Heads-up: ESPN2 Kentucky at Baylor tonight | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Heads-up: ESPN2 Kentucky at Baylor tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Well I must say, Kentucky looked really bad. Even when Griner wasn't in there.

Reaction Score
This was predictable. After Baylor and Uconn, the field is pretty weak this year. Kentucky was woefully inconsistent last season. Their best moment was playing an immature Uconn team tight for a half.[/quote

Hi ALEX: wow, hope you are right about the rest of the field. Though I'm no student of the other teams, I always have the feeling that several of them are quite formidable. And next year and beyond as well. Always up for reassurance:)

Reaction Score
Haven't been and will not be watching....what has Walker been showing, pro and con?

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Haven't been and will not be watching....what has Walker been showing, pro and con?

I didn't see much from Samarie, and I'm not one of her 'detractors' here on the BY (for lack of a better word). IMO she hasn't improved much on the offensive end. She did look quicker and more assertive than in the past. On the defensive end, against the now upperclassman Griner, she was not able to emulate her success from 2 yrs ago. Griner is much changed. Samarie, to my eye, not so much.

Some posters mentioned she was doing a good/decent job on Griner early. I didn't pick up the action until about 6 or 7 minutes into the game.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Thank goodness that game is over. Kentucky played out of control, undisiplined, no defense, no team ball, and looked like a bunch of kids playing street ball with all the turnovers, missed passes, and just some crazy plays. This team needs alot of work.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Thank goodness that game is over. Kentucky played out of control, undisiplined, no defense, no team ball, and looked like a bunch of kids playing street ball with all the turnovers, missed passes, and just some crazy plays. This team needs alot of work.

Yes Samarie was only effective pushing Griner around for the first few minutes. Then Griner started getting inside and the show was over for Samarie. Also she looked horrible from the perimeter. Maybe an off game but I don't recall her having a big rep from outside anyway.
Besides the lack of offense from KY they had WAY too many turnovers (Some unforced). That "40 minutes of terror" defense or whatever Mitchell calls it could use a good 20 minutes of running offense in each game too! :p

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I'm just wondering if the 4 UConn bigs in platoons of 2 and even 3 at a time can bother Griner enough so that the rest of the UConn team can dominate. I imagine that's the theory. Griner made some wonderful moves in the 2nd half that i caught. But she simply is not being challenged by the opposition yet.

Reaction Score
I told a friend before the game Baylor would kill KY. KY doesn't have the size, and Baylor has guards with speed to break the press not to mention a tall player that allows you to go over the top. KY did the same thing tonight they did against Uconn. They play defense with their hands not feet which allows the other team to drive though you and get fouled. Constant reaching in for steals means picking up a lot of fouls. With all the bumping and hand checking it seemed I turned on a WCBB game and a hockey game broke out. When you play GOOD defense you trap with your feet to force the player to pick up the dribble then you can either grab the ball when they are looking to pass, or have your team pick of the pass by cutting off the passing lanes. They have some great athletes so they can chase you ever where, but very undisciplined. Along with seemed like poor foul shooting KY did not look good. Baylor which may have been the reason KY did not look good and will make many others look bad as well, was impressive. They showed depth and discipline as they picked KY apart. Even their bench was dominant. Stanford is next. They have size, but not the quickness, but at least they will be be in control and not as all over the place. In the end I expect the same result hopefully a lot closer.

Reaction Score
W
I'm just wondering if the 4 UConn bigs in platoons of 2 and even 3 at a time can bother Griner enough so that the rest of the UConn team can dominate. I imagine that's the theory. Griner made some wonderful moves in the 2nd half that i caught. But she simply is not being challenged by the opposition yet.
When Uconn men beat Duke in 99 they doubled down on Elton Brand with another big, not a guard (make the power forward, not the 2 guard beat you) If Stewart can be a 3 Geno can go very big. You have to prevent her from driving because she just gets the calls. We will have to shoot well (so will everyone) outside to win.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
I am starting to NOT be a fan of Sims!

She is gifted PG but she carries an "attitude" to me....but maybe what I am seeing on the television. I noticed this last year. Anyone else see it or am I crazy?

Sims definitely has an attitude and made several plays where she either tried to physically intimidate the opponent when she thought the refs wouldn't see or she suckered the refs into calling a foul with an offensive flop move. Does not display good sportsmanship to say the least!

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
We will need Bria at full strength--able to go 25+ minutes if needed--in order to beat Baylor, unless Moriah keeps on improving at a really high rate. (She is doing as well as anyone could have expected thus far.) Even then, Sims' strength, experience and moxie would prove difficult for her.

Without Bria I think Sims would be too disruptive for our perimeter players, as a group, to handle. Sims is one tough cookie. Hopefully Bria's recovery goes smoothly and she is good to go in the near future. And at that point, easing her back slowly would probably still be a good idea.....

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Ok, any chance that Linnae Harper will decide that Kentucky cannot win an NCAA title? :)

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Sims definitely has an attitude and made several plays where she either tried to physically intimidate the opponent when she thought the refs wouldn't see or she suckered the refs into calling a foul with an offensive flop move. Does not display good sportsmanship to say the least!

Sure am glad she plays for Baylor. This girl doesn't get pushed around and will get in your grill if you try. My only problem with her game tonight was the number of TOs. As far as the fiestiness, it's part of makes her the toughest guard in the game. I love her!

Reaction Score
Ok, any chance that Linnae Harper will decide that Kentucky cannot win an NCAA title? :)
You give high schoolers too much credit.

I'm convinced most of the "top ranked" prospects wear 3 pairs of rose-colored glasses. At the same time.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
When Uconn men beat Duke in 99 they doubled down on Elton Brand with another big, not a guard (make the power forward, not the 2 guard beat you) If Stewart can be a 3 Geno can go very big. You have to prevent her from driving because she just gets the calls. We will have to shoot well (so will everyone) outside to win.
This is exactly the approach I expect to be used this year with the additional quality posts we have available and for the reasons stated.

Reaction Score
Sure am glad she plays for Baylor. This girl doesn't get pushed around and will get in your grill if you try. My only problem with her game tonight was the number of TOs. As far as the fiestiness, it's part of makes her the toughest guard in the game. I love her!
Can't disagree with this assessment. She's someone to be feared and respected.

After seeing this game, I'm encouraged. I think Uconn has a great shot at beating Baylor.

Accomplishing that task will primarily require controlling Sims & Griner (Aren't I an astute analyst?)

Uconn has the personnel capable of keeping Sims under reasonable control. A team approach will be required. Assuming Bria is not available, Mo & Brianna have the speed and Kelly has the strength to cope with Sims. Stuart may be able to block those miraculous dipsy-doodle drives she accomplishes so often. She is frustratable, and perhaps constant pressure from fresh players will take it's toll. Hopefully, that frustration will cause her feistiness to get out of hand. It's all we can hope for with Sims.

I also think we have the tools keep Griner's performance to mere mortal proportions. Stuart, Dolson, Buck, Stokes will provide plenty of fouls to give. I also believe there will be enough pressure that Griner might have to foul more than usual to stop Uconn. I'm counting on Geno to devise the plan we know he's capable of.

The remaining starters aren't exactly chopped liver but I think KML, Tuck, Doty & Faris can keep them from stepping up. I was also encouraged by the lack of quality play by Baylor's bench. That's a battle we definitely win. Lets just say I doubt if Robertson will get many minutes.

I believe Stuart is a better player than Griner was at the same stage in her career. Unfortunately, Griner has improved over the years, particularly this year and is no longer a Freshman. The Baylor games should be a great ones.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Uconn has the personnel capable of keeping Sims under reasonable control. A team approach will be required. Assuming Bria is not available, Mo & Brianna have the speed and Kelly has the strength to cope with Sims.

Not sure why you would assume Hartley would not be available in February. She is said to be coming back for the VI games.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Not sure why you would assume Hartley would not be available in February. She is said to be coming back for the VI games.
There have been a couple on here who think Hartley will/should red-shirt this year. :confused: I really don't know what some people are thinking???? Go figure.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I was impressed with Destiny Williams last night. Solid game.

She is similar to Tuck only without the 3 pointer.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Can't disagree with this assessment. She's someone to be feared and respected.

After seeing this game, I'm encouraged. I think Uconn has a great shot at beating Baylor.

Accomplishing that task will primarily require controlling Sims & Griner (Aren't I an astute analyst?)

Uconn has the personnel capable of keeping Sims under reasonable control. A team approach will be required. Assuming Bria is not available, Mo & Brianna have the speed and Kelly has the strength to cope with Sims. Stuart may be able to block those miraculous dipsy-doodle drives she accomplishes so often. She is frustratable, and perhaps constant pressure from fresh players will take it's toll. Hopefully, that frustration will cause her feistiness to get out of hand. It's all we can hope for with Sims.

I also think we have the tools keep Griner's performance to mere mortal proportions. Stuart, Dolson, Buck, Stokes will provide plenty of fouls to give. I also believe there will be enough pressure that Griner might have to foul more than usual to stop Uconn. I'm counting on Geno to devise the plan we know he's capable of.

The remaining starters aren't exactly chopped liver but I think KML, Tuck, Doty & Faris can keep them from stepping up. I was also encouraged by the lack of quality play by Baylor's bench. That's a battle we definitely win. Lets just say I doubt if Robertson will get many minutes.

I believe Stuart is a better player than Griner was at the same stage in her career. Unfortunately, Griner has improved over the years, particularly this year and is no longer a Freshman. The Baylor games should be a great ones.

It's almost as if Williams and Pope are being forgotten. Both are playing some incredible ball this year and can drop big numbers. Pope is actually playing up to her lofty HS ranking. Now that Pope is not an offensive liability she will be on the floor a lot more, bringing great defense and rebounding. If Prince is healthy she is going to add something special to the guard rotation. Johnson entered the game very early in the UK game and will probably be ready to give Sims a little relief.

Obviously UK was not up to the challenge. I doubt that Stanford will offer much more resistance. We truly won't be able to judge how these two teams match up until February.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I was impressed with Destiny Williams last night. Solid game.

She is similar to Tuck only without the 3 pointer.

She was very solid. Incredibly efficient and cleaned up on the boards. I'm looking forward to seeing Tuck take on TAMU, which is a very young team. I expect them to look a bit ragged. However, TAMU typically has very good guard play and they do have some good bigs that always played BG very tough.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
It's almost as if Williams and Pope are being forgotten. Both are playing some incredible ball this year and can drop big numbers. Pope is actually playing up to her lofty HS ranking. Now that Pope is not an offensive liability she will be on the floor a lot more, bringing great defense and rebounding. If Prince is healthy she is going to add something special to the guard rotation. Johnson entered the game very early in the UK game and will probably be ready to give Sims a little relief.

Obviously UK was not up to the challenge. I doubt that Stanford will offer much more resistance. We truly won't be able to judge how these two teams match up until February.

Hey...I mentioned Williams!!!

Pope? Still question about her in my mind. Otherwise she would get 20+ minutes in the rotation. Maybe that will change as the season progresses.

The interesting thing will be how Baylor handles Stanford's 6'3", 6'3" and 6'3" diverse front line.

If UConn plays Dolson, Stewart and Tuck at 6'5", 6'4" and 6'2", Stanford might show some weakness that UConn can exploit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom