyone with an opinion going against the grain? I'd rather kill em with facts showing how wrong they are.

Reaction Score
Are we going to start a thread mocking everyone with an opinion going against the grain? I'd rather kill em with facts showing how wrong they are.

Or just wait until the season plays out.

For the record, so that there is no misunderstanding, I am predicting at least 7 with a possible 12. I have also listed the seven games, so feel free to take your shots as the prognostications fizzle. I am big enough and confident enough to take the mocking. I can also accept being wrong. The whole fun of bold predictions is the possibility of being totally wrong. And there could no be no one happier about being totally wrong than me.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

For the record, so that there is no misunderstanding, I am predicting at least 7 with a possible 12. I have also listed the seven games, so feel free to take your shots as the prognostications fizzle. I am big enough and confident enough to take the mocking. I can also accept being wrong. The whole fun of bold predictions is the possibility of being totally wrong. And there could no be no one happier about being totally wrong than me.
We lost 8 in 2004-5 when several things went very badly. I cannot see it happening with Geno and all that talent. If, for example, Stef and Kaleena are out for the year, we will struggle. I am assuming we are healthy, though Caroline may miss some minutes or games. We had what looked really tough schedules at least the last 3 seasons and we blew out many of the ranked opponents. I can see 10-12 competitive/close games, but I think we win 3/4 of those. My best guess on losses is 2; my maximum, given good health, is 5. Let's revisit on January 1.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score

Even Tony had analysis with his 195-0 prediction. To just throw that out there and not respond to counter positions is just weak.

How can you be taken seriously? Maybe I was wrong and you need to be mocked...lol.

Reaction Score
Even Tony had analysis with his 195-0 prediction. To just throw that out there and not respond to counter positions is just weak.

How can you be taken seriously? Maybe I was wrong and you need to be mocked...lol.

Many times we make predictions based purely on hunches, a gut instinct, without any rhyme or reason and come out correctly. Other times, we can analyze, break down, over analyze, hypothesize, and rationalize; And still come out wrong. I thought I explained the seven losses, but here it goes again.
1. Baylor - they are a better team and have the best player in WCBB right now
2. Stanford - I like the Ogwumike sisters inside against Stefanie. Nnecka is probably the second best player in WCBB right now.
3. Texas A & M - I feel that they match up favorably against UConn; especially inside. They are the defending national champions. That counts for something; confidence, swagger.
4. Notre Dame twice - They own the last victory. they have the core of the team returning that includes, arguably, the third best player in WCBB.
6. Duke - they have always defended well and will score just enough to beat UConn this year.
7. Georgetown - Gave UConn fits in three games last year, each game closer than the last one. This year, they get over the hump. Against most teams, UConn dictates and makes the other team react. Georgetown made UConn react to the way they were playing. The reason why Georgetown last that Sweet 16 game was they just could not get to 70. Without Maya, this year, The Hoyas may only have to score 65.

Reaction Score
Wow, where to begin? Yes, UConn COULD lose any of those games, but probability alone suggests it would not lose ALL of them. And, as more than one responder has suggested, the main reason why this estimate is exaggerated is that is assumes that UConn got worse and everyone else got better or stayed the same. It remains to be seen whether the three freshment can make the team better than Maya could, but they certainly give the team a new flexibility and strength.

There also seems to be an assumption that UConn will be offensively challenged this year, While it may be true that a young team will have its scoring slumps, I believe this roster has enough offensive solutions to allow the team to avoid most of these kinds of problems. Stefanie will get her share of points, as will KML and Hartley. I believe Tiff will have a better senior than junior year (I'm of the opinion that her last year couldn't have been much more frustrating to watch, but that's just IMHO). If Kelly gives the team only what she contributed last year and Caroline can play 15 minutes a game as a solid contributor, this team should do quite well. Yes, those are ifs, but in life, everything is, yes?

I would agree that a loss against Baylor is likely, and one against Stanford is certainly possible. A&M is a fine team, but I don't see the matchup problem to be quite as bad as suggested, and while Notre Dame is a good team and well-coached, I think UConn can solve even the new and improved Skylar.

UConn could certainly lose a game to Gtown, the most irritating team in the world, and maybe two, but those are by no means sure things. I suppose you could claim that the reason GTown did not win last year is because it could not get to 70 points. That's like saying the reason McCain didn't win the election is because he couldn't get one more vote than Obama. Well, yeah, and so?

GTown does not necessarily get better this year, and UConn might just match up better against them. No way to tell yet, but these games are difficult but not necessarily losses.

As for Duke, I just don't believe it. They sure didn't defend all that well against UConn last year, and their offense was second rate. Do we have any reason to think either of those things will change? Not that I can see.

So I see two probable losses, two more possible and a couple of 50-50s. Barring injuries and bad fortune, six losses, max, two losses, minimum. A fine season and maybe a trip to the Final Four.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
If we are listing expectations I will restate what I said earlier in the year. Two to four losses 5 at the outside. Nothing near 7 let alone 12. Tomcat's present comments and cF's earlier comments all apply.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
i dunno. given all the sniping i've seen in a bunch of recent threads, i thought a bit of good natured humor would be appropriate. and i don't think there are enough hours in the day to "start threads mocking everyone with an opinion going against the grain". but if anyone could do it, i'd vote for you! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom