OT: - Hartford Athletics Possible Drop to D3 | Page 6 | The Boneyard

OT: Hartford Athletics Possible Drop to D3

Reaction Score
Does anyone actually know how many athletic scholarships Hartford awards? I assume a large part of this softball team isn't on one (of getting a partial) since there is no football to balance.

Having a college freshman that was a fringe D2/D1 softball recruit (and investigating lots of schools when she was a HS junior/senior, I can tell you that D1 softball has a max of 12 scholarships per team. They usually give full schollys to pitchers/catchers or top recruits, but usually split them across the whole team.

Most D1 schools fund out 12, but there's no REQUIREMENT for the University to fund 12 though. I don't know the details for UHart as they didn't have my daughter's desired major, but given everything financially we've learned about UHart, wouldn't surprise me if they had like 6-10 schollys spread across the whole team...

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Having a college freshman that was a fringe D2/D1 softball recruit (and investigating lots of schools when she was a HS junior/senior, I can tell you that D1 softball has a max of 12 scholarships per team. They usually give full schollys to pitchers/catchers or top recruits, but usually split them across the whole team.

Most D1 schools fund out 12, but there's no REQUIREMENT for the University to fund 12 though. I don't know the details for UHart as they didn't have my daughter's desired major, but given everything financially we've learned about UHart, wouldn't surprise me if they had like 6-10 schollys spread across the whole team...
This is the unseen part of low D1 or DII or DIII while you don’t award “athletic scholarships” you’re still giving a full ride or at least close to it to most nonobscure athletes in some fashion.

Reaction Score
This is the unseen part of low D1 or DII or DIII while you don’t award “athletic scholarships” you’re still giving a full ride or at least close to it to most nonobscure athletes in some fashion.
I had a few D3 offers to play soccer out of high school and they all told me they’d get me “academic” scholarships to go there. I ultimately chose UConn with no soccer, but it was pretty interesting.

Reaction Score
For years watching TV sports coverage of UHart basketball the gym was always empty. The players care but there are no fans in a small building. They have had good players in baseball but again who cares? Who goes to watch? $9 mil a year is not small change.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
For years watching TV sports coverage of UHart basketball the gym was always empty. The players care but there are no fans in a small building. They have had good players in baseball but again who cares? Who goes to watch? $9 mil a year is not small change.
The degree of outcry by the local sports media almost matches the degree of indifference they had for UHa sports.

SwingDog

"THIS is the life you have"
Reaction Score
Remember your father well, I was a freshman in 1963, an immediate family member was the MBB coach, the varsity on which your father played was a really great cast of characters, many personalities. Lots of fun, beat Trinity (again).
That's pretty incredible! I appreciate you telling me that. So you were a few years behind him. As you know he played basketball and baseball at Hartford. I remember one of my dad's teammates was a gentleman by the name of Jim Harrington whom my dad spoke with on the phone on a couple of occasions, and I was able to speak with him one time. He was very pleasant to speak with. I guess Jim was one of the outstanding athletes at U of H in that era. I am pretty sure I have a basketball team photo around somewhere, and if I find it I'll either post it in this thread or send it to you privately.

SwingDog

Reaction Score
Remember your father well, I was a freshman in 1963, an immediate family member was the MBB coach, the varsity on which your father played was a really great cast of characters, many personalities. Lots of fun, beat Trinity (again).

That's pretty incredible! I appreciate you telling me that. So you were a few years behind him. As you know he played basketball and baseball at Hartford. I remember one of my dad's teammates was a gentleman by the name of Jim Harrington whom my dad spoke with on the phone on a couple of occasions, and I was able to speak with him one time. He was very pleasant to speak with. I guess Jim was one of the outstanding athletes at U of H in that era. I am pretty sure I have a basketball team photo around somewhere, and if I find it I'll either post it in this thread or send it to you privately.
UofHbasketballphoto1024_1.jpg

That's my dad (Mike Killiany) in the front row, far right #22. I have no clue what happened to the corner of the photo. I am guessing Jim Harrington is one of the captains but I don't know his jersey number and there are no names- just a photo.

Reaction Score
View attachment 67345
That's my dad (Mike Killiany) in the front row, far right #22. I have no clue what happened to the corner of the photo. I am guessing Jim Harrington is one of the captains but I don't know his jersey number and there are no names- just a photo.

Wow what a great photo thanks! Jim H was truly a great guy, do anything for you, he’s #4, was in the service before he came to U of H, next to him is Brad Wicks, team high scorer, #14 is Jim Pillion who came from Hartford, nice guy, coach was constantly trying to fire him up.

Reaction Score
Yeah the Hartford study expects they'll go from an average of covering 94% of the costs for a student athlete to covering about 57%. In fact the study argues that they should expand sport offerings and rosters, hoping to build their enrollment with paying student athletes. The conferences they list as considering were the Commonwealth Coast, Little East and NEWMAC, with the caveat that the Little East should only be considered if they want to associate with public colleges.

Reaction Score
Hate to say it but it’s an over priced CCSU Really no brand at all. The type of school Covid is crippling
A party school with no parties. This is not a good look in a pandemic.

Reaction Score
That's very similar to the profile of the private school where I teach in CT.
Reason #1 why I'm shopping around for public school jobs this year.
Would love for hints about which school...

Reaction Score
Yeah the Hartford study expects they'll go from an average of covering 94% of the costs for a student athlete to covering about 57%. In fact the study argues that they should expand sport offerings and rosters, hoping to build their enrollment with paying student athletes. The conferences they list as considering were the Commonwealth Coast, Little East and NEWMAC, with the caveat that the Little East should only be considered if they want to associate with public colleges.
I'd go with the NEWMAC... Snotty academics.

SwingDog

Reaction Score
Wow what a great photo thanks! Jim H was truly a great guy, do anything for you, he’s #4, was in the service before he came to U of H, next to him is Brad Wicks, team high scorer, #14 is Jim Pillion who came from Hartford, nice guy, coach was constantly trying to fire him up.
I appreciate the info! Is the coach in the photo a relative of yours? My dad was proud of the Hawks going Division I, and would probably been more so after seeing them make the NCAA Tournament this past season. I guess we'll see what happens from here.

Reaction Score
Yes, close relative. Back in those days the team practiced in Hudson Hall on Hudson St. in Hartford and played home games in whatever high school gym they could find open. Rivalries with Trinity and CCSU were intense, as team went into the 70’s made Div. II tournament several times, drew good crowds, enjoyable MBB.

Reaction Score
They will stay D1 in the end or the school will literally close in 10 years. They need to raise their profile with sports not lower it. If I ever gave a dollar to UHa it would be because of basketball or some other sport. I’m sure many of their alumni feel the same.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
They will stay D1 in the end or the school will literally close in 10 years. They need to raise their profile with sports not lower it. If I ever gave a dollar to UHa it would be because of basketball or some other sport. I’m sure many of their alumni feel the same.
They have been raising their profile for 30 years with division 1 sports. They need to be an attractive option for high schoo kids looking for a college. Being in a low major conference with little success isn’t the answer.

Reaction Score
UHart in the NEWMAC would not hurt. Guess it's time to bring back the rivalry with Trinity.

Reaction Score
Have you seen the membership of the NEWMAC? MIT, Babson, Coast Guard, etc.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
This is my feeling. The 2024 drop down date gives them plenty of time to work it out.

Reaction Score
This is my feeling. The 2024 drop down date gives them plenty of time to work it out.
The shame in this is that even if they stay D1 in the end, they are completely squandering this year's recruiting bounce off the NCAAs by doing this.

Reaction Score
This is just unfathomable. Good for the softball girls. Disgusting bureaucratic move, these poor kids. I just literally can't believe this has gotten this far

Boston U football did the same when they played at UConn right after it was announced that BU was dropping football.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom