OT: Heat vs Cold

Cold vs Hot

• 100+

Votes: 36 50.0%
  • Below 20

Votes: 36 50.0%

• Total voters
Reaction Score
I was at San Diego from Aug-Oct 1993 right before it closed.

Temps ranged from 75-80 every day with night time lows between 60-70. Rained a total of 10 minutes. We slept on top of our sheets on our racks with Windows open.
I know... I lived there from Aug75-Jul79. First year was 360 sunny days, 4 days of light mist, 1 day of rain. Thought I was in heaven. Except for that earthquake the first week.

Reaction Score
It does absolutely suck to be overheated in the city. I’ve lived there and done it. However, it isn’t all summer. The heat in the south is constant and everyday all summer qualifies as a “dangerous heat wave” by northern standards. Everyday, for 4-5 months, with no breaks whatsoever.

Reaction Score
...there is also a reason most of the dumb people move to Florida. "Right thinking?" :)

I'm not talking about moving, I'm talking about "wintering". How many people go north for the winter? There's a reason for that. It's that winter sucks.

Reaction Score
Cold. I absolutely hate hot weather. Mom's Canadian, so the heat aversion runs deep with me. Give me 55 and rainy and it's ideal weather.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Heat.

There's nothing I like about the cold.

It was pretty freaking hot today, but I could still go outside and sit on the deck at the end of the day.

There's no sitting on the deck when it's cold.

This is my answer as well. Plus, my experience is that you adapt to the heat and your body adjusts. I adapt to the cold as well, it's why damp late November days seem so cold, but by January the same day feels warm. And those first high 40's days in April you golf in shorts.

But fortunately there is nowhere people really live that is just one extreme or the other. I like Cape Cod weather, not too hot rarely too cold.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
If you want to see extremes in a short period, I was in Denver in early April. It was 85 the day we got there and a blizzard the day we left 5 days later.

I drove through Arizona. About 78 degrees, drove up through Flagstaff, snowing like crazy, drove down, back to 78 degrees. Took about 30-40 minutes total.

Reaction Score
I drove through Arizona. About 78 degrees, drove up through Flagstaff, snowing like crazy, drove down, back to 78 degrees. Took about 30-40 minutes total.

Had a similar experience in the 90s. Went from the desert to Flagstaff into a blizzard and some of the biggest hail I've ever seen. I was young and clueless at the time and though it never snowed anywhere in Arizona.

Reaction Score
I moved to south Florida 20+ years ago for job reasons . . . there weren't any jobs in CT. I miss my family, friends, autumn foliage and going to every UConn home game, but not much else (especially a state income tax).

I have just a 5 min walk to the beach so I get a sea breeze most days. I never tire of looking at the bright blue ocean and swaying palms. If I ever leave SoFla, it will be because it's gotten noisy and crowded over the last two decades, not because of the weather.

Reaction Score
My in-laws recently moved to Fountain Hills, Arizona. First visited in July '18 and the 115 degree weather was awful in the day, but tolerable from 7 PM-9 AM. The same trip, we drove up to Flagstaff to go to the Grand Canyon and hung out in the town for three days, and I was shocked how moderate the weather is there. 80 and dry, absolutely gorgeous.

After that visit, we politely told my in-laws that we are only visiting in the winter unless for emergencies. Over last Christmas break, I quickly learned that spending 10 days in the Phoenix area in late December/Early January is a great respite from the darkness of CT and it helped me tolerate winter better once we arrived back.

My niece is entering her junior year of high school and is starting to get D1 schools pursuing her for soccer. She wants to play out east, but if she stays local, Northern Arizona would be her top choice and it would be so much fun visiting her out in Flagstaff and possibly get some winter snowboarding done out there too. So far, Flagstaff is my favorite town I've visited in Arizona, but I'm excited to see Tucson for the first time in December.

Reaction Score
Some context first:

Caramoor in Katonah, NY is one of my favorite music venues. It's a gorgeous old property a rich white guy owned and now its grounds host concerts throughout the year. Its June Roots festival and their July Jazz festival are annual treks for me and I've seen about a dozen other shows there too.

This year, their Roots festival was amazing: beautiful weather in the mid 70s, plenty of shade, had a grand time. Today, I have tickets to the Jazz festival with my wife and a few friends.

However, I'm a complete crotchety baby when it comes to heat. It's forecasted to be upper 90s, humid, it sucks, I pretty much don't want to go anymore, I'm that bad.

Contrapositively, I can deal with the cold. For example, my only visit to Chicago was in February, it was 6 degrees, I had no problem and had a great trip. I even find very cold days calming and relaxing. You can always put on more layers to stay warm.

If you had a choice, would you rather live every day for the rest of your life in extreme cold (like single digits) or extreme humid heat (100+)?

That's a tough call, but I think Robert Frost said it best.......

"Some say the world will end in fire"
"some say in ice"
"from what I've tasted of desire"
"I hold with those who favor fire"
"but ice is also nice, and would suffice"

Reaction Score

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
My in-laws recently moved to Fountain Hills, Arizona. First visited in July '18 and the 115 degree weather was awful in the day, but tolerable from 7 PM-9 AM. The same trip, we drove up to Flagstaff to go to the Grand Canyon and hung out in the town for three days, and I was shocked how moderate the weather is there. 80 and dry, absolutely gorgeous.

After that visit, we politely told my in-laws that we are only visiting in the winter unless for emergencies. Over last Christmas break, I quickly learned that spending 10 days in the Phoenix area in late December/Early January is a great respite from the darkness of CT and it helped me tolerate winter better once we arrived back.

My niece is entering her junior year of high school and is starting to get D1 schools pursuing her for soccer. She wants to play out east, but if she stays local, Northern Arizona would be her top choice and it would be so much fun visiting her out in Flagstaff and possibly get some winter snowboarding done out there too. So far, Flagstaff is my favorite town I've visited in Arizona, but I'm excited to see Tucson for the first time in December.

My in-laws live in Phoenix. Four or five years ago we went there for Christmas and went up to Flagstaff to see some Christmas displays. Spent a night there. Temps were about 15 degrees and plenty of snow

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom