Hartford Athletic - 2021 | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Hartford Athletic - 2021

Reaction Score
You know, you’re right. I can’t tell you how many games I’ve attended over the years because of “the Victorian vibe.” That’s pure marketing genius in the Internet era. I can’t believe I didn’t see it before.

Reaction Score
You know, you’re right. I can’t tell you how many games I’ve attended over the years because of “the Victorian vibe.” That’s pure marketing genius in the Internet era. I can’t believe I didn’t see it before.
Ever notice many teams use sports marketing to market their cities???

I wasn't the one talking about going to games over colors. No need to be melodramatic.

Reaction Score
The Wolf Pack don't wear green and blue and have been in Hartford longer than the Whalers. They must be doing something right. Oh and I don't count when they re-branded as the CT Fail only because it was what else? A failure.

Reaction Score
The Wolf Pack don't wear green and blue and have been in Hartford longer than the Whalers. They must be doing something right. Oh and I don't count when they re-branded as the CT Fail only because it was what else? A failure.
It probably failed because the logo has a blue whale instead of a sperm whale. Can't harpoon whales anymore. So sad. :( (/sarcasm, before any melodramatic posters jump on me.)

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Navy blue and white would have looked incredible and majestic for colors, if you ask me.
Your idea of creativity is navy blue? I'm thinking your favorite ice cream is vanilla.

Reaction Score
Ever notice many teams use sports marketing to market their cities???

I wasn't the one talking about going to games over colors. No need to be melodramatic.
They use the city to market the team, not the other way around. In fact, they'll use anything they can. If they are remotely close to a desireable major city they'll align with it (hence, NY teams that are actually in NJ and the California Angels that became the LA Angels once the suburbs consumed the 30 mile divide) to imply representing the entire metropolitan area. Those that aren't close to a city, aren't thrilled with the reputation/narrow appeal of their city or can't choose in a multi-city area select names that imply regional support (NE Patriots, NY Islanders, Texas Rangers, Golden State Warriors, Minnesota Vikings, etc.). Note that's the region supporting the team, not the team supporting the region. I actually don't know of any team that has as a major goal of their marketing spend being promoting the city or region. Owners and teams are too self-centered for that. Marketing the city is the responsibility of the city development office and the Chamber of Commerce. They might use the presence of sports teams and other attractions as part of that marketing, but that's generally free spin-off marketing for the teams, not something significantly subsized by the owners.

Reaction Score
I really don't really care what HA (or any other team in CT for that matter) has for team colors. I would personally try to forge a new identity but if it makes the supporters happy then cool by me.

What I can't wrap my head around is why a couple of people are so cranked up that they doubling or tripling down on dumping all over it. OK, the Louisville one I get to an extent because it's just an attempt to wind you guys up, and hopefully he'll go away at some point. But other than that I just don't get it.

Reaction Score
Welcome to the internet buttercup!

I've been on the internet since last century and have rarely seen anything as dumb as this thread and your posts in particular. Cheers.

Reaction Score
I love the Whalers homage and the colors. I enjoyed the Whalers, it’s something cool from my childhood. It links HA to history that is bigger than itself and it doesn’t do it in a cheap way.

I don’t know why the stupid AHL team switched, my guess is that as always it wasn’t branding that was holding it back.

The people who are complaining about this are clearly mentally ill and need professional help.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I would personally try to forge a new identity but if it makes the supporters happy then cool by me.
Like how? Navy blue and white? Athletic has forged a new identity.

Reaction Score
Like how? Navy blue and white? Athletic has forged a new identity.
I don't know... I'm not a marketing expert and maybe at the end I would end up in the same place. Like I said, I'm not against the colors or embracing the legacy but I would want to to consider something new. Perhaps they did and at the end they came around to Blue and Green; I'm not in the know as to what the decision process was. Again, if everyone else is happy outside of two people then more power to HA.
My point wasn't if it was a good decision or not but rather why would people get negatively worked up over it?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
My point wasn't if it was a good decision or not but rather why would people get negatively worked up over it?
It could be that worm that crawls in your ear while you sleep and starts eating your brain.

Reaction Score
I've been on the internet since last century and have rarely seen anything as dumb as this thread and your posts in particular. Cheers.
LOL I'm guessing you don't get on Facebook or Twitter, huh? There's more to the internet than just this forum fyi

Reaction Score
OK, the Louisville one I get to an extent because it's just an attempt to wind you guys up, and hopefully he'll go away at some point.
Seriously....you're talking to a bunch of clowns who worship a hockey team that has not existed since 1997. Again I ask, how can anyone support or love a team that is defunct? Anyone? You're in love with the memories in your head. That's it.

Reaction Score
I love the Whalers homage and the colors. I enjoyed the Whalers, it’s something cool from my childhood. It links HA to history that is bigger than itself and it doesn’t do it in a cheap way.

I don’t know why the stupid AHL team switched, my guess is that as always it wasn’t branding that was holding it back.

The people who are complaining about this are clearly mentally ill and need professional help.
Says the ableist and racist.

The irony of this discussion is that it brings out the hypocrisy and double standards of some posters on here. More than one person.

Saying Hartford Athletic should have tried to be creative is one of the dumbest possible things on the internet. That in itself is as dumb as it gets.

Go ahead and worship the green and blue if it makes your life feel more complete. Since I have to repeat myself, I said I have a Whalers flag from the HHOF on my wall. Worth more than your Whalers t shirts.

Speaking of being clearly mentally ill and needing professional help...

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I really don't really care what HA (or any other team in CT for that matter) has for team colors. I would personally try to forge a new identity but if it makes the supporters happy then cool by me.

What I can't wrap my head around is why a couple of people are so cranked up that they doubling or tripling down on dumping all over it. OK, the Louisville one I get to an extent because it's just an attempt to wind you guys up, and hopefully he'll go away at some point. But other than that I just don't get it.
Just happens to be some want to make drama out of an idea. You can see others characterizing me for even bringing up originality. According to some racist loser, it's mentally ill to promote originality. Obviously you agreed with taking a stab at originality. But some apparently can't compehend that originality is OK.

I really couldn't care, not a soccer fan. Just been into sports marketing for a long time.

Reaction Score
Seriously....you're talking to a bunch of clowns who worship a hockey team that has not existed since 1997. Again I ask, how can anyone support or love a team that is defunct? Anyone? You're in love with the memories in your head. That's it.
Worship? No. We just think it's perfectly reasonable to use a great color scheme that has some recognition in the home city. Sure the Whale failed - Hartford isn't really a major league city. But to this day I've spoken to fans in multiple cities that remember the excellence of the logo and uniforms.

Says the ableist and racist.

The irony of this discussion is that it brings out the hypocrisy and double standards of some posters on here. More than one person.

Saying Hartford Athletic should have tried to be creative is one of the dumbest possible things on the internet. That in itself is as dumb as it gets.

Go ahead and worship the green and blue if it makes your life feel more complete. Since I have to repeat myself, I said I have a Whalers flag from the HHOF on my wall. Worth more than your Whalers t shirts.

Speaking of being clearly mentally ill and needing professional help...

There's nothing wrong with thinking they should be creative. But your posts have 2 major problems:
(1) An amazing intolerance for those that happen to like the color scheme; and (2) "Creative" recommendations that border on the absurd. You blasted a scheme based on a major league team that actually played in Hartford during our lifetimes as an uncreative tribute to failure, yet proposed instead basing branding on an obscure Dutch trading post and fort from nearly 400 years ago that lasted fewer years than the Whalers (< 20) before British settlers pushed them out. The only positive I can imagine from that is they could give the stadium a good nickname - "The Trading Post."

Reaction Score
Worship? No. We just think it's perfectly reasonable to use a great color scheme that has some recognition in the home city. Sure the Whale failed - Hartford isn't really a major league city. But to this day I've spoken to fans in multiple cities that remember the excellence of the logo and uniforms.

There's nothing wrong with thinking they should be creative. But your posts have 2 major problems:
(1) An amazing intolerance for those that happen to like the color scheme; and (2) "Creative" recommendations that border on the absurd. You blasted a scheme based on a major league team that actually played in Hartford during our lifetimes as an uncreative tribute to failure, yet proposed instead basing branding on an obscure Dutch trading post and fort from nearly 400 years ago that lasted fewer years than the Whalers (< 20) before British settlers pushed them out. The only positive I can imagine from that is that they could give the stadium a good nickname - "The trading post."
They already call Dillon Stadium "The Fortress". They make scarves in blue and green with that nickname for Dillon, in case you haven't seen.

You ever notice Yale and UConn also use navy blue? I mentioned multiple SUCCESSFUL organizations who use navy blue.

I give up. Serious literacy issues here. I'll drop out of this stupid thread. People can't even read properly.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
They already call Dillon Stadium "The Fortress". They make scarves in blue and green with that nickname for Dillon, in case you haven't seen.
It's "Fortress Hartford", they incorporate the city.

Reaction Score
If they truly want to honor the Whalers they should drop the blue and have the team in a green and white jersey with matching Cooperalls. We might lose half the team on card accumulation but we'd never lose a leg on leg collision.

Reaction Score
Nah. I've met Butch, he's a good dude who loses me sometimes. I think the other guy is 12.
12? You're going to have to go higher than that junior. It's okay if you're 12. This is a kid friendly forum. Not!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom