HE Tourney Opening Round: UConn @ Northeastern -- 3/3 @ 7P & 3/5 @ 7p | Page 5 | The Boneyard

HE Tourney Opening Round: UConn @ Northeastern -- 3/3 @ 7P & 3/5 @ 7p

Reaction Score
He thinks Huska is better and by all accounts Huska played pretty well last night. When your back is to the wall a coach goes with the guy he has the most confidence in.

I hear ya, but legit question, has huska ever started back to back during regular season?
Huska did alright last night, but it's kinda sketchy to try him back to back for the 1st time during a tough road playoff series.

I believe Tage and letunov will be back.

Reaction Score
FWIW Thompson was only 20th in points in conference games and was outside the top 10 in goals.
I have a feeling STL will ask him to work on stuff and show them he can start to take over the league.. which I think he can if he keeps working and getting stronger.

Reaction Score
Barring an injury to Huska next year the only loss we really would feel is richardson of our theee seniors.
Everyone else will hopefully be back and then throw in the recruits and hopefully u find a diamond in be rough.
Has a chance to be a real nice season.
And get a new S&C coach as some if u suggested

Reaction Score
I don't think Thompson is ready yet...he will get eaten alive in the AHL right now..he isn't strong enough to play there yet. After next season..that's a different ball game.

IMO Tage Thompson's biggest weakness is his skating. He gets knocked off the puck real easily. Also, he is not an overly fast skater. Tage would really struggle with the speed of the AHL, never mind the NHL.

Reaction Score
It will be interesting to see what the roster looks like next year...The Sr class will have 5 forwards (OJ, Naas, Ronan, Schwartz, Wight) ; 3 defensemen (Drake, Pratt, Austin); and 2 Goalies (Creel, Thulin). Payusov only played in 15 games and looked like a lost kid the games I saw him play. He should have been redshirted or left in juniors for the season to get bigger/stronger..there is no way he is 5-11/180.

Reaction Score
IMO Tage Thompson's biggest weakness is his skating. He gets knocked off the puck real easily. Also, he is not an overly fast skater. Tage would really struggle with the speed of the AHL, never mind the NHL.
He definitely improved his skating from last year..it showed in how he played in the WJCC. He needs more work though that's for sure.

Reaction Score
Another year, same result. When can we stop blaming it on youth.

It's time to lay off the kids. Bottom line our staff needs a little shake up. Consensus is that Cav stays - OK, but do something with the staff.
Other than the glimpse of hope provided by the NH weekend, 2017 was a bust. 3-10-2!! Team could have been more competitive with the talent they had and they simply weren't. Lack of consistency and discipline were evident this year. Cav needs a task master on the bench who can fire the kids up. Let's at least try it - it can't hurt!

Reaction Score
From St. Louis Blues' reporter:

Mac if I'm Tage and I sign...I bee line it to Ben Prentiss's gym in Darien as soon as the season ends and get at it! That is going to be a MUST!

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Despite the title of his article, Jacobs does give UConn credit for getting the program to the point it's at now. They just need to take that next step and if some things fall into place next season should be a fun one to watch.
It's gonna be a process...one that both basketball teams went through and one that Edsall navigated the football team through. With kids committing earlier and earlier now it will take time. If anyone remembers how long it took Calhoun to clean up the mess he inherited from that dope Dom Perno they can understand this.

Reaction Score
It takes time to build a hockey program. It's not done over night. We need on campus facilities to attract recruits. The facilities are being evaluated and discussed, so that is a good sign. UConn hockey is on the right track. We just need to give time for everything to come together.

Reaction Score
It's all about Thompson coming next year.
If he does - despite that guys tweet - Cav has stuck his neck out in how high expectations are: top four in HE and making the NCAA.
I like the fact he's willing to put that type of pressure on the team and that would be an impressive climb for the program if it happens.

Reaction Score
It's gonna be a process...one that both basketball teams went through and one that Edsall navigated the football team through. With kids committing earlier and earlier now it will take time. If anyone remembers how long it took Calhoun to clean up the mess he inherited from that dope Dom Perno they can understand this.

Dom Perno was far from a dope. When you consider facilities, academic support, etc. he actually did a pretty good job. Take a look at some of the teams he beat as a coach with very limited resources and talent.

Reaction Score
Dom Perno was far from a dope. When you consider facilities, academic support, etc. he actually did a pretty good job. Take a look at some of the teams he beat as a coach with very limited resources and talent.
Dom Perno won i his first year or 2 with Dee Rowe's players and kids like Mike McKay, Corny Thompson and Earl Kelly who wanted to stay home...when he needed to step his game up and keep kids like Charles Smith home he failed miserably! I was at his final home game...it was a utter embarrassment! I went to a lot of games when he was here and his tenure was NOT good at all! To say he did a "pretty good job" is flat out ridiculous! He is probably one of the worst coaches in men's basketball history!

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
I'm disappointed as heck that they couldn't get past the first round AND the fact that the team has been wildly inconsistent has driven me up a wall, but for Christ's Sakes they've had full scholarships for two years... They basically had a glorified club team playing Atlantic Hockey.. Of course I've had to hear the same thing for decades.. some of the morons around here wanted to fire Calhoun in '92. Quite frankly we got coaching talent at UConn that we have no business having in guys like Cav, Penders, Reid, Geno, and Ollie... Thank god people around here don't know a goshdarn thing about field hockey otherwise I'm sure we'd hear how Stevens has peaked and we need to start looking around. Of course that's never stopped people from talking about ice hockey or basketball either.

Head bang

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Dom Perno won i his first year or 2 with Dee Rowe's players and kids like Mike McKay, Corny Thompson and Earl Kelly who wanted to stay home...when he needed to step his game up and keep kids like Charles Smith home he failed miserably! I was at his final home game...it was a utter embarrassment! I went to a lot of games when he was here and his tenure was NOT good at all! To say he did a "pretty good job" is flat out ridiculous! He is probably one of the worst coaches in men's basketball history!
I went to all his games at home and tons of NE games and while he wasn't a very good recruiter he was a decent coach
No way near as bad as your over exaggeration portrays
Again, lousy recruiter and before you puff your chest - yeah that is an important aspect but he knows the game and taught tactics well
I know/knew a lot of the guys on those teams, and despite a few bashers due to playing time issues - the guys liked and respected him
Charles Smith was heading to Pitt the minute they offered - wanted to play out of state

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
BTW - Corny and EK would not have stayed in state if they didn't like/respect Perno - especially with their options
Not a great way to prove a point by saying - "who wanted to stay home" - if it wasn't right it would not have happened. DP deserves credit for that

Reaction Score
I went to all his games at home and tons of NE games and while he wasn't a very good recruiter he was a decent coach
No way near as bad as your over exaggeration portrays
Again, lousy recruiter and before you puff your chest - yeah that is an important aspect but he knows the game and taught tactics well
I know/knew a lot of the guys on those teams, and despite a few bashers due to playing time issues - the guys liked and respected him
Charles Smith was heading to Pitt the minute they offered - wanted to play out of state
I'm going to disagree with you on his coaching...he was in WAY over his head coaching in the Big East against Thompson, Carnesseca and Boeheim. Among many games I went to..I vividly remember being at the HCC for his last game against Boeheim and Syracuse...it was not a pretty sight. What Calhoun inherited from him wasn't very pretty either. Perno never coached in college again after being fired at UConn and outside of doing color analyst for the BE Television Network was out of college athletics until 11/1/1997 when GW hired him as a Assoc AD.
Perno's Career Record
77-78 11-15
78-79 21-8 (NCAA 2nd Rnd)
79-80 20-9 (3-3 Conf record 4th place)(NIT 1st Rnd)
80-81 20-9 (8-6 Conf Record Tied for 3rd Place)(NIT 2nd Rnd)
81-82 17-11 (7-7 Conf Record Tied for 5th Place) (NIT 1st Rnd)
82-83 12-16 (5-11 Conf Record 7th Place)
83-84 13-15 (5-11 Conf Record Tied for 7th Place)
84-85 13-15 (6-10 Conf Record 7th Place)
85-86 12-16 (3-13 Conf Record Tied for 8th Place)
Calhoun went 9-19 with Perno's players his first season

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm going to disagree with you on his coaching...he was in WAY over his head coaching in the Big East against Thompson, Carnesseca and Boeheim. Among many games I went to..I vividly remember being at the HCC for his last game against Boeheim and Syracuse...it was not a pretty sight. What Calhoun inherited from him wasn't very pretty either.
Perno's Career Record
77-78 11-15
78-79 21-8 (NCAA)
79-80 20-9 (3-3 Conf record)(NIT)
80-81 20-9 (8-6 Conf Record)(NIT)
81-82 17-11 (7-7 Conf Record) (NIT)
82-83 12-16 (5-11 Conf Record)
83-84 13-15 (5-11 Conf Record)
84-85 13-15 (6-10 Conf Record)
85-86 12-16 (3-13 Conf Record)
Calhoun went 9-19 with Perno's players his first season

A lot of coaches were in over their against Thompson, Carnesseca and Boeheim. Most of them were in over their heads because they didn't have the likes of Patrick Ewing, Chris Mullins or Pearl Washington. Your comment that Dom Perno was one of the worst coaches in D1 history was more than a little over the top. I look forward to your comments about hockey and respect your knowledge of the game but question your knowledge of UConn basketball, based solely on your Perno comments.

Reaction Score
A lot of coaches were in over their against Thompson, Carnesseca and Boeheim. Most of them were in over their heads because they didn't have the likes of Patrick Ewing, Chris Mullins or Pearl Washington. Your comment that Dom Perno was one of the worst coaches in D1 history was more than a little over the top. I look forward to your comments about hockey and respect your knowledge of the game but question your knowledge of UConn basketball, based solely on your Perno comments.
My knowledge of UConn basketball...I started going to games as a kid under Rowe then Perno. Watched the Huskies get their teeth kicked in by the Big East teams year after year. Was lucky enough to get my dad to buy season tickets to HCC for the 81-82, 82-83 and 83-84 seasons. By the time I got to high school I was lucky to get a education in the game of basketball by one of the best HS coaches in eastern CT..a man who went on to coach with Tom Penders at URI. And who had a player who was a McDonald AA spurn Perno and leave CT to go to college. That's where I learned my opinion of Perno. As for my comment..men's basketball = Uconn...I didn't think I had to clarify that on a UConn board.

Reaction Score
My knowledge of UConn basketball...I started going to games as a kid under Rowe then Perno. Watched the Huskies get their teeth kicked in by the Big East teams year after year. Was lucky enough to get my dad to buy season tickets to HCC for the 81-82, 82-83 and 83-84 seasons. By the time I got to high school I was lucky to get a education in the game of basketball by one of the best HS coaches in eastern CT..a man who went on to coach with Tom Penders at URI. And who had a player who was a McDonald AA spurn Perno and leave CT to go to college. That's where I learned my opinion of Perno. As for my comment..men's basketball = Uconn...I didn't think I had to clarify that on a UConn board.

I probably shouldn't have questioned your knowledge of UConn basketball. Should have just kept it to your comment about Perno being one of the worst D1 coaches ever. By the way I also attended the Syracuse game which you described as not very pretty. Syracuse which I believe was ranked in the top 15 at the time only won that game 75-68.

Just curious, who was the McDonald AA from Eastern CT. Was it Harold Pressley?

Reaction Score
I probably shouldn't have questioned your knowledge of UConn basketball. Should have just kept it to your comment about Perno being one of the worst D1 coaches ever. By the way I also attended the Syracuse game which you described as not very pretty. Syracuse which I believe was ranked in the top 15 at the time only won that game 75-68.

Just curious, who was the McDonald AA from Eastern CT. Was it Harold Pressley?
Yes it was....sat on the floor behind the hoop UConn shot at in the 2nd half..watched Kenny Scott dunk the ball at the end and then the "Fire Perno" sign was unfurled in the upper section across from us...very disheartening. That team went 1-9 down the stretch of the final 10 games before getting beat by Seton Hall in the play in game in the BE tourney. The Perno years were my impressionable memories of UConn basketball...and why I enjoyed every minute of what Calhoun & Edsall did and what Cav is doing now. The person I described in my other post told me the day Calhoun was hired he would get UConn into the NCAA tournament with in 5 years and would eventually win a title at UConn. He was right on the money with both.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom