Herbst Speaks | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Herbst Speaks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
3 years of some success (definitely not on the level of 1999).

Oh, so it was women's basketball that funded this thing...yeah, awesome.

Are you related to Susan Herbst? You appear to be an unabashed and unreserved supporter of hers. Until last night, I was slightly positive about Herbst and Manuel, but the Administration's seeming lack of skill in marketing UConn is a huge disappointment and this conference realignment fiasco has put UConn in a very vulnerable position. Athletics and conference affiliation are priority number one as they drive revenues. Louisville Community College understands this well.

F

fortebleedsblue

The reason we are not UMass right now academically is because of Calhoun and Auriemma. Athletics matter.

Post of the year. What the hell do people think brought Uconn to relevancy on a national level? As good a school as any it wasn't the school of dentistry that fired up the application base. Susane can enjoy the fruits of Calhoun for so long but that well will dry up if nothing changes

Reaction Score
Everyone needs to settle down, especially about SH/WM stuff. This is far from over. I don't care for the "sweet Big East memories" thing or whatever it was she said. Going forward it would serve her and WM to just say "our conference" and not even say the words big east.
by the way, I think Louisville's new 23,000-seat hoop arena (and McConnelll) played a pretty big role in this. Probably wouldn't hurt to get moving on a new arena here. And that's not a SH/WM thing

Reaction Score
Yeah...based on the one conference championship we had won, and 3 (recent) years of appearing in the NCAA. Not buying it. UConn 2000 was passed in 95.

Settle down young man. From your resume tagline you are clearly an academic, so I understand that it might be difficult for you to attribute the success of UConn 2000 to anything other than academic vision, but that just isn't the case.

We are not URI or UMass today because of the support (both public and private funds) that the school garnered after Jim and Geno started winning. How old were you in 1988 when UConn won the NIT or in 1990 when we Tate George hit the shot against Clemson? Those are the events that set UConn 2000 in motion in 1995. Has UConn 2000 been a success, of course. Will UConn be able to build on UConn 2000 if we are stuck in our current conference quagmire long term? It's possible, but its going to be extremely challenging.

If Herbst wasn't taking meetings and calls with anyone and everyone of importance at ACC schools than she failed. She should have spent the last 10 days in the state of North Carolina politicking for us and making the case that we are a valuable asset that needs to be scooped up. Instead she and the Dunkin Donut were sunning their arses on the beach in the BVI. They failed and there are better ways for them to deal with the UConn fanbase (donors) than this one.

Reaction Score
In early 1995, both UConn basketball teams were ranked No. 1 at the same time, which had never been done before. Women won the title, men had a good run before losing to UCLA. Pride in state U was at an all-time high.

Naturally, it took some great initiatives from other people outside of athletics for UConn 2000 to get drawn up (and then get it off the drawing board and into reality), but the political climate was ideal for it, largely due to the fact that UConn was so prominent on the minds of the whole state - nobody's constituents were going to complain about it.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk

Reaction Score
No disrespect , but there is no more reading between the lines. To many prominent Yarders insisted we were next. When whatever changes happen then I'll believe it.

Has any put out a missing persons report for HFD I'm worried about him! :)

I was thinking the same thing this morning!!

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
Jesus Herman Christ. WTF is she talking about?

One Bourbon, One Scotch, and One Beer .....

There's only one remedy here to celebrate UConn landing in the same conference as Tulane.

Suicide is painless....

Reaction Score
Not for nothing fellas, but this dance ain't over yet.
If Rutgers can find a seat at the table then UConn's a lock to land on its feet.
ND remains the key for the ACC.
If they pull the trigger, either you'll come with them or get scooped up by another big boy conference.
Patience sucks...but you'll be fine. Hang in.

Reaction Score
Settle down young man. From your resume tagline you are clearly an academic, so I understand that it might be difficult for you to attribute the success of UConn 2000 to anything other than academic vision, but that just isn't the case.

We are not URI or UMass today because of the support (both public and private funds) that the school garnered after Jim and Geno started winning. How old were you in 1988 when UConn won the NIT or in 1990 when we Tate George hit the shot against Clemson? Those are the events that set UConn 2000 in motion in 1995. Has UConn 2000 been a success, of course. Will UConn be able to build on UConn 2000 if we are stuck in our current conference quagmire long term? It's possible, but its going to be extremely challenging.

If Herbst wasn't taking meetings and calls with anyone and everyone of importance at ACC schools than she failed. She should have spent the last 10 days in the state of North Carolina politicking for us and making the case that we are a valuable asset that needs to be scooped up. Instead she and the Dunkin Donut were sunning their arses on the beach in the BVI. They failed and there are better ways for them to deal with the UConn fanbase (donors) than this one.

This may be the only reply needed until someone offers up one shred of evidence as to why this isn't true.

Reaction Score
If Rutgers can find a seat at the table then UConn's a lock to land on its feet.
If they pull the trigger, either you'll come with them or get scooped up by another big boy conference.

Waiting for ND? That's what you're pinning our hopes to? I'd like a second opinion Doc.

Reactions: caw

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I liked Herbst a lot better when she wasn't speaking. In that regard, not unlike a lot of women I've known I guess.

Oh, and anyone who doesn't realize that UConn 2000 and all that came with it was made possible because of the success of our basketball programs has no idea what they are talking about.

Reaction Score
Waiting for ND? That's what you're pinning our hopes to? I'd like a second opinion Doc.
Naw- but if the B1G or especially SEC moves into the ACC, then ND will have little choice but to jump.
And if they have to jump, it'll be into the ACC, at which point this whole rodeo comes to a halt.
Just saying you guys will be there at the end- maybe better than anyone else in the ACC, though that's where you belong.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
Naw- but if the B1G or especially SEC moves into the ACC, then ND will have little choice but to jump.
And if they have to jump, it'll be into the ACC, at which point this whole rodeo comes to a halt.
Just saying you guys will be there at the end- maybe better than anyone else in the ACC, though that's where you belong.

I still say ND never joins the ACC. But for argument purposes, let's say they do. Notre Dame will get their choice for team #16. I am still not convinced that they will not chose Navy as team #16. It would preserve their 'historic schedule' and will also get them back to the key Baltimore market.

Pinning our hopes on ND going to the ACC and taking us with them is fools gold.

Reaction Score
Herbst gets paid to make decisions. As much as this sucks, this was a decision she had no control over. Her actions have been sound.

If you need a scapegoat, just add this to the list of grievances against Deleone. It makes about as much sense.

Reaction Score
Are you related to Susan Herbst? You appear to be an unabashed and unreserved supporter of hers. Until last night, I was slightly positive about Herbst and Manuel, but the Administration's seeming lack of skill in marketing UConn is a huge disappointment and this conference realignment fiasco has put UConn in a very vulnerable position. Athletics and conference affiliation are priority number one as they drive revenues. Louisville Community College understands this well.

No, I'm just a person that values my degree a lot and think she is a fantastic President for UConn academically. Miles better than Austin and absolutely Hogan. I also know that athletics is important, but UConn has elevated itself academically to a point where it is no longer inseparable from the athletics program.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
No, I'm just a person that values my degree a lot and think she is a fantastic President for UConn academically. Miles better than Austin and absolutely Hogan. I also know that athletics is important, but UConn has elevated itself academically to a point where it is no longer inseparable from the athletics program.
You are kidding yourself if you don't think that this impacts us academically. You are judged by the company that you keep. We are now part of the also rans.

Reaction Score
You are kidding yourself if you don't think that this impacts us academically. You are judged by the company that you keep. We are now part of the also rans.

I didn't say that it wasn't going to affect academics, but it isn't going to sink the university. Far from it. UConn has a fantastic reputation among public institutions in the North East. It would take a lot more than staying in the Big East to rock that.

If you were going to say that football was canceled or whatever...then let's start talking about how much it would affect us academically.

caw

Reaction Score
I didn't say that it wasn't going to affect academics, but it isn't going to sink the university. Far from it. UConn has a fantastic reputation among public institutions in the North East. It would take a lot more than staying in the Big East to rock that.

If you were going to say that football was canceled or whatever...then let's start talking about how much it would affect us academically.

Assuming Georgetown is also in the conference, well there is at least one other school with solid academics.

Reaction Score
That's the problem with this line of thinking. The "if Rutgers/Louisville/Maryland can get a spot, we definitely can!" We are perceived to play in a tiny small off campus football stadium. We are perceived to have a terrible football program. We are perceived to not draw much media attention. Only one of those three things are true, the problem is, it doesn't matter what's true, it matters what everyone else thinks is true, and that's why we're stuck in this garbage dump of the Big East with these new other crackpot piece of sheet schools.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
I liked Herbst a lot better when she wasn't speaking. In that regard, not unlike a lot of women I've known I guess.

Oh, and anyone who doesn't realize that UConn 2000 and all that came with it was made possible because of the success of our basketball programs has no idea what they are talking about.

Agreed. Athletic prominence and success plays a huge role in the success of a university (unless you're Yale, Harvard, MIT...) Just look at the application numbers UCONN gets now compared to prior to the success of the UCONN men's and women's hoops teams. It's astounding. Also, the academic standards are so much higher than before. Just look at the average SAT scores and the lower percentage of applicants admitted.

When I was in high school, you never saw one of the top ten graduating seniors going to UCONN, now about half do. Sad to say but although I was accepted to UCONN 20+ years ago, I doubt I'd get in today.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom