Herbst hires Traghese & UConn-Big 12 CR rumors | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Herbst hires Traghese & UConn-Big 12 CR rumors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I mean P5 is cool and the conference is strong in both sports and we get some good recruiting ground (especially if Cinci is the partner).

But do we really want to be dealing with Big 12 fans?

After seeing the dedication of TCU fans and Cheer Squad in that monsoon against Baylor I'd have to say...

tcu-rain6.jpg

Heck Yeah!!!

Reaction Score
After seeing the dedication of TCU fans and Cheer Squad in that monsoon against Baylor I'd have to say...

tcu-rain6.jpg

Heck Yeah!!!

they'd be coming to The Rent and XL???? HELLZ YEAH

Reaction Score
J SM1970, why are you wasting time in this thread talking about his alleged deficiencies that he had as big east commissioner unless you're trying to tie in those deficiencies into his current role as voice for UConn?
Seems like you are wasting space in his thread.

Agree. It's a miracle that we heard this tidbit of what UConn is doing to try to get into a P5 conference.

Reaction Score
It's gonna suck when the Big 12 gets what they need at that conference and decide they don't need to expand after all.

Reaction Score
No, I'm saying he's the CEO and should present a plan to the college presidents (the board) and they ratify the plan. If he presented a plan to split off the teams and form an all sports conference with the football teams and basketball centric one with other schools and it was rejected then he did what he could in a sense.

Did he do this? Was there a plan? I do not know the answer but I think no. Thus, the league imploded on his watch.

His job is to maximize the value of the league and its assets. That could be a restructuring too.

HE COULDN'T CHANGE IT.

Are you being purposefully obtuse on this? He works for the member schools, not for the conference as a separate entity. Conference commissioners can negotiate TV deals and sell the conference to prospective members, but he cannot act without the approval of the schools that constitute the existing conference membership - which you seem to refuse to acknowledge included 7 non-football playing Catholic schools.

Also, the CEO of UTC did not unilaterally decide to divest from Sikorsky. That took a board vote.

I truly hope you are not in a position where you manage people daily.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Tranghese considered division 1A college football to be a necessary evil to maintain the existence of the Big East basketball conference. If he could have done it without football, he would have. In his entire time leading the conference he dud the minimum necessary to maintain football. No more, no less.

Doesn't mean he doesn't bring value to navigating UCONN's future with knowledge, experience and personal contacts, but I'd still need to restrain myself from taking him out at thr knees in person.

Reaction Score
My favorite Marinatto quote was one he offered in an interview with ESPN, just before our beloved BE was gutted for the final time, where he shared apropos of nothing, that Jim Delaney is always telling him that he needs to be thinking more strategically. Has there ever been someone more overmatched for their job than J Marinatto?

Reaction Score
My favorite Marinatto quote was one he offered in an interview with ESPN, just before our beloved BE was gutted for the final time, where he shared apropos of nothing, that Jim Delaney is always telling him that he needs to be thinking more strategically. Has there ever been someone more overmatched for their job than J Marinatto?
Yeah..the present mayor in New York City..Mr Bill DeBlasio

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
I don't care what happened in the past. If Tranghese can help us get out of the AAC, then he is our guy. Anyone who help is our person.

Reaction Score
Agree and believe he has a vested interest in this and not simply monetarily.

I don't care what happened in the past. If Tranghese can help us get out of the AAC, then he is our guy. Anyone who help is our person.

Reaction Score
I haven't read this whole thing - but here's my 2 cents:

#1. ESPN blew their wad in investing in collegiate sports in the past few years. I mean blew it.
#2. ESPN in recent years has become the driving engine for Walt Disney (although investing in Star Wars - will make a correction)
#3. The Longhorn network and the big 12 conference has turned into a complete money sucker for ESPN.
#4. ESPN has a shiny coin in their back pocket in CT, in the NYC metropolitan and Northeast corridor market - in UCONN.

If there is anything of value in any of this nonsense - it's in whatever you find when you start to follow the money.

THe only thing that matters, is that when handfuls of people get together to vote on subjects like moving the business associations of multibillion dollar organizations and establishments like state universities - that UCONN has people in place that cast votes, that will vote in such way as to put us into an intercollegiate business arrangement that we find ideal.

Votes like that will happen, and will continue to happen, until there is a true national playoff system for the division 1A college football post season. That may not happen, until NBC decides to stop renewing Notre Dame's television contract OR division 1A schools stop choosing to schedule Notre Dame.

cttxus

The CT-TX-US Connection: Historic, Alive and Well
Reaction Score
Have any of you people seen the women of SMU???
Yes, and TCU, and UT, and Baylor. I'm very happily married but I've also been living in TX for over 20 yrs and can attest to the fact that those campuses are swarming with good looking, smart, and overall fine young ladies. BTW, many of them, at least the ones raised in TX and OK, will happily kick your butt if you treat them bad.

Reaction Score
Yes, and TCU, and UT, and Baylor. I'm very happily married but I've also been living in TX for over 20 yrs and can attest to the fact that those campuses are swarming with good looking, smart, and overall fine young ladies. BTW, many of them, at least the ones raised in TX and OK, will happily kick your butt if you treat them bad.
The only sample size I am going by is SMU's band during last year's AAC tournament. It was an eye opener.

Reaction Score
The only sample size I am going by is SMU's band during last year's AAC tournament. It was an eye opener.
They only dare dudes dressed as lobsters though.

Reaction Score
I thought I was the only that remembered this. I remember reading that and thinking "John, that is not a compliment bro".

Reaction Score
Tranghese was an excellent commissioner.

Not surprisingly, some people do not seem to understand what his job was and what he had to work with.

Tranghese was an excellent commissioner?

In the dark days of the Pasqualoni administration and the Bob Diaco season of scrimmages, I sought solace in your warm oven full of chairs for friends

When you mention football again, I might stick you in an oven, alone, and close the door. Proverbially.

Tranghese treated football like a dirty rag that was necessary to maintain to wipe the sweat on the basketball courts. The conference was doomed, when Virginia Tech was begging for full inclusion and denied, and a week later, Notre Dame was included for all sports except football.

Mike Tranghese. His knees are in danger if I'm in the same room with him.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
It's gonna suck when the Big 12 gets what they need at that conference and decide they don't need to expand after all.
Actually I think this could be the best outcome for UConn. It keeps conferences stable for a few more years and gives UConn the time it needs to fully right the ship in football and gain the needed AAU status or whatever the hell we need to make the B1G want us. There is a small part of me hoping that the Big 12 gets what thye want and all of this is for nothing. In the back of my mind I keep telling myself to remember Rule #1 and not get excited. If the Big 12 gets a no vote they will likely pick Cincy and Houston because they're dumb and then we're f-ed even more then where we are now....

Reaction Score
It would be my expectation that most b12 fans will spend time busting the chops of Kansas, kstate and Iowa state fans. I see 3 wins right there and hope to pickup one more, if we are looking at 2017.

Follow your board. Hope Uconn gets in the big12 but come 2017 Uconn will be Ku and Iowa State in that conference when it comes to football. Tcu and wvu were both light years ahead of Uconn is currently in football when they joined and Wvu is still a meh team and it took tcu 3 seasons to get it going. Kstate would beat Uconn this year soundly. Playing this schedule week in and week out is brutal. I laugh that you think differently. Ksu has the 2nd most big12 wins since the conference switched to 10 teams. In summary, don't lump Ksu in their with Iowa state and Kansas. You will be a lot closer to them than you will be to Ksu. Hope you guys get the invite.

Reaction Score
Hope UConn gets in the Big12 but don't lump KSU in there with Iowa State and Kansas. Hope you guys get the invite.
I agree with you. KSU is much more in the mix with Oklahoma St., Baylor and TCU. I'd love to be playing you guys in East Hartford, out there in Manhattan--or even here in Manhattan--lol!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom