Hawkins DNP 2nd half vs DePaul? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Hawkins DNP 2nd half vs DePaul?

Reaction Score
???……. IIRC his season high was against Auburn, and in was 3 for 3 from the arc.
Yeah he had 16 against Auburn, but he's also had 14 and 15 point games against Butler and Georgetown within the past 4 games. But if your expectation is for him to only go up from 16 points and 100% shooting from 3 throughout the season then I'm not sure what to say

Reaction Score
It’s apparent that people on the ‘yard have personal biases in favor of one player over another. And some of these takes are not rational. At all. Here’s reality: we have a bench that could (should?) contribute and impact our season. Sometimes, they don’t perform up to skill and expectations. I’ve learned to tune out the “(insert player name) sucks” comments, particularly in the chat. They all have flaws/strengths/weaknesses. I’d rather be supportive of our hot-and-cold super senior, deer-in-headlights-at-times freshman, and unfortunately-more-passive-than-aggressive junior. As I’ve said previously, UConn will go as far as the bench takes this team in March.

Reaction Score
This whole debate with Hawkins’ playing time wouldn’t be an issue if our upperclassmen would contribute like they should
You’re correct that the upperclassmen as the issue, but you seem to be expecting the same type of production from these guys that you would get from high level recruits in their junior/senior years. These guys are mid major tranfers and 3 star recruits for a reason. Many are outplaying their rankings, but they are still flawed players.

Reaction Score
Yeah he had 16 against Auburn, but he's also had 14 and 15 point games against Butler and Georgetown within the past 4 games. But if your expectation is for him to only go up from 16 points and 100% shooting from 3 throughout the season then I'm not sure what to say
That’s ok, I’ll say it for you. The first half of the season so far he averaged almost 11ppg, since then he’s averaged 6ppg, ok Mr. Linear Up? Oh wait, let’s start comparing the perimeter defense of Auburn to Georgetown…………

Reaction Score
Freshman, regardless of potential or ranking always get a pass. Not sure where the criticism or negativity is coming from. He was not D1 ready, especially Big East when he arrived. He's still learning that the high school moves, plays, etc.. don't work in college requiring him to change his game and adjust. He's got the skills, potential and sweet looking stroke to take him to the next level.

Its about waiting for his confidence to match his skills, and of course for him to figure this higher level of play out.

Last edited:

Curiouser
Reaction Score
That’s ok, I’ll say it for you. The first half of the season so far he averaged almost 11ppg, since then he’s averaged 6ppg, ok Mr. Linear Up? Oh wait, let’s start comparing the perimeter defense of Auburn to Georgetown…………
And I will say it for you: you think he sucks and have given up all hope on him before the end of January in his freshman year, which began with an injury.

Noted.

Reaction Score
Freshman, regardless of potential or rank always get a pass. Not sure where the criticism or negativity is coming from. He was not D1 ready, especially Big East when he arrived. He's still learning that the high school moves, plays, etc.. don't work in college requiring him to change his game and adjust. He's got the skills, potential and sweet looking stroke to take him to the next level.

Its about waiting for his confidence to match his skills, and of course for him to figure this higher level of play out.

He was sensational early on. I think that turnover in Atlantis really messed with him. He was painfully awful after that game. He has looked better as of late. We can tone down the Bouk comparisons though. Hawk is nowhere close to ready for the NBA.

Reaction Score
And I will say it for you: you think he sucks and have given up all hope on him before the end of January in his freshman year, which began with an injury.

Noted.
……and I said the following earlier in the thread ok idiot? Noted
Even when his three point shot is off, he definitely contributes and scores in other ways.

Reaction Score
What he did 5 days ago does nothing for UConn during current game. Frankly if he’s not knocking down up shots he brings nothing to the table.

You originally said he “hasn’t been hitting his threes” so I assumed you missed a game a few days ago so actually my reply was fine. You don’t like him, he sucks to you so he must. He’s a freshman Polleys in his 5th year. I like who Polley is as limited as he’s been, happy he stayed. But I also know who’s career we will eventually remember more. Growing pains I still think he will be big in games coming. Not all but some.

Reaction Score
I actually respect the fact that you lied about his stats because you didn't think I'd check them. The first half of the season he averaged 7.5 points in 18 minutes. Second half of the season he's averaged 5.4 points in 12 minutes. So he's actually scoring more the 2nd half of the season, just getting less minutes

Curiouser
Reaction Score
……and I said the following earlier in the thread ok idiot? Noted
Fair enough; I apologize for exaggerating your position.

I am admittedly flabbergasted by the over-analysis to which he has been subject in his very short college career, and I apparently conflated some of the other anti-Hawkins comments with yours.

I have no problem with the way Hurley is handling him now. He is getting a chance in every game--and pretty early on last night--which tells me that he must be earning it in practice. Earlier in the season I expected that he would have earned a starting position by now, but that obviously hasn't happened and I'm not sure it will this season. But I still expect him to shoot well more consistently than he has, which is what I meat with my initial "progress is not linear" comment.

Reaction Score
Took Hawkins about 5 second to release his final shot of the game. I don't think Hurley like that.

Reaction Score
I actually respect the fact that you lied about his stats because you didn't think I'd check them. The first half of the season he averaged 7.5 points in 18 minutes. Second half of the season he's averaged 5.4 points in 12 minutes. So he's actually scoring more the 2nd half of the season, just getting less minutes
You are full of poo poo. I’ll bet you do your own taxes too.

Reaction Score
Then what games were you using to get to 11 points per game for the first half?
Sorry, my mistake, only used the first three games of the season to get to almost 11ppg (10.7) when he was drilling everything from beyond the arc. My original point in this thread was that his 3 point shooting has declined since the beginning of the season. Maybe a freshman 2nd half wall? Who knows?

Reaction Score
This is such a crazy thread. The kid will be fine over time. He has a great shooting stroke and good athleticism. When it clicks, he will average mid teens, I would guess. The talent is there. He just needs to tighten things up a bit. He's an absolute weapon if on the floor with 2 other legit shooters.

Reaction Score
I know it’s a message board and people get spun up about things, but Hurley’s message is make him play you. Well Hawkins is meeting that bar. He’s getting some run. But it isn’t Hurley’s job to worry about Jordan Hawkins’ minute management when he’s in a dogfight on the road in the BE. The kid was bricking shots that were open looks. I hope he torches Creighton for 20. But it wasn’t working for him last night.

Reaction Score
I think his inability to control the ball dribbling is also affecting his PT. Not solid with it.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Hawkins has terrible handles right now.

I like his hustle on d lately and he was unlucky his threes weren’t falling yesterday but Polley is definitely contributing more at this point, easy decision for the second half.
Handle is the reason why Hawkins is and NBA prospect and Polly is not

I like Polly, I wish him nothing but the best, when his shot is on he's very good, and he too will earn a good living playing basketball abroad. He's not better than Hawkins. I trust time will do it's thing.

Reaction Score

I like Polly, I wish him nothing but the best, when his shot is on he's very good, and he too will earn a good living playing basketball abroad. He's not better than Hawkins. I trust time will do it's thing.

D09E5898-1068-4AFF-9163-3976DFD3261F.png

Reaction Score

If Hawkins' handle is getting him to the NBA I wouldn't want to be his agent. He's got a lot going for him as a player but as a combo guard his current handle is atrocious, not sure what games you're watching.

Reaction Score
I don't get mad when Hawkins makes mistakes because he oozes with talent and needs to be given as many minutes as the team can spare to get him game reps. There aren't many freshmen that come along that force you to scan the 5 on the floor out of each stoppage to see if they are in the game. If you think this team can make a deep March run without him contributing you haven't watched most of the games vs. worthy opponents. On a team that is much more comfortable, even going out of it's way, to play painfully close games vs. good teams, he's the wild card that can blow games open if given the opportunity. If you think this team turned the corner by blowing out Butler and Georgetown and can now shrink its bench for an absurdly crowded stretch of basketball, you don't really know this team.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom