Hamilton Update | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Hamilton Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

caw

Reaction Score
He is not wavering....

...now.

The only good thing for UConn is that the draft is so deep at this point, it may dissuade all but the top players from leaving for the NBA after this year. There may not be as many open scholarships at other schools come summer.

Pretty much, but hey Supposedly this is what Brandon Knight did also. Let's get Cassell and Lubins LOIs and let Ollie worry about Hamilton.

Reaction Score
This thread is ridiculous. At no point has he said he's not coming, it's just the analysts "opinion" based on no factual evidence. The kid just came out for the MD game and took a trip to campus. Everything he says and tweets is all UConn all the time.

Reaction Score
Much ado about nothing in my opinion. The kid hasn't done or said anything to indicate he is wavering in fact quite the opposite. He flew cross country to watch UConn and meet with Ollie again and then tweeted positive things. Everybody is worried about what he hasn't done, sign an LOI. He is not going to for the reasons explained here ad nauseum. If he ultimately changed his mind I 'm not even sure how much deterrent the LOI would provide anyway. There is no downside for him not signing so why do it? I consider him fully in UConn's camp and will focus my worry on this year's rebounding.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
he knows first and forehand that signing a loi is stupid. i'm sure his brother has told him to wait as well

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
Why would these kids want to sign LOIs if they don't have to?

There are so many things that can change before they show up on campus. Coaches leaving for other jobs, coaches being fired, players leaving or not leaving. Add to this the increased number of one and dones where they want to get in and get their playing time right away. Coaches are pushing for rule changes where any player that transfers has to sit out a year no matter what. APR rules that can make a team ineligible after the fall signing period. The whole system is so unstable it really makes no sense for high rated recruits to sign until they know the situation is absolutely perfect for them.

Reaction Score
Why would these kids want to sign LOIs if they don't have to?

There are so many things that can change before they show up on campus. Coaches leaving for other jobs, coaches being fired, players leaving or not leaving. Add to this the increased number of one and dones where they want to get in and get their playing time right away. Coaches are pushing for rule changes where any player that transfers has to sit out a year no matter what. APR rules that can make a team ineligible after the fall signing period. The whole system is so unstable it really makes no sense for high rated recruits to sign until they know the situation is absolutely perfect for them.

You have to be offered the option of a scholarship. If the school doesn't offer you that, then you have to find another landing spot. The same courtesy would not be offered to, say, the #60 player overall.

caw

Reaction Score
1) a decent number probably don't know the rule regarding LOI versus other options

2) a coach does need to actually offer the other option, most coaches probably won't unless the kid is worth it

3) some actually have dream schools (Drummond) they are going to no matter what

4) most top 20 kids (those who are worth it) sign with stable programs and don't think anything will change

5) some just want the craziness that is recruiting to end, theoretically that happens when one signs a LOI and sends it in.

Reaction Score
He does not have to sign the LOI but he could come out publicly and make a firm statement.
Of all the things said in this thread this one stands out.

The program will not be able to comment on Hamilton (or any recruit to that matter) until he either signs his LOI or enrolls next spring (or summer school???). It would be a nice gesture to the fan base if Daniel or someone from his family made an official announcement that he's planning on attending UConn even though he is not signing an LOI. He doesn't owe us that, but it would be nice since the program can't say anything and those who cover recruiting will report whatever they want, which often includes misinformation.

Reaction Score

The program will not be able to comment on Hamilton (or any recruit to that matter) until he either signs his LOI or enrolls next spring (or summer school???). It would be a nice gesture to the fan base if Daniel or someone from his family made an official announcement that he's planning on attending UConn even though he is not signing an LOI. He doesn't owe us that, but it would be nice since the program can't say anything and those who cover recruiting will report whatever they want, which often includes misinformation.

It didn't have the LOI qualifier attached to it but his father did say in Sept that Daniel would be honoring his committment to UConn while Isaac would be attending a school in the LA area(this was right before he committed to UCLA).

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score

They have several times just not recently.

Reaction Score
It didn't have the LOI qualifier attached to it but his father did say in Sept that Daniel would be honoring his committment to UConn while Isaac would be attending a school in the LA area(this was right before he committed to UCLA).
Now was there an article dedicated to that or was that second hand report within some larger article.

I'd like to see some announcement from Daniel or his Dad at this time (signing period) to put it to bed...for now. Obviously, that September statement or whatever it was has been grossly ignored by many in the media who keep on saying his commitment is shaky.

Reaction Score
Well it's also partially the fact he hasn't signed (and may never sign any LOI). It gives the media plenty to speculate on, esp. after his brother switched.

I don't think Daniel will go elsewhere, but he's smart enough to leave himself room to switch, after his brothers issues. Plus if his Grandmother is actually that sick, well, who knows.

The sick grandmother thing is an excuse. If I wanted to I could bend over backwards to justify a reason to go to any particular place in the country. Elder Hamilton desperately wanted out of UTEP (no exposure, no future) and into UCLA (much more exposure).

Hopfeully Daniel still thinks that we're a viable place to hone and showcase his abilities.

Reaction Score
Now was there an article dedicated to that or was that second hand report within some larger article.

I'd like to see some announcement from Daniel or his Dad at this time (signing period) to put it to bed...for now. Obviously, that September statement or whatever it was has been grossly ignored by many in the media who keep on saying his commitment is shaky.

Greg Hamilton said his son will pursue finding a school, preferably a Pac-12 school in the Los Angeles area. Hamilton said Isaac could get a scholarship and attend academically, but he wouldn't be able to play this season.

"We will get him in school and enroll him," said Greg Hamilton, who added that Isaac has been at home during this process. "We know he'll have several opportunities. We want it to be in the Pac-12 so his mother can see him play, since she is the primary caretaker for his grandmother."

Greg Hamilton said his son Daniel will honor his commitment and go to UConn in the fall of 2014, meaning Daniel and his older brother Isaac would be in the same class. They have an older brother Jordan, who played at Texas and then for the Denver Nuggets.

"Daniel and Isaac won't be at the same school, but they will start college basketball the same year," Greg Hamilton said. "Isaac had a 3.6 GPA at St. John Bosco. He's strong academically and graduated with honors. Even though he won't be able to play yet, he will start his college career academically.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...amilton-denied-release-national-letter-intent

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score

Andy Katz article: http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/9642040/former-utep-signee-isaac-hamilton-denied-release-national-letter-intent

Reaction Score
He does not have to sign the LOI but he could come out publicly and make a firm statement.
Why? To make you, and other fans, feel better? Kid can do whatever the heck he wants. The fact that his actions are going to make fans nervous probably is, and definitely should be, of ZERO concern to him. In recruiting, I think we've learned enough to know that Fishy is right....until a kid is here and in class, he's not ours. And until a kid is somewhere else in class, he's not theirs. Why get your panties in a bunch about it?

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Greg Hamilton said his son will pursue finding a school, preferably a Pac-12 school in the Los Angeles area. Hamilton said Isaac could get a scholarship and attend academically, but he wouldn't be able to play this season.

"We will get him in school and enroll him," said Greg Hamilton, who added that Isaac has been at home during this process. "We know he'll have several opportunities. We want it to be in the Pac-12 so his mother can see him play, since she is the primary caretaker for his grandmother."

Greg Hamilton said his son Daniel will honor his commitment and go to UConn in the fall of 2014, meaning Daniel and his older brother Isaac would be in the same class. They have an older brother Jordan, who played at Texas and then for the Denver Nuggets.

"Daniel and Isaac won't be at the same school, but they will start college basketball the same year," Greg Hamilton said. "Isaac had a 3.6 GPA at St. John Bosco. He's strong academically and graduated with honors. Even though he won't be able to play yet, he will start his college career academically.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...amilton-denied-release-national-letter-intent
First time I read this line... We want it to be in the Pac-12 so his mother can see him play, since she is the primary caretaker for his grandmother.

Maybe mom has more pull over Isaac than Daniel? hmmm....

Reaction Score
If the trend is for recruits to not sign the LOI, it's going to be progressively harder for coaches to assemble their recruiting classes since a recruit can back out at any time.

I wonder if you'll begin to see coaches over-recruit, if that would be even possible, where they can do the same thing these recruits are doing, backing off their word once they see what shakes out in the spring.

What's really going to happen (or has started happening the past few years) is that the highly ranked recruits, or better put, the recruits that believe there is great demand for them and they will likely be able to choose wherever they want to go, will not be signing any LOIs while those who feel their demand isn't quite as big will sign the LOIs to lock in a ship to where they want to land.

I might be wrong, but until the list of those who don't sign grows much larger than the top 10 or so (some top 20) recruits, UConn will not be impacted all that often. But that doesn't mean the impact won't have big ramifications. If UConn were to lose an elite player that fills a huge need, such as a PG for instance, it could make what could have been an elite team a flawed team if they were to lose that recruit late in the process and not have a legit D1 talent to replace that recruit.

The programs that could really feel its impact are the handful of programs that either have multiple soft commitments or are holding out for a bunch of elite recruits and end up losing them in the end.

Frankly, I'm conflicted with this. On one hand, I can't blame a recruit or his family who does not want to get screwed by some program (or the NCAA) that won't let them out of their LOI if they have a legit reason such as a coaching change, family situation, or the player is recruited over when the program told them they wouldn't. I'm sure there are some other reasons we could add to this list.

On the other hand, it's not fair for a program and its fans, to think they have a recruit (or recruits) that is filling a need who decides to bail after the program no longer has many options if any. In most instances, the up-and-up programs stop recruiting other players at their position.

I'm really not sure if there is any perfect process. There will be flaws no matter what one you choose and there will always be people who will abuse it.

As much as I can't blame Daniel for changing his mind, if that were to happen, I would still be pissed if he were to do so, since UConn would have likely been able to get a good recruit, probably not as good though, if that type of decision was made during the summer while there were still irons in the fire.

Reaction Score
Strong basketball family. He's got great advisers, and whatever he is doing is advantageous to him. He's unique from that standpoint. Just fasten your seat-belts for precaution.

Reaction Score
From the Zags blog:

“Daniel is happy with the coach [Kevin Ollie],” Trigonis said. “He’s happy with the past people at his position. With the style of play he’ll do well there. He had a very good visit. He gets along with the players and with the coaching staff. Him not signing would not be a reflection on the coaching staff or the program. It would more be a reflection on the reality of him having gone through a problem with the older brother. The parents don’t want to be in that situation again.”

Reaction Score
I can't believe I am about to type this since I am beyond thrilled at the prospect of Dham in a Husky uniform, but if he doesn't want to firmly commit, I am less thrilled about landing him. We have a great program and arguably the best young coach in the game. Make it official, lace 'em up and win a championship.

Reaction Score
I can't believe I am about to type this since I am beyond thrilled at the prospect of Dham in a Husky uniform, but if he doesn't want to firmly commit, I am less thrilled about landing him. We have a great program and arguably the best young coach in the game. Make it official, lace 'em up and win a championship.

Seriously STFU. Because a kid wants to protect himself after seeing his brother get duckcked by a system everyone agrees is assinine he is somehow damaged goods!?!?

If the kid DID sign his LOI I would question his decision making.

Everyone needs to STFU about this it is a non story

Reaction Score
Seriously STFU. Because a kid wants to protect himself after seeing his brother get duckcked by a system everyone agrees is assinine he is somehow damaged goods!?!?

If the kid DID sign his LOI I would question his decision making.

Everyone needs to STFU about this it is a non story
a good rant needs a minimum of 3 "STFU's". otherwise, nice post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom