Hartford Area Hidden Lunch Gems? | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Hartford Area Hidden Lunch Gems?

Reaction Score
I had not been there in many years till last year. I was disappointed they had moved. I remember a more downtown location? When did and why did they move?
News to me. I had a couple maybe 2 summers ago in the old location that I had been going to since 1983.

Reaction Score
News to me. I had a couple maybe 2 summers ago in the old location that I had been going to since 1983.
Looks like they moved to current location in 1982

During the mid-1950's long time owners Arthur Unaris and Nick Sangeloty began running Capitol Lunch. Back then, you could get a hot dog with everything on it for 15 cents. In 1962, Capitol Lunch moved its location to Main Street. For 20 years, Capitol Lunch made a name for itself with its unique set up. People walking by the store could look through the window and see the grill full of hot dogs. Inside, there was a long counter with about 12 stools. Factory workers were known to stop by and take a hundred hot dogs to go at a time! That is what I remember.

In order to accommodate the growing customer base, Capitol Lunch moved to its current location at 510 Main Street. The business still remains in the same family. Today, you can get the same hot dog for a bargain at $1.90…loaded with a slab of yellow mustard, a mound of chopped raw onions, and our Famous Sauce.

Reaction Score

During the mid-1950's long time owners Arthur Unaris and Nick Sangeloty began running Capitol Lunch. Back then, you could get a hot dog with everything on it for 15 cents. In 1962, Capitol Lunch moved its location to Main Street. For 20 years, Capitol Lunch made a name for itself with its unique set up. People walking by the store could look through the window and see the grill full of hot dogs. Inside, there was a long counter with about 12 stools. Factory workers were known to stop by and take a hundred hot dogs to go at a time! That is what I remember.

In order to accommodate the growing customer base, Capitol Lunch moved to its current location at 510 Main Street. The business still remains in the same family. Today, you can get the same hot dog for a bargain at $1.90…loaded with a slab of yellow mustard, a mound of chopped raw onions, and our Famous Sauce.

So I guess all my visits (dating back to 1983) have been to the present location.

So I went to Pollo Guapo in Glastonbury today with a friend. It was outstanding. Nice to have a delicious option a mile from home.

Reaction Score

,Growing up in New Britain, there was a time when I swear Cappy's sauce would show up in my blood test results. In the early 60's that is where my HBHS group would meet after Friday night dates to lie about our conquests.

Reaction Score
I'd like to see someone eat a whole. My sons eat a lot and they're full with a half.
One bit of constructive criticism for Wethersfield Pizza. They’re very nice people who make great food but they really need to get with the times on the cash only policy, especially during Covid. Very few people want to handle dirty cash these days. They have an ATM but it’s a big inconvenience and not a good look for a restaurant.

Reaction Score
One bit of constructive criticism for Wethersfield Pizza. They’re very nice people who make great food but they really need to get with the times on the cash only policy, especially during Covid. Very few people want to handle dirty cash these days. They have an ATM but it’s a big inconvenience and not a good look for a restaurant.
I know plenty of cash restaurants, Bill’s in particular. They aren’t changing and have no reason to. Bill’s also has an atm why isn’t it a good look? It’s very convenient if you forget to bring cash

Reaction Score
I know plenty of cash restaurants, Bill’s in particular. They aren’t changing and have no reason to. Bill’s also has an atm why isn’t it a good look? It’s very convenient if you forget to bring cash
Because it’s a frugal move to save 2-3% in processing costs. It inconveniences customers and they have to pay a fee to take money out of the machine. Taking cards in 2020 is the cost of doing business.

Reaction Score
Lol, you're not going to get Covid from cash.

Reaction Score

Maybe they don’t ring in every grinder.....

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I too blow my nose with money

Reaction Score
Because it’s a frugal move to save 2-3% in processing costs. It inconveniences customers and they have to pay a fee to take money out of the machine. Taking cards in 2020 is the cost of doing business.
You don't care but when you are a busy place and maybe doing $50k/wk that's $4k/ month or almost $50k/yr if you don't like it go elsewhere I can promise you they won't miss you and you will most likely miss them

Reaction Score
You don't care but when you are a busy place and maybe doing $50k/wk that's $4k/ month or almost $50k/yr if you don't like it go elsewhere I can promise you they won't miss you and you will most likely miss them
What a load of crap especially when Angelo's in Glastonbury serves a much better chicken parmesan grinder. It may not be eight layers thick but it's certainly better tasting.

Reaction Score
Haha, a little pizza place is doing 50 k a week? Haha, okay. So on average 7k a day including slow days like Monday and Tuesday? Besides, I work exclusively with small businesses and they pay at most 3% for credit card processing, not 8%! It’s a good place and I’ll remember cash in the future, just think businesses should all be taking cards as an option in 2020.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Mynx

Never been a T T Bar kinda of guy but this place actually has great food.

My girlfriend works there. I'd send a pic but she could get fired if her boss found out she was dating a customer who pays her bills and car loan.

We've been exclusive for almost 7 years and I'm pretty sure we're gonna kiss soon. Wish me luck!

I haven't thought about this thread since I posted this in 2018.

How did it even get resurrected?

More importantly, how much do I need to donate to charity to see 2 of you animals bare knuckle brawl for whose favorite hot grinder is the best?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Haha, a little pizza place is doing 50 k a week? Haha, okay. So on average 7k a day including slow days like Monday and Tuesday? Besides, I work exclusively with small businesses and they pay at most 3% for credit card processing, not 8%! It’s a good place and I’ll remember cash in the future, just think businesses should all be taking cards as an option in 2020.
2% of 200k is 4k who said 8%. I never said they were doing that much but a cash place I know of does do that much. It's not a nothing cost and some places don't need it as an option.

Reaction Score
As someone who grew up in PA, I have to say CT is not a Hot Dog state. I have been disappointed in all the "name" places I have tried here: Blackies, Frankies, Capitol Lunch...... CT is to hot dogs as Floiida is to pizza

Reaction Score
2% of 200k is 4k who said 8%. I never said they were doing that much but a cash place I know of does do that much. It's not a nothing cost and some places don't need it as an option.
I misread it. I think a place doing 50 K a week of highly profitable food like pizza could easily afford to pay 2%. A cash only policy also eliminates the ability to offer services like Uber Eats, Grub Hub etc that are becoming much more popular. If they stay busy with just cash, more power to them.

Reaction Score
I misread it. I think a place doing 50 K a week of highly profitable food like pizza could easily afford to pay 2%. A cash only policy also eliminates the ability to offer services like Uber Eats, Grub Hub etc that are becoming much more popular. If they stay busy with just cash, more power to them.
Restaurants don't like those apps, just another thing that's working against the industry lately.

Reaction Score
They also have to pay a fee to those services. Many restaurants don't want to deal with them either.

Uber eats charges restaurant 30% of their listed prices. So a $50 order costs $15

Door dash charges 20% so $10.

Im not sure you quite understand food costs and the cost of running a restaurant. Margins aren't as great as you think when factoring in food costs, rent, insurance, labor, etc

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom