Happy 40th The Big East | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Happy 40th The Big East

Reaction Score
The ACC is doing great...the most watched regular pre tourney games last season had UNC, Duke, Virginia playing.

The two highest ratings were both Duke-UNC rivalry games...

I am sure that some old ACC fans miss the pre 1992 Tobacco Road where Carolina almost constituted the compact little conference.

The ACC is better today...FSU, VT, Louisville all played together in the Metro Conference...and now in the ACC.
The ACC is doing fine, but to many ACC fans it’s not its former great self. Its identity is blurred.

It’s an ACC - Metro - Big East Frankenstein. The money is there, but money doesn’t always buy happiness.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The ACC is doing fine, but to many ACC fans it’s not its former great self. It’s identity is blurred.

It’s an ACC - Metro - Big East Frankenstein. The money is there, but money doesn’t always buy happiness.
Yeah, but it can be a great down payment.

Reaction Score
The Big East is like an old spinster going through her scrapbook, whistfully fingering a dried up corsage while thinking of days when the world was hers.
UConn is back home!!!

hahaha, I LOVE IT!

Reaction Score
Just for the record, I'll eat my crow. This is going to be a weird run but whatever.

Reaction Score
I not only think that going to the Big East was a good move for UConn....short of being good in the AAC, it was the only move.

A good basketball conference....

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
I thought that this was an interesting way to look at the competition in our new conference:

Reaction Score
I not only think that going to the Big East was a good move for UConn....short of being good in the AAC, it was the only move.

A good basketball conference....
Hahaha! Revisionist History!!! Read your blather about the Big East when you thought the move back would never happen! I Love It!

This is a great day for UConn and the Big East! Billybud, even the blowhard naysayers are welcome along for the celebration. It’s ok to flip flop, just don’t pretend you were enlightened before the move!

Reaction Score
Zissou...I don't care for the Big East because I have a difficult time finding their football on TV down here. And to a football guy, a conference without football is a minor conference.

I am not as rosy as some on this board about the Huskies chances to rise above a top 50 program in football...

It was a good basketball move to move to a known basketball conference with some history and a local region.....UConn was dieing the death of 1,000 cuts in the AAC. And football has a better chance as an independent then getting beaten by the AAC.

As I have said...The Big East has some decent teams in BB...in terms of NCAA tourney success...they have been thin but a few teams go deep since UConn left.

Reaction Score
“UConn would love to be in the Big East”
Would they (UConn the University) ?

I guess if UConn decides that they can not compete with Memphis, Houston, UCF, et al in basketball, and are in danger of losing their basketball culture...it could be a move.

Reaction Score
Zissou...I don't care for the Big East because I have a difficult time finding their football on TV down here. And to a football guy, a conference without football is a minor conference.

You also have not seen good FSU football on TV in a long time! “As a football guy” and an FSU fan, I’d suggest you give Hoops a try.

Reaction Score
Oh blather...only four seasons back, FSU beat Michigan in the Orange Bowl.....and will be back....just like UConn will come back in round ball.

I do watch some basketball...

UConn made the right choice...because it was really the only choice to make....I understand the "whys".

But..when you are facing the swords or the choice of walking the plank...you do what you have to do. It was a sure death in the AAC.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
It was a good basketball move to move to a known basketball conference with some history and a local region
Lol

Reaction Score
Oh blather...only four seasons back, FSU beat Michigan in the Orange Bowl.....and will be back....just like UConn will come back in round ball.

I do watch some basketball...

UConn made the right choice...because it was really the only choice to make....I understand the "whys".

But..when you are facing the swords or the choice of walking the plank...you do what you have to do. It was a sure death in the AAC.
Jimbo’s gone! FSU spiraled!

Your tune on the Big East has changed for the better. Welcome into the light.

Reaction Score
Oh Ziss....you are what you are and I am what I am...Is it OK if I am not a Big East cheerleader?

An east coast non football league like the league that Gonzaga plays in out west....nice basketball and a springboard for the tournament.

IMHO, UConn's fortune lies in how they do as an independent in football. I expext that the Huskies will be back in basketball very soon.....

Reaction Score
Oh Ziss....you are what you are and I am what I am...Is it OK if I am not a Big East cheerleader?

An east coast non football league like the league that Gonzaga plays in out west....nice basketball and a springboard for the tournament.

IMHO, UConn's fortune lies in how they do as an independent in football. I expext that the Huskies will be back in basketball very soon.....
Down play it all you want. The Big East delivers basketball. We are a conference of Champions, and UConn back returns that history. It’s a boost to have 2 blue bloods in the conference.

Few is great, but for all his success that conference is not on the same level of the Big East.

Zags Hoops > FSU Hoops, so maybe when you are looking up with a strained neck it’s hard to see the difference.

Reaction Score
Billybud is correct. The move of UConn to the Big East is a lateral move. It is certainly better than being in the AAC for many reasons, but it is certainly not as good as being a member of a P5 football conference. I suspect that if UConn was offered a spot in a P5 Conference, they would come up with the payout in a heartbeat. Nonetheless, given that a P5 invite is pretty much out of the question, this is a tolerable move and hopefully UConn basketball will thrive.

Reaction Score
Billybud is correct. The move of UConn to the Big East is a lateral move. It is certainly better than being in the AAC for many reasons, but it is certainly not as good as being a member of a P5 football conference. I suspect that if UConn was offered a spot in a P5 Conference, they would come up with the payout in a heartbeat. Nonetheless, given that a P5 invite is pretty much out of the question, this is a tolerable move and hopefully UConn basketball will thrive.
You suspect? Lol, I suspect as well.

Reaction Score
You suspect? Lol, I suspect as well.
I just the UConn blog on how it got to the Big East. Aside from the bad TV deal, it appears that UConn itself has now given up on a P5 invite. If that is the case, then indeed to move to the Big East was the correct one for UConn to make.

Reaction Score
If Bama says “let’s share our pile of cash with UConn” you are going to take it.

Outside of getting a P5 cash option that didn’t materialize, UConn landed in a very logical position.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
If Bama says “let’s share our pile of cash with UConn” you are going to take it.

Outside of getting a P5 cash option that didn’t materialize, UConn landed in a very logical position.
After giving you a rash for stih for 3+ years, I hate that I now have to agree with you.

On the other hand (provided it is a bird that can be smoked), crow never taste so good.

Reaction Score

Zissou, I'm curious. Why did 'Nova turn down the opportunity to upgrade football and join oBE football?

Reaction Score
I just the UConn blog on how it got to the Big East. Aside from the bad TV deal, it appears that UConn itself has now given up on a P5 invite. If that is the case, then indeed to move to the Big East was the correct one for UConn to make.
That's not the purpose of going independent....

:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
That's not the purpose of going independent....

:rolleyes:
UConn had no choice but to go independent. The AAC didn't want UConn for football only. Thus, the decision was made to go independent once the Big East move was decided upon. I am as sorry as you are Butch, but it really seems the P5 dream is essentially over.

Reaction Score
UConn had no choice but to go independent. The AAC didn't want UConn for football only. Thus, the decision was made to go independent once the Big East move was decided upon. I am as sorry as you are Butch, but it really seems the P5 dream is essentially over.
I understand what you are saying, but the P5 dream is not over. UConn is in the midst of a football nightmare, and a restless night's sleep on other sports. Once we return to being competitive nationally in men's basketball, football, etc., we may become again a likely contender for a P5 conference. P5 like all the others out there are going to be going through some financial challenges given COVID-19. We just don't know how things will turn out, but new conference realignment is definitely a possibility. One bigger challenge is that the state doesn't mess up if UConn is in the running for membership in the ACC, B10, etc.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom