Hamilton Update | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Hamilton Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Hamilton is a 5-star, top 20 ranked kid...good luck finding someone in 2014 with those kind of accolades.
And if he signs elsewhere good luck finding someone in 2014.

Reaction Score
I'm in the middle category. I'll leave it at this...I trust Kevin. I trust him to know whether Daniel is solid or not and to a have an understanding with the kid that if he wavers, he'll call KO immediately. He does owe UConn that much, that's just common decency. He's a stud, and we can't replace him in this class, so it isn't worth trying. The reality is he plays the position where we have the most depth anyway, so we'd be ok without him next year.
My contention is still one in the hand is worth two in the bush. The recruiting process has gotten worse and worse in recent years. There is a lot of sleaze out there and it is just a real bad scenario in general.

Reaction Score
We've lost commits before (Ramar Smith, Cleveland Melvin, Mo Harkless, etc.). Life goes on. And I see no reason at this point to worry that his commitment isn't as solid as it's ever been.

Given that his older brother has lost a year of eligibility that he can never get back, it makes perfect sense if he decides he's not going to sign anything binding. We can say there's no way Ollie will leave or there's no way the NCAA will put us on probation again, but there's no reason for the Hamilton family to consider that a 100 percent sure thing. They have evidence to the contrary that stuff happens.

People here are saying "until he signs, I'm not convinced", but why not just say that until he says he's opening up his recruitment, he's on board? A LOI just makes us feel better - it does nothing for him.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
And if he signs elsewhere good luck finding someone in 2014.

I'm fully aware of this. So why should we give Hamilton a reason to back out of his commitment by recruiting a lesser player at his position in his class?

Reaction Score
My contention is still one in the hand is worth two in the bush. The recruiting process has gotten worse and worse in recent years. There is a lot of sleaze out there and it is just a real bad scenario in general.

If we went by your way of thinking, we never get Caron, Rashad, DeAndre and who knows who else.

Recruiting has always been sleazy. The UCLA dynasty of the 60s was one part John Wooden, one part Sam Gilbert/recruiting sleaze.

Reaction Score
He is 17- he loves KO and has said nothing to make anyone think he is backing out. The talking heads and haters love to write that makes people read what they write. HE he comes he comes- if he does not then we will do the best we can without him and move on.

KO is nearly a preacher- who is going to back out on a preacher?

Reaction Score
Until he decides to go somewhere else. I'm old school, sign the LOI or, at least come out and confirm your comitt meant. Until then, I assume he's not coming.
I'm with you on this CA. If he isn't going to sign his LOI, which I understand why he's probably not going to do so due to how things played out with his brother, he should at least make a public announcement so that both the fans and other programs know that at least at this moment he's intending to go to UConn. Note, I'm not talking about a statement from his coach or dad relayed through some reporter, but a direct quote! I realize it's his prerogative to handle this as he likes. This is just my opinion in what I'd like to see him and any recruit do that tells a coach that he's going to join his program but does not want to sign his LOI.

In fact that might work in his favor in that he and his family won't constantly be bothered by coaches who might continue to recruit him. With that said, there will always be some coaches out there who won't hesitate to try to pry a recruit away from the school he has committed to.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Do high school kids have the right to decide where they will attend college? Yes
Does it make me feel uncomfortable that DHam is not going to sign an LOI? Yes
Is that a reason to criticize the kid or make a public stink about recruiting a replacment? NO
Best case scenario: DHam shows up as promised in the Fall of 2014 & his skills dramatically improve the Huskies' opportunities for success.
Worst case scenario: DHam decides to take his talents elsewhere at the last minute and UConn cannot find a replacement at that point.
Potential mitigating circumstances: DD and/or RB come back for their senior year and we have plenty left in the cupboard for success (RP coming, TS, OC, AB, PN, KF, LT all returning and we add Sam Cassell, Jr. and Rock Lubin) & then address the recruiting deficit in the 2015 and 2016 classes.
Chances that pulling my hair out or posting neurotic thoughts on the boneyard will make a difference in this scenario: 0%
Remember the Serenity Prayer!

Reaction Score
I'm with you on this CA. If he isn't going to sign his LOI, which I understand why he's probably not going to do so due to how things played out with his brother, he should at least make a public announcement so that both the fans and other programs know that at least at this moment he's intending to go to UConn. Note, I'm not talking about a statement from his coach or dad relayed through some reporter, but a direct quote! I realize it's his prerogative to handle this as he likes. This is just my opinion in what I'd like to see him and any recruit do that tells a coach that he's going to join his program but does not want to sign his LOI.

In fact that might work in his favor in that he and his family won't constantly be bothered by coaches who might continue to recruit him. With that said, there will always be some coaches out there who won't hesitate to try to pry a recruit away from the school he has committed to.

Good Lord, he just tweeted that he "loves his UConn fam" after his recent visit. That is a direct quote, what else do you want, a press conference? I understand the angst to a point but put yourself in his shoes for a moment. Would you feel the need to make some kind of announcement to put bulletin board posters at ease? Ridiculous, right? It seems clear he is communicating with the coaching staff who are quite comfortable with his committment. He may owe some reassurance to Ollie which it sounds like he has given. He owes us absolutely nothing and is probaby smart to not even acknowledge our existence.

Reaction Score
Good Lord, he just tweeted that he "loves his UConn fam" after his recent visit. That is a direct quote, what else do you want, a press conference? I understand the angst to a point but put yourself in his shoes for a moment. Would you feel the need to make some kind of announcement to put bulletin board posters at ease? Ridiculous, right? It seems clear he is communicating with the coaching staff who are quite comfortable with his committment. He may owe some reassurance to Ollie which it sounds like he has given. He owes us absolutely nothing and is probaby smart to not even acknowledge our existence.
And we owe him nothing at this point.

Reaction Score
I don't understand why fans feel entitled to get worked up over someone's life decisions when the only thing at stake for us is how enjoyable it is to watch a basketball team play.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Remember the Serenity Prayer!
Serenity Now?
6a00d83452cd1869e201539198016c970b-800wi.jpg

Reaction Score
That UConn should kick him to the curb for not signing the moment the signing period began.

I wanted to believe that nobody would be that foolish. Glad he's not calling the shots.

Reaction Score
Best case scenario: DHam shows up as promised in the Fall of 2014 & his skills dramatically improve the Huskies' opportunities for success.
Worst case scenario: DHam decides to take his talents elsewhere at the last minute and UConn cannot find a replacement at that point.
Potential mitigating circumstances: DD and/or RB come back for their senior year and we have plenty left in the cupboard for success (RP coming, TS, OC, AB, PN, KF, LT all returning and we add Sam Cassell, Jr. and Rock Lubin) & then address the recruiting deficit in the 2015 and 2016 classes.

If we lose out on Hamilton, but DD comes back for his senior year, we won't be in too bad a shape on the court.

I'd be more concerned about the perception problem and what it tells recruits in 2015 and 2016. I think that if Hamilton bails, it becomes that much more difficult to convince stud recruits that UConn is an appropriate landing spot for top-tier talent. I'd be worried about the snowball effect.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
If we lose out on Hamilton, but DD comes back for his senior year, we won't be in too bad a shape on the court.

I'd be more concerned about the perception problem and what it tells recruits in 2015 and 2016. I think that if Hamilton bails, it becomes that much more difficult to convince stud recruits that UConn is an appropriate landing spot for top-tier talent. I'd be worried about the snowball effect.
Don't worry, Be Happy!

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score

I understand where you're coming from, but a 25+ win reg. season, and a deep run in the tourney should ultimately remedy this concern."......DHam or not

Last edited:
Reaction Score
When I first read that Hamilton wasn't going to sign his letter, I thought that he was leaving his options open. Now I'm not so sure. All I can say with some certainty is that UTEP left a bad taste in his parent's mouth!

Reaction Score
He could also come, only stay for a year, and scare off 2015s and 2016s who can play the wing.

No single recruit has a long-range effect on a program's reputation. Harkless bailed, his handlers said bad things about us, we won a title and Daniels took his spot. And forward we go.

Reaction Score
Neal Nieves is the lead beat writer for the UCLA Rivals website, not sure what exactly the sport but he's at some sporting event involving DHam's HS

Neal Nieves ‏@NealNieves
Just got to Bosco, Dominguez Prep vs Bosco. 2-0 in the 1st half.

Neal Nieves ‏@NealNieves
Also Daniel Hamilton's mother is here decked out in UCONN gear.
He's the beat writer for their basketball team.

Neal Nieves ‏@NealNieves27m
@arteus_crook I only tweet what I see. Some people tweet what they want and have no clue what's going on. Lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom