Herbst Stepping Down | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Herbst Stepping Down

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Good luck with that. It's exactly what was said when Edsall left. It's not as easy as it looks.

Frame this in bronze.

So I happened to be poking around some college football stats this morning.

Can anyone name a coach who got as long an opportunity as Randy Edsall (200+ games as a head coach at a major program) and lost as often as Edsall has?

I’ll hang up and listen.

(Pro tip: It’s not a good look for the worst run program in college sports - but I know who you need to root against this year).

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Bill Snyder would be my guess without looking at jack squat on the inter webs.

In my opinion we cannot get past being a 6 win team without changing our instate recruiting. While I think ct kids tend to be a bit over rated (0h boy here come the arrows) , I don’t think you can build a sustained winner without getting 6 to 8 of the top 15 kids in your home state every year. Pulling in a national team with few top flight locals is exhausting.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Bill Snyder would be my guess without looking at jack squat on the inter webs.

In my opinion we cannot get past being a 6 win team without changing our instate recruiting. While I think ct kids tend to be a bit over rated (0h boy here come the arrows) , I don’t think you can build a sustained winner without getting 6 to 8 of the top 15 kids in your home state every year. Pulling in a national team with few top flight locals is exhausting.

Um Bill Snyder is old... he is also 210-110.

The current coach with a similar record is funnier.

Reaction Score
We suffer in comparison to the schools in our immediate area... Harvard, Yale, Brown, Columbia, MIT, RIT, WPI... starting to see the problem? This is where all those researchers have been going. No one else has those problems.
Yeah but none of the schools you mentioned are state funded public Universities. To be mentioned with them though in the same sentence is an honor, and to be recognized as a "Public Ivy" school means UConn can provide an Ivy league level education at a fraction of the cost. This is why UConn had almost 40,000 applicants last spring. To be recognized along with other Public Ivy's like Michigan and UC Berkeley is quite an accomplishment.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Um Bill Snyder is old... he is also 210-110.

The current coach with a similar record is funnier.
I winged it and lost. I can’t believe he has a winning record.

Reaction Score
I am not going to say she has been the greatest president and I am not fully convinced that she is even been "good"
I am glad she is not just diving overboard but has done the right thing in giving the system time to search for her replacement.
She has made some mistakes - the whole Warde "rock star" crap comes to mind and not sure if closing Torrington was the right call but she has had to deal with some very trying budget issues.
Her calling Malloy as a positive for the state and University has my head spinning
I'm not sad seeing her leave but am concerned at the quality of candidates UConn can expect seeing the financial crisis that the state is in currently. I always felt that she allowed her liberal political slant to be too evident.
I do find it "quirky" that she will be teaching PS at UConn-Stamford
Thought for sure her next step would be a president at a private college without being hassled with state BS
She closed a branch in Torrington, saving 1/87,000,000 of 1% of the budget What courage, what foresight! Great President? Hardly. Presidents Jorgensen, Babbidge and Hartley were builders of the University, and kept it on course as an institution which Connecticut folks could afford. And, imagine, they did it without buying a house on Prospect Street in Hartford in order to entertain visiting dignitaries in a fashion to which she was accustomed. Why are we surprised by a job in Stamford? Uconn has sunk a ton of money into that campus on some very expensive real estate. Anyone recall who was Mayor there once? Quid pro quo.

Reaction Score
Presidents Jorgensen, Babbidge and Hartley were builders of the University, and kept it on course as an institution which Connecticut folks could afford.

No offense to those pioneers but its a bit more challenging to run a university these days. Whether you want to admit it or not, Herbst outperformed them and did it at a time when the State was much more fiscally challenged.

Reaction Score
She might actually have to accomplish something other than spend money
Can anyone name a coach who got as long an opportunity as Randy Edsall and lost as often as Edsall has?

OK Leviathan, I get it. You've done all the analysis and concluded Edsall sucks and Herbst is a fraud. Fortunately, unlike you, most of us don't wake up every morning looking for clouds, hoping for rain.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
OK Leviathan, I get it. You've done all the analysis and concluded Edsall sucks and Herbst is a fraud. Fortunately, unlike you, most of us don't wake up every morning looking for clouds, hoping for rain.

If it’s pouring when you wake up, you tell us it’s a perfect clear and sunny day.

Sorry your hero turned out to be a fraud. It was actually time to lead and turned out we had the Runaway President.

Have a little pride, maybe then you can hold UConn’s football program to a higher standard.

Reaction Score
Frame this in bronze.

Can anyone name a coach who got as long an opportunity as Randy Edsall (200+ games as a head coach at a major program) and lost as often as Edsall has?

I’ll hang up and listen.

(Pro tip: It’s not a good look for the worst run program in college sports - but I know who you need to root against this year).

Pasqualoni?

Reaction Score
No one is irreplaceable but, depending on how you classify success in a job, finding the right person for your particular set of circumstances is the challenge.

If you're looking for a positive, upbeat, everything is wonderful (as long as my budget has all the dollars I requested) person, it's easy. Give them the money and watch them build new facilities, hire all sorts of new administrative staff (and maybe some faculty), and build the school's reputation.

But, if you're in a state that can't say no to anyone and spends money it doesn't have on programs for every special interest group that might help politicians get elected or stay in office, the pigeons may have already come home to roost.

It may be too late to build a world class reputation in fields of study and research where the job growth will outstrip those of today but if you hang on to old theories and try to be all things to all people your days are numbered.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Frame this in bronze.

I’ll hang up and listen.

Sigh - you're reaching here. Getting to start a I-A program from scratch, and clean up after PP/Diaco - it's not like he's had the 2 best hands here. Maryland isn't exactly Alabama, either.

Reaction Score
No offense to those pioneers but its a bit more challenging to run a university these days. Whether you want to admit it or not, Herbst outperformed them and did it at a time when the State was much more fiscally challenged.
Jorgensen and Babbidge failed to develop connections with the business community and had no real private/alumni fundraising. This is the source of many of UConn's current problems. The earlier you start, the more you have.

Reaction Score
Jorgensen and Babbidge failed to develop connections with the business community and had no real private/alumni fundraising. This is the source of many of UConn's current problems. The earlier you start, the more you have.
Really? Jorgensen got money from the legislature to build UConn`s physical plant. He had the best input to the State of any President, Herbst included. Babbidge was a Renissance man who often walked around campus talking to students about their experience at the University. He ate at our house there times while he was there, and hung around after to talk. He taught a Shakespeare course, if I remember correctly. Harry Hartley was the one that began using the massive funding from Uconn 2000. Herbst was none of these. And, just imagine, the Foundation helped fund her salary at least once. Spare me the tales of greatness by Susan Herbst.

Reaction Score
If it’s pouring when you wake up, you tell us it’s a perfect clear and sunny day.

I guess that's the great divide. Some folks remain inside cursing the rain with a scowl. Others see the rain and walk through the door with a smile.

Reaction Score
Jorgensen got money from the legislature to build UConn`s physical plant. Babbidge was a Renaissance man. Harry Hartley began using the massive funding from UConn 2000. Herbst was none of these. Spare me the tales of greatness by Susan Herbst.

They are respected for sure but please, their administrations don't come close to the challenges facing Susan Herbst.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I guess that's the great divide. Some folks remain inside cursing the rain with a scowl. Others see the rain and walk through the door with a smile.

You missed the bucket you fall into:

Delusionally tells everyone to skip the umbrella. It’s not raining.

Let the countdown start: only about 420 days and cut and run Suz is gone and we can get back to the business of winning.

Reaction Score
Because when you get named President of a school that is known for literally one thing and they ask you what your favorite sport is you answer... lacrosse.

She didn’t come here to make your football team great. She delegated that to Randy Edsall and David Benedict. She came here to improve academic standards and raise money. Unfortunately the two most important sources of that are the state government and the Uconn alumni. The government is incompetent and the alumni for the most part don’t care.

Reaction Score
Really? Jorgensen got money from the legislature to build UConn`s physical plant. He had the best input to the State of any President, Herbst included. Babbidge was a Renissance man who often walked around campus talking to students about their experience at the University. He ate at our house there times while he was there, and hung around after to talk. He taught a Shakespeare course, if I remember correctly. Harry Hartley was the one that began using the massive funding from Uconn 2000. Herbst was none of these. And, just imagine, the Foundation helped fund her salary at least once. Spare me the tales of greatness by Susan Herbst.
Both Jorgensen and Babbidge should have set up large scale private and alumni fundraising. Babbidge especially, coming from Yale, had to know that elite universities, whether private or public, had to have large endowments. It was Casteen, who later raised a lot of money at UVA, who really moved UConn forward on this important front.

Reaction Score
Because when you get named President of a school that is known for literally one thing and they ask you what your favorite sport is you answer... lacrosse.

Her favorite sport is whale watching.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom