Hartford Courant on Diarra | The Boneyard

Hartford Courant on Diarra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I work like a half mile from Putnam Science. If I was a VCU fan I'd already have decorated his locker like it's Valentine's day

caw

Reaction Score
I work like a half mile from Putnam Science. If I was a VCU fan I'd already have decorated his locker like it's Valentine's day

Don't think he would see it much at Putnam Science...

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
See the comment about Samuel? I guess TSam didn't feel encouraged.

Reaction Score

If he couldn't take KO imagine if he ever played for JC? Need to be thick skinned and man up in any big time program. I am sure KO is capable of breaking down any individual player at any given time as well he should be.

Reaction Score
Thank goodness Shaka left vcu - they were on so many of same kids.

Reaction Score
If he couldn't take KO imagine if he ever played for JC? Need to be thick skinned and man up in any big time program. I am sure KO is capable of breaking down any individual player at any given time as well he should be.
Not sure JC wouldn't have had an aneurysm with the shot selection and decision making with last years team.

Reaction Score
Shaka is still on the same kids - only problem is he is now at Texas, which is a much better sell than VCU was. (See Bruce Brown).

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Thank goodness Shaka left vcu - they were on so many of same kids.
I don't know. Won't that make losing another recruit to VCU even worse?

Reaction Score
I don't know. Won't that make losing another recruit to VCU even worse?
Can they lose him first before you pen your next "things just aren't the same" thread?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Can they lose him first before you pen your next "things just aren't the same" thread?
Easy, ace. Why don't you pluck that hair across your ass. You'll feel better.

Reaction Score
Shaka is still on the same kids - only problem is he is now at Texas, which is a much better sell than VCU was. (See Bruce Brown).
Don't think he will b on as many, certainly some. Texas is also a long way for some kids. Like our chances here, no inside info.

I hate how staff stopped contacting Brown....

Reaction Score

I love that comment, and I love that Diarra loved it, too (too much love:)).

TSam's issue was playing time with Adams coming in and the possibility of Gibbs transferring.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
How good is this kid? What's a good comp, in terms of past Husky players?

Reaction Score

"I remember [Terrence] Samuel, he did something wrong and he got subbed out," Diarra said. "And coach [Kevin] Ollie said, 'You can't do stuff like that, you've got to believe in yourself. I believe in you.' When I heard that, I felt, wow, that was a pretty good thing to say. … He was encouraging him."

Ollie is the best

Reaction Score
In watching Diarra's highlights, I don't see too many UConn comps, but maybe a shorter Josh Boone.

His body type is more Jeff Adrien, but I don't think he has as polished an offensive game.

Diarra seems like a legit bruiser/shot-blocker/rebounder. If he's averaging 10 ppg as a 6-8 high school junior, he projects as a garbageman at UConn, but I don't mean that in a negative way. If he continues to improve, I think he could be a very solid off the bench big, who could start as a senior. Definitely a four year player, and maybe he even grows some. His wingspan is strong too. He reminds me more of the bigs Louisville has had in recent years. We can use that toughness/rebounding.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score

Hard to feel encouraged when you've put in your time as an underclassmen and are in line to get some serious minutes at the 1 when Ollie makes the statement:

"It's my job to evaluate and correct the needs of the program," or something to that effect and then goes after Gibbs.

We all love T Sam. We all know he's more role player than leader on a UConn team. So its understandable that Ollie went the route he did. And its also understandable that such a decision would lead to T Sam feeling like he received a vote of no confidence and acting in his best interests.

Reaction Score
Hard to feel encouraged when you've put in your time as an underclassmen and are in line to get some serious minutes at the 1 when Ollie makes the statement:

"It's my job to evaluate and correct the needs of the program," or something to that effect and then goes after Gibbs.

We all love T Sam. We all know he's more role player than leader on a UConn team. So its understandable that Ollie went the route he did. And its also understandable that such a decision would lead to T Sam feeling like he received a vote of no confidence and acting in his best interests.

I like Samuel a lot, but he earned a vote of no confidence. There were plenty of minutes to be won last year, and he got a lot of chances to win them. When he got opportunities, he played poorly.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
I like Samuel a lot, but he earned a vote of no confidence. There were plenty of minutes to be won last year, and he got a lot of chances to win them. When he got opportunities, he played poorly.
Agreed. Omar deserved his too. Omar dealt with it differently.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Hurry up and commit, Diarra. If I keep opening this thread, it's only a matter of time before I start seeing banner ads for Pepto.

Reaction Score
Agree with sentiments TSam had his chances, got to become a serviceable shooter and have a better handle. I love what he did but very disappointing to see no growth from year 1-2. I had big ideas for him as a complimentary piece but he did not grow at all. Seems like a lot of guys rested on title (not Boat for sure!)

Reaction Score
TS was a role player that could give you 5 great minutes, as he did in 2014.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
TS was a role player that could give you 5 great minutes, as he did in 2014.

He played 21 against Nova, 23 against Iowa St, 4 against MSU, 18 against FL & 11 against KY in the NCAA

A bit more than 5 minutes a game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky