Here's a shocker - the TV contract will suck. | The Boneyard

Here's a shocker - the TV contract will suck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
According to McMurphy, heap big savoir NBC Sports is offering $20M-$23M per year.

For that money, give the contract away to ESPN rather than have the league on between Bass Masters and Let's Shoot Wildlife on some channel that you need a Sherpa and an oxygen mask to find.

duck* that.

Reaction Score
According to McMurphy, heap big savoir NBC Sports is offering $20M-$23M per year.

That is half of what the C7 are getting. Would love to hear Aresco's spin on it, if any media bothers to ask.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I see that all of the ESPN Twitter people (McMurphy, Adelson, etc.) are lighting up the board with those numbers. I'm trying to confirm with another source (even an NBC source) and can't. Of course, that might just be due to my feeble Google skills.

At that price, I would think that we could literally shop around to ANYONE ELSE and beat it. Christ, I would rather even end up on Fox Soccer Channel for $25 dollars more if they would offer it. How are you feeling about football, Lifetime?

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score

For that money, give the contract away to ESPN rather than have the league on between Bass Masters and Let's Shoot Wildlife on some channel that you need a Sherpa and an oxygen mask to find.

duck* that.

am i understanding this right? uconn, cincy, usf, temple and the rest of the crew are worth a total of 23mil all sports?

uconn and cincy are worth about 20 mil each in a power 5 league. uconn, cincy, memphis and temple bball alone are worth 10+ mil. this makes no sense for numbers like that to be thrown around. but yet we keep seeing them. there has to be something not factored in publically to fans that the insider ppl know. i dont know if that uconn/cincy/temple to the acc or what but its something.

Reaction Score
am i understanding this right? uconn, cincy, usf, temple and the rest of the crew are worth a total of 23mil all sports?

uconn and cincy are worth about 20 mil each in a power 5 league. uconn, cincy, memphis and temple bball alone are worth 10+ mil. this makes no sense for numbers like that to be thrown around. but yet we keep seeing them. there has to be something not factored in publically to fans that the insider ppl know. i dont know if that uconn/cincy/temple to the acc or what but its something.
this is a valid point.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score

That's certainly one possibility. The other possibility is that the value of the offer is being misrepresented (of course, the third possibility is that it's all true). It doesn't make sense to me at all on the surface of it, and it's why I'm trying to confirm through a source not called "ESPN".

I'm not even talking about what I believe is the inherent value of the teams. I'm talking about what is being reported by ESPN of the estimated value of the FOX contract to the C7 (30-40 mil, without football) and comparing it to the value of the Big East (20-23 mil, with football). Those numbers don't add up. At all. Something is up...

Reaction Score
Might think biggest drawback for any contractual commitment is that the top commodities in this league will get pulled out before it expires. This league could potentially go to cr@p very fast if realignment moves.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
Tulane radio is a deduction. Ask the C7.

The demographics of Southern Mississippi radio say Dollar Store and Rent a Lemon and Used Bedding are the leading sponsors if Bubbas BBQ backs out

Sent from my Lumia 920 via Windows 8. Now bite me Apple Droids.

Reaction Score
Might think biggest drawback for any contractual commitment is that the top commodities in this league will get pulled out before it expires. This league could potentially go to cr@p very fast if realignment moves.
Another very good point. I'm too drunk to think of any myself. But I can sort of pick em out!

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
I doubt that's the full contact. It reads like the "one of 3 deals" thing

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Look at the CUSA deal with Fox. Add 10 percent. Hope the Big East doesn't get nailed for the same blatantly illegal practices CUSA got nailed for and screwed Fox as a result of.

That's it. That's the contract. That's all it will be.

Reaction Score
So UConn Women's basketball is worth $1.5M to SNY (probably $2M total when you factor in the CBS & ESPN money to the Big East) and UConn basketball and football combined is worth $2.3M??????

Like others have mentioned we could probably get at least $10M if we sold our own TV rights.

zls44

Reaction Score
With the right to match, at that money, ESPN can "blow them out of the water" for $50 million a year.

Thanks again, NBC!

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
So UConn Women's basketball is worth $1.5M to SNY (probably $2M total when you factor in the CBS & ESPN money to the Big East) and UConn basketball and football combined is worth $2.3M??????

Like others have mentioned we could probably get at least $10M if we sold our own TV rights.

This!

So that tells you that something isn't adding up, right?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The biggest drawback is that we're going to have UCF, Houston, Eastern Carolina, Tulane, South Florida, Southern Methodist, Temple and Memphis.

These guys are third, fourth or fifth in their own markets - nationally, jesus, the bubonic plague has more commercial appeal than a Wednesday night tilt between Tulane and Temple.

Reaction Score
I doubt that's the full contact. It reads like the "one of 3 deals" thing

Which one doesn't belong and why?!

zls44

Reaction Score
It is a mid major deal for a mid major conference. UConn WBB means heck all in this. They only key is making sure with whatever deal that UConn can keep the SNY and HE deals to supplement revenue.

Rutgers will make $30 million a year in TV revenue.
Syracuse et al will make $14 million a year.
UConn will make $3.5 a year.

Welcome to the new reality.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
The biggest drawback is that we're going to have UCF, Houston, Eastern Carolina, Tulane, South Florida, Southern Methodist, Temple and Memphis.

These guys are third, fourth or fifth in their own markets - nationally, jesus, the bubonic plague has more commercial appeal than a Wednesday night tilt between Tulane and Temple.

I understand that, Fishy, but here is the thing to really consider: Does Providence have TWICE the national appeal of SMU? Does Seton Hall have TWICE the national appeal of Houston? Does St. John's have TWICE the national appeal of USF?

That's what's not adding up for me. Either our number is wrong, the C7 number is wrong, or both...

zls44

Reaction Score
I understand that, Fishy, but here is the thing to really consider: Does Providence have TWICE the national appeal of SMU? Does Seton Hall have TWICE the national appeal of Houston? Does St. John's have TWICE the national appeal of USF?[/I]

The problem is that the C7 teams have been on rated networks for thirty years. None of the networks who broadcast the rest are rated, with rare CBS or ABC exceptions. CBS SN isn't rated. It's all a giant guessing game.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I understand that, Fishy, but here is the thing to really consider: Does Providence have TWICE the national appeal of SMU? Does Seton Hall have TWICE the national appeal of Houston? Does St. John's have TWICE the national appeal of USF?

That's what's not adding up for me. Either our number is wrong, the C7 number is wrong, or both...

Despite what you read on the internet, the C7 doesn't have a contract.

Reaction Score
Half the BE could get more than $2.3M if they sold the TV rights individually. Maybe the league should just go that route.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Despite what you read on the internet, the C7 doesn't have a contract.

So that, I'm aware of. There are very few of us who ARE aware of that fact on the BY, seemingly. However, what I'm saying is that these are the estimates as reported by the same guy. In other words, I'm saying that McMurphy is either wrong about the C-7, wrong about us, or both...

pj

Reaction Score
Going independent looks better than ever, if a scheduling alliance could be formed with one or two major leagues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HassanDawg

Top Bottom