Happy 40th The Big East | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Happy 40th The Big East

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
"But Nova is a niche program with one trick pony.. "

52117857_124434471949582_6635247918632880315_n.jpg

Reaction Score
70% of The Big East is from old Big East members prior to when UConn and Cincy were left behind. 50% of The Big East is from the 80s classic line-up.

In comparison, less than 50% of the ACC is from their classic 80s line-up (that did not include the metro’s Florida State).

The Big East retained its name, its MSG contract, and its conference history in the split. UConn and Cincy retained most of the cash that was in the bank. That was the agreement.

The AAC was able to keep the Providence offices, so you have that going for you.

The Big East set up offices in NYC, which was long overdue anyway.

The Big East just turned 40. It took the 80s by storm when it was started, and has won 2 of the last 4 championships. It is admittedly a basketball-first conference and embraces that identity. It is routinely a Top 5 conference in an era of P5 football money. Not bad.

Reaction Score
The Big East is entitled to the anniversary since Aresco sold the titular history of the conference to the New York-based LLC in 2013.

Just as the present day Boston Celtics aren't the original line of ownership (when Irv Levin "traded" for the ownership of the Buffalo Braves) but the C's maintain its historical timeline, so does the Big East.

Irv Levin - Wikipedia
Are you serious? How the heck can you compare the 2 transactions? That's being desperate. The NBE is a NEW CONFERENCE with an old name. Kinda like the Charlotte Hornets.

Reaction Score
Oh Jeez...."classic 80's line up" ?

Going back to reminisce about 35 years ago?

The Big East is like an old spinster going through her scrapbook, whistfully fingering a dried up corsage while thinking of days when the world was hers.

Reaction Score
Are you serious? How the heck can you compare the 2 transactions? That's being desperate. The NBE is a NEW CONFERENCE with an old name. Kinda like the Charlotte Hornets.
The Charlotte Hornets is a NEW CONFERENCE?

Who knew?

Reaction Score
The Big East is like an old spinster going through her scrapbook, whistfully fingering a dried up corsage while thinking of days when the world was hers.

That’s hilarious coming from a Florida State fan. How many Final Fours for FSU? When was your last one? Before you were in the Metro?

Reaction Score
I just looked up FSU’s football record last year. Ouch. Losing record overall and in conference. 3 conference wins.

And that washed up Nova basketball program beat FSU last year. Yep, that storied FSU program that hasn’t seen the Final Four in the modern era.

At least FSU paved the way for Louisville to the ACC. Having a lower academic school from the metro already in probably helped.

If Nova’s basketball program is in decline because they lost 2 of the 4 years, you must have a lot of self loathing billybud, and not much respect for UConn.

Personally, I love the college history, I respect what UConn has done, and if they ever came back to the BE I’d welcome them and their championship history.

What’s your excuse, Bud?

Oh, and a 30-7 loss to Cuse? Oh my!

Reaction Score
70% of The Big East is from old Big East members prior to when UConn and Cincy were left behind. 50% of The Big East is from the 80s classic line-up.

In comparison, less than 50% of the ACC is from their classic 80s line-up (that did not include the metro’s Florida State).

The Big East retained its name, its MSG contract, and its conference history in the split. UConn and Cincy retained most of the cash that was in the bank. That was the agreement.

The AAC was able to keep the Providence offices, so you have that going for you.

The Big East set up offices in NYC, which was long overdue anyway.

The Big East just turned 40. It took the 80s by storm when it was started, and has won 2 of the last 4 championships. It is admittedly a basketball-first conference and embraces that identity. It is routinely a Top 5 conference in an era of P5 football money. Not bad.
Sorry Charlie, the Big East is dead. Whatever it is that calls itself the Big East now is an Imposter.

Reaction Score
The fact that you spend so much time on the Uconn fan board says a heck of a lot about what's left of the big east. Actions speak much more clear than words on a computer.
Actions are our 2 recent titles.

I have some CT connections, and I’m for welcoming UConn if it decides it would like to join.

It’s a Conference Realignment board, most UConn fans I know aren’t happy being in the AAC, and some would like to be in the Big East. Those that don’t resent the Big East, I guess.

Reaction Score
I just looked up FSU’s football record last year. Ouch. Losing record overall and in conference. 3 conference wins.

And that washed up Nova basketball program beat FSU last year. Yep, that storied FSU program that hasn’t seen the Final Four in the modern era.

At least FSU paved the way for Louisville to the ACC. Having a lower academic school from the metro already in probably helped.

If Nova’s basketball program is in decline because they lost 2 of the 4 years, you must have a lot of self loathing billybud, and not much respect for UConn.

Personally, I love the college history, I respect what UConn has done, and if they ever came back to the BE I’d welcome them and their championship history.

What’s your excuse, Bud?

Oh, and a 30-7 loss to Cuse? Oh my!

What? Hurt your feelings

Want to talk about the one trick pony

FSU is a national brand...in football, baseball, and recently, basketball.

Villanova? They only play one sport I think.

And yes...the last couple of years haven't been great football years...but even with the worst record in 40 years, FSU is #10 in total wins for the last 10 years.

Villanova has their niche...and if that continues slipping...they will fade into a shadow of Creighton.

Reaction Score
The Big East that once was, is not.

A glimpse of the future:

Last season...Villanova was top of the Big East standings....and finished ranked behind five ACC teams and even four SEC teams for gawd's sake.

In fact, I expect to see more of Memphis in future tournament Sweet Sixteens than I do Nova.

Reaction Score
The Big East is a boutique conference and shares nothing beyond the name with the robust original product.

Reaction Score
It’s understandable that a FSU fan would start rooting for Memphis. Not much to root for at FSU.

You want to go back ten years in football to when you had a different coach? Keep fingering your corsage bud.

You like the metric of wins over time. 2 and 4 years is ancient history for Nova, but you want to go back 10 years for FSU?

How do Nova and FSU basketball rank in wins over the last 5 years?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The BIg East has become a shell of the former conference...no football, poor baseball...and yes they do play basketball, it just isn't the glory days.

The BE, as a conference, has been relegated down.

As the the tectonic plates shifted and the tide ebbed, Villanova became trapped in the BE tidal pool. Trapped in the small pool, thrashing about as they hear the crashing of waves of the larger sea so near by.

UConn, Memphis, UCF...all swim in the all sport big sea. And it is true that there are sharks in that big sea with which they must compete.

Last edited:

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
It’s a Conference Realignment board, most UConn fans I know aren’t happy being in the AAC, and some would like to be in the Big East. Those that don’t resent the Big East, I guess.

...or we don't want to sign the death certificate of UConn as a major athletics program. Please go away, troll.

Reaction Score
...or we don't want to sign the death certificate of UConn as a major athletics program. Please go away, troll.
Big East = Irrelevance.
How can some UConn fans not understand that.

Reaction Score
If the AAC is where really where it's at, enjoy that road trip to the Dickies Arena next March. But that's not what UConn basketball was ever about.

For the Big East, it's five more sold out sessions at the Garden next season and a chance to add to a lifetime of great memories. Would that the Huskies could be a part of it. Maybe you can buy out DePaul.

Reaction Score
The BIg East has become a shell of the former conference...no football

You worry about FSU’s implosion.

The Big East is just fine. It was a basketball conference first, and it’s again a basketball-first conference.

FSU never really had much of a basketball program, and now football is in tatters. It’s true FSU is a brand, and so is Blockbuster. FSU is now the 4th best football program in its home state.

Take all of the shots you want at Nova. 2 of the last 4 titles and we are coming back for more. FSU has nothing, taking beatdowns from Syracuse. Nova’s FCS program would play Cuse tighter and probably beat FSU straight up. 3 conference wins is pathetic.

Reaction Score
Nova football???

Are you kidding me? Nova lost to Towson...and Stony Brook...and Maine...and was slaughtered 34-0 by freekin' New Hampshire.

FSU, even in its worst season in the last 40, would be favored by 30 points over tinker-toy Villanova.

Dream on....

Reaction Score
Nova football???

Are you kidding me? Nova lost to Towson...and Stony Brook...and Maine...and was slaughtered 34-0 by freekin' New Hampshire.

FSU, even in its worst season in the last 40, would be favored by 30 points over tinker-toy Villanova.

Dream on....
Neither team is good. It would be a close contest.

In Hoops, if UConn and Nova did nothing over the next 20 years they would still have bragging rights over FSU. FSU hoops history is just mediocre, an ACC wannabe that just is a middling Metro program at its heart. FSU will always just be schedule fodder for the top of the ACC, and the football program looks like it regressed to similar status.

4th rate in Florida. Ouch.

Reaction Score
No...it would only be a close football contest in the mind of a deluded dreamer. New Hampshire knocked the bloody snot out of poor old Nova.

True...FSU is not a basketball behomoth...but still is a decent team.

Last year they played six games against the tourney's top four seeds....now that is tough on your record...and they did beat Purdue....

And played in the ACC Title Game.

And, unlike the one trick pony, are playing Div. I baseball still...

But this isn't about FSU...who will remain relevant.

It is about the Big East being a relic confrence with limited national relevance...and none at all outside of the month of March.

Reaction Score
And to be fair...the Big East has maintained their culture.

I do think that there is value to that.

Reaction Score
If the AAC is where really where it's at, enjoy that road trip to the Dickies Arena next March. But that's not what UConn basketball was ever about.

For the Big East, it's five more sold out sessions at the Garden next season and a chance to add to a lifetime of great memories. Would that the Huskies could be a part of it. Maybe you can buy out DePaul.
Things change. We've come a long way from the Yankee Conference. Look at where our ex-Yankee Conference mates are now. Thanks to PC for the invite to the old Big East.

Reaction Score
Neither team is good. It would be a close contest.

In Hoops, if UConn and Nova did nothing over the next 20 years they would still have bragging rights over FSU. FSU hoops history is just mediocre, an ACC wannabe that just is a middling Metro program at its heart. FSU will always just be schedule fodder for the top of the ACC, and the football program looks like it regressed to similar status.

4th rate in Florida. Ouch.
Folks, this provincial rube is exactly why the Big East is a boutique conference that is Big East in name only.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom