Hartford Courant | The Boneyard

Hartford Courant

Reaction Score
Man, I'm so sick of trying to read links that end up going to the Hartford Courant and then being blocked from reading because I've been there too often. Seems to me that if you're going to post stuff on the net, you ought to let anyone read it, instead of using it as a tool to sell subscriptions. Heck, I never read the rag even when I lived in Bloomfield - sure not going to subscribe from GA.

Reaction Score
Man, I'm so sick of trying to read links that end up going to the Hartford Courant and then being blocked from reading because I've been there too often. Seems to me that if you're going to post stuff on the net, you ought to let anyone read it, instead of using it as a tool to sell subscriptions. Heck, I never read the rag even when I lived in Bloomfield - sure not going to subscribe from GA.
I agree a whole-heartily with you. It is a rag.

Reaction Score
But then how would the Hartford Courant pay for writers, editors, offices, utilities, etc.? Your post strikes me representing the entitlement Geno observes in too many young people. You'd like to read Courant aka "the rag" articles often and you'd like them to be free. So someone else should pay - just not you - or?

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
But then how would the Hartford Courant pay for writers, editors, offices, utilities, etc.? Your post strikes me representing the entitlement Geno observes in too many young people. You'd like to read Courant aka "the rag" articles often and you'd like them to be free. So someone else should pay - just not you - or?

Exactly Wilderness.. Entitlement. See the games, read about them, know about them...the heck with who pays, as long as it not "us".

And...please, Agusta and Frenchy, show me where and how the HC is a "rag"? All employees, all writers, are part of this rag?

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score

There is a way...... How to quickly bypass the paywalls of WSJ, NYT and others

Reaction Score
Yup, using incognito mode is only 1/2 click slower than just clicking on the link. No problems getting there, ever. But... the Courant is still painful to read, with their proactive pop-up ads flying at you. I've learned to be extremely careful what I momentarily hover my mouse over, but always get at least one full-screen ad anyway. I'll go anywhere else I can to read about something if I can avoid the Courant - they just don't get digital at all.

Reaction Score
Exactly Wilderness.. Entitlement. See the games, read about them, know about them...the heck with who pays, as long as it not "us".

And...please, Agusta and Frenchy, show me where and how the HC is a "rag"? All employees, all writers, are part of this rag?
I have known this for forty years. I pay other sources which are more even handed and enjoyable to read.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Try changing your browser. Google Chrome works for me.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
augustaTC: Given that you're from GA you might be able to simply "sign up," surrendering your email address in exchange for membership, for want of a better word, to get their online content. You have to sign in with username and password, but you should have no problems getting the content. Works for me.

This might be what Fishy is referring to.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
That does work - or it did work.

But in this instance, I give them money and they give me news.

Reaction Score

Do you work for free ?

Reaction Score
Clearly a concept that has somehow gone out of vogue.
The Courant gets paid for ad clicks. Forcing readers to 'unclick' proactive pop-up ads is not competitive in today's digital media marketplace. Unless their content is far better than competitor content, which it is not.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
To join in the lecture:
We have grown so accustomed to getting our news on the net, and then are surprised when no one can agree on basic facts, and people with agendas feed half truths and outright lies to non-critical thinking people incapable of discerning the difference. We don't even have to read anything that might challenge our preconceptions because we can filter down to only those sites that support them and feed them. And we have enough 'news channels' now and radio stations that we can pick and choose what we see and hear as well.
While newspapers are by no means perfect, they do live in a space where what they print is edited and fact checked, and where their reputation is somewhat dependent on them getting things correct. And because most are local, they spend a fair amount of their effort on local issues that have more effect on how we live day to day than most national and international news.
If we lose that level of attention, and level of effort to get correct information out we will all suffer for it. So, I would ask people to consider supporting at least one newspaper with a hard copy or on-line subscription. For us Uconn fans, having someone paying the salary and expenses of each member of the horde makes our fandom richer, and as we have seen with the loss of a few of the horde to budget cuts over the years, it is not guaranteed that the horde will remain intact.
And I now step down from my soap box. :)

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
The Courant gets paid for ad clicks. Forcing readers to 'unclick' proactive pop-up ads is not competitive in today's digital media marketplace. Unless their content is far better than competitor content, which it is not.
So don't complain about not being able to read the stories they publish about Uconn WCBB - it aint worth it, right!

Reaction Score
So don't complain about not being able to read the stories they publish about Uconn WCBB - it aint worth it, right!
I skip a lot of them, as there are a lot of redundant stories. After reading the same exact 'news' 2 or 3 times, I'm happy to leave the Courant off my reading list that day.

Reaction Score
Wow, guess my post hit a lot of touchy spots. First of all, I'm don't feel entitled at all....the only point was simply that I find it annoying to click something from my browser and then get bombarded with ads. I'm old and cranky is all.

augustaTC: Given that you're from GA you might be able to simply "sign up," surrendering your email address in exchange for membership, for want of a better word, to get their online content. You have to sign in with username and password, but you should have no problems getting the content. Works for me.

This might be what Fishy is referring to.

Thanks, a constructive thought....will give it a try. T0 those who felt the need to lecture on capitalism and entitlement, your thoughts are also much appreciated and I certainly appreciate that you took the time to express them.

Reaction Score
To join in the lecture:
We have grown so accustomed to getting our news on the net, and then are surprised when no one can agree on basic facts, and people with agendas feed half truths and outright lies to non-critical thinking people incapable of discerning the difference. We don't even have to read anything that might challenge our preconceptions because we can filter down to only those sites that support them and feed them. And we have enough 'news channels' now and radio stations that we can pick and choose what we see and hear as well.
While newspapers are by no means perfect, they do live in a space where what they print is edited and fact checked, and where their reputation is somewhat dependent on them getting things correct. And because most are local, they spend a fair amount of their effort on local issues that have more effect on how we live day to day than most national and international news.
If we lose that level of attention, and level of effort to get correct information out we will all suffer for it. So, I would ask people to consider supporting at least one newspaper with a hard copy or on-line subscription. For us Uconn fans, having someone paying the salary and expenses of each member of the horde makes our fandom richer, and as we have seen with the loss of a few of the horde to budget cuts over the years, it is not guaranteed that the horde will remain intact.
And I now step down from my soap box. :)

By all means, stay on the soap box. It is amazing, literally amazing, to see the difference in public officials' behavior when a newspaper is covering them and when they know it is not. I have worked on both sides of that street (as both a reporter and a public information officer) and can assure you that when local news goes away, local corruption has free reign. This has nothing to do with WCBB except that the same newspaper that covers UConn also covers dozens if not hundreds of local and state-level boards, commissions, councils and officials. If it cannot pay for employees to do this work, the work will not get done.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Everyone just use another browser. I had problems with Mozilla for a lot of content blocks. Google Chrome works a treat. Then just move on.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
upload_2017-3-23_4-26-36.jpeg

Reaction Score
Everyone just use another browser.

Well, there's an easier way. For Chrome just go to the "Chrome" menu and select "Clear Browsing Data". Clear everything except Media Licenses and Passwords. Yes, you then have to re-enter your passwords on regular visited sites to set a cookie again, but your passwords are still remembered so that is easy.

Then you get another four trips free.

On other Browsers, just clear all cookies, or you can even go into Preferences for the Browser and pick through the cookies and just remove the one for that online newspaper.

This you can do ad nauseam.

For the Courant, they usually run a 8 weeks for $0.99. Sometimes it is only 4 weeks. Good enough to get through Postseason.

Most of the papers now use the same software and the Courant uses, and carry the same Specials.

or just go for $4.00/month and skip a coffee every two days.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom