Herbst: UConn is "sought after" | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Herbst: UConn is "sought after"

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
all i gotta say is "how awesome if we actually had a choice" - if both the Big 10 and the ACC wanted us? that would pretty much be a fantasy scenario for UCONN. not sure that ever happens, but we can dream right?! from a hoops perspective, i'd rather be in the ACC, but from a football perspective, Big 10 easily.

Reaction Score
do some lurking on Big 10 boards, a mention of UConn in the expansion mix gets greeted with mocks and sneers, basketball championships aside.

I have to say, If we get a big 10 invite.... really wont care what a bunch of Minnesotan's think aboot it.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Big 10 or ACC ? Reminds me of that deep philosophical discussion we used to have in college. Gun to your head, would rather eat a plateful of or a plateful of dirt? I guess I would rather eat , I mean join the ACC. Big 10 basketball is horribly dull. And so is Big 10 football, for that matter.

Reaction Score
Throw in the fact that you'd have Syracuse, Pittsburgh and Boston College to renew rivalries with and I don't see why anyone would prefer the Big 10.

Those are three reasons right there. I'm sorry. Give me Penn State and Ohio State. I know it's not an option. I sincerely believe Pres. Susan when she says ACC is the best option for Uconn. But still, given a choice? Say the B1g invites Rutgers and Uconn. ACC too. C'mon. I just mean, c'mon. Take me to the Heartland!

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Gun to your head, would rather eat a plateful of or a plateful of dirt? I guess I would rather eat , .

Really? Id go for the plate of dirt every time. Eating a plate of s hit would be excrutiating.

Reaction Score
Well, I'll bring it up. From a women's hoops standpoint, the B10 sucks. Their best team, Ohio State, got owned by a UConn freshman last year.

But, in the larger picture, while women's hoops isn't a major driver, like soccer and baseball it's an indication of overall excellence in athletics that might be appealing to other conferences. Plus, Geno adds a little cachet, being an Olympic coach.
Nan, if the B1g can't compete in women's bball, that's a dealbreaker for most of us here. Absolute dealbreaker! How's the ACC? Any better?

Reaction Score
Really? Id go for the plate of dirt every time. Eating a plate of s hit would be excrutiating.
Must be a Pitt fan, they're used to hearing that phrase ;)

Reaction Score
The gap between the Big 10 and the ACC isn't even close. The Big 10 has better schools, better tradition, more money, larger fan bases, etc.

Breaking through into the middle group of the Big 10 would nearly be impossible. Simply put, we just don't have those resources our disposal.

Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, Wisconsin, Nebraska as the top tier.

Iowa, Michigan State, Purdue, as the middle tier

Illinois, Indiana, Northwestern, Minnesota as the lower tier.

I mean, where do you realistically think we'd fall?

fact check.
Better schools - do you mean academics? No, they do not
Better tradition - too qualitative to answer, it's an opinion
More Money - I'd mark this even - 6 ACC schools have endowments over $1 billion, most Big 10 schools do too

I'd say UConn would be mid-tier in the short term, aspire for the top tier long term

Reaction Score
C'mon man.....no offense to our team, but 9 times out of 10 ND would have beaten us

Michigan was in free fall with Rich Rod on his way out and it was DR's first start for them

and...Indiana really? thats your argument

UConn needs to improve exponentially to compete in that league on a weekly basis
Yeah, we would. News Item: We are going to have to improve exponentially to compete in the Big East this year. And it's not likely to happen. We have Zero skill players. We are in a world of hurt. I've been watching these games. So yeah, but at least we would have something to sell to recruits.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Purdue has been very good at women's hoops over the years. BE women's hoops stinks. The only reason ND and others have improved is the chance to play UConn. We'd have the same affect in any league. Hoops in B1g is solid and more balanced than the ACC of late. For the school, academics and all, Big Ten is a no brainer.

Reaction Score
Yeah, we would. News Item: We are going to have to improve exponentially to compete in the Big East this year. And it's not likely to happen. We have Zero skill players. We are in a world of hurt. I've been watching these games. So yeah, but at least we would have something to sell to recruits.
I agree we have no one on offense an opposing team fears.
We have little to no quick strike ability.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Some of you are underestimating the role of conference affilliation plays in recruiting. Being able to play away games near a recruits home town and the level of competition can be a significant factor to a recruit. Every team in the B1G has been to the Rose Bowl since the BE has been playing football and some of those programs are terrible. I have no worries, that UConn can compete and have success on the field in whatever conference it may happen to land.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
The gap between the Big 10 and the ACC isn't even close. The Big 10 has better schools,

Wait...what? The ACC and Big 10 have these schools in the Top 50 of the U.S. News & World Reports list:

The ACC has #10 Duke, #25 Virginia, #25 Wake Forest, #29 North Carolina, #31 BC, #36 GA Tech, #38 Miami
The Big 10 has #12 Northwestern, #28 Michigan, #42 Wisconsin, #45 Penn State, #45 Illinois

jrazz12

BEast mode
Reaction Score
Wait...what? The ACC and Big 10 have these schools in the Top 50 of the U.S. News & World Reports list:

The ACC has #10 Duke, #25 Virginia, #25 Wake Forest, #29 North Carolina, #31 BC, #36 GA Tech, #38 Miami
The Big 10 has #12 Northwestern, #28 Michigan, #42 Wisconsin, #45 Penn State, #45 Illinois

The academic argument for the B1G is 1. Reputation, 2. $$$ (research), and 3. the fact that most are state research schools, such as ourselves

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Nan, if the B1g can't compete in women's bball, that's a dealbreaker for most of us here. Absolute dealbreaker! How's the ACC? Any better?

Ha ha. I know women's hoops isn't a player in the conference realignment. Just grumbling aloud because the B10 sucks in wcbb.

Reaction Score

That's true but that's this year. Based on games among UConn, Pitt, Iowa and Iowa State, you really think there is a huge difference between Iowa and UConn or Pitt? You think Iowa is at the bottom tier of the Big Ten? The last four years, we went a combined 16-12 in the Big East. Would we have done quite that well in the Big Ten? Probably not. But we easily could have been at .500.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
We beat Indiana with one of the worst teams we've had in the last 10 years... we'd definitely be mid tier... and that's without the advantage of recruiting as a Big 10 school.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
The academic argument for the B1G is 1. Reputation, 2. $$$ (research), and 3. the fact that most are state research schools, such as ourselves

Exactly. The CIC is a big deal when it's come to academic research.

Also, somebody above question the difference in tradition between the Big10 schools and the ACC schools. Which is absolutely ludicrous.

Nebraska, Michigan and Ohio State have more tradition and history than the entire ACC x 10.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Those are three reasons right there. I'm sorry. Give me Penn State and Ohio State. I know it's not an option. I sincerely believe Pres. Susan when she says ACC is the best option for Uconn. But still, given a choice? Say the B1g invites Rutgers and Uconn. ACC too. C'mon. I just mean, c'mon. Take me to the Heartland!

To be rivals it has to work both ways. You just don't become rivals because they are on the schedule...

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
People really need to stop bringing up women's basketball.

Our women's basketball team could have just lost 95 in a row, it wouldn't make a difference to the issue at hand.
One small piece of the equation that appears to have eluded everyone with a professional opinion is that our women's hoops team as a conference member can (for all other conference members) turn sport that bleeds money almost everywhere into one that at worst will lose a manageable amount of money and at best be a (small) revenue sport.

Does anyone believe that having the Lady Huskies on the schedule won't increase attendance and (BTN) viewership for the Iowas, Wisconsins, Michigans and Nebraskas out there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom