Happy 40th The Big East | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Happy 40th The Big East

Reaction Score
Basketball or Football?

At FSU, it’s neither. 3 conference wins for its marquee program, and a spot in the Cuse woodshed. Ouch.

Oh Jeez...Nova is a small time school...

Football? ....Hardly existant. Did you know that Nova could not even schedule 11 games next year? They are going to play an exhibition game against a Canadian club team in Buffalo that won't count as a game. A 10 game schedule.

Baseball?....hardly existant. Nova baseball guys this time of season are gathered around the TV to watch real college baseball. Some maybe watched FSU win a Super.

Basketball?...should be the one trick...but last year didn't go as far as even FSU. But I suspect that Nova should be good next year.

But what we are talking about is not Nova....but the Big East....which, sort of like the British Empire, had their day in the sun.

The Big East had their Kodak moment...but, like Kodak, has found that the world changed around them.

Reaction Score
But what we are talking about is not Nova....but the Big East....which, sort of like the British Empire, had their day in the sun.

Bud, you keep on talking about Nova, and you keep on with this fantasy about a decline, which is ridiculous as we have won 2 of the last 4 national titles, we won our conference last year, we are the winningest program over the last 5 years, and we have another great class coming in and are projected Top 10 for next year.

We beat your stinkin' hoops team last year, and your hoops program has no real history of success. You did elevate from the metro to the ACC so there is cash, but your hoops program is just not one of the top 5 in your conference, and has no history. No national titles and one stand alone Final Four before the modern era.

Your signature program is football and that program is in free-fall. You couldn't retain your coach and you have been drubbed for the past 2 years. Jimbo is ancient history.

You therefore resort to other sports which no one watches. Is our field hockey team better than yours? I have no idea and I don't care.

Your academics are inferior, your hoops program is inferior, and your football program is in the tank.

Yes, your football program is still higher profile than those of Nova, Georgetown, Marquette, and UConn. Congratulations. Enjoy your wins against Northern Illinois, Samford, and 3 of the lower conference match-ups. Celebrate that success.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Best Football Teams in Florida
Tier 1 - UCF (12-1), Florida (10-3), Miami (7-6)
Tier 2 - FIU (9-4), USF (7-6), FA (5-7), FSU (5-7)

Even in an era where losing teams can become bowl eligible, FSU sat home.

Of those 7 losses last year, they were by an AVERAGE deficit of 24 points. 3 TDS and a FG!

Good job with that 4th quarter comebacker vs. FCS Samford though. Good win for your signature program.

Where have you gone, Jimbo? Be careful of that glass house, Bud!

Maybe you can aspire to be more like Duke, BC, and Wake (small private schools) and become bowl eligible next year.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Zissou...LOL

Flailing about...

...The New Big East is like the fabled Brigadoon...it comes alive for a month and then disappears into the mist.

Now..the ACC...they won both the basketball and football NC's last year. And they will be playing baseball in the CWS.

The Big East ain't the Big East of old....The AAC is already moving past them.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Which Florida football program has vacated the most wins? At least FSU is #1 on one list.

You look down on private schools, yet you had 6 on the schedule last year, and only went 3-3.

That 4th quarter comeback vs. Samford kept you 0.500 vs. private schools, yet still not bowl eligible.

Your "signature win" was against a private New England Catholic school last year. Congrats again.

Reaction Score
Congrats. I was guessing you at least matriculated elementary school.
Wow. You are a real comedian.

Go take your desperation elsewhere. For the love of the mother of God. Wait, God has a mother??

Reaction Score
Zissou...yes FSU has had a couple of down years in football...yet is still top ten in wins over the last ten seasons.

But even in their worst season in 40 years, FSU was lightyears ahead of Villanova. Sagarin had FSU as being 86 places higher ranked than #153 ranked Nova.

And, here is the deal...FSU will have an upward swing in football...something, that if Villanova ever did have, would not be noticed.

Reaction Score
Wow. You are a real comedian.

Go take your desperation elsewhere. For the love of the mother of God. Wait, God has a mother??

Oh my God Butch !

Some Jesuit beyond the pearly gate is rolling his eyes and saying.." Fifty rosaries is your penance".

"Holy Mary, mother of God
pray for us sinners now
and athe hour of our death."

Reaction Score
Zissou...yes FSU has had a couple of down years in football...yet is still top ten in wins over the last ten seasons.

Racking up wins over Samford and Northern Illinois!

Most of those 10 years you had Jimbo! Your tank is empty.

Football is down and basketball was never any good!

Go UCF. MFGA.

Reaction Score
No Sissyou..

Racking up wins over Florida, Michigan, Notre Dame, Michigan Florida, Ok. State, Auburn....teams that Nova, even in your most delusionary sweat dreams, could not play.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Is there anything better when fans of other teams come to the BY to argue with each other. I mean we are really so very interested in your little pissing contests. So thanks so much for doing it here. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
No Sissyou..

Racking up wins over Florida, Michigan, Notre Dame, Michigan Florida, Ok. State, Auburn....teams that Nova, even in your most delusionary sweat dreams, could not play.
You don’t want to look back two or four years in hoops, but you want to look back ten in football.

Ok, 10 years ago Nova was NCAA division 1 champs in football.

Nova is among the few programs to win division 1 titles in both basketball and football.

FSU? Nope.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
How do you know this version of the Big East is dead? When a fan from the only nationally relevant program in the conference stops by from time to time just to create threads like this.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
What’s dumb is you actually believe we are going to get into one of those conferences. If it didn’t happen when we were on top, why would it happen now? Is the ACC or B10 looking for programs who can’t even beat FCS level teams? If so then we are a lock!

CR has always been and will always be about money. And unless something changed in the new AAC media deal, leaving the Big East has always been an incredibly silly financial idea.

Let's say UConn left the AAC to go to the Big East. Here is what it would do to UConn's already thin wallet...

1. Upfront exit fee of $10M AND 27 month exit wait...
...OR...
...Upfront exit fee negotiated ~ $11M-$12M and 12 month exit wait

2. TV revenue drops from around $7M/yr to $5M/yr.

3. TV exposure drops from ESPN/ESPN+ platforms to FOX sports platforms...about 1/3 the exposure that we get under ESPN.

So to summarize, UConn would be legally obligated to pay $10M-$12M and wait 12-27 months to leave a conference that pays $2M/yr MORE and offers UConn FAR more media exposure than the new one they'd be joining.

Now THAT is dumb.

Reaction Score
It’s amazing how many dumb UConn fans we have on this board.

UConn would love to be in the Big East

Don’t know who you are talking to but my family likes UConn right where it is for now.. if we move at all hopefully it will be to a P5 not down sizing to a lower conference with a lower dollar conference with with a limited tv network. Thank you very much.

Reaction Score
Don’t know who you are talking to but my family likes UConn right where it is for now.. if we move at all hopefully it will be to a P5 not down sizing to a lower conference with a lower dollar conference with with a limited tv network. Thank you very much.
My family is alright with it to for now. But I hate to break it to you. We are in the minority. If you ask fans across the state they aren’t happy with the conference or football team. Most of them would want to be the new Big East

Reaction Score
My family is alright with it to for now. But I hate to break it to you. We are in the minority. If you ask fans across the state they aren’t happy with the conference or football team. Most of them would want to be the new Big East
I am pretty sure more would prefer to be in the Big Ten, the ACC or the Big 12.

Holy cow. When I was young, I thought humans were actually intelligent. I've learned quite the opposite is true.

Reaction Score
I am pretty sure more would prefer to be in the Big Ten, the ACC or the Big 12.

Holy cow. When I was young, I thought humans were actually intelligent. I've learned quite the opposite is true.
That’s not what I was saying. If you asked fans if they want to be in the AAC or the New Big East. I bet you most people pick Big East.

Reaction Score
That’s not what I was saying. If you asked fans if they want to be in the AAC or the New Big East. I bet you most people pick Big East.
And did you read posts saying the Big East is a step backward?

Reaction Score
And did you read posts saying the Big East is a step backward?
It’s a step forward for basketball. It’s a step backwards for football and some other sports.

I never said it was the right or wrong move. But people who think UConn doesn’t have any interest in the Big East are wrong. There have been multiple reports claiming discussions have been had between the two.

A good majority of UConn basketball fans (who make up most of the total fan base) would tell you they rather be in the big east over aac. Most don’t think believe UConn can get into the ACC or B10

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom