Heads up on Lou's knee | The Boneyard

Heads up on Lou's knee

Reaction Score
Lou has some "support" now on her right knee she aggravated in the last game. Her wonderful smile tells me she is good to go. She is a tough basketball player!

Makes you wonder why Azzi has never even worn a knee brace while playing - especially with her history of knee problems.......you see a fair number of women wearing and playing full throttle with them even tho they look to be "cumbersome"

Reaction Score
Lou is a baller. Athletes mantra of "playing hurt vs. playing injured". Azzi should be wearing a Forrest Gump knee/leg brace. He seemed to run with it OK. I wonder why all female athletes in contact sports are not advised or required to wear one, like the O-linemen in football, given the prevalence of knee injuries for women.

Reaction Score
Nika and Lou are in a special category by themselves. They have a mission and they will not be deterred by any physical action that has the potential to limit their performance. They are on the court and they will do anything and everything to accomplish their mission. No matter the cost. It is interesting to note that these two are Europeans brought up in a different culture than the US. I just realized this while writing this post.

Reaction Score
They, and by they I mean the 5 starters, know as well as we do that if any of them get injured that there is no real replacement.

Given a bench of Patterson, Ines and Deberry, if we had to lose one starter for a couple of games, which would be least damaging to the chances UConn would still be able to win? Hum....AE? No. Dorka? No. Aubrey? No. Lou? No. Nika? No. I quess if I had to choose I'd go with Nika being replaced by Ines, although I wouldn't have much hope that that would work out.

Reaction Score
They, and by they I mean the 5 starters, know as well as we do that if any of them get injured that there is no real replacement.

Given a bench of Patterson, Ines and Deberry, if we had to lose one starter for a couple of games, which would be least damaging to the chances UConn would still be able to win? Hum....AE? No. Dorka? No. Aubrey? No. Lou? No. Nika? No. I quess if I had to choose I'd go with Nika being replaced by Ines, although I wouldn't have much hope that that would work out.
Good point.

Reaction Score

I thought for a second the season might essentially be over when Muhl went down last night. I think they could possibly survive anyone else being hurt, but not Muhl.

Reaction Score
I thought for a second the season might essentially be over when Muhl went down last night. I think they could possibly survive anyone else being hurt, but not Muhl.
How soon they forget. Nika wasn't NIKA until she learned Uconn. Ines is learning Uconn. She's intelligent, tougher than her light frame may suggest. When IF she is needed, when she is IT, no back up. My money is on Ines. It too is on Patterson and DeBerry, especially DeBerry. You see these 3 developing before your eyes.
Our military is full of KIDS. KIDS do what they must do. It has happened often for UConn. Tina wasn't Tina until she was IT. Steff was thrown at Griner and she did what she had to do. Have faith, the kids will take care of the rest.
Uconn doesn't have to be perfect, all they must do is be better than the other team on THAT day..

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score

Reaction Score
Good point.
Nika is the one you couldn't play without. She is the leader and without her this team would struggle mightily. It really depends on who Geno would put in as the next starter without a clear winner. I think Deberry in a full game would give you points, rebounds, blocks and turnovers. Patterson would give you a defender, rebounder but not too many points.

UCONN just needs to add to their player pool not subtract at this point. I might play the last few games playing 7 just to get the people on the bench some quality time, and the starters a chance to get some rest before the tournament.

Reaction Score
Nika and Lou are in a special category by themselves. They have a mission and they will not be deterred by any physical action that has the potential to limit their performance. They are on the court and they will do anything and everything to accomplish their mission. No matter the cost.
@veryolddog I take it you think these gals would make good Marines. ;)
I sincerely thank you for your service and understand what you see in both of the players you speak of. I would add Aaliyah to that category myself. :D

Brewski

To infinity and beyond!
Reaction Score
Lou has been beat up and beat up and beat up and she just keeps on Ticking.

Nika is stronger than whiskey and tougher than nails. When she hurt her ankle at a critical point in the game yesterday, she walked off the court, sat down, took her shoe off, cinched up that thick ankle brace and went right back into the fray. She's a AAA badass toughie!

Simply put, I think all five of our starters AND our available bench players are toughing it out the best they can.

Reaction Score
Lou has been beat up and beat up and beat up and she just keeps on Ticking.

Nika is stronger than whiskey and tougher than nails. When she hurt her ankle at a critical point in the game yesterday, she walked off the court, sat down, took her shoe off, cinched up that thick ankle brace and went right back into the fray. She's a AAA badass toughie!

Simply put, I think all five of our starters AND our available bench players are toughing it out the best they can.
That ankle brace might have saved Nika from a few weeks off! She twisted it pretty good - almost 90-degrees.

Reaction Score
We just need one of Caroline or Azzi, preferably both, as soon as possible. One other scorer besides Lou (and Aubrey to some extent) who will prevent defense from swarming on Lou, and who will give some minutes of rest to another starter. It isn't anyone's fault but I am a basket-case hearing Caroline is close etc. etc but not able to get in the game yet. I'm not blaming her, we all know concussions are serious and impossible to know when someone can play again- but I want her to play so badly. Same with Azzi! Sorry fans but I am just so frustrated! One day they are almost ready, then the next day we should get used to this for a while. Arggh!

mudblood

Incorrigible optimist
Reaction Score
We just need one of Caroline or Azzi, preferably both, as soon as possible. One other scorer besides Lou (and Aubrey to some extent) who will prevent defense from swarming on Lou, and who will give some minutes of rest to another starter. It isn't anyone's fault but I am a basket-case hearing Caroline is close etc. etc but not able to get in the game yet. I'm not blaming her, we all know concussions are serious and impossible to know when someone can play again- but I want her to play so badly. Same with Azzi! Sorry fans but I am just so frustrated! One day they are almost ready, then the next day we should get used to this for a while. Arggh!
Well, at least Caroline was for the first time in uniform (not with the grey sweats) and participated in the pregame warmups…

Reaction Score
Lou has some "support" now on her right knee she aggravated in the last game. Her wonderful smile tells me she is good to go. She is a tough basketball player!

That's a very large tarantula spider!

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Geno had to play Ines against Georgetown. I thought she played well seeing how she plays very little, yet she had to go in at a very important time in the game. She and DeBerry may be the only bench players available the rest of the season, besides Patterson. It would help them to play more in the remaining games, blowout or not. That was a lot of pressure on Ines to perform and not hurt the team and she did well. If they don't play more, the starters may never recover. When the starters are too tired to play well, why not play your bench players until the starters have rested? JMO. The pressure on the bench to play well must be really high.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Question, can Caroline play with the ear plugs in her ears? We don't know how much noise is actually muted by the plugs she is wearing now, and if they allow enough noise to come through for her to hear enough from her teammates, she may be able to play with them in. I know I am reaching here, but, what the hell. Desperation leads to some weird thoughts. Maybe there is a rule about that, but as I said, who knows.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom