OT: - Hartford Athletics Possible Drop to D3 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Hartford Athletics Possible Drop to D3

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
25 years ago, Quinnipiac College was a party school for Long Island and Jersey kids. Many of the QC students could not get into good schools.

With next to zero interest in the Univ of Hartford, I hope the school's low level D1 level student-athletes still continue at that level. If not, it will be surprising for the hoops coach to stick around West Hartford.

Back in my day we'd hit up U-Ha on the way back to Storrs after a night out in Hartford. We called it Yee-Ha because the lady scholars were a lot of fun.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score

Walter Harrison, the chairman of the Committee on Academic Performance and the president of the University of Hartford, said his committee will review the process with an eye toward the future.

"I do not expect us to make any changes retrospectively," he said. "If we make changes -- and I'm not sure that we will make any -- that would be done prospectively, I believe. And I think there's very little chance we're going to change anything."

Good. I hope Hartford rots.

Reaction Score
The AE isn't the same league Hartford joined back in 1985. Gone are Canisius, Niagara, Siena, Colgate, Northeastern, Boston U. Replaced by 3 SUNYs, UMBC, UMass Lowell, and NJIT. They just don't fit and have the smallest following in the league.

What is surprising is how stagnant the university has been when compared to Quinnipiac and even Sacred Heart. QU and SHU joined D-I about 15 years after UHa, but they have grown both academically and athletically the last 20 years. Outside of this NCAA tourney, Hartford hasn't made much of a splash in anything. The have become the forgotten D-I program in the state and have been crowded out.
Thanks for all your input here.

I would argue that UMBC and Stony Brook have been good additions. With Odom heading to Utah State, that'll be a big blow to UMBC (lots of talent has transferred this week), but after their transfer haul Stony Brook might arguably be the 2nd best school in the conference, 2nd to only Vermont.

Your 2nd paragraph is very interesting. I don't know much about Quinnipiac, but I do know that when I applied to colleges in 2004, Quinnipiac was considered kinda a joke (why pay all that money for that school?). Wasn't my personal opinion, just that was the vibe within my high school.

I have been following Sacred Heart's growth. My dad graduated from one of their earliest classes and my sister currently teaches there, so there's a family connection for me. Valentine has been a HUGE addition to the school. His passion and personality has really put Sacred Heart on the local map and they've been building like crazy. FWIW, my sister loves teaching there and talks about all the positive rapport within the school. I started going to SHU basketball games four years ago and although the crowds aren't very big, it's a great environment and the athletes across different squads definitely support one another. It's nice to see.

Reaction Score
Thanks for all your input here.

I would argue that UMBC and Stony Brook have been good additions. With Odom heading to Utah State, that'll be a big blow to UMBC (lots of talent has transferred this week), but after their transfer haul Stony Brook might arguably be the 2nd best school in the conference, 2nd to only Vermont.

Your 2nd paragraph is very interesting. I don't know much about Quinnipiac, but I do know that when I applied to colleges in 2004, Quinnipiac was considered kinda a joke (why pay all that money for that school?). Wasn't my personal opinion, just that was the vibe within my high school.

I have been following Sacred Heart's growth. My dad graduated from one of their earliest classes and my sister currently teaches there, so there's a family connection for me. Valentine has been a HUGE addition to the school. His passion and personality has really put Sacred Heart on the local map and they've been building like crazy. FWIW, my sister loves teaching there and talks about all the positive rapport within the school. I started going to SHU basketball games four years ago and although the crowds aren't very big, it's a great environment and the athletes across different squads definitely support one another. It's nice to see.

I still consider QU an overpriced diploma mill, but you can't argue about their growth and ambitions. They have the polling institute, bought a law school, and expanded its medical programs. Then look at athletics, starting with their facility and ice hockey program. I certainly have no affection for Quinnipiac, but their leadership has done an outstanding job moving them from a safety school for the Boston U. and Northeastern type kids without the academic credentials. They have tried to build themselves in the mold of George Washington University.

And Sacred Heart has taken a totally different approach, but with similar success. Now the largest Catholic University in New England behind Boston College, SHU has tried to adopt the student-centered approach. They offer an Ivy-like number of varsity and club sports. They have partnered with companies in Fairfield County and built on its reputation as a solid, private college. The growth and investments in academics and athletic programs is impressive and it is not the same commuter college it was in the 1970s.

Hartford ... I have nothing. It never really had much of a academic reputation and while it did start D-I program 2 years before CCSU did in the 1980s, it never had the size or alumni support that Central had even at the D-II level. With tuition almost 3x what it costs to go to CCSU and a name on the diploma that carries no stature anywhere, I don't know how UHa has a 5k enrollment today.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I still consider QU an overpriced diploma mill, but you can't argue about their growth and ambitions. They have the polling institute, bought a law school, and expanded its medical programs. Then look at athletics, starting with their facility and ice hockey program. I certainly have no affection for Quinnipiac, but their leadership has done an outstanding job moving them from a safety school for the Boston U. and Northeastern type kids without the academic credentials. They have tried to build themselves in the mold of George Washington University.

And Sacred Heart has taken a totally different approach, but with similar success. Now the largest Catholic University in New England behind Boston College, SHU has tried to adopt the student-centered approach. They offer an Ivy-like number of varsity and club sports. They have partnered with companies in Fairfield County and built on its reputation as a solid, private college. The growth and investments in academics and athletic programs is impressive and it is not the same commuter college it was in the 1970s.

Hartford ... I have nothing. It never really had much of a academic reputation and while it did start D-I program 2 years before CCSU did in the 1980s, it never had the size or alumni support that Central had even at the D-II level. With tuition almost 3x what it costs to go to CCSU and a name on the diploma that carries no stature anywhere, I don't know how UHa has a 5k enrollment today.
My in-laws and wife are all QU grads. My mother in law actually got an associates there back in the day when they handed out both. Father in law played baseball and is active in the sports alumni community (lots of free gear and golf.)

Im not sure about the other options for her parents but my wife was waitlisted at:

UConn
Northeastern
URI
UHart

And rejected from places like BU, Salve Regine

Not to say they’ll let anyone in, but yeah they know their place in the Northeast college pecking list and gladly collect their $60,000 per year from anyone willing to pay it.

Reaction Score

The only thing that comes to mind for UHart are the arts programs. I've heard great things about the Hartt School

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
What's also interesting, it is listed at 200 Bloomfield Ave, West Hartford, but almost the entire campus is in Hartford. Including its satellite cafeteria, The Spigot.
I'd go visit friends there occasionally in the 90's and one of the roads to get to the campus from I-84 is where the governors mansion was and it was by far the worst kept road I've ever been on. Potholes and frost heave galore. I'd hope it's been repaved since then but I can only imagine how many flat tires and bent rims that road caused over the years.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
I knew a very cute girl from HS who went to UHar. The following year, she had a prominent place in the brochure.
Donny Marshall also dated a girl from the hoop team there for a short time. Kelly Prendergast I think was her name.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
Entrepeneur and investor who doesn't understand losing $13m a year is bad business? Feel for the kid but come on
Not everything needs to be considered a "business," or a profit-driven venture. Call it an expense. At what point on college campuses is the line drawn (concerning what a school offers) whether it is viewed as simply something they offer or something they need to make money off of. It's not like it's a public university anyways.

Reaction Score
University of Hartford is in a tough spot. Private school, small endowment, dependent on tuition for revenues, mid tier academics, and located in a region of the country with declining college age population. Schools similar to UHart are in financial trouble all over the country.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I'd go visit friends there occasionally in the 90's and one of the roads to get to the campus from I-84 is where the governors mansion was and it was by far the worst kept road I've ever been on. Potholes and frost heave galore. I'd hope it's been repaved since then but I can only imagine how many flat tires and bent rims that road caused over the years.
That's Prospect Ave, Some amazing old homes and McMansions with views of Hartford on the East side of the street. It's in better shape these days.

Reaction Score
Jennifer Rizzotti was head coach from 1999-2016 and then went to George Washington from 2016-2021. She was let go last month.

Reaction Score
I think the basketball programs are the only scholarship sports at the school? Maybe baseball has a few with some matching schollies in women's sports? And they're still so far in the red they're looking into dropping. The golden era of college sports is almost certainly behind us at this point
Not sure about today, but I was on full scholarship for golf 30 years ago for a year before I transferred to UConn. We had at least 10 guys on full scholarship.

I believe that was the first year or two they had made the move to D1. And ridiculously, I had to sit out a year at UConn. For golf. Such a joke.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score

I’m not saying this because I’m a Fairfield U alum, but I dislike Sacred Heart. Its like a small annoying little brother to Fairfield with worse academics.

In the heirarchy of smaller CT universities, Fairfield is at the top followed by Quinnipiac and Sacred Heart. Hartford is closer to the bottom.

Reaction Score
University of Hartford is in a tough spot. Private school, small endowment, dependent on tuition for revenues, mid tier academics, and located in a region of the country with declining college age population. Schools similar to UHart are in financial trouble all over the country.
That's very similar to the profile of the private school where I teach in CT.

We've had two awful buyouts over the last fifteen years, our endowment is shot and the lack of Country Club Clout makes our school dependent on tuition. A lot of our population might flee the area for a variety of reasons. In 2009-2010, we were at an enrollment of 250, by 15-16 we were at max capacity (450) and now we're back down to 300. Covid actually helped our enrollment a bit (families fleeing from public schools or larger independent schools), but the long-term optics don't look good.

Reason #1 why I'm shopping around for public school jobs this year.

wheelerdog

#OneForTheThumb
Reaction Score
I’m not saying this because I’m a Fairfield U alum, but I dislike Sacred Heart. Its like a small annoying little brother to Fairfield with worse academics.

In the heirarchy of smaller CT universities, Fairfield is at the top followed by Quinnipiac and Sacred Heart. Hartford is closer to the bottom.
Gonzaga 3 forever!!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom