Herbst hires Traghese & UConn-Big 12 CR rumors

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
From Mike DiMauro:

http://www.theday.com/sports-columns/20160107/can-we-fix-our-own-mess-first

The Big 12 may be in play for UConn in the future. Athletic department sources said recently that UConn president Susan Herbst has sought counsel from former Big East commissioner Mike Tranghese. Herbst asked him to use his contacts and expertise to see exactly when and where UConn might fit in conference realignment.

Athletic department sources said that UConn may be on the Big 12’s radar because of its presence in New York, to the degree that the UConn-Texas basketball series may continue in the future at Madison Square Garden and UConn-Texas may play football in the future at Yankee Stadium. What is fact and what is fiction is unclear, but there’s no denying that UConn will be in the conversation, if the Big 12 expands.

We’ll know that much after next Friday at the NCAA Convention in San Antonio. If the NCAA/Power 5 uphold the rule that conferences need 12 schools to hold a league championship football game, the Big 12 might expand. UConn will be a candidate.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Good read. Hard to argue with any of it. Sports venues and the state of Connecticut go together like oil and water.

Many asides: is Tranghese connected? Is this akin to hiring a search firm for coaching candidates? Kind of like hiring a guy who can speak candidly through back channels with officials from the B12. And why leak this? Is this an attempt to get attention from somewhere else (ahem, Mr Delany, line 1)?

If the B12 wants a network, they know who to invite.

Reaction Score
And why leak this? Is this an attempt to get attention from somewhere else (ahem, Mr Delany, line 1)?

This.
Makes it look like we are not shopping a potential offer. Except it does. Ath.dept officials make CR references to big games in NY with Texas? Cmon.
I don't like it. I hope they don't piss off the wrong people.

UConn Dan

Reaction Score
My guess is they have used him to relay info to decision makers (including media partners) and get a pulse on if UConn could fit in and add value to a network.

Note: "hired" may be too strong of a term here, especially if he's on the Providence payroll.

Reaction Score
From a 2013 article:

Rutgers was accepted into the Big Ten last fall, with the widespread belief that the conference wanted a foothold in the New York metropolitan area. But while intending no disrespect to Rutgers, Tranghese said: “A lot of people don’t understand what makes New York tick. The two schools with the biggest impact in the New York market have been Syracuse and Connecticut.”

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Many asides: is Tranghese connected?

Seriously?

The rest of his career aside, he's on the college football playoff selection committee until the end of this current term.

He's consulting with Providence on some of their hoop issues, like building a new practice buildings, etc.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Seriously?

The rest of his career aside, he's on the college football playoff selection committee until the end of this current term.

He's consulting with Providence on some of their hoop issues, like building a new practice buildings, etc.

Thanks, I didn't know that. I wasn't sure if he was retired and sipping Country Time lemonade on a squeaky rocker from his porch or if he was still "in the game" somehow.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Is Tranghese being used as a buffer between UConn and the Big 12, so that people can say they that there has been no contact between the conference and UConn, while still allowing an assessment of mutual interest?

DiMauro's core premise is idiotic. The Big 12 doesn't give a hoot about the XL center.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Another one of Tranghese's strengths is TV/Media rights. I'm sure part of his responsibility in this role for UConn is to interact with conferences, demonstrating UConn's value, and also with network execs to sell UConn to them as well.

Reaction Score
He's also the same guy that when many were predicting future all sports super conferences he cobbled together some basketball conference that would later splinter.

When he should of been building an all sports conference he was inviting members like DePaul and Marquette. This guy destroyed the Big East and is the reason UConn is languishing in this league. Maybe he learned from all his failures and can assist.

Another one of Tranghese's strengths is TV/Media rights. I'm sure part of his responsibility in this role for UConn is to interact with conferences, demonstrating UConn's value, and also with network execs to sell UConn to them as well.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
He's also the same guy that when many were predicting future all sports super conferences he cobbled together some basketball conference that would later splinter.

When he should of been building an all sports conference he was inviting members like DePaul and Marquette. This guy destroyed the Big East and is the reason UConn is languishing in this league. Maybe he learned from all his failures and can assist.
He was serving two masters, the Catholic league and the football schools. I'm still convinced Depaul and Marquette were solely to pacify ND.

Reaction Score

For more rehash:
When he should have been impersonating Keneshaw "Mountain" Landis with the B.E. Presidents & instilled his will on the vote of PSU's candidacy, he instead acted like Neville Chamberlain.
When Miami was extended the invite to join the B.E., he didn't have the foresight to also get FSU voted in before the ACC could pluck fruit from the vine.
When Miami & the 1-A football schools first threatened to revolt, he ofered them to the ACC for football only, thus putting "visions of sugarplums" into Swoffard's cranium.
Three mortal sins from which he can never be absolved.
On the other hand, Susan couldn't have selected anyone better when it comes to media relations

Oh, & he never moved the B.E. (now AAC) offices to Manhattan. The B1G now has a satellite office plunked there.

Reaction Score
From Mike DiMauro:

http://www.theday.com/sports-columns/20160107/can-we-fix-our-own-mess-first

The Big 12 may be in play for UConn in the future. Athletic department sources said recently that UConn president Susan Herbst has sought counsel from former Big East commissioner Mike Tranghese. Herbst asked him to use his contacts and expertise to see exactly when and where UConn might fit in conference realignment.

Athletic department sources said that UConn may be on the Big 12’s radar because of its presence in New York, to the degree that the UConn-Texas basketball series may continue in the future at Madison Square Garden and UConn-Texas may play football in the future at Yankee Stadium. What is fact and what is fiction is unclear, but there’s no denying that UConn will be in the conversation, if the Big 12 expands.

We’ll know that much after next Friday at the NCAA Convention in San Antonio. If the NCAA/Power 5 uphold the rule that conferences need 12 schools to hold a league championship football game, the Big 12 might expand. UConn will be a candidate.

a couple of interesting things to note here:
  • We absolutely need to get XL Center right to demonstrate Connecticut gives a crap about our teams. Once again, CT is proving to be the backwater, puritanical, old new england style democracy no one wants to do business with. If the CT politicians this up I guarantee the Big12 will move on. Susan and Malloy and only Susan and Malloy need to take the lead and get this sorted out quietly and immediately.
  • "UConn-Texas may play football in the future at Yankee Stadium." Anybody have a problem with this? Good. I didn't think so.
  • Playing Texas in NYC makes sense and if it gives us a leg up on our competition we need to push this possibility with the caveat that it won't be forever (after we are offered).
  • Hopefully hiring Tranghese actually has some impact. He definitely has contacts. More worried it is nothing more than a CYA in case we don't get picked. Seems late in the game to be making that move.
  • ACC should hopefully be picking up the phone soon with ESPN footing the bill. As we have seen, they don't like when the Big12 encroaches on their turf.

Reaction Score
a couple of interesting things to note here:
  • We absolutely need to get XL Center right to demonstrate Connecticut gives a crap about our teams. Once again, CT is proving to be the backwater, puritanical, old new england style democracy no one wants to do business with. If the CT politicians this up I guarantee the Big12 will move on. Susan and Malloy and only Susan and Malloy need to take the lead and get this sorted out quietly and immediately.
  • "UConn-Texas may play football in the future at Yankee Stadium." Anybody have a problem with this? Good. I didn't think so.
  • Playing Texas in NYC makes sense and if it gives us a leg up on our competition we need to push this possibility with the caveat that it won't be forever (after we are offered).
  • Hopefully hiring Tranghese actually has some impact. He definitely has contacts. More worried it is nothing more than a CYA in case we don't get picked. Seems late in the game to be making that move.
  • ACC should hopefully be picking up the phone soon with ESPN footing the bill. As we have seen, they don't like when the Big12 encroaches on their turf.

It does seem to be late in the game to be bringing Tranghese on board. The implication there is a bit concerning.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
In my opinion, the ACC has the most to lose by us going to the XII or B1G. Enough to get over any feelings of being butthurt from a decade old lawsuit... If they are being rational.

Reaction Score
Mike's article is good...mentioning Tranghese is interesting. IMHO Tranghese's biggest mistake was not taking the BE network that did the games early on..as highlighted in the ESPN 30 for 30 special and developing that. That was the B1GN before there was a B1GN! No one knows Conn's worth in the NYC and ne media market better than Mike. He is very respected around the country by AD's, school President's, Conference Commissioner's and Media people. It's a good choice to open the door to what we actually bring to a conference if they add us. His biggest regret in that piece was not being able to get PSU in as a member. But that's all water under the bridge. I know the baseball stadium project is a mess right now...and it should be..it will be the crowning jewel of Segarra's ineptness as Mayor. The XL renovation (which I was a skeptic from in the beginning for how the project would be done until I read the CRDA minutes) will be run by the CRDA NOT the City. It was interesting to see that the hold-up right now is dealing with Northland..the company of the guy who had big plans (or should I say scams) to bring back the NHL. 1 guy isn't going to derail this project...it seems like it is a go....it just may take some extra time dealing with Northland. But in the end that may be good...it allows them to carefully design the project and let the designer run the project like they originally planned.

Reaction Score
In my opinion, the ACC has the most to lose by us going to the XII or B1G. Enough to get over any feelings of being butthurt from a decade old lawsuit... If they are being rational.
That's what scare me..... the ACC making rational decisions based on long term growth and stability.

Reaction Score

I don't see him at fault for what happened in the old BE... he was trying to keep it together, and it was through his pedigree as Dave Gavitt's chosen one that kept the Conference together (remember Syracuse was gonna bolt when BC did).

He was widely respected as BE commissioner throughout the NCAA during his tenure.. Marriato (sp?) was the one that did us in...

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
A decisive tactical move making this information public and on the record. Whether or not it translates in to a successful strategic move won't be known til papers are signed.

Interesting smoke along with the Thamel info and UConn inking series with Okla in WBB, MBB v Texas at MSG and possible FB with Texas at Yankees stadium.

Lots of smoke. Hopefully when the flame dies down we aren't left standing over a smoldering pile of dung. Again.

UConn Dan

Reaction Score
Late in the game or late for people just finding out? His counsel could have been going on for a bit.
I thought this exactly. DiMauro was recently told, not necessarily that Tranghese was recently brought in to fold.

Reaction Score
Texas can play UCONN at Yankee Stadium, City Field, Coney Island, Yale Bowl, or even Gillette Stadium. Make it so.
Not sure how to resolve the XL Center issue but if UCONN is invited to a P5 conference it is a no-brainer.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
For more rehash:
When he should have been impersonating Keneshaw "Mountain" Landis with the B.E. Presidents & instilled his will on the vote of PSU's candidacy, he instead acted like Neville Chamberlain.
When Miami was extended the invite to join the B.E., he didn't have the foresight to also get FSU voted in before the ACC could pluck fruit from the vine.
When Miami & the 1-A football schools first threatened to revolt, he ofered them to the ACC for football only, thus putting "visions of sugarplums" into Swoffard's cranium.
Three mortal sins from which he can never be absolved.

Although I am not a Tranghese fan, I don't think all of the above statements are fair.

First, Dave Gavitt was the commissioner of the Big East in 1982 when the Big East voted 5-3 on Penn State's membership (needed 6 votes to get in.) The nay votes (reportedly) were Georgetown, Villanova, and St. John's. UConn, BC, Syracuse, Providence, and Seton Hall were (reportedly) the yes votes. Supposedly, Tranghese told Gavitt after the vote that the Big East would regret the outcome in the future.

When Tranghese became Big East Commissioner in 1990, one of his first steps was to create the Big East football conference by inviting Miami as a full member and West Virginia, Virginia Tech, Rutgers, and Temple as football only members. He thought it was the only way to save the Big East was to create a football conference. Penn State accepted their Big 10 invite in 1989 while Gavitt was commissioner.

At the time Miami was invited to the Big East, they were also flirting with other conferences, but decided on the Big East. Hard to say if another conference invite was coming.

Florida State accepted an offer to join the ACC before the Big East offered an invite to Miami. Supposedly, FSU was considering the SEC and ACC at the time and the Big East was never a consideration.

As for the football alliance with the ACC, that seems to be true.

End of the day, the Big East was founded by a bunch of Catholic and private schools of which only 2 played 1A football at the time. It was a basketball conference. The only thing that could have created a still standing Eastern college football conference is if Joe Paterno had been successful in creating a league in the early 1980s.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom