Here's a shocker - the TV contract will suck. | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Here's a shocker - the TV contract will suck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
The BiG has a war to fight to get the network on regular expanded cable and off the Sports Tiers or Gold packages. Then there's carriage fees. Jersey cable operators might roll over and play dead. NYC won't. Contrary to belief the BIG cut separate deals with some cable operators and among some regional sub divisions of major carriers. Rutgers is a good move to wrap up Penn East and Philly and to make some good inroads into NYC. They've got some work to do. It's why VA and UConn look good.on paper. VA Beach to Springfield Mass and Providence would pretty much be BiG Country.

Sent from my Lumia 920 via Windows 8. Now bite me Apple Droids.

I always thought this was underplayed with regard to UConn's TV value. In CT, forget 80 cents a month. Between FB, mens amd womens BB the population would demand carriage. The BTN could likely get $2/mo on basic tier in CT. Times 1M cable homes, that's 24M per year. That UConn network is sounding better.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
The number of people outside of New York who even know that SUNY Buffalo exists is pretty scarce. They number who know they play football is fewer still. Yet I saw lots of UConn stuff in San Jose, CA. That's what I mean by regional. Cinci is regional as well, despite having good athletics. Nobody who isn't from southern Ohio or an alumn is going to become a Cinci fan. They will all adopt Ohio State instead. Same is true of Buffalo, Memphis, USF, UCF, ECU etc. In contrast, I was always a Nebraska football fan growing up in Connecticut. Houston did attract a national following with Phi Slamma Jamma. Just as UNLV did. Memphis maybe...to a lesser degree.

That's what the conferences want. Names that resonate coast to coast. Iowa vs Minnesota sounds better than Houston vs. Southen Miss. More non-fans of those teams will tune in, even if the teams in the latter game are better. That's why flagship state Universities and big name private schools like Stanford, Duke, Vandy and Notre Dame are sought after.

I bet you the same proportion of students is in-state at those state schools as at Buffalo. I don't see the difference. You're looking at it through the eyes of college sports, which isn't even the dominant way that kids choose colleges. I think we've been through this before. Most of the top 50-60 of USNWP doesn't play D1 sports. I'm not saying sports doesn't help, but it certainly doesn't hinder the best schools. It doesn't hinder Emory or Boston U or New York U and all the state schools like Buffalo and Irvine and Santa Barbara and San Diego that are in the AAU.

Reaction Score
With this being the potential TV contract that the league is faced with, I wonder if it makes any sense at all for a school like UConn, that already has contracts in place bringing in upwards of $10m a year for 3rd tier content, to allow this conference to sell a meaningful portion of our content. UConn needs to tell the Big East that going forward this league is pretty much just a scheduling alliance.

Maybe let them sell a portion of 1st tier games, but that's it. All 2nd, 3rd, and a portion of 1st tier rights would be retained by each individual school. Schools that carry a decent sized market and have some national brand awareness, will make what market forces dictate. The others will also make what the market allows them too. This is the only fair way to handle this.

There is no reason, nor excuse, for UConn to accept a deal that will depress its value so deeply and painfully.

Reaction Score
Why are you so slow on this? Penn State has the backing of a 13 million person state....not just the Philadelphia area you fool.
That is why their brand is so popular...not because the Philly area is so dense, it's because pretty much everyone that lives west of Philly and east of Pittsburgh treat PSU football like a religion.

If you knew anything at all, you'd know the majority of Penn State fans come from the sticks of PA and not from the major city areas. These city areas are dominated by pro teams. Overwhelmingly so. You not knowing that no longer surprises me.

The interior of the state of Pennsylvania is is like driving through Kentucky or ALabama, hence the Pennsyltucky jokes. These are the people who view Penn State football as a religion....like they do down in the South.

According to your brilliant logic, since "the great majority" of PSU's fans come from around Philly, the other 10 million people that make up PA's 13 million population must not really care about the Nits, right?

You really are not that bright. Why am I arguing with an idiot?

Why are you on a UConn board arguing with UConn fans? That is the more pressing question. Rutgers is in the B1G. Go argue with Indiana football fans and Penn State BBall fans about who gets the pull-out bed in the cellar.

Reaction Score
Why are you so slow on this? Penn State has the backing of a 13 million person state....not just the Philadelphia area you fool.
That is why their brand is so popular...not because the Philly area is so dense, it's because pretty much everyone that lives west of Philly and east of Pittsburgh treat PSU football like a religion.

If you knew anything at all, you'd know the majority of Penn State fans come from the sticks of PA and not from the major city areas. These city areas are dominated by pro teams. Overwhelmingly so. You not knowing that no longer surprises me.

The interior of the state of Pennsylvania is is like driving through Kentucky or ALabama, hence the Pennsyltucky jokes. These are the people who view Penn State football as a religion....like they do down in the South.

According to your brilliant logic, since "the great majority" of PSU's fans come from around Philly, the other 10 million people that make up PA's 13 million population must not really care about the Nits, right?

He certainly is very angry that I would deign to compare PSU's popularity in Philly to Rutgers' in Joisey. What a protest!

Reaction Score

i grew up in the South Jersey Philly burbs...even there had more PSU fans than RU. give it up.

Reaction Score
i grew up in the South Jersey Philly burbs...even there had more PSU fans than RU. give it up.

And I wasn't even arguing about who is more popular in Jersey. I was talking about the densest population region of PA! I think your post will send this clown over the top.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
rutgers is the new psu. well not really. the only possible alike thing the 2 share is at psu they raped kids and at rutgers kids are gtting raped daily of a real college expierence.

Reaction Score
Obviously they misunderstood when their sources said that NBE was going to make $23M per team. Silly mistake. I'm surprised everyone got so excited over it.

In this new era of being first to come out with news, there's got to be some other qualifier to this because the numbers are no where close to reasonable. Maybe this was priced assuming UCONN and Cincy are no longer here. Could be anything but $23M for the whole boat....not adding up.

Reaction Score
Finally. Been trying to make this point all year. Weak branded football has less value than strong branded basketball. Even the prior ESPN offer to the Big East probably had a much higher basketball component than the football schools would admit. This means that a crappy Iowa football team is still worth more than a good ECU/USF/UCF. It just is. I said it over and over, but any school with a west/south/east/north state U or that is a public school named after a city will have a weak national brand. Those are regional schools by default. Every school in the NNBE fits this profile except UConn. Louisville is now the only school with that profile in a major conference, showing just how bleeped up that decision was.

Debating the merits of Temple, Houston and Memphis as tolerable members of the NNBE is one thing, but what everyone omits about the C7 is just how damned good it would be with UConn and Cinci, plus Xavier, Dayton and Creighton or SLU. While I think football independence is impossible, if there was any way to get UConn football into CUSA or MWC, that would best preserve and promote our brand.

"Louisville is now the only school with that profile in a major conference, showing just how bleeped up that decision was."
Like University of Southern California, Florida State, Michigan State, Oklahoma State, NC State, Duke, Wake Forest, Miami, Syracuse, Pittsburgh, Boston College, Northwestern, Washington State, UCLA, and probably 10 others...

What's your point again?

Reaction Score
Finally. Been trying to make this point all year. Weak branded football has less value than strong branded basketball. Even the prior ESPN offer to the Big East probably had a much higher basketball component than the football schools would admit. This means that a crappy Iowa football team is still worth more than a good ECU/USF/UCF. It just is. I said it over and over, but any school with a west/south/east/north state U or that is a public school named after a city will have a weak national brand. Those are regional schools by default. Every school in the NNBE fits this profile except UConn. Louisville is now the only school with that profile in a major conference, showing just how bleeped up that decision was.

Debating the merits of Temple, Houston and Memphis as tolerable members of the NNBE is one thing, but what everyone omits about the C7 is just how damned good it would be with UConn and Cinci, plus Xavier, Dayton and Creighton or SLU. While I think football independence is impossible, if there was any way to get UConn football into CUSA or MWC, that would best preserve and promote our brand.

"Louisville is now the only school with that profile in a major conference, showing just how bleeped up that decision was."
Like University of Southern California, Florida State, Michigan State, Oklahoma State, NC State, Duke, Wake Forest, Miami, Syracuse, Pittsburgh, Boston College, Northwestern, Washington State, UCLA, and probably 10 others...

What's your point again?

Reaction Score

I think the idiot is the person who came on this board, started spouting crap about a school nobody cares about, and then got annoyed when people have a different opinion.

Reaction Score

Please...that's as ludicrous as saying there are more BC fans in Northern Connecticut than there are UCONN fans.

Maybe 10 ears ago PSU outnumbered Rutgers in South Jersey. That was a long time ago.

Reaction Score
Please...that's as ludicrous as saying there are more BC fans in Northern Connecticut than there are UCONN fans.

Maybe 10 ears ago PSU outnumbered Rutgers in South Jersey. That was a long time ago.
your wrong...to quote a close friend from high school "I can't wait to go back to not caring about Rutgers once my brother graduates and isn't playing anymore"

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
With this being the potential TV contract that the league is faced with, I wonder if it makes any sense at all for a school like UConn, that already has contracts in place bringing in upwards of $10m a year for 3rd tier content, to allow this conference to sell a meaningful portion of our content. UConn needs to tell the Big East that going forward this league is pretty much just a scheduling alliance.

Maybe let them sell a portion of 1st tier games, but that's it. All 2nd, 3rd, and a portion of 1st tier rights would be retained by each individual school. Schools that carry a decent sized market and have some national brand awareness, will make what market forces dictate. The others will also make what the market allows them too. This is the only fair way to handle this.

There is no reason, nor excuse, for UConn to accept a deal that will depress its value so deeply and painfully.

I have a suspicion that this contract is just for Tier 1 games, which may be a big number of games, but won't be everything and may be less than half of the games. We shall see.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Penn State, like most programs, can extend their fan base beyond their alumni and their state borders when they are really good. When that isn't the case, the fan base contracts. When an assistant coach was molesting children with the full knowledge of the Head Coach and the Administration, the fan base contracts a lot.

Reaction Score
I have a suspicion that this contract is just for Tier 1 games, which may be a big number of games, but won't be everything and may be less than half of the games. We shall see.

That would be a good guess. I question whether NBC would want so many games.

Reaction Score
your wrong...to quote a close friend from high school "I can't wait to go back to not caring about Rutgers once my brother graduates and isn't playing anymore"

I'm sorry pesky little things like increased media exposure in South Jersey ( football games now on 97.5 The Fanatic in Philadelphia and South Jersey),more than 50 percent increase in donations from South Jersey Alumni, and increased football recruit commitments from South Jersey get in the way of your argument.

But your close friend's quote trumps all of that.

Reaction Score
Why are you on a UConn board arguing with UConn fans? That is the more pressing question. Rutgers is in the B1G. Go argue with Indiana football fans and Penn State BBall fans about who gets the pull-out bed in the cellar.

You're right. I'll go argue with Big Ten schools, since that's where we are heading.

I'll leave you guys alone to argue with Tulane and Tulsa fans about football. Sadly, Temple is going to be a marquee game for you, so I can't even go there.

Reaction Score
You're right. I'll go argue with Big Ten schools, since that's where we are heading.

I'll leave you guys alone to argue with Tulane and Tulsa fans about football. Sadly, Temple is going to be a marquee game for you, so I can't even go there.

Before leaving can you tell us what sports Rutgers are good at?

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score

they are a borderline top 25 team when it comes to recruting stars and crack bit*hes. also i would be foolish to ignore that they are #1 in the nation in trannys.

Reaction Score

They are certainty Top 5, if not #1, at having their recruiting visits have absolutely nothing to do with the campus or the school.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Rutgers is like that kid that got to kiss Bar Rafaeli in that commercial during the Super Bowl. When you draw three cards to get an inside straight you just shut up and collect your money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom