Herbst: UConn is "sought after" | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Herbst: UConn is "sought after"

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
we agree on something
I know I'm probably in a minority, but I'd rather be in the ACC than the Big 10. Being the Eastern most outpost in a midwestern league is not attractive to me.

If you want to recruit football players you need to be in a league in the Southeast. The UConn administration may be more interested in the Big 10 due to the academic implications, but I'd much rather be in a league where the long term demographics are much more favorable. Throw in the fact that you'd have Syracuse, Pittsburgh and Boston College to renew rivalries with and I don't see why anyone would prefer the Big 10.
I'm leaning your way as well. B1G is second choice.

Reaction Score
Would it help when we fade into irrelevancy? An Eastern school, that gets beat up every week by Midwestern powerhouses?

Trust me, if the BIG offered, we'd have to accept it, I just don't like our chances of ever being more than a middle of the pack-or lower-football team.

I bet you said when Uconn joined the Big East, especially after Cliffy got suspended and we had to play walkons, "I'm sure we'll grow our boys basketball team to national prominence and join the select group of schools with 3 or more national championships by 2010". ;) Surprising stuff happens, and not always bad.

Reaction Score
1. I would prefer ACC.

2. having said that, I'm not afraid of Big Ten football. Over the last decade it's been better than the ACC and Big East, but by a few (one or two) points per team per game. There is a presumption of superiority, but in reality the level of football if comparable.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
UConn would have a miserable time trying to recruit football players playing in the Big 10. The players in the league's footprint who don't go to the SEC or ACC want to go to Ohio State, Michigan and Wisconsin. There is no way to beat Syracuse, BC and Rutgers on enough players in the Northeast to finish above .500 in the league.

Reaction Score
Did we not beat Notre Dame two years ago? I know they are not Big 10 but they are Big 10 quality. We were in the Michigan game if DJ doesn't fumble.

I could of sworn the first game at the Rent was against Indiana. Didn't we win that game?

Alot of small time thinkers on this board. None of you are the Makers Muppet.

Reaction Score
Did we not be Notre Dame two years ago? I know they are not Big 10 but they are Big 10 quality. We were in the Michigan game if DJ doesn't fumble.

I could of sworn the first game at the Rent was against Indiana. Didn't we win that game?

C'mon man.....no offense to our team, but 9 times out of 10 ND would have beaten us

Michigan was in free fall with Rich Rod on his way out and it was DR's first start for them

and...Indiana really? thats your argument

UConn needs to improve exponentially to compete in that league on a weekly basis

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
9 times out of 10 ND beats us? You realize they lost to Navy that year and we beat USCe and USF? 6 out of 10 at most, dude...

Reaction Score
Did we not beat Notre Dame two years ago? I know they are not Big 10 but they are Big 10 quality. We were in the Michigan game if DJ doesn't fumble.

So we are 1-1 against the Big 10 and Indiana just lost to Ball State O_O

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
People really need to stop bringing up women's basketball.
Our women's basketball team could have just lost 95 in a row, it wouldn't make a difference to the issue at hand.

Well, I'll bring it up. From a women's hoops standpoint, the B10 sucks. Their best team, Ohio State, got owned by a UConn freshman last year.

But, in the larger picture, while women's hoops isn't a major driver, like soccer and baseball it's an indication of overall excellence in athletics that might be appealing to other conferences. Plus, Geno adds a little cachet, being an Olympic coach.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Penn State is going to get back on their feet in short order once they deal with Paterno. Michigan, Ohio State and Wisconsin as programs are light years ahead of where UConn is today. You'd need an excellent coach to get UConn to the Illinois/Michigan State level. I don't have any idea how you'd hold onto a coach who could get you to the into the top quarter of that league.

Reaction Score
We are 2-1 against the B10. We beat Indiana in the return game at Bloomington.

The issue isn't whether we're ready to win the Big Ten. No one said we were. The issue is why you think it's so much harder in an average year to win the Big Ten than it is to win the ACC. The Big Ten has been better at the top, but top to bottom they've been fairly close to each other and the Big East.

Reaction Score
Thanks for the Article
Wishful thinking...ND and UConn going to the B10
UConn adding 15,000 seats to the Rent. Then the big boys would come.

There is little doubt in my mind that assurances regarding the stadium would have to be resolved as a condition of inclusion into either the ACC or the B10. Unless of course we don't mind playing our conference games on the road for a few years.

Reaction Score
If the ACC adds UConn and RU, that would be the closest you'd ever get to having Eastern Football in the Big Time under one umbrella. I hope we get the call.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
There is little doubt in my mind that assurances regarding the stadium would have to be resolved as a condition of inclusion into either the ACC or the B10. Unless of course we don't mind playing our conference games on the road for a few years.

Why would the stadium have to be figured out before UConn could join the ACC? There are already smaller stadiums in the league and it's not like Pittsburgh and Syracuse were attractive because their fans come as empty seats.

Reaction Score
C'mon, Temple almost beat Penn State last week. We could do well in that conference. Our recruiting would pick up big time and the Rent would be expanded. We'd be playing big boy football and Cuse and BC would be playing basketball league football.

Those teams are very tough at home, but the gap isn't as great otherwise. That's why we really need to start to make our place a house of pain. That's as much on the fans as anyone. This past week the large number of empty chairbacks, bags of dust sitting on their hands, and peeps leaving (on a Friday night?) to go who knows where before ur last posession was depressing and kind of po'd me.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Those teams are very tough at home, but the gap isn't as great otherwise. That's why we really need to start to make our place a house of pain. That's as much on the fans as anyone. This past week the large number of empty chairbacks, bags of dust sitting on their hands, and peeps leaving (on a Friday night?) to go who knows where before ur last posession was depressing and kind of po'd me.

Was it your first game? :)

Reaction Score
do some lurking on Big 10 boards, a mention of UConn in the expansion mix gets greeted with mocks and sneers, basketball championships aside.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
do some lurking on Big 10 boards, a mention of UConn in the expansion mix gets greeted with mocks and sneers, basketball championships aside.

Fans, and even coaches, don't get a say in what's going to happen.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I read that as not just the ACC talking to her. Wishfull thinking? Maybe....
we can hope. as fans i wonder if we have less knowledge than the higher ups at UCONN do, and i don't that in a sarcastic way. she specifically mentions the "Huge" influence we have over the NY market. frankly that's new to me. as someone else pointed out, we are the #4 draw on SNY, but i'm not sure what other "instututions" they cover.

but if that's true and we are more desireable than RU or WVU or several of the other schools shopping their s#it, so to speak, then that bodes well. i read elsewhere that it could be a few days, a few weeks, or a few months before anything is decided. UCONN could well be sitting around waiting and waiting till Texas and ND make up their collective minds. let's hope that programs like FSU or BCU don't keep us out of the ACC if that's best for us.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score

FTR, ACC boards (aside from BC and UNC) are generally in favor of our admission.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
The gap between the Big 10 and the ACC isn't even close. The Big 10 has better schools, better tradition, more money, larger fan bases, etc.

Breaking through into the middle group of the Big 10 would nearly be impossible. Simply put, we just don't have those resources our disposal.

Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, Wisconsin, Nebraska as the top tier.

Iowa, Michigan State, Purdue, as the middle tier

Illinois, Indiana, Northwestern, Minnesota as the lower tier.

I mean, where do you realistically think we'd fall?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom