Happy 40th The Big East | The Boneyard

Happy 40th The Big East

Reaction Score
Untitled-1.png

Reaction Score

Looks like the Big East had a 40th Birthday party. If the AAC claims this history, why didn’t the AAC have a 40th Birthday party?

Maybe it’s because that “history claim” was to make it look like the AAC got something from the Big East in the conference split when in fact it really got nothing. Either way, the old Big East is dead and neither the current Big East or the AAC can really call itself the old Big East. The new Big East does have more longtime Big East members than the AAC, but that’s about the only one up it has in making the claim.

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
The Big East is dead. It succumed to death by a thousand cuts. An imposter is running around claiming to be the Big East, but it's a charade.

And the thing is, so is Villanova basketball. @Zissou just doesn’t know it yet.

Reaction Score
Tulsa has just signed a 8 year contract with Oklahoma State for a home-and-home series. For football.

We really should jump at the chance to join the the New Big East.

Reaction Score
Count me among the UConn fans that wishes that Herbst and Benedict would negotiate UConn into the Big East.

UConn needs rivalries. The AAC ain’t getting it done.

Reaction Score
Count me among the UConn fans that wishes that Herbst and Benedict would negotiate UConn into the Big East.

UConn needs rivalries. The AAC ain’t getting it done.
Um, Herbst is gone. You're behind in time.

The AAC has made clear it's a developmental conference, as of now. Development for what? Move on up to stronger all sports conferences. Geez.

Reaction Score
Conferences without football are not really conferences anymore. $ talks, and it will get worse.

Reaction Score
Could Lawrence Moten’s Big East scoring record be in jeopardy next season?

Markus Howard, a junior guard at Marquette University, could pass Moten as the Big East’s career scoring leader next season.

Howard has scored 1,070 points in Big East play during his first three years at Marquette. That puts him just 335 points behind Moten.

“If he breaks the record,’’ Moten said in an interview on Monday, “I want to be there to give him the game ball.’’

Reaction Score
And the thing is, so is Villanova basketball. @Zissou just doesn’t know it yet.

That’s silly.

College Basketball 2019-2020 Preseason Top 25

With a top 5 recruiting class, we just reload.

4. VILLANOVA
  • WHO’S GONE: Eric Paschall, Phil Booth, Jahvon Quinerly
  • WHO’S BACK: Jermaine Samuels, Cole Swider, Saddiq Bey, Collin Gillespie, Dhamir Cosby-Rountree, Brandon Slater
  • WHO’S COMING IN: Bryan Antoine, Jeremiah Robinson-Earl, Justin Moore, Eric Dixon
  • PROJECTED STARTERS: Collin Gillespie, Bryan Antoine, Saddiq Bey, Jermaine Samuels, Jeremiah Robinson-Earl

Reaction Score
Yep...Nova did win a first round game last year before Purdue blew them out by 26 points.

Could be at that level this year.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
But....If your projected starters end up being the lineup...OUCH

Smallish....

Gillespie...6'2
Antoine.....6'5
Bey............6'6
Samuels....6'5
Robinson-Earl...6'9

Reaction Score
Nova has some sucess playing with a great point guard....but Purdue' dominated Nova with 7'3 Matt Haarms in the paint.

Nova has a problem with a good biggie up front...Haarms put up 18 points...9 rebounds.

And..in the tournament...there are teams that can take advantage of the small lineup you predict.

Reaction Score
Yes, we lost a few games last year and only have 2 National Titles in the last 4 years. It’s true there is room for improvement.

I’ll take my team against yours, and we’ll take 8 of 10.

Reaction Score
Yes, we lost a few games last year and only have 2 National Titles in the last 4 years. It’s true there is room for improvement.

I’ll take my team against yours, and we’ll take 8 of 10.

In football, baseball, basketball, or a combination?

Yeah..Nova had a good basketball team a couple of seasons back...and has won two championships in the last 30 years...good show.

But Nova is a niche program with one trick pony....

Baseball was horrible this year, even playing in a lame league...won .235 of their conference games.

Football....bad, even swimming in the kiddie pool...losing 75% of the conference games.

Basketball...OK...they won a first round game before being pounded by Purdue.

Reaction Score
"But Nova is a niche program with one trick pony.. "

Spot on. It will run as long as Jay Wright sticks. Once he's gone, new ballgame.

Reaction Score
The Big East is entitled to the anniversary since Aresco sold the titular history of the conference to the New York-based LLC in 2013.

Just as the present day Boston Celtics aren't the original line of ownership (when Irv Levin "traded" for the ownership of the Buffalo Braves) but the C's maintain its historical timeline, so does the Big East.

Irv Levin - Wikipedia

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom