Having a hard time learning to love Hurley | The Boneyard

Having a hard time learning to love Hurley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Maybe it's the fact that without fans, the mics pick up almost everything. So this year we were treated to 40 minutes of Hurley screaming into our living rooms. Through every. Single. Play. Rick Pitino is another incessant screamer. He did this even with the Celtics--shocker the players eventually quit on him. I don't believe Calhoun did that. Correct me if I'm wrong, but he screamed when he was upset with a player or a ref, but he didn't bark orders in real time on what players should do on every possession. Do players just ignore him? How the heck do you concentrate on the play and also focus on the advice coming from your maniac coach on the sidelines?

Also.............we have to talk about the mask thing. He takes it off to talk to refs, players, and the other coach, then he puts it back on when he walks away. Is this dress rehearsal? We're a year into the pandemic. Everyone knows by now that's the OPPOSITE of what you're supposed to do. He's either being ignorant or willfully non-complaint. Neither is a good look. Especially on a team that had multiple Covid related pauses.

Plus, he just doesn't have a warm personality. Yes, Calhoun was a nut, yes he could be a total jerk, but he still often seemed like a basically likable, down to earth guy. Hurley just doesn't seem to have that soft touch to balance out his angry lunacy. So I almost get more of a Bobby Knight vibe than a Jim Calhoun vibe. Calhoun seemed relaxed and comfortable in his own skin much of the time. Hurley constantly seems like a string that's about to snap--even in interviews where he's trying to be calm.

If they don't win--like, really win--in the next couple of years, I predict he's going to quit. Mental health sabbatical. Best thing. Otherwise he might murder someone!

Reaction Score
Maybe it's the fact that without fans, the mics pick up almost everything. So this year we were treated to 40 minutes of Hurley screaming into our living rooms. Through every. Single. Play. Rick Pitino is another incessant screamer. He did this even with the Celtics--shocker the players eventually quit on him. I don't believe Calhoun did that. Correct me if I'm wrong, but he screamed when he was upset with a player or a ref, but he didn't bark orders in real time on what players should do on every possession. Do players just ignore him? How the heck do you concentrate on the play and also focus on the advice coming from your maniac coach on the sidelines?

Also.............we have to talk about the mask thing. He takes it off to talk to refs, players, and the other coach, then he puts it back on when he walks away. Is this dress rehearsal? We're a year into the pandemic. Everyone knows by now that's the OPPOSITE of what you're supposed to do. He's either being ignorant or willfully non-complaint. Neither is a good look. Especially on a team that had multiple Covid related pauses.

Plus, he just doesn't have a warm personality. Yes, Calhoun was a nut, yes he could be a total jerk, but he still often seemed like a basically likable, down to earth guy. Hurley just doesn't seem to have that soft touch to balance out his angry lunacy. So I almost get more of a Bobby Knight vibe than a Jim Calhoun vibe. Calhoun seemed relaxed and comfortable in his own skin much of the time. Hurley constantly seems like a string that's about to snap--even in interviews where he's trying to be calm.

If they don't win--like, really win--in the next couple of years, I predict he's going to quit. Mental health sabbatical. Best thing. Otherwise he might murder someone!
Settle down

Reaction Score
The lack of understanding nuance on this forum is a little ridiculous.

I love Hurley, he's bringing the program in the right direction by recruiting high-level recruits. It's hard to not love his passion for the game of basketball, the kids on the team, and the program in general.

However, he hasn't shown the ability to be a good mid-game coach, ESPECIALLY when the game is tight and it's on a big stage. We saw this at URI when they were in the tournament and we've seen it multiple times this year alone.

I think he bears some of the blame from yesterday, but we also do not get there without him. Both things can be true. He's still a relatively inexperienced coach when it comes to coaching in big-spots, he will figure it out.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
We call him the carpenter when he wins and the demolisher when he loses. I put more blame on Bouknight for this one. Sanogo will gain more experience and less foul trouble down the road. Cole’s injury didn’t help either. Although, I wonder what play was called when Gaffney threw up that horrendous shot at the end of the game.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Thanks for the tipoff in putting Foul in your handle.
Do you have a RyanFair account too?

Reaction Score
You guys are sad. You don't understand the difference between being a fan and sycophant.

Reaction Score
your post was goofy as hell. the responses were actually pretty tame. Hurley seems mean?
Seinfeld taught us there's good naked and bad naked. When it comes to coaches, there's good mean and bad mean.

Reaction Score
I question whether you really watched or listened to Calhoun in his 25+ years at UConn
I ask this exact same question when I hear people criticize Hurley for being too hot tempered on the bench, or too argumentative with the officials. I just don’t understand.

Reaction Score
You don't think the players and coaches are getting tested everyday? The mask thing seems just for optics
Testing is flawed. It's a snapshot. And there are false negatives--and false positives. It's really not that hard to keep your mask on. Other coaches manage it. It's embarrassing that ours doesn't.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
You guys are sad. You don't understand the difference between being a fan and sycophant.
My TV has a volume control, so I don't hear Hurley like you do.

And I could write bad posts like yours better than you do.

If this isn't trolling, then that makes you more stupid than just intentionally unpleasant . Oh well.

But I give you some credit for not just setting off the stink bomb, but also coming back into the room to wave your arms around and keep it going.

Heads up: don't be surprised if every room you go into smells today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom