Herbst Stepping Down | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Herbst Stepping Down

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Her favorite sport is whale watching.

Thankfully the nightmare will be over soon and we can not hear the duplicitous Suzie Lax platitudes about sports.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
You missed the bucket you fall into:

Delusionally tells everyone to skip the umbrella. It’s not raining.

Let the countdown start: only about 420 days and cut and run Suz is gone and we can get back to the business of winning.

You mean 420 days until Dannel Malloy is your next University President. It's no secret he aspires to lead a major university as his next gig. The only way he doesn't get this job is if somehow the Dems dont retain the governorship and in this state, despite everything, its still their seat to lose.

Reaction Score
Any blue state right now that has no major natural resources (like oil, mining (metalic ores, potash, coal) agriculture, shipping, lumber) or even tourism to fall back on and is raising every category of taxes at the rate like Connecticut, can expect to be in the same trouble soon. New York and Illinois are fast working on that. Connecticuts great resource over the past 80 years was it's manufacturing, it's corporate hubs, and it's blue collar work force, but tax, tax and tax of all kinds destroyed that. Take a drive this weekend down rt 34 through Oxford, Seymour, Derby, over to Ansonia and Shelton and see all the empty warehouses and manufacturing plants. Even venerable Sikorsky Aircraft was about to leave until Governor "tax everybody and everything" Malloy realized it would be a political mistake for the Democrats to let them leave.

I get your point here on the tax situation. You mention the Naugy Valley towns but you left out the other towns from Torrington down to Bridgeport. With out carrying on there is not a single area of CT that was not hurt by the loss of manufacturing.
No argument here, I just want to point out taxes are / were only part of the problem that generated the situation we are in. Two of the main reasons of our demise in industry were location and pollution. Many of our manufactures were attracted to the south for (tax abatement's) lower labor costs and not having to heat huge buildings. The anti pollution laws allowing us to breath and no longer be able to walk across our rivers came in the 70's. This had a very big cost on manufacturing just about anything. There are scrubbers for smoke and recycling for chemicals but it costs a bundle.
At what point does China want to go the clean route and level the field? Not sure but the time is coming as they have farmers protesting the smog is so bad they cannot get enough sun to grow their crops, school closures and folks in the cities wearing masks 24/7.
Again I get your point and hate the taxes but that is not the only reason for our manufacturing demise.

I guess that's the great divide. Some folks remain inside cursing the rain with a scowl. Others see the rain and walk through the door with a smile.

Nothing wrong with rain...No rain no beer...;)

Reaction Score
No offense to those pioneers but its a bit more challenging to run a university these days. Whether you want to admit it or not, Herbst outperformed them and did it at a time when the State was much more fiscally challenged.
What? Babbidge dealt with Vietnam and upheaval on campus, for God's sake! Uconn was "the cow college" before Jorgenson got the money to build, among other things, the Jungle, Towers, Humanities (Arjona), Social Sciences (across the street, Montieth?), (Torrey) Life Sciences, and parts of both West and South Campus dormitories. At the same time he welcomed many WW II and Korean War vets to be educated on campus. We've had great presidents over the years, thank God. Herbst is not one of them. Nor were her assistants to the assistants whom she surrouded herself with. By the way, her experience working at a big-time football school was going to help us realign, remember? How'd that work out?

Reaction Score
unimpressive - the S&P 500 returned 128% from May 2011 - May 2018 w/ dividends w/o any additions
Beating an index fund over the long term? I dunno, to me that is impressive.

Reaction Score
Bill Snyder would be my guess without looking at jack squat on the inter webs.

In my opinion we cannot get past being a 6 win team without changing our instate recruiting. While I think ct kids tend to be a bit over rated (0h boy here come the arrows) , I don’t think you can build a sustained winner without getting 6 to 8 of the top 15 kids in your home state every year. Pulling in a national team with few top flight locals is exhausting.

Getting off topic here, but Edsall needs to change in state football development in addition to recruiting.

Reaction Score
Getting off topic here, but Edsall needs to change in state football development in addition to recruiting.

Talk about "easier said than done." It has always seemed to me that CIAC rules related to the off-season and player contact with coaching staffs retard development and place CT HS football behind players from other sections of the country.

Reaction Score
Talk about "easier said than done." It has always seemed to me that CIAC rules related to the off-season and player contact with coaching staffs retard development and place CT HS football behind players from other sections of the country.
The CIAC rules are good for the 90+% of the kids that will never play college sports

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
she did squat for sports. Teaching at UConn Stamford now at a no show job. Almost as bad as the dead doc drawing a salary and them not even having him check in.

Alum86

Reaction Score
What? Babbidge dealt with Vietnam and upheaval on campus, for God's sake! Uconn was "the cow college" before Jorgenson got the money to build, among other things, the Jungle, Towers, Humanities (Arjona), Social Sciences (across the street, Montieth?), (Torrey) Life Sciences, and parts of both West and South Campus dormitories. At the same time he welcomed many WW II and Korean War vets to be educated on campus. We've had great presidents over the years, thank God. Herbst is not one of them. Nor were her assistants to the assistants whom she surrouded herself with. By the way, her experience working at a big-time football school was going to help us realign, remember? How'd that work out?
Fantastic post.

Alum86

Reaction Score
They are respected for sure but please, their administrations don't come close to the challenges facing Susan Herbst.
Thanks Mr Suzy. She has bailed and is being taken care of by Dannel. She said trust her with regards to conference realignment and bombed. A downtown campus in the hood to replace a campus in W Htfd to be politically correct ain’t much

Reaction Score
FWIW @husky8273 and @RSTuthill, UConn Foundation asset allocation:

"Asset Allocation Targets and Benchmarks

The Total Portfolio (as executed through the Account Assets and Non-Account Assets) shall be allocated among the asset classes set forth below and shall be managed within the range and consistent with the strategic target for each such asset class set forth below. The Investment Committee shall have discretion to tactically overweight or underweight certain asset classes so long as each asset class remains within the range set forth below.

Fund Category
Asset Class Long Term Target Range
Growth Global Equity 30% 10–60%
Growth Hedge Funds – Directional 10 0–25
Growth Private Capital 25 5–45
Risk Minimizing Global Fixed Income 7.5 5–30
Risk Min. Hedge Funds – Non-Directional 7.5 0–20
Risk Min. Portfolio Diversification Strategies 5 0–15
Risk Minimization Cash -0- 0–25
Inflation Hedging Marketable Real Assets -0 - 0–10
Inflation Hedging Private Real Assets 15 0–30
Total 100%"

Last edited:

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Any blue state right now that has no major natural resources (like oil, mining (metalic ores, potash, coal) agriculture, shipping, lumber) or even tourism to fall back on and is raising every category of taxes at the rate like Connecticut, can expect to be in the same trouble soon. New York and Illinois are fast working on that. Connecticuts great resource over the past 80 years was it's manufacturing, it's corporate hubs, and it's blue collar work force, but tax, tax and tax of all kinds destroyed that. Take a drive this weekend down rt 34 through Oxford, Seymour, Derby, over to Ansonia and Shelton and see all the empty warehouses and manufacturing plants. Even venerable Sikorsky Aircraft was about to leave until Governor "tax everybody and everything" Malloy realized it would be a political mistake for the Democrats to let them leave.

Thinks it's 1970 ^^^^.

CT's economic advantages are these Post WWII and mostly still are unless of course we stop investing in ourselves:

1. A highly educated workforce
2. Proximity to NYC specifically and the densely populated NE in general.
3. Lower taxes than surrounding states (still do)
4. A higher than average density of corporate HQ's especially in the financial, insurance, healthcare and defense industries.
5. A top tier place to raise a family.
6. Natural disasters of a catastrophic scale are rare to non-existent.

Our disadvantages:
1. Aging workforce
2. Falling behind in future growth industries and already missed out on a number of them.
3. A declining commitment to meaningful infrastructure upgrades. We fix and/or rearrange deck chairs.
4. Older housing stock in neither conducive to attracting young families like it once did and gentrification is not economically viable in the CT sprawl zone.
5. We have a debt problem over the next 20 years due to ignoring it for 30 years. Need to find a way to service the debt without cutting key investments.
6. The remote economy no longer prioritizes proximity to large economic centers.
7. Other regions are easier and cheaper to exploit driving capital to these places in the same way manufacturing is drawn to places like SE Asia.

We require a creativity that is non-existent in people who seek public office. The clip art ads that I am already seeing doesn't fill me with confidence. The "business guy" whomever he is looks like a complete dolt and his ad full of dumbed down buzzwords is the opposite of creative.

Reaction Score
New Haven Register: High stakes for next leader

>>Whoever becomes the next governor will not only be expected to fix the state’s fiscal mess but also weigh in on the next president of its flagship university...<<

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom