Has the gag order been lifted? | Page 13 | The Boneyard

Has the gag order been lifted?

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
So who was the kid whose name was blotted out in the alleged 30k payment?

Reaction Score
upload_2018-6-21_8-16-11.png

Not good. Fake classes are ok though!

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
You guys are crazy if you think Miller didn't seek Calhoun's advise in this mess. If Miller remains on Calhoun's staff at St Joe's, then I think we all know what JC's recommendation was.
More likely he consulted his attorney and not JC who is not qualified to give him legal advice.

Reaction Score
One person comes off looking terrible here and that’s Miller. And I would argue that Jim Calhoun comes off as the second worst.

Kevin Ollie’s tenure turned into a dumpster fire. But the allegations against him happen at every program. And I would guess happened at UCONN before he took over.
Compared to what went on Louisville for example, Ollie ran a convent. The worst part is it lets Benedict and Herbst off the hook for a terrible extension.

Ollie needed to go that's not the issue. I wonder if Hurleys contract has such broad just cause language.

Reaction Score
Your timeline is wrong - this stuff happened in 2015/2016. Blaze started in June 2017. The architect of Blaze got himself a real D1 job just a couple months ago.
There is a reason why Chill jumps from one desperate program to the next. He offers a quick fix, but we all know there are no short cuts in life.

Reaction Score
Why are people saying the school used Miller? I don’t believe that’s what happened.
I don't either, they wouldn't need to. If they had all this information already, they had cause.

C

Chief00

There is a reason why Chill jumps from one desperate program to the next. He offers a quick fix, but we all know there are no short cuts in life.

All this stuff happened before Chill arrived in Storrs. What is it you don’t understand about timelines?

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score

The hype around him was so strange. Sure, he recruited a couple of good players at UW, but he helped coach a team that won less than ten games with the number one overall pick

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I don't either, they wouldn't need to. If they had all this information already, they had cause.
Did they have all this information already? I thought it only came to light when Miller talked about it in the University’s internal investigation, as a result of which they then self-reported to the NCAA. After that, Miller testified for the NCAA, right?

Reaction Score
Yeah I’m sure you run to HR everytime you see someone use their computer for personal use or spend $15 over the per diem on a business trip.

Not at all, but once someone gets fired, all bets are off. It's all good until it isn't.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Me too man, this is my major distraction from the struggles of life. I hope all this passes quick and we can get back to having fun with Uconn playing great basketball. That being said, I am not optimistic. I have a feeling this all around bad situation will drag on for a long time. I am already getting sick of it.But I do think great BB is on the horizen.

Unless the two sides settle, if this case goes to arbitration and Ollie doesn't like the result, he files suit in federal court. If that happens, it will be years before the case gets resolved.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Did they have all this information already? I thought it only came to light when Miller talked about it in the University’s internal investigation, as a result of which they then self-reported to the NCAA. After that, Miller testified for the NCAA, right?

That’s what it looks like. Benedict seems to have self reported to the NCAA after Ollie’s shoot around video? Then NCAA investigated and GM talked, though my guess would be that AD David Benedict knew GM was gonna talk and self reported to get that ball rolling

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Not at all, but once someone gets fired, all bets are off. It's all good until it isn't.

You think that upper management working in cahoots with a disgrunted fired employee to attack a middle manager is what happens in the real world?

You might like the potential outcome but if you think their actions aren’t odorous then you’ve got a few thousand posts that ring pretty hollow.

Reaction Score
This isn't slimy, this is common sense. This is a situation where an employee badly underperformed such that it was imperative to fire him before he could do more damage to the product. The employer could either pay him $10 million after firing him, or not. The employer is funded in part by your tax dollars. Are you saying you want the employer to say 'ah heck, he did a terrible job and we have the right to void our $10 million obligation to him, but let's go ahead and pay him anyway'? That's nuts.
The common sense would be not agreeing to a buyout you can't afford. I'm ready to move on, but Sue Herbst and Dave Benedict are not exactly the savants the board made them out to be once upon a time.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Or you could understand that contract law in American jurisprudence is grounded in economic efficiency and not morality.

And that not only did Herbst and Benedict have the option to seek to fire KO for cause under the facts here, they arguably had a fiduciary duty to do so.

And for those obsessed with whaling - er, wailing - and gnashing of teeth about the morality of all this, why is UConn any more immoral for using a contract clause to get out of paying KO $10 million despite the minor nature of the NCAA violations than KO is for using a contract clause to assert he's entitled to $10 million despite driving the program off a frigging cliff?

Bingo. There is no ethical or moral basis for Ollie seeking to be paid for a job he no longer has to do, and which he was terrible at for the last two years in which he was paid in full. There is nothing moral about his position. The only basis he has for that money is that the contract technically allows it. Well the contract also allows UConn not to pay it if he violates any NCAA rules. He did. He has nobody to blame but himself.

I would always support any organization that seeks to not pay someone for not doing work. That is the fair result. In this case, as fans of UConn athletics, which is in dire financial circumstances, it's astonishing to me that anyone here would prefer to unjustly enrich Kevin Ollie by paying him not to work.

Reaction Score
David Borges‏ @DaveBorges 6m 6 minutes ago
A few takeaways after perusing some 1,200 pages of Ollie/UConn docs last night ...

David Borges‏ @DaveBorges 5m 5 minutes ago
NCAA was quite inquisitive about Dave Sevush, whose prior claim to "fame" was narc-ing me out for taking 10 seconds of video in a practice. NCAA seemed to think Sevush was doing more than just editing video.

David Borges‏ @DaveBorges 4m 4 minutes ago
Glen Miller testimony (is that the right word?) is explosive, but ultimately just one man's word and, in most cases, hearsay. Says he didn't even witness the alleged Ray Allen phone call.

David Borges‏ @DaveBorges 1m 1 minute ago
It's interesting to piece together which players are being interviewed, and which players' names have been redacted. Some are abundantly obvious, particularly in Miller testimony. Others, tougher to guess.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Why are people saying the school used Miller? I don’t believe that’s what happened.

Because they are whiny b*tches who are upset that a rich guy who didn't do the job he was paid $3,000,000 a year to do, won't be paid $10,000,000 to not do the job for a further 3 years. So they assume that the whole thing was set up by the school that saves the $10m, rather than acknowledging that it was simply an incompetent coach adding on further incompetency.

Reaction Score
You think that upper management working in cahoots with a disgrunted fired employee to attack a middle manager is what happens in the real world?

You might like the potential outcome but if you think their actions aren’t odorous then you’ve got a few thousand posts that ring pretty hollow.

If the middle manager ended up being trash absolutely. Except in corporations nobody has contracts and people just get fired and that's that. But if corporations had to do it, I am absolutely sure they would.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom