Harper new Tenn coach?! | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Harper new Tenn coach?!

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Husband assistants are not all that weird - or at least unusual. Nor are coaches and their spouses and significant others.

The one I find odd is Tennessee softball with a husband and wife co-head coach. Who's the boss? You are not married. Am I right? Of course I am!

wbball novice

That bandwagon guy
Reaction Score
Tenn had to pay their men's basketball coach a mountain of money to keep UCLA from poaching him. Harper should be quite affordable due to her relative youth and a relatively obscure conference. Appears there are some issues with the role of her husband. The AD can get a pass from the fans due to her place in the program's history.

I can only go with the one game I've seen that she's coached, Missouri State - Stanford during the tournament. Unfortunately, it was the worst women's basketball game I've seen at that level in a national tournament, and I'm not sure I've seen anything worse on the conference networks, and there were plenty of Lady Vol games on SEC to watch if you're a masochist. It was unclear whether either team's defense was functioning because the offense was so embarrassing. Stanford might have had some excuse because their 3 pt shot wasn't working, but Missouri State repeatedly missed at point blank range for most of the game. The team had not been prepared for the big moment and sometimes looked like a middle school team. I was puzzled at Missouri State's offensive ineptitude in particular because their assistant coach was Jackie Stiles, the premier shooter of her generation in college.

I'm not optimistic, but good luck to her, until the Orange play UConn. I do believe that if she has any initial success, it will be due to Holly Warlick's recruitment classes.

Reaction Score
Coach Jumper is gonna be extremely disappointed. :rolleyes:

Coach Jumper desired to be on the support staff of the new hire....He is a good guy that has a vast knowledge of basketball.....

Reaction Score
Most fans are happy first and foremost that Holly is gone. Literally anyone would be an upgrade over her, so I dont see any fans wishing we kept Holly in favor of Kellie.

Most fans also recognize that Tennessee wasnt willing to shell out big bucks so we didnt have a chance at a top hire. Somewhat disappointing considering how storied our program is and it shows that our AD doesnt prioritize women's basketball.

In regards to KJH, most fans (including myself) recognize that she wouldn't even be a candidate if she wasnt an alum who had a nice Sweet 16 run. Her team wasnt making the NCAAs if they didnt win their conference tourney. When you look at her resume flat out, she has experience and has done well with two mid majors, is a famous alum and is coming off a Cinderella Sweet 16 run. Not a bad resume, but not worthy to take over a program like Tennessee.

Breaking down her coaching style, it looks like her teams arent very strong offensively and are traditional old school Tennessee teams: defend well, rebound well, play hard but not a great A/TO ratio and low shooting percentages. That style of play worked 10-20 years ago, but it doesnt today at high levels. Look at the Final Four squads the past two years, all of them ran great offenses. I'm not sold on the fact that Jolly can get Tennessee to that level.

Overall, from my standpoint I am a bit underwhelmed by the hire but am thrilled we are going with someone other than Holly. I'll fully support Kellie and wish her all the best.

Thanks for the input

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Coach Jumper desired to be on the support staff of the new hire....He is a good guy that has a vast knowledge of basketball.....
bd3a5d38cbbb5ef5c39c15c63810fb8970bedddf2122976517b75fb9725a7a2f.jpg

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
You had me at, "to UConn very soon"

Jordan Horston to UConn very soon

Boy, would some attitudes and hopes for the near future change around here if this comes to pass. Since her reveal, she has not been in UConn's future plans. Regardless, I for one would certainly welcome Horston to the fold should she have a change of heart.

Last edited by a moderator:

Carnac

Reaction Score
Not happening. All of Tennessee's recruits are staying.

Inquiring minds want to know............are you guessing here or do you have "concrete" factual evidence they're all staying? :rolleyes: Either way, announcements should be made in the next couple of weeks. We won't have to wait very long for the other shoe to drop.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I can only go with the one game I've seen that she's coached, Missouri State - Stanford during the tournament. Unfortunately, it was the worst women's basketball game I've seen at that level in a national tournament, and I'm not sure I've seen anything worse on the conference networks, and there were plenty of Lady Vol games on SEC to watch if you're a masochist. It was unclear whether either team's defense was functioning because the offense was so embarrassing. Stanford might have had some excuse because their 3 pt shot wasn't working, but Missouri State repeatedly missed at point blank range for most of the game. The team had not been prepared for the big moment and sometimes looked like a middle school team. I was puzzled at Missouri State's offensive ineptitude in particular because their assistant coach was Jackie Stiles, the premier shooter of her generation in college.

I think that's a bit exaggerated....keep in mind, not too long ago an undefeated UCONN team was down 20-12 at halftime against Stanford. The previous 3 games Missouri State scored 69 against #13 Iowa State, 89 vs. #24 DePaul and 94 vs. #21 Drake. The Stanford game was bad but it was their worst game of the season so I don't put a ton of credibility into it. I don't think she's an offensive whiz but her program on the whole is much better than they showed that day.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I've never been able to understand what the attraction would have been for Walz? He's already a #1 seed coach at Louisville, a school that's as well known, if not more so, in many ways than Tennessee. What is the upside for him to go to a failing program with personality problems at which he will always be beneath the stature of Summitt?.
Maybe it's his dream job? He grew up in Kentucky so it's not impossible that he closely followed and admired Pat, her program, and what she built. If that's true, he obviously has terrible taste!! ;)

mtsuraider06

Tennessee Devotee
Reaction Score
Inquiring minds want to know..are you guessing here or do you have "concrete" factual evidence they're all staying? :rolleyes: Either way, announcements should be made in the next couple of weeks. We won't have to wait very long for the other shoe to drop.

They are staying.

mtsuraider06

Tennessee Devotee
Reaction Score
Maybe it's his dream job? He grew up in Kentucky so it's not impossible that he closely followed and admired Pat, her program, and what she built. If that's true, he obviously has terrible taste!! ;)

Tennessee was never interested in Jeff Walz. Tennessee wasn't interested in Jeff Walz in 2012 when he was lobbying behind the scenes after Pat retired. Tennessee wasn't interested in 2016 when again, he was lobbying for the job while Holly was still employed. His people put out the story that he would be hired this year as well, also while Holly was still employed. There are several threads on VN that go into why he was never going to be considered.

mtsuraider06

Tennessee Devotee
Reaction Score
Fine, corroborate your comment.

Their parents have said so, both on Twitter and to Coach Harper and Phil Fulmer. It was all done behind the scenes. It's on twitter as well.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Their parents have said so, both on Twitter and to Coach Harper and Phil Fulmer. It was all done behind the scenes. It's on twitter as well.

Link?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Tennessee was never interested in Jeff Walz. Tennessee wasn't interested in Jeff Walz in 2012 when he was lobbying behind the scenes after Pat retired. Tennessee wasn't interested in 2016 when again, he was lobbying for the job while Holly was still employed. His people put out the story that he would be hired this year as well, also while Holly was still employed. There are several threads on VN that go into why he was never going to be considered.
Oh wow. Well that's great news indeed. Harper won't lead Tennessee anywhere, really. Walz is a tremendous coach who would have elevated the program back to the upper echelon of WCBB.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Evidently you know something that the Knox News does not, as they just published a story today asking the question whether or not KJH will be able to hold onto this year’s recruiting class.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Husband assistants are not all that weird - or at least unusual. June Daugherty had her husband at her Washington gigs, U of A's assistant coach Salvatore Coppa is Mr. Adia Barnes. I can assure you, he isn't running her team, but he will get up and whisper to her, something you don't see the other assistant coaches do. One of our opponents in the WNIT had (I think) a husband and wife, and there have been and are others.

The one I find odd is Tennessee softball with a husband and wife co-head coach. Who's the boss?

Also the Wynns at Washington and Fortiers at Gonzaga.

When June was at UW to my eye it looked like Mike was often running the huddle during time outs.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Oh wow. Well that's great news indeed. Harper won't lead Tennessee anywhere, really. Walz is a tremendous coach who would have elevated the program back to the upper echelon of WCBB.

Of course he would have but a segment of the Vol fans think he's a cheater because, well, he surely did something wrong at some point with respect to some recruit and Pat would disapprove because she never did anything wrong when it came to recruiting despite what's been written. Capiche? Good.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
[B]Bret McCormick[/B]‏ @[B]ASGR1995[/B] 2m2 minutes ago
More
Kellie Harper inks 5 year deal to be Tennessee’s new Head Coach.
TENNESSEE TABS HARPER TO RETURN HOME, LEAD LADY VOLS
UT Director of Athletics Phillip Fulmer has announced 1999 UT graduate and women's basketball standout Kellie (Jolly) Harper as the new head coach of the Lady Vols.
utsports.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom