Herbst Speaks | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Herbst Speaks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Remember that Reallignment Movie everyone was talking about...say goodbye to Meghan Fox, now Susan Herbst will be played by Roseanne Barr.

Reaction Score
I'm starting to feel sick over all this. I can't blame anyone for not wanting to go games. I'm gonna go to everyone til my eyes bleed from the product on the field but if was a smarter man there would be no way id put my self through this suffering. Let's hope she didn't mean any of it like I hope unc and uvas statements didn't mean anything

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Unlike Warde, she at least appeared competent based on her resume. So much for that.

Reaction Score
Remember, this woman runs the academic side of this university too. As much as this sucks, I have seen firsthand the brilliant things she has done to increase the states flagship univeristy and its endowment. Perspective everyone, or maybe that is too much to ask. Athletics are only a small component of the university.
As Bear Bryant once said:
"90,000 people aren't coming to watch a chemistry experiment."
Why do you think schools are killing to change and secure places in "ATHLETIC" conferences? $$$
Fundraising, for everything UConn, will be a hell alot easier entertaining at the Duke/Uconn hoops game than the Tulane game.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
she can't control the fact that FSU and Clemson demanded Louisville for "football" purposes, and the ACC conceded to them in an attempt to retain it's existing members

I think the ACC is beginning to make the same kind of concessions the Big East did prior to it's downfall, trying to plug a hole in the dike with their fingers

if MD doesn't pay the 50 mil, and if a football conference comes calling, I think FSU bails anyhow

Reaction Score
00182477_300.jpg

I failed you would have sufficed.​

Reaction Score
UConn 2000 was driven by the success of the basketball teams as support for UConn was at an all-time high in CT.

Yeah, UConn 2000 was passed before we won our first championship. Given that many other universities that don't have big sports programs are making similar pushes...I'm not going to buy that this is the sole reason it happened.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Gee thanks, Susan, let's go down with the ship. Now I feel so much better........I can see the 2011 national championship banner blowing majestically on the horizon as a tear rolls down my cheek and I slip beneath the waves.....

Reaction Score
Ok, I get it now. The confident facade was a bluff. We hold no cards, athletically speaking. I am now panicking.

Reaction Score
Maybe UConn2000 had everything to do with sports.

Yeah...based on the one conference championship we had won, and 3 (recent) years of appearing in the NCAA. Not buying it. UConn 2000 was passed in 95.

Reaction Score
Remember our success has been tied to the BE..... The BE is done. This is the Big Leftovers. Not the same. Now you expect me to drive from Maryland to watch us play to ECU? With PP as coach. When we lose to ECU we won't be able to get into the MAC

Reaction Score
Reading between the lines. I think the admin takes a long hard look at Pasqualoni and Co.

We can still salvage some good from this.

Reaction Score
Jeff Jacobs@jacobscourant
Susan Herbst: "The joy we've had for past couple decades has been in Big East. I think everybody should try to keep that in mind."

Anyone hoping for that B1G invite can forget that idea with this quote.

Well that makes it official, we're done as a premier athletic University. I'm all for academics and making my degree look better...I guess that is what I will root for now.

I really could care less about getting invited to an ACC that has had it's bones picked clean by everyone else...worse case if that takes a few years to shake out our programs will be horrible shape.

I'm done with college athletics....done.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Had absolutely nothing to do with UConn 2000....yup.

politicians were able to invest in the University because the basketball success made it politically viable to do so

so yes, UConn is what it is today because of Jim and Geno.

Reaction Score
UConn 2000 was driven by the success of the basketball teams as support for UConn was at an all-time high in CT.
Actually not the case, but it makes for a great myth. Lew Rome had far more to do with that program than Jim Calhoun.

arch

Reaction Score
Yeah, UConn 2000 was passed before we won our first championship. Given that many other universities that don't have big sports programs are making similar pushes...I'm not going to buy that this is the sole reason it happened.

Can we agree-necessary but not sufficient?

Reaction Score

You're wrong....Rebecca Lobo was actually taken to the Statehouse during the debate for UConn 2000...and her appearance evidently swayed a lot of votes. Athletics may not be the sole reason for UConn 2000, but it was a HUGE factor.

Reaction Score
It appears that our Marketing Department and PR Department are one and the same!!!!

Reaction Score
Here's more:

@jacobscourant
Herbst: "We can only try to change what we can change. Conference realignment is out of the control of most individual universities."

@jacobscourant
Herbst: "To tie ourselves up in knots about things out of our control, like in life in general, is not a recipe for success."

@jacobscourant
Dukie Herbst: "I'm dead serious about academics first. Academic reputation is forever."

Clearly Louisville didn't feel the same way. They lobbied and they fought (publicly), they brought in political support and rallied the troops. We postured, we monitored, we lost. They're in and we're on the island of lost toys. Fail.

Reaction Score
politicians were able to invest in the University because the basketball success made it politically viable to do so

so yes, UConn is what it is today because of Jim and Geno.

3 years of some success (definitely not on the level of 1999).

You're wrong....Rebecca Lobo was actually taken to the Statehouse during the debate for UConn 2000...and her appearance evidently swayed a lot of votes. Athletics may not be the sole reason for UConn 2000, but it was a HUGE factor.

Oh, so it was women's basketball that funded this thing...yeah, awesome.

Reaction Score
she can't control the fact that FSU and Clemson demanded Louisville for "football" purposes, and the ACC conceded to them in an attempt to retain it's existing members/quote]

True, but she shouldn't suggest that we should be happy in the current big east because we had success in the old big east, which no longer exists. Her quote is insulting to the fans and alums, plain and simple.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Yeah...based on the one conference championship we had won, and 3 (recent) years of appearing in the NCAA. Not buying it. UConn 2000 was passed in 95.

You seem to be forgetting how the undefeated WBB team captured the state. In 1995.

The minute Rebecca Lobo and Jen Rizzoti showed up at the state house to help lobby for UConn 2000, that thing was passed in the blink of an eye. They were swooning over that team.

Reaction Score
Reading between the lines. I think the admin takes a long hard look at Pasqualoni and Co.

We can still salvage some good from this.

No disrespect , but there is no more reading between the lines. To many prominent Yarders insisted we were next. When whatever changes happen then I'll believe it.

Has any put out a missing persons report for HFD I'm worried about him! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom