Hawkins needed to be on the court | The Boneyard

Hawkins needed to be on the court

Reaction Score
Hurley seems reluctant to unleash his most talented young players right away. This may have worked at his previous jobs but he's one the best recruiters in the country now and he has to be more willing to let them play through some stuff.

Reaction Score
It was clear today that many of Hurley’s lineups lack enough 3 point weapons. We need Hawkins on the court more.

Reaction Score
Thought he should have been in when they started to struggle offensively after building up the lead. Even if he spells Martin, Ajax, Polley a minute or two rest and have them be fresh for the last 5.
I love Jackson and his potential, but he's not a get his own bucket guy yet. Really that fell on Cole and Sanogo. While Martin is solid and you can't leave Polley alone, I think teams are more than willing to clamp down on RJ and Sanogo and let one of the other 3 try to create a shot.

Reaction Score
Hurley seems reluctant to unleash his most talented young players right away. This may have worked at his previous jobs but he's one the best recruiters in the country now and he has to be more willing to let them play through some stuff.
Yep. If the upperclassmen were closing out games cleanly there would be no argument. That has not been the case so far. Time to unleash the hounds a bit even if it isn't always prettty. It's never pretty as it stands.

Reaction Score
My line up

C Adama
F Jackson
Sf martin
G Hawkins
G Cole

C Whalley
F Polley
F Akok
G gaffney
G diggins

Reaction Score
Hawkins flashes hang dogs when he’s on the bench and hang dogs when he messes something up on the court . He needs to be out there but my sense is Hurley doesn’t think he’s earned it yet and doesn’t love the hang dogs either

Reaction Score
I don't watch the NBA, but Hawkins seems like the type of player they love, and I can see him coming out after this season.
Shooting ability is NBA ready, his handles are like sophomore year of high school level lol. I thought the same thing until we faced some real defenses in the Bahamas. He’s a 2 year guy. Lottery pick after his sophomore year for sure

Reaction Score
My line up

C Adama
F Jackson
Sf martin
G Hawkins
G Cole

C Whalley
F Polley
F Akok
G gaffney
G diggins
This lineup helps the slow start but against a team with a strong front line you might need Whaley in there.

Reaction Score
Shooting ability is NBA ready, his handles are like sophomore year of high school level lol. I thought the same thing until we faced some real defenses in the Bahamas. He’s a 2 year guy. Lottery pick after his sophomore year for sure
I actually addressed this in a different thread. I don’t think Hawkins has that bad of a handle/dribble, and on the contrary, I believe his handle is quite good. Hawkins problem right now is that he is going too fast. As someone who played sports their entire life, it’s a pretty common thing when you’re sped up, to make your move and do it so quickly, maybe even preplanned, that you end up going without the ball. To me it looks like this is exactly what’s happening to him on the handful of plays where he lost the ball.

Also, if you watch the few times he actually went one on one and tried to take his man off the dribble, he fared quite well. Bouknight, for comparison, actually struggled and still does at the nba/gleague level, at taking his man off the dribble and losing the ball. Hawkins is much more polished in this area.

Hurley and staff should be able to fix this quite easily by just getting him to slow down a notch.

Reaction Score
I actually addressed this in a different thread. I don’t think Hawkins has that bad of a handle/dribble, and on the contrary, I believe his handle is quite good. Hawkins problem right now is that he is going too fast. As someone who played sports their entire life, it’s a pretty common thing when you’re sped up, to make your move and do it so quickly, maybe even preplanned, that you end up going without the ball. To me it looks like this is exactly what’s happening to him on the handful of plays where he lost the ball.

Also, if you watch the few times he actually went one on one and tried to take his man off the dribble, he fared quite well. Bouknight, for comparison, actually struggled and still does at the nba/gleague level, at taking his man off the dribble and losing the ball. Hawkins is much more polished in this area.

Hurley and staff should be able to fix this quite easily by just getting him to slow down a notch.
Great analysis. I agree completely. Hawkins handle is fine. He along with Martin and Cole are the only guys who can take their man off the dribble and score.

Reaction Score
Seems like Hawkins has a high dribble at times and in the high end college game it’s a steal party. This happens with a lot of HS players at the next level.

Reaction Score
It's amazing how many of the same people praise Hawkins' handle and complain about Jackson's

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
It's amazing how many of the same people praise Hawkins' handle and complain about Jackson's
Yeah they look almost identical to me, very high and loose with the left hand.

Reaction Score
He actually is our only guy who can create and get to the hole with a good idea to score. RJ can get there but doesn’t have the burst to free himself of his defender yet he does find ways nonetheless. AJ can take and his floater is ok but he doesn’t finish well yet. Gaff can get there occasionally but doesn’t finish well he shoots better from 3 than 3 feet.

Need Hawkins to get time and allow that rope to be longer. One mistake should be a pat in the butt and go get’em NOT come out!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom