Help me to understand | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Help me to understand

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
That’s cause Jay Wright looks the way he does. Put any suit on Calipari and I still think he looks like a used car salesman. Sean Miller should never wear a suit/dress shirt again.

Also suits on a plane might be the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard of. Let’s make an uncomfortable activity even worse so you look good for people that you won’t talk to and will never see again.
I don't think ADub was suggesting wearing a suit on a plane. Just make an effort to not look like a slob. There really are few things grosser than sitting next to toe fungus for 5 hours.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Maybe if Matt Painter didn’t wear that hideous swoop neck shirt he’d make it out of the first weekend once in a while

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
a couple of things. I wanted all of us to bask in the glow of NCAA national championship #5 for a while before asking a couple of questions.

#1) Was anyone else insulted that coach Dutcher wore a track suit to the championship game? I know KO is a loaded topic here, but I do remember him saying that he packed two suits to the final four. I know I'm older and old fashioned, but, damn, it's the biggest game of the year.

#2) What's with everybody ripping off their shirts? Mussleman looks like a 12 year-old boy. I know I've been with the same man for 50+years but what's up with that?
You’ve never said anything about Geno wearing casual gear

F7CDCEE2-FE23-47D2-9D77-5DEBA1D9032F.jpeg

Reaction Score
The NFL requires coaches to wear team gear. There was a coach for the 49ers before Shanahan that wanted to wear a suit and NFL wouldn’t allow it
Bill Belichick often wears ratty clothes as a form of silent protest for those rules lol

Reaction Score
I don’t agree. I don’t care if coaches wear track suits. Doesn’t bother me. But I was always a fan of guys like Jay Wright looking sharp. I don’t think it makes a lick of difference for coaching acumen obviously, it just harkens to the nostalgia of different era. . Kinda like how people used to care about how they looked getting on an airplane, but now I get sat next to a guy in a tank top, shorts and flip flops. In close quarters I don’t really care to deal with your nasty feet or overgrown jungle stinky pits.

That one made me laugh. When I was a little girl I wore white gloves when we flew.

Reaction Score
Thanks for all the answers. I know that at certain tournaments there is relaxed attire - colorful shirts in the Bahamas and Hawaiian shirts at their tournaments. I just think wearing a suit shows respect for the game. Calhoun wore suits for his three nation championships, as did KO and Dan Hurley.

Reaction Score
I don’t agree. I don’t care if coaches wear track suits. Doesn’t bother me. But I was always a fan of guys like Jay Wright looking sharp. I don’t think it makes a lick of difference for coaching acumen obviously, it just harkens to the nostalgia of different era. . Kinda like how people used to care about how they looked getting on an airplane, but now I get sat next to a guy in a tank top, shorts and flip flops. In close quarters I don’t really care to deal with your nasty feet or overgrown jungle stinky pits.
I can't agree more. I am older male who would never wear shorts or flip flops on a plane and appreciate other men who do the same.

Reaction Score
I actually agree with the Muss point. Thought he came off like a classless azzhat running around shirtless after a round of 32 win. Especially with the other team playing with their coaches health on their mind. Was very happy to send him home next game.
It seems that Muss likes to take his shirt off. I read a quote somewhere from his wife along those lines. Not sure why as he is no Adonis.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Thanks for all the answers. I know that at certain tournaments there is relaxed attire - colorful shirts in the Bahamas and Hawaiian shirts at their tournaments. I just think wearing a suit shows respect for the game. Calhoun wore suits for his three nation championships, as did KO and Dan Hurley.
Sally, as women we hate to be judged by our appearance/hair/makeup/clothes. Why are men held to a different standard?

Clothes don’t show disrespect, actions do. To me, refusing to shake hands after a game is disrespectful, wearing casual clothes is not. And Geno wears sneakers everywhere and I don’t blame him. My feet are shot, too

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Sally, as women we hate to be judged by our appearance/hair/makeup/clothes. Why are men held to a different standard?

Clothes don’t show disrespect, actions do. To me, refusing to shake hands after a game is disrespectful, wearing casual clothes is not. And Geno wears sneakers everywhere and I don’t blame him. My feet are shot, too
Actually, the “sneakers” Geno wears is often a “dress shoe” with a white bottom. That’s the thing now and you see it pretty often among broadcasters. In fact, on at least, one instance, I saw one studio host being mocked for wearing a standard shoe.

Geno does wear athletic gear when he coaches during the season, but he typically looks pretty sharp. Either has a good sense of style or as people who work for him who do.

This may be a generational thing, but I think clothes do you make a statement about how you value the other people with whom you’re interacting. That doesn’t mean and ties are mandatory, but being neat and presentable makes a statement.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
They all wear golf shirts at the Charleston Classic. It looks good honestly. It's a tasteful attire that is fitting for a sporting event.

Reaction Score
I'm with you.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
That's just because they haven't been in there since he's dressed down. This was him in the Final Four game against Arizona

View attachment 87130
The women played in the championship game last year but lost to South Carolina. He wore a sports coat but he’s 68 and an older generation.

I live in Florida. People wear shorts and t shirts everywhere. It’s says nothing about the person except that they’re wisely dressing for the weather.

Reaction Score
People dressing up now just to fly would be totally ridiculous because it's such a miserable experience and you spend way more time in the airport now then you do flying, it's most important to be comfortable. Get comfortable, wear your jeans or your joggers and bring a blanket but always cover your feet and put a shirt on. I feel that way in pretty much every scenario, always cover your feet unless you're at the beach and if you're hellbent on wearing a tank top put a t-shirt on over it when indoors.

As for the OP, Brian Dutcher looks great. So does Jay Wright and Hurley. The comfortable but sharp route makes more sense on a basketball court.

Reaction Score

I guess I'm just old fashioned. When I was teaching in an inner-city school, the building was old and infested with bugs and rodents but I always dressed professionally. To me it showed respect for my position and to my students. I wasn't judging his character, just his wardrobe choice. Maybe the coach didn't want to put more pressure on his players, you know, "it's just another game".

JakeTheDog

Makin’ bacon pancakes
Reaction Score
I can't agree more. I am older male who would never wear shorts or flip flops on a plane and appreciate other men who do the same.

Yeah but as an older male you were able to show up five minutes after boarding, grab a pack of Lucky Strikes and get table service in economy.

Flip-flops is one thing but shorts?

Reaction Score
Ever since covid coaches have worn their practice gear more often as that was what they did in the covid year, with very little to no fans and being distanced from the media. A lot of them haven’t changed their routine.

The Big East actually had a conference call about this a couple of years ago:

Seton Hall’s Willard wants to wear suits, but Jay Wright, Big East coaches are leaning toward casual dress

The 11 Big East coaches recently had a Zoom call that included Big East Commissioner Val Ackerman and associate commissioner Stu Jackson to discuss dress plans.

Jackson, Wright, Providence coach Ed Cooley and UConn’s Dan Hurley all said that the result of the call was that it is a matter of “personal choice” as to what coaches wear beginning next week.

“I hate to say it, we had an hour conference call about two weeks ago about what we were going to wear and I thought it was comical,” Willard said. “We were on a Zoom call, and I was like there’s 11 grown men plus Val plus Stu and we’re all discussing what we’re going to wear.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score

Seton Hall’s Willard wants to wear suits, but Jay Wright, Big East coaches are leaning toward casual dress

The 11 Big East coaches recently had a Zoom call that included Big East Commissioner Val Ackerman and associate commissioner Stu Jackson to discuss dress plans.

Jackson, Wright, Providence coach Ed Cooley and UConn’s Dan Hurley all said that the result of the call was that it is a matter of “personal choice” as to what coaches wear beginning next week.

“I hate to say it, we had an hour conference call about two weeks ago about what we were going to wear and I thought it was comical,” Willard said. “We were on a Zoom call, and I was like there’s 11 grown men plus Val plus Stu and we’re all discussing what we’re going to wear.
Obviously based on the commentary in this thread what someone wears and where something should be worn has significance to many people.

Bottom line is decorum, courtesy and protocol are subjective. People are confusing personal preference and arbitrariness with proper behavior. What may be uncomfortable to someone may be in someone else's comfort zone. Most of us are arguing a point to make others fit in our comfort zone.

My favorite in this thread is the ex dead head who is going all boomer now!

Reaction Score

That's right, I forgot Jay Wright put away the suits a few years back in favor of comfort. He looked like a trekkie in the tournament last year.

Reaction Score
Honestly it’d be better if they took a page out of MLB’s book and wore full uniforms. You wouldn’t want to see 105 year old Larranaga in a jersey and shorts?

The women played in the championship game last year but lost to South Carolina. He wore a sports coat but he’s 68 and an older generation.

I live in Florida. People wear shorts and t shirts everywhere. It’s says nothing about the person except that they’re wisely dressing for the weather.

Of course they do. Nobody dresses up to do errands or go to the stupormarket. If anything, one needs decontamination upon returning home.

Reaction Score
Yeah but as an older male you were able to show up five minutes after boarding, grab a pack of Lucky Strikes and get table service in economy.

Flip-flops is one thing but shorts?
Understand why you would call me out on that. Not a decorum issue but personal space issue. For the record. I smoked Marlboros on the plane with an adequate meal. No cattle calls with all the carryon baggage either. I even had pictures taken with 2 stewardesses in the cockpit after our flight landed. That was mid eighties,

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom