Has the gag order been lifted? | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Has the gag order been lifted?

Reaction Score
Can someone start a poll asking which you’d prefer - miller keeping his mouth shut and Ollie stays or Miller sings and we have what we have now.
I’d think the answer is lopsided. Unless someone wants to think UConn would have rid themselves of Ollie and written a 10 mil check which I find hard to believe

Desperate times, its a business, so if they can get out of his deal on a technicality so be it, I guess you do it.

But that's what they are doing. Anyone acting offended by these violations is comical.

Reaction Score
Our terrible fanbase is why UConn got left behind... the Ollie situation has made it crystal clear these are not people you want to be in a foxhole with.

Cheering on rat Glen Miller. If I didn’t see it I probably wouldn’t have believed it.
Our terrible fanbase is why we got left behind??????????

Reaction Score
Desperate times, its a business, so if they can get out of his deal on a technicality so be it, I guess you do it.

But that's what they are doing. Anyone acting offended by these violations is comical.
Yeah but I think most people are admitting they aren't really offended, but they are violations.

Again, KO's agent left a wide open hole and UConn is using it.

Question - is this same language in Hurley's contract? If he has violations they can terminate him without pay? I believe it did, but not positive.

Reaction Score
Eh - you're all over thinking and over playing this. Let me summarize.

AD to KO: Ok, you've really stunk up the place and it's time for you to go. We can negotiate a reduced buyout.
KO: No, I want my 10 million.
AD: Well we have a lot of evidence that will support just cause - I really suggest you take a reduced buyout.
KO: You don't have the juevos to go the distance. I'll hold my ground.
AD to GM: You mind talking to an investigator with full immunity? The family is behind you.
GM: You mean I get to burn him? Sure, I'll talk.
KO: Holy crap - you have all that on record? I shoulda taken the reduce buyout.

And that boys and girls are where we are today.
Bingo. It feels like piling on but it's just another glaring example of how far in over his head he was.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Yeah that’s because you are mad at him because the team sucked.

Cheer on an athletic department that pays someone to coach another team and employ a rat.

Then pretend that Calhoun while employed by another school didn’t sanction said rat potentially damaging UConn.

I get it Ollie sucked - but you are cheering on snakes in order to save the school some amount of money that doesn’t matter.

Calhoun created the situation - got jealous that there was success beyond him and has acted like a 9 year old who can’t have a toy for 3 years.

If you are cool cheering for that to save a few dollars - that’s great. I’ll pass on pretending they aren’t duplicitious backstabbers.

Vis a vis how the AthDept is operating here: ADs are run like this all over the country. It's not some great failing on UCONN's part. Not a big fan of our Ath Dept, but looking at this stuff as egregiously exceptional is off base.

As far as major college athletic departments go nationwide, this seems pretty run of the mill stuff to me. Heck, even stuff like what went on at Louisville isn't crazy to me. Some ADs are just better at getting away with it (or are smoother about it). ADs are like mini mafias.

Last edited:

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
Kevin Ollie’s tenure turned into a dumpster fire. But the allegations against him happen at every program. And I would guess happened at UCONN before he took over.

As you yourself have stated before, they can't pay 10 million to make Ollie walk. They don't have a printing press. They found an out. They used it and now they have a damn good coach with a damn good coaching staff in place.

Bingo and bingo. People want to make this about JC's sketchiness or about the sketchiness at other programs. This story isn't about corruption in college basketball. This story is about an administration finding reasons to can an employee for cause because they couldn't can him for performance.

Reaction Score
As far as major college athletic departments go nationwide, this seems pretty run of the mill stuff to me. Heck, even stuff like what went on at Louisville isn't crazy to me. Some schools are just better at getting away with it. ADs are like mini mafias.
Of course it's fairly small stuff and of course that doesn't matter.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
As far as major college athletic departments go nationwide, this seems pretty run of the mill stuff to me. Heck, even stuff like what went on at Louisville isn't crazy to me. Some schools are just better at getting away with it. ADs are like mini mafias.

Sure, but we weren't trying to get away with it because we had a coach to get rid of. As people have stated earlier, if he were still winning, even if he had been 35-29 instead of 29-35 or whatever he was in the past two years, we would have gotten away with it, too.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Agree on many points, but then GM is going to sue the AD’s school for a few million dollars. So if it was set up as you surmise - it was short sighted.

He has nothing to sue them for. Ollie can hire/fire who he wants for whatever reason. What does UCONN have to do with it?

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Purvis taking a shot at GM

I believe RP is still in communication with KO, interesting person to watch in all this.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Of course it's fairly small stuff and of course that doesn't matter.
Sure, but we weren't trying to get away with it because we had a coach to get rid of. As people have stated earlier, if he were still winning, even if he had been 35-29 instead of 29-35 or whatever he was in the past two years, we would have gotten away with it, too.

I was speaking to Whaler's point about how 'shamefully' the AthDept was acting in this. My rebuttal was that ADs operate like this all over the country. It's not some great failing on UCONN's part. Not a big fan of our Ath Dept, but just saying that calling these moves egregiously exceptional is off base.

Gonna edit that post to be clear.

BaZZnBOAT

ONIONS!
Reaction Score
I think one thing should be made clear. Regardless of how minor the violations may seem to a vast majority, they did happen. And, according to the contract signed by KO, those violations are a fireable offense.

The university could theoretically have fired KO if his team was performing well or not. Would it have been likely given Ollie was perfoming to the UConn standard? No. But it was a possibility given the contract language. Regardless of how you feel about the use of a “just cause” dismissal, it’s valid based on the violations committed.

Those are simply the facts. Regardless of how you feel is strictly an opinion. I think a case would be made that UConn would have worked with KO on the violations had the team succeeded. But there’s also an argument to be made that the losing and damage in the program’s perception was too much to bear any potential violations in the first place.

Reaction Score
The great irony in this is that UConn (deservedly) looks really bad, due in no small part to the fact that conference realignment gutted their budget, which will in turn cause the fans to lash out at the former head coach.

All the while, the NCAA laughs to the bank. Any more questions as to how this system works?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Smells like JC in the mix.

I don't see any way Miller didn't at least talk to JC before this NCAA involvement. And they are working together now, so clearly JC has his back.
Gotta admit, I don't like that smell. I love JC and I know all my heroes have their warts, but I don't like to see them exposed. I literally plugged my ears and started doing the "Nah, nah, nah, nah, nah" thing when my buddy started telling me about some of the stuff that went down under JC's tenure.

In true Irish fashion, part of me wants to think JC wasn't involved beyond knowing he couldn't tell Miller to lie to the NCAA without creating potential exposure for himself and more exposure for the school. I have a hard time believing he knew the extent to which Miller was going to go, or that he encouraged him to speculate like he did in order to bury Ollie.

I was looking forward to rooting for St. Joe's. Was.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ranon

Top Bottom