Hartford > Gampel | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Hartford > Gampel

Reaction Score
In my opinion, on TV, the students looked and sounded better than average. The rest of the crowd seemed much less energetic than average, with the exception of a few moments.
This is probably the right take. I thought at the PC and Marquette games the non-student crowd was stronger than at last nights game. However there’s really no replacement for having a few thousand students getting to the game an hour before tip and going nuts.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Might need to order….

Is that supposed to be for winning the A-10?

That's cringe-worthy imo, until he cuts down a net here.

Reaction Score
If all the games were played at Gampel, it'd take 5 minutes for people to start bitching about how difficult it is to get to the games and then after two straight losses people would want a new arena built next to the Rent. Sigh.

Reaction Score
You guys, if you saw MBS’ posts in the post game thread, you’d know he’s a troll. Stop responding.

Reaction Score

Well too bad the fans on their couch didn’t think the student section or the crowd gave a boost to the team. Dan definitely is conspiring against the XL center no way it was actually good the people who were watching it on their tv told me it wasn’t that great

Reaction Score
doesn't stop the XL no shows (students) from talking about how XL looks on tv........
Oh my god, not trying to have this debate again. But, the students are the most important part and we’re the only school that makes it’s students go over the river and through the wood’s to grandmothers’ house with the consistency that we do.

Reaction Score

This BC guy is a clown 99% of the time but he's right about everything there. CT is just in a terrible spot. For such a small state, everything is so far away from each other that it helps no one. Imagine if Foxwoods and Mohegan were in Hartford? Or if Storrs wasn't 45 minutes into farm country? It like everyone tried to build as far away from each other as possible and it benefits no one

Reaction Score
Don’t forgot folks @John wanted us to stay in the AAC.

His opinion on UConn athletics should not be taken seriously
If you're going to toss me under the bus, at least have half a clue pal. I did not want to stay in the AAC. I said we belong in an all-sports conference (ACC/Big 10) and that the Big East will lead to a long term decline in our athletic department and should not be viewed as a permanent home.

Reaction Score
The last thing I'm doing is getting involved in another XL/Gampel debate, but does anyone know what this line from Hurley means? "Heading towards the student record at Gampel for attendance with students."

Reaction Score
If you're going to toss me under the bus, at least have half a clue pal. I did not want to stay in the AAC. I said we belong in an all-sports conference (ACC/Big 10) and that the Big East will lead to a long term decline in our athletic department and should not be viewed as a permanent home.

Sorry, that was a cheap shot on my end.

I disagree, but that’s an even more annoying debate than this one lol

Reaction Score

Been to 2 games at XL and 2 games at gampel this year one being last nights game. The energy at gampel with the students is much better without a doubt.

Rothstein is just parroting what Hurley wants. And yes, Hartford vs. Storrs is a big issue and source of frustration in athletic department for at last the last 10 years, probably longer.

UConn owns Gampel, runs it, budgeting and control of experience. The entire apparatus of employees are in Storrs area. They just stay late after work. It is more college atmosphere.

This is simple. First off, XL needs a new arena. Second, it needs to sell out at XL or close to it or it is not worth it. 10K at XL is a loss They need minimum of 13K or it doesn't make sense to go there.

Lastly, you can't complain about UConn athletics losing money if you don't allow them to do things to close that gap.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
The last thing I'm doing is getting involved in another XL/Gampel debate, but does anyone know what this line from Hurley means? "Heading towards the student record at Gampel for attendance with students."
I'm guessing he meant that it was close to the record for most students in attendance at a men's basketball game at Gampel.

Not clear what time period he's referring to or how measured, but I gather he just wanted to acknowledge and thank the crowd, both because it was good energy for the team, and because he wanted to repair a bit of his image after the reports about him jawing with fans at the XL.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom