Harper new Tenn coach?! | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Harper new Tenn coach?!

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
I believe that approx a $500 K Raiser per year.

Reaction Score
So, Fargas was the runner up for the job. Tennessee sure can Tennessee a coaching search. Neither is an offensive guru coach. Seems like Candace Parker could've gotten the job if she wanted it. Nostalgia is still Tennesse's downfall.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
While the coach that replaces an icon often fails due to high expectations, the next one to come in has a lower bar and less pressure. Not sure how this will work out for Lady Vols but wish you the best. One of the great fan bases for women's basketball.
North Carolina men had 2 bad hires after Dean Smith, and finally got a proven coach. in Roy. Always go for someone who has proven ability somewhere else.

Reaction Score
Most fans are happy first and foremost that Holly is gone. Literally anyone would be an upgrade over her, so I dont see any fans wishing we kept Holly in favor of Kellie.

Most fans also recognize that Tennessee wasnt willing to shell out big bucks so we didnt have a chance at a top hire. Somewhat disappointing considering how storied our program is and it shows that our AD doesnt prioritize women's basketball.

In regards to KJH, most fans (including myself) recognize that she wouldn't even be a candidate if she wasnt an alum who had a nice Sweet 16 run. Her team wasnt making the NCAAs if they didnt win their conference tourney. When you look at her resume flat out, she has experience and has done well with two mid majors, is a famous alum and is coming off a Cinderella Sweet 16 run. Not a bad resume, but not worthy to take over a program like Tennessee.

Breaking down her coaching style, it looks like her teams arent very strong offensively and are traditional old school Tennessee teams: defend well, rebound well, play hard but not a great A/TO ratio and low shooting percentages. That style of play worked 10-20 years ago, but it doesnt today at high levels. Look at the Final Four squads the past two years, all of them ran great offenses. I'm not sold on the fact that Jolly can get Tennessee to that level.

Overall, from my standpoint I am a bit underwhelmed by the hire but am thrilled we are going with someone other than Holly. I'll fully support Kellie and wish her all the best.

Yeah bbn90, Congrats on taking a step up from Holly.... I don't know about KJH... you all may be surprised.... I have not seen her coach.... but upgrade from HW and fresh start.... those are two things that are good.... Good luck to ur LVs

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
I guess the real test will be after TN loses their 1st game under KJH. At the press conference if she hangs her head, throws her team under the bus and says something like, “We’ve just got to play harder,” LV fans will know they hired the wrong person.
Her first bad loss will be the one that tells

Reaction Score
Husband assistants are not all that weird - or at least unusual. June Daugherty had her husband at her Washington gigs, U of A's assistant coach Salvatore Coppa is Mr. Adia Barnes. I can assure you, he isn't running her team, but he will get up and whisper to her, something you don't see the other assistant coaches do. One of our opponents in the WNIT had (I think) a husband and wife, and there have been and are others.

The one I find odd is Tennessee softball with a husband and wife co-head coach. Who's the boss?
Jennifer Rizzotti's husband Bill Sullivan was her assistant at Hartford, and is currently her assistant at George Washington.

Reaction Score
I had no idea his only coaching jobs came from serving under Harper for her coaching career. That what's being said on VN.So it's safe to say that UT hired not one but two sub par coaches to run that mess of a program. Can you fire your significant other? How would that work?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I am just glad we have a new coach to start a fresh chapter. It has been a brutal year for LV fans. Plus, all recruits confirmed today that they are staying in orange. Evina might even stay as well. We shall see..

I will say this to UCONN fans. Losing a legend like Pat makes for a really, really hard reality. You can't immediately replace the magic of a legend with another legend. Whenever Geno retires, it will be nearly impossible for anyone to ever do what he has done and is still doing at UCONN.

When he retires, would you prefer an assistant with no head coaching experience take over? A proven elite coach who wants a ton of money but has NO connection to UCONN? Would you want to take a risk on a UCONN legend who has been coaching for a few years and seems to be on the rise? Hard questions to answer.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I am just glad we have a new coach to start a fresh chapter. It has been a brutal year for LV fans. Plus, all recruits confirmed today that they are staying in orange. Evina might even stay as well. We shall see..

I will say this to UCONN fans. Losing a legend like Pat makes for a really, really hard reality. You can't immediately replace the magic of a legend with another legend. Whenever Geno retires, it will be nearly impossible for anyone to ever do what he has done and is still doing at UCONN.

When he retires, would you prefer an assistant with no head coaching experience take over? A proven elite coach who wants a ton of money but has NO connection to UCONN? Would you want to take a risk on a UCONN legend who has been coaching for a few years and seems to be on the rise? Hard questions to answer.
We don't have to worry because UConn fans have decided that under no circumstances will we ever let Geno retire....:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Congrats! As a UCONN fan Fargas was my first choice, but Harper was my 2nd choice. May they enjoy many more years of mediocrity!
That really invites bad karma to wish poor outcomes for others. We'll see how UConn does when Geno retires and being stuck in the American conference.
The bad blood between the programs is ancient history.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
We thought the same thing about Pat. It doesn’t always turn out how we think it will.
Sadly, nothing is forever. Unlike some here on the BY, I truly miss those classic battles between Pat's LV's and Geno's Huskies. Games vs ND, Louisville, SC, Baylor or whomever just don't have quite the same feel.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
That really invites bad karma to wish poor outcomes for others. We'll see how UConn does when Geno retires and being stuck in the American conference. The bad blood between the programs is ancient history.
No it's not. You are free spout your opinions on the board, but many UCONN fans will never root for anything good to happen to Tennessee. And you want to talk bad Karma, it's 10X worse on Vol nation so feel free to go over there lecture your own fans instead of ours.

Reaction Score
I think most LV fans miss Pat the person more than the wins. I remember going to a game after she retired and had a very hard time walking. At halftime, my sister and her baby were in line right behind Pat. Pat saw them and absolutely insisted that they go ahead of her in line. Mind you, this is at the court that has her name on it and while she is ill. Such a good person and irreplaceable. I just wish the new coach good luck and will be there to support all of them.

Reaction Score
Sadly, nothing is forever. Unlike some here on the BY, I truly miss those classic battles between Pat's LV's and Geno's Huskies. Games vs ND, Louisville, SC, Baylor or whomever just don't have quite the same feel.
Amen Brother! BATTLES that truly elevated the game.

ocoandasoc

Fan of MizzoUConn
Reaction Score
Harper will apparently keep the new recruits (at least for now). With Westbrook gone PG could be an issue... but Harper was a pretty good point guard herself.

Harper is a much better coach than Warlick and she should have a decent year. (Heck, if she beats UConn or even gives them a good game she'll be a hero). I'd predict a 20+ win season, third in the SEC, and NCAA Sweet 16. And that will be enough to keep the fans relatively happy. Over-performing those numbers would make them ecstatic!

Add 15 points over the season in a few key games and the LV's would have won 24 games. A coach that could motivate and make adjustments on the fly could easily have had that team challenging for the Elite Eight. If Westbrook should decide to stay (doubtful) this team might be an elite eight contender by next March.

If Harper develops this year's recruits (and polishes a couple of last year's) her second year should be decent as well. After that, the key will be how she is able to recruit the five stars -- new territory for her. But the Tennessee name still has a lot of weight, especially for players in the South.

Concerns among the most knowledgeable TN fans are recruiting and also the offense she'll install. But I'm not sure it's fair to judge Harper by the rather lackluster sets she used at Missouri State when you consider the level of talent she had. What TN fans are most looking forward to is the discipline they feel she'll bring, how she'll be able to develop players. and the whole new reset of the program that they feel is so badly needed.

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
I think she'd be a fun personality to have on the SEC sidelines. She's the head coach version of Cunningham. Has energy and spunk, and always fiery on the sidelines.

I realize that doesn't win you games, but its all entertainment for my SEC viewing self. Personally speaking, Holly Warlick was just dull. Come on now. She's that woman with super big goggles to me. But not very interesting otherwise.

As for the merits of Harper's coaching....we wont really know until we have a legitimate sample size to evaluate , but its not like Tennessee had a lot of options, this was the best they could do. I guess they'll just have to wait and see. If she is just a slight upgrade to Holly, its not like she's coming in for a major rebuild job. Tennessee has a roster full of players that can immediately shake up the SEC in as little as a year. People think South Carolina will rise up next year. I happen to think Tennessee's ceiling is even larger provided all those resources and potential.

I also find it interesting she's so underpaid. I know people are gonna say that she can't have salary demands yet, but I saw her salary numbers and immediately raised by eyebrows at that measly change for a head coach in an elite women's basketball institution like Tennessee. Just my personal take on the matter.

Reaction Score
I think she'd be a fun personality to have on the SEC sidelines. She's the head coach version of Cunningham. Has energy and spunk, and always fiery on the sidelines.

I realize that doesn't win you games, but its all entertainment for my SEC viewing self. Personally speaking, Holly Warlick was just dull. Come on now. She's that woman with super big goggles to me. But not very interesting otherwise.

As for the merits of Harper's coaching....we wont really know until we have a legitimate sample size to evaluate , but its not like Tennessee had a lot of options, this was the best they could do. I guess they'll just have to wait and see. If she is just a slight upgrade to Holly, its not like she's coming in for a major rebuild job. Tennessee has a roster full of players that can immediately shake up the SEC in as little as a year. People think South Carolina will rise up next year. I happen to think Tennessee's ceiling is even larger provided all those resources and potential.

I also find it interesting she's so underpaid. I know people are gonna say that she can't have salary demands yet, but I saw her salary numbers and immediately raised by eyebrows at that measly change for a head coach in an elite women's basketball institution like Tennessee. Just my personal take on the matter.

She has to prove herself first before she can make salary demands. I also think that Tennessee kept Holly a little to long. She should have been fired two or three years ago.

Reaction Score
Will Westbrook stay or will she go? (A slight paraphrase of a Clash song). I think that depends on what bites she gets from which programs now that she has placed herself in the transfer portal. It also depends on what her relationship is with the others on her team. If the coaching was the only issue and she otherwise got along with her team mates she may well stay if the new coach strikes the right note with her.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom