Harper new Tenn coach?! | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Harper new Tenn coach?!

Reaction Score
I actually hope TN gets better because it's good for the overall health of the SEC. But it's really hard to find an elite coach. The odds are definitely against a dynasty ever rising up again. Alabama football is that rare exception.

Reaction Score
I actually hope TN gets better because it's good for the overall health of the SEC. But it's really hard to find an elite coach. The odds are definitely against a dynasty ever rising up again. Alabama football is that rare exception.

Did you mean to say Clemson?

Reaction Score
I am just glad we have a new coach to start a fresh chapter. It has been a brutal year for LV fans. Plus, all recruits confirmed today that they are staying in orange. Evina might even stay as well. We shall see..

I will say this to UCONN fans. Losing a legend like Pat makes for a really, really hard reality. You can't immediately replace the magic of a legend with another legend. Whenever Geno retires, it will be nearly impossible for anyone to ever do what he has done and is still doing at UCONN.

When he retires, would you prefer an assistant with no head coaching experience take over? A proven elite coach who wants a ton of money but has NO connection to UCONN? Would you want to take a risk on a UCONN legend who has been coaching for a few years and seems to be on the rise? Hard questions to answer.

LV9 So happy for you that the CHW era is over.... it was bad bad really bad.... true... i am more hopeful and positive for you all than many are on Vol Nation..... If she can teach the game and garner respect amongst the players.... then good start....

Looks like Evina may stay.... if so good.... she and Holly apparently had issues.... but my interest is where will she play? what position... May be wrong but when recruited didsnt she have agreement that she would play one position or not play a certain position..... deeper you go into competition the more refined your basketball machine has to be....

Anyway good luck.... With the (my take) less than full commitment to Womens hoops at least financially.... i think Harper was good hire....

Reaction Score
I have a hard time seeing her as a worse overall coach than Holly. What will be interesting is if she can continue to keep top recruits heading to Knoxville. Harper will have a lot to work with next year.

Reaction Score
Holly was nice a person you could hope to ever meet....Perhaps she was too nice. But, it was obvious the woman did not know offensive basketball....

The fan base saw early her offensive limitations and her stubbornness to adapt to the modern game was a 7 year hindrance..........Other than throw the ball to the big girl, that was about it.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Sound like the 2 finalists were Harper and Fargas. Would either have been interviewed for the job were they not Tennessee grads?

Reaction Score
Sound like the 2 finalists were Harper and Fargas. Would either have been interviewed for the job were they not Tennessee grads?

Nope

if you had blind resumes and removed the Tennessee tag, none of them would be given the time of day IMO

Nikki must be in a rage right now that she didn't get the job over Harper. She has literally been pushing for years to get back as a coach at Tennessee. Add insult to injury, her star player Chloe just won Baylor a national title. What a week for her lol

DelectableMelodicFlyinglemur-size_restricted.gif

Last edited:
Reaction Score
When Geno retires, you guys will interview former players, and his assistants too...Just the way it is/was/will be...

Fargas is Holly's best friend...Although, if interviewed, I don't think she was ever a serious candidate...

Kellie is home now...The rest of the story will be determined on the basketball court....So let it be written, so let it be done.

Reaction Score
Nope

if you had blind resumes and removed the Tennessee tag, none of them would be given the time of day IMO

Nikki must be in a rage right now that she didn't get the job over Harper. She has literally been pushing for years to get back as a coach at Tennessee. Add insult to injury, her star player Chloe just won Baylor a national title. What a week for her lol

DelectableMelodicFlyinglemur-size_restricted.gif

If Banghart from Princeton, FLJ from Buffalo, Smith from Elon, or Coach Abe from UCF were Tennessee grads, they would've have been seriously considered for the job. Harper will have more to work with and have more support than she had when she was at NC State.

LesMis89

Dedicated Lurker
Reaction Score
When Geno retires, you guys will interview former players, and his assistants too...Just the way it is/was/will be...

Fargas is Holly's best friend...Although, if interviewed, I don't think she was ever a serious candidate...

Kellie is home now...The rest of the story will be determined on the basketball court....So let it be written, so let it be done.

You are projecting what has happened at Tennessee twice onto UConn's future which makes it totally theoretical but you state it as an absolute.

Giving former players & assistants an interview is one thing. Seriously considering them and then hiring them is something else entirely.

Reaction Score
You are projecting what has happened at Tennessee twice onto UConn's future which makes it totally theoretical but you state it as an absolute.

Giving former players & assistants an interview is one thing. Seriously considering them and then hiring them is something else entirely.

When any coach retires, or is fired, there is usually a search conducted for a replacement, is that not so? Is that not an absolute? The future of any sports program is never set in solid concrete, but often founded in the shifting sands of time, with it's many variables of chance ....

UConn may reinvent the wheel when Geno retires...So be it, if you guys do.

LesMis89

Dedicated Lurker
Reaction Score
No reinventing the wheel at all.

I made a distinction between interviewing and hiring. Neither Harper nor Fargas have coaching resumes that merit àn interview for a program holding the distinction of Tennessee except as alumni. But it wouldn't be the first courtesy interview ever conducted.

But hiring either of them is a different matter. Harper may surprise. I'm sure she'll do her best.

However, as a UConn fan, the hiring pleases me.

Reaction Score
No reinventing the wheel at all.

I made a distinction between interviewing and hiring. Neither Harper nor Fargas have coaching resumes that merit àn interview for a program holding the distinction of Tennessee except as alumni. But it wouldn't be the first courtesy interview ever conducted.

But hiring either of them is a different matter. Harper may surprise. I'm sure she'll do her best.

However, as a UConn fan, the hiring pleases me.

Then we agree on something, which is always a positive thing.

Reaction Score
I want to know if that coach Jumper chap gets any residuals for being the inspiration for this ad campaign?
hqdefault.jpg

Reaction Score
LV9 So happy for you that the CHW era is over.... it was bad bad really bad.... true... i am more hopeful and positive for you all than many are on Vol Nation..... If she can teach the game and garner respect amongst the players.... then good start....

Looks like Evina may stay.... if so good.... she and Holly apparently had issues.... but my interest is where will she play? what position... May be wrong but when recruited didsnt she have agreement that she would play one position or not play a certain position..... deeper you go into competition the more refined your basketball machine has to be....

Anyway good luck.... With the (my take) less than full commitment to Womens hoops at least financially.... i think Harper was good hire....
Thanks buddy! I always enjoy your posts. It's hard to even read Volnation. LOL some of those fans have no clue. we shall see about evina. i believe holly told her she could play PG but i am not 100% sure. i watched the press conference today. kellie and holly could not be more different. kellie has a natural enduring head coach quality. unfortunately, can't same the same about holly. i wish her the best though. time will heal a lot of the wounds. winning will help too! ha.

Reaction Score
Whole team and Evina all at coaches press conference today. Have heard both that Evina and the whole team is staying, but have also heard could be 1-2 transfers. Leaning more towards all staying but time will tell soon.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Husband assistants are not all that weird - or at least unusual. June Daugherty had her husband at her Washington gigs, U of A's assistant coach Salvatore Coppa is Mr. Adia Barnes. I can assure you, he isn't running her team, but he will get up and whisper to her, something you don't see the other assistant coaches do. One of our opponents in the WNIT had (I think) a husband and wife, and there have been and are others.

The one I find odd is Tennessee softball with a husband and wife co-head coach. Who's the boss?
Even odder is Tennessee has an nepotism rule that will need to be waive for her to hire her husband! :confused:

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
Coach Jumper desired to be on the support staff of the new hire....He is a good guy that has a vast knowledge of basketball.....
Yeah and all you have to do is ask him and he'll tell and tell you and tell you...Head bang

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
That really invites bad karma to wish poor outcomes for others. We'll see how UConn does when Geno retires and being stuck in the American conference.
The bad blood between the programs is ancient history.
NO it isn't. given the stupidity that happens over on VN, I doubt there will ever NOT be bad blood, especially when UT continues it's march into irrelevance. We have long memories here....

Reaction Score

Saw the intro presser just now.... very good job KJH.... I especially liked that even though I thought very little of Holly's coaching acumen.... Kellie was still kind gracious and loyal.... says a lot about her....

KJH fielded all questions.... never got rattled.... the questions were polite, but still a solid job.....

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom