Helmets worse than UConn | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Helmets worse than UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I don't understand what was wrong with your block C Helmets? They had a clean classic look, that would still look good 20 years from now. The gimmicky lids that schools like UMD and others have rolled out over the last few seasons will be about as relevant as Zubaz Pants a decade from now. The C worked, go back to it.

Reaction Score
I don't understand what was wrong with your block C Helmets? They had a clean classic look, that would still look good 20 years from now. The gimmicky lids that schools like UMD and others have rolled out over the last few seasons will be about as relevant as Zubaz Pants a decade from now. The C worked, go back to it.
You have no idea how many of us want it back.

Reaction Score
I've seen worse.
me too...like this:
images

Reaction Score
You guys shouldn't be beating a dead horse like this. It's disruptive to people who don't want to discuss it and can't avoid reading these threads.

Reaction Score

Many do not understand, it was simply change for the sake of change. This which was not needed. The block C and our Huskie mascot of 11 national championships were the only bit of tradition we had at the time in football. I like Warde and I like Suzie but they dropped the ball on this one.

I have spoken to Warde on this matter personally three times and each time his response has softened. At the beginning I don't think he expected the back lash received but he was honest when I asked and told me his feedback was 70 / 30 aginst the change. Last conversation which was at The Uconn Club auction and football staff meet and greet ( 3/1/14 ) he had a " you never know it could change in a year or two" reply.

Maybe a petition signed by alumni and season ticket holders is in order. No offense to the OP but I have not seen a helmet worse than ours. As a caveat I will not be an energy vampire and root for our team no matter what they wear, but I still covet all my garb with a block C or a tougue wagging Jonathan.

Reaction Score
Sorry Woof but I've also had conversations with Warde on these issues. Unlike you, I was enthusiastically in support of the mascot change. My view was that while change takes time for acceptance, the Husky that evolved from the transformation is far superior and, happily for those who feel the same, UConn will not be retreating on that decision.
As for the helmet, it will likely evolve.

Reaction Score
The new Husky is way better than the tongue wagger, which wasn't sleek enough for me. Whether or not he should be all white is another topic, but I'm over it.

There needs to be cohesiveness between uniforms so that the brand is universally recognizable. I'd like to see the helmet get a more classic look while following the current branding campaign using "UCONN". However, somehow incorporating a block C on all of our uniforms, across all sports, would slowly build acceptance of the block C as one of our tell tale trademarks. This would enable the use of the block C helmet with a "UCONN" jersey without compromising continuity. The football specific block C was never a branding problem, the problem was that we didn't stick a block C somewhere on the uniforms of all the other athletes.

So, is it reasonable to fit a "UCONN", a block C and a Husky logo on every uniform? I'm not sure, but I think it is doable. After a few years everyone would be happy with the uniform options we'd have while clearly embracing branding. Further, the prominent use of three logos would help merchandise sales and generate more revenue. Many schools have 3-4 recognizable logos/names. It seems in streamlining things, we are having trouble coming up with a helmet that is anywhere near as nice as what we had. I might add that the block C looks very B1G.

Reaction Score
Truthfully, I had assumed from the very beginning that one of the purposes of a new tougher-looking Husky logo was not just for cohesiveness with all sports, but to be able to incorporate it onto the football uniforms, primarily the helmets (the tongue-wagging logo just wouldn't have worked). They did that, but just did a horrendous job of it.

I'm used to the new logo now & fine with it, but those helmets . . . . . . . ugh.

Reaction Score
take is for whatever you think it's worth, but a little over a decade ago, there was a lot of thought put into all of this as football was upgrading. The uniforms back in the late 90's did have the old tongue wagger on them. The helmets had UCONN on them - like the basketball uniforms had written on them.

Edsall wanted a new identity for the football program. I personally really liked the one year of the interlocking U/C on the helmets. The block C is actually a UCONN symbol that dates back forever. They revived it big time as the symbol of the football program.

Point is - there was a big separation - created purposely - back then between the trademarking/logos of the football program and basketball program, and IMNSHO, there was no way - right up until very recently - when people at UCONN really found out that football drives the bus the hard way - that the basketball programs were going to adopt the football program trademarking.

Warde and Suzie changed all of it, by going to a completely new look. I like it. The football helmet though? Out.

Reaction Score
Sorry Woof but I've also had conversations with Warde on these issues. Unlike you, I was enthusiastically in support of the mascot change. My view was that while change takes time for acceptance, the Husky that evolved from the transformation is far superior and, happily for those who feel the same, UConn will not be retreating on that decision.
As for the helmet, it will likely evolve.
The old logo began looking tired, sloppy and out of shape, it needed to be retired, on a bronchial inhaler and cuddled. I loved it but its time for something a bit more alert and fierce. Also hopeful for an accelerated evolution of the helmet design.

Reaction Score
I have to say I get a big chuckle when people say the old husky logo was too soft and cuddly while its replacement is some fierce beast. Have you looked at the thing? It is cartoonish, yet lacks the "playfulness" of a cartoon figure. And to me appears to be smiling and drooling. The face forward alignment doesn't work. It is very difficult to make that work on any logo and anyone who does design work will tell you that. It is why you almost never see it and when you do, it is usually awkward. Picture Donald on the side of a helmet. Doesn't work well. Virtually every athletic logo is in profile to avoid that problem. Ours looks awkward on virtually every uniform where it appears. It might work as an alternate, but as the main logo it is not very good. As to the eyeball helmets, I think they demonstrate the awkwardness oftrying to incorporate donald into a helmet logo. would not look right on the side so they tried to do some weird eyeball thing and came up with an epic fail that looks worse on tv than it does in photos.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
The rebranding was terrific except for the helmets. The blue husky should have been better executed and white, but that's a matter of taste

We are using the same font as the Block C, so it's technically within the boundaries of the new brand and could be pulled back quite easily.

FWIW, I never liked the interlocking UC. That could be anyone, and it's not us. We're UCONN, also two syllables, or Connecticut.

Reaction Score
The rebranding was terrific except for the helmets. The blue husky should have been better executed and white, but that's a matter of taste

We are using the same font as the Block C, so it's technically within the boundaries of the new brand and could be pulled back quite easily.

FWIW, I never liked the interlocking UC. That could be anyone, and it's not us. We're UCONN, also two syllables, or Connecticut.
By the way subba, I like your logo! that would look really cool if say MIT were the Huskies.

Reaction Score
Just to get back to the alignment issue a bit more, you would be hard pressed to find a "forward facing" logo like Donald on any football helmet. That alignment has only been used a couple of times in the NFL, who one might say knows at least a bit about marketing. Pat the Patriot was sort of that, but was slightly off line. The Tampa Bay Bucks logo was again sort of face forward. then there is Oakland. 2 of the 3 have since been replaced. Oakland is a bit different in that their logo is more of a patch. the other thing to note is all were "people" not animals. I couldn't find any but LSU's tiger and the Texas longhorn in the major college ranks. And again, LSU is small and on another "patch" and in any case is the secondary logo on the helmet. The Texas Longhorn is forward facing but it a stylized solid form, not a cow face. The reason nobody does this is that it doesn't work. And I think it is obvious when you look at Donald that its very awkward.

Reaction Score
Even if it were a side profile logo, people would still complain it looks too bush league and not collegiate enough ( no simple block "C" or UCONN letters). I thought the basic concept I made a few months ago was solid enough: the word UCONN and the eyes portion of the logo cropped above the lettering. Kinda similar to LSU's helmet concept - they have a tiger head in a circle that is practically indistinguishable unless you look closely, and arched LSU lettering beneath it. Would look strange as a new concept, but a long tradition of success with them and everyone accepts them.

Reaction Score
Maybe I'm jaded. Sadly, I may be one of the few that loved the block "C"
... Nonetheless, I thinkt our uniform and helmet was clean, traditional, and unique... and consequently, find the replacement far too frenetic to voluntarily adopt...

Reaction Score
Maybe I'm jaded. Sadly, I may be one of the few that loved the block "C"
... Nonetheless, I thinkt our uniform and helmet was clean, traditional, and unique... and consequently, find the replacement far too frenetic to voluntarily adopt...
Seriously? You may be one of the few? Have you not been around this board for the months of boohooing that have so far followed the change?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom